ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I think I'll do this just to do it

Well the dealers near me have many to choose from, so I think I may just do it for fun. What is it you ask? Simple, I'm talking about renting a Harley. I'm thinking about the Sportster 1200.

I see cruisers out there and I shrug, not really seeing why they like them so much. I like leaning into the turns and possibly dragging a knee (or getting close to it) and powering on as the exit comes. I suppose that is why I like the new XR1200. It is the closest thing HD has to a bike than handles pretty dang well in the turns (the sportster family all racks up in this dept, but the XR is setup for more corner carving than the std sportster)

So I figured for a simple $75, I can rent a bike from a local dealer and take it out for a day. That way I could put some miles on it, see what all the hype is about.

I guess I'm still following my "ride everything" idea I had many years ago. I was going to ride a friends track bike (R6) before he wrecked it. Now it is repaired, but I want him to enjoy his work for a while before I burden him with the worry that a 250 rider is piloting his modded R6. lol

I wish they had a nice dualsport to rent. I'd be all over that.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That's one of the benefits of meeting and riding with a bunch of other folks. I've gotten to ride just about all types of bikes over the years. It certainly takes some care choosing who you're comfortable trading bikes with for some miles, but it's always worked out for me. Generally anyone who I'm confident can and will write me a check to replace my crashed bike before they even pick it back up on the kickstand gets my OK.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That's one of the benefits of meeting and riding with a bunch of other folks. I've gotten to ride just about all types of bikes over the years. It certainly takes some care choosing who you're comfortable trading bikes with for some miles, but it's always worked out for me. Generally anyone who I'm confident can and will write me a check to replace my crashed bike before they even pick it back up on the kickstand gets my OK.
Just about all the guys I know are quite protective of their rides. So that really isn't an option for me.

Too bad for me!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

if you guys get a chance, come on down to daytona for bike week or biketoberfest all the manufacturers are there and let you test ride all the models. i must have ridden at least 25 bikes this year at bike week.
i think you can also get test rides at big events like if there is a race happening at a track near you too.
heck with the way things are going with the economy right now your local dealer may even let you take a few bikes out for a test ride.
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Mark, what about a Buell? The 1125's are coming with a Rotax now. Selling point in my book. I always thought the Buells were "sport" Harleys though... Am I missing something?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM   #6
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Two people I know own sportsters and I wasn't impressed by either when I rode.
One is a 1980's sporty 883. I'm not one to say a bike is too slow normally, but if you don't rev the crap out of it, it goes nowhere.
The other is a 2001 sporty 1200 and I wasn't impressed with it either, horrible suspension. Even the 1200 model is slower then the ninja.

One of the nicer Harleys I have ridden is my roommates 2008 Dynaglide. Even that I wouldn't buy though. The bike vibrates you to pieces at stopped, and at low speed turns the vibrations make it a pain to handle. I will give it the fact though that it is a FAST bike. It easily runs away from the ninja.

The only other cruiser style bike I have ridden was a suzuki savage, which is a 650 single cylinder bike. I would take that bike any day over the harleys I have ridden.

I love the look and sound of harleys (well not with straight open pipes), but I hate the ride of them.

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Apex,
Right now Harley is letting licensed riders test drive any bike free of charge. You can try a couple and save the 75 bucks.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

That xr1200 is cool. I sat on one at the dealer. He had 2, don't know if either went yet. Still a heavy bike though. Not sure how it compares price wise to the monster 1100 which is lighter and supposedly better handling. But for something different, harley with good handling and pretty good brakes, the xr might be all they say it is. That said my cousin had a xlcr harley (the cafe racer). Harley guys hated it, and sport guys hated it. No idea where it is now, but it does have a cult collector following.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
That xr1200 is cool. I sat on one at the dealer. He had 2, don't know if either went yet. Still a heavy bike though. Not sure how it compares price wise to the monster 1100 which is lighter and supposedly better handling. But for something different, harley with good handling and pretty good brakes, the xr might be all they say it is. That said my cousin had a xlcr harley (the cafe racer). Harley guys hated it, and sport guys hated it. No idea where it is now, but it does have a cult collector following.
Gregg, I had a XLCR. Bought it in 77 instead of a Kawi KZ 1000. I rode it for a short time and then put it away ( I would just ride it for Bike Week or special events). It was horrible. I have had tons of Sporsters and they were all better than the CR. I had a XR in 84. I raced it in BOTT and although I did amazingly well on it, I hated to ride it. My favorite Harley was my 87 Lowrider Anniversary. That bike was perfect. I just bought a 2003 Dyna Glide a few months ago. It is pretty nice but I haven't ridden it that long. I left it up in Rhode Island and put it up for sale (bought it right and plan on making some money with that one). Riding a Harley is different than riding a sport bike. You can't compare the two. They each have their good points and their faults.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; June 2nd, 2009 at 06:40 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Around here, you have to have a credit card with at least $2000 open credit on it to even think about renting a Harley. If you don't have that, the best you can get is sitting on one in the showroom and making "vroom vroom" noises.

They're only slightly less anal about test rides on the "test ride mules", but even then they're gonna talk your ear off for a few hours, then take all of your vital information and run your credit before allowing you out on a supervised ride. If your credit comes back even slightly blurry, they'll thank you for your time and ask you to come back with cash.

At least, that's the response my bother in law got last week, which seems very close to how one of my coworkers got treated, and neither one has a (claimed) credit rating below 675.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Gregg, I had a XLCR. Bought it in 77 instead of a Kawi KZ 1000. I rode it for a short time and then put it away ( I would just ride it for Bike Week or special events). It was horrible. I have had tons of Sporsters and they were all better than the CR. I had a XR in 84. I raced it in BOTT and although I did amazingly well on it, I hated to ride it. My favorite Harley was my 87 Lowrider Anniversary. That bike was perfect. I just bought a 2003 Dyna Glide a few months ago. It is pretty nice but I haven't ridden it that long. I left it up in Rhode Island and put it up for sale (bought it right and plan on making some money with that one). Riding a Harley is different than riding a sport bike. You can't compare the two. They each have their good points and their faults.
Yeah, I think his XLCR just became more of a conversation piece in the garage then anything else. People looked at it asked a question, then moved on. His had upside down shift pattern. Not sure if that was stock?? Wonder if the XR1200 will have a similar fate: cool to look at for a few minutes then move on to/ride something else.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Yeah, I think his XLCR just became more of a conversation piece in the garage then anything else. People looked at it asked a question, then moved on. His had upside down shift pattern. Not sure if that was stock?? Wonder if the XR1200 will have a similar fate: cool to look at for a few minutes then move on to/ride something else.
They do become nice collector pieces. If they ever decide on building a frame and swingarm so they handle Harley might be on to something. Until then they are just nice to look at.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #13
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

i donno for my money it simply doesn't get better than a kawasaki 1400 concourse. i've driven plenty of sport bikes and crusers. american, japanises and eruopean and if i ever wanted to move up to a cruiser type bike its definately what i would get. plus just look at it.. its so f-ing sexy
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM   #14
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

between bikes i got into the habit of renting a hog when i had the money to do so. i've ridden a heritage, road king and fat boy. they're fine machines, very comfortable, and large enuff so's that wife and i can both enjoy. there were 3 places to rent bikes at one time here on kauai, and a friend working at one place gave me major deals. the last time i got a rental it cost round 500 bucks for 4 days give or take some...and that was kama'aina (resident) rates.
when my attention turned to getting me another bike, the buell's seemed very attractive. i got to ride a friend's buell during a local bike run. it was one of his earliest models with a 1200cc engine. the bike WANTED to be ridden fast, was the impression i got. unfortunately it was one freaking uncomfortable beast. felt like i sat on a riding lawn-mower with a 2 x 4 piece of wood as a seat.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Friend and I swapped rides for bit yesterday, my 2009 250R for his 2005 883 low. I laughed as he accidentally clicked it in gear and stalled. Then I realized why - the throw on the shifter of the sportster was about an inch. Fun bike, nice torque, cool sound, but IMHO very heavy, lots of play in the controls (shifter for instance), and low ground clearance (again the low model). One thing that stood out for me was in 4 years and 7,000 miles the upper and lower fork tubes of that bike are in rough shape. The uppers can probably be reconditioned with some steel wool, but the sliders were severly pitted. don't know why as he doesn't ride in winter (road salt). Guess that 883 iron doesnt seem quite as attractive to me now. I mean what will that black powder coated engine which looks cool now look like in a few years?

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Friend and I swapped rides for bit yesterday, my 2009 250R for his 2005 883 low. I laughed as he accidentally clicked it in gear and stalled. Then I realized why - the throw on the shifter of the sportster was about an inch. Fun bike, nice torque, cool sound, but IMHO very heavy, lots of play in the controls (shifter for instance), and low ground clearance (again the low model). One thing that stood out for me was in 4 years and 7,000 miles the upper and lower fork tubes of that bike are in rough shape. The uppers can probably be reconditioned with some steel wool, but the sliders were severly pitted. don't know why as he doesn't ride in winter (road salt). Guess that 883 iron doesnt seem quite as attractive to me now. I mean what will that black powder coated engine which looks cool now look like in a few years?
Quoting myself, better than talking to myself I guess. I forgot to mention he had a blast on the 250R once I told him to rev it rather than short shift. He was blown away by the ability to pick a corner line and then change it at will. On the 883 you either commit to your line, or you widen it. Tough to decrease its radius.

Old June 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
i got to ride a friend's buell during a local bike run. it was one of his earliest models with a 1200cc engine. the bike WANTED to be ridden fast, was the impression i got. unfortunately it was one freaking uncomfortable beast. felt like i sat on a riding lawn-mower with a 2 x 4 piece of wood as a seat.
+100
I drove an older buell thunder bolt 1200 and it scared the crap out of me. I was going to buy it. then I test drove it. That speed demon in me showed his ugly face again. When I got back from the test drive the seller asked me what I thought. I replied seriously "Sorry, but its too fast for me" . While it put a smile on my face, I knew I would eventually get myself into trouble on it because I'm not to experienced and I'm still some what younger. I figure the inexperienced/immature squid in me wouldve been forced to come out and play at the wrong time.

I'd rent a Harley or a Buell though.

I just bought an new bike...well its old an 82 Yamaha xj650 maxim. And I couldnt be happier with it even though its for my old lady.

It revs surprisingly high for a cruiser though. 12k I recall.

While we all know we get blown around some on the ninjette compared to bigger bikes, I noticed while riding the maxim that it likes to sit in the lowest point of the road. It's only 500lbs. With a 750lb average I imagine Harleys would be worst. Maybe the Maxim just needs suspension work? anyone? With the ninja It'll stay anywhere, even on the side of a groove happily an shoots anywhere you point it. I love this little bike.

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

yeah, the ninja is like some of those digital cameras - point and shoot.