ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2021, 11:35 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

What is your Footwear ?

Lately I've been amused by looking at cregs list and seeing people that are on their bikes in tennis shoes .... and although TRAGIC in itself it is also amusing
I guess they've never had their ankle bone showing ...or seen one from someone that was wearing tennis shoes !
I have.... that is why I don't even put to the end of the block and back without my boots on....
then the thought of the new Ninja riders came to mind and I thought man someone has to warn them.... DON'T even get ON the bike unless you have some ankle protection .... WHY ? well, picture this ... putting down the road
at 25 mph and something happens and you fall over and the bike is on top your leg and foot as your sliding down the road 30 feet.... now pavement looks relitively benign, smooth and you wouldn't think it would act like real course sand paper...BUT IT DOES ! you won't slide 10 feet before that sandpaper/tarmac has ground into your flesh... and the remaining 20 feet will be trying to ground down the bone ! ....
My Mother was on the back of a honda 50cc behind my dad and they left to go to town, a shore time later they returned and I could tell something was wrong... Mom was hurt big time. her foot was wrapped in a piece of my Dads T shirt and it was bleading badly we got her in the house and un wrapped it and the bone of her ankle was ground off flat, her knee was also chewed up real bad.... Dad explained they were going about 40 mph and went into the first left hand turn and the bike just slid out from under them... I looked at the bike and the rear tire was covered in oil.
the oil breather tube exited right in front of the left hand side of the tire in the rear. and guess WHO put in too much oil ? yah me ! I didn't know it only took a cup.. i put in the whole quart !
... well Dad and I loaded Mom into the car and he took her to the hospital and I stayed home to care for the ranch.... many hours later Dad comes home without Mom and explains that he'll go get her tomorrow, turns out it was 3 days later mom came home with her leg in a full cast... seams that the slide down the road broke the cartilage in her knee and they took out the cartilage.... ( years ago that was the standard practice) so she was crippled from that day forward !
I was young at the time , probably 10 years old max. but it hung with me for years....
seeing the bone and flesh ground away from a foot of one you love is no fun!
.... and to this day when I see someone on a bike in low top shoes it gives me cold chills ! .... I've fallen and fallen quite hard in my time, but I've always had boots on. and I'm still walking
So this is a warning to you new people to motorcycle riding NEVER get on a motorcycle ....even for a second without Boots on... something with ankle protection.... the time you don't, is the time you'll need it ! and you can bet your life on that ! ( because you are)
Yes I am adamant about foot ware ! LOL

so the question is what kind of footwear do you have on when you ride ?
is it just tennis shoes because your just going to the store for a second ?
Boots , or actual riding boots that are made to hold up that bike should it fall on your leg ?....
the most common injury in motorcycle accidents is to the legs and feet
next is the hands and wrists ( in motorcycle fatalities it's the head/neck)
so shoes with exposed ankles.
boots where the ankle bone is covered by thick leather
Motorcycle boots where from just below the knee everything is protected...
and even crush resistant ...
the choice is yours, it's your feet !
...lets hear your comments !

Bob..........

Old October 3rd, 2021, 12:15 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
right on! My wife wants to carry bat and whack every rider she sees without proper footwear!

I started racing my 1st season late. Only had one trackday for NRS to get my license and did 1st race next weekend. In my haste to prep, I managed to add an extra whole quart of oil! Couldn't figure out what happened. My wife was rushing around gathering paper towels from bathrooms to help me wipe off oil from tyres, frame, engine, airbox, it had spewed everywhere! I think what happened was I filled it and checked site-glass with bike on sidestand!

Yeah I wear boots any time I'm on bike. Dropping bike on your leg & ankle in driveway can cause serious injury!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2021, 02:24 AM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL one tiny laps of concentration and WHAMM ! you have major problems !
... yah I felt bad about that for years after Mom's injury... but later thought
You know it really wasn't too smart of my Dad to have his nieve son put oil in a motorcycle either ! that was about 4 years before anyone let me touch that bike... but Dad did that day.... odd how things work out sometimes !
that little honda 50 was my Dads pride and joy... he and my Uncle bought them off my science teacher from my school I told Dad about it and we went and looked at them with my uncle and they bought them for $150.00 each ! HAHAHA
they still had the fairings on them and looked brand new !
of course $150. bucks was alot of money back then but those bikes got completely USED UP over the decades to follow !
I told my teacher what had happened after the accident and he felt really bad about it...he felt responsible for it and I explained that he was in no way responsible ! but it didn't seam to help ! he was a good man ! gave me the love of science ! last time I saw him he was retired some 50 years ago !
.... about 7 years after Mom's accident, Dad bought me a Honda 50cc sport
that was in boxes for 50 bucks ..... I had it running in about 3 days to Mom's dismay.... she just knew I was going to kill myself on that thing !
LOL..... I traded it for a honda 90cc in the same condition straight across
and had that one running in 3 days as well.... ( I had extra parts that came with it ! ) that turned out to be my transportation to and from school for 4 years ! good thing it wasn't any bigger or I probably would have killed myself ! ....
...anyway....
Now I have a fresh pare of square toe harness boots that I usually wear when I ride the Ninja.
and a nice pare of O'neal motocross boots for when I get the RX4... I have put them on once and boy are they stiff ! I dunno how I am going to be able to shift with those on !
Bob.....

Old October 4th, 2021, 07:52 AM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Good anecdotal evidence for wearing the right gear. I've been wearing RST TracTech Evo boots for the past two seasons and I really like them. I don't walk in them much, so I can't comment on that aspect. They're perfectly comfortable on the bike and maintain good airflow. There was a plastic trim piece that came off at some point, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. I replaced a pair of Cortech boots with these (I forget the model) and I can say that RST is really making a good product for the money. I got these for $150 and that's cheap for what they are.
Here is a review from the shop I got mine from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7bO_CuuEA

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 4th, 2021, 09:53 AM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I agree with you about wearing boots on the bike. I have two pair- one is a pair of ResponseGear boots that I wear if I'll need to walk at my destination, or work, and my other pair is Dainese boots if I'm only going to be riding or sitting.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 4th, 2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Thanks Drew ! I've been trying to find a boot with a henge built in them so I can shift or use the rear brake ... the boots I have don't flex at the ankle they are like waring a cast !!!! and I think it was a mistake in buying them !
... the boots Itchyboots weirs all the time look promising but I have no idea what they are !
Foot ware is important ! I took a nasty fall on a dirt road ( drive way to the Ranch) where I was going way too fast and that time I didn't get away from the bike and the bike wound up resting on my left leg and the rear foot peg was pushing down on my shin bone... when I caught my breath and did a quick self check i could hardly believe I only had a few scrapes and bruises !
had I been on a bigger heavier bike that probably would not have ended so well.
.... when you fall push away from that bike... get clear of it or it will hurt you !
Bob........

Old October 4th, 2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

they have strange sizing on those boots Drew ! 42 or 43 ? I had to go to 3 different sites to find a conversion chart LOL
and as far as I could see no half sizes.... I wear a 8.5 EE shoe size ( short and wide) and I didn't see anything like that in those boots !
.... i'd have to get a size 9 and wear thick socks ! HAHAHAHAHAH
so I might get me a pair they look pretty comfy !
Bob...

Old October 4th, 2021, 01:54 PM   #8
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I wear a 45 or 46 in the Euro size which is somewhere in the 11.5/12 US size. Whatever they are, they fit well. I error on sizing slightly smaller with motorcycle boots because I dislike dragging toe sliders , it happens every now and then.
I can speak for RST's budget racesuit too, it's the one in my profile pic. I've done a trackday with it and it's been my main piece of riding gear for probably two years now. The leather is really nice and for $400 you get nice protection. Once my Cortech gloves wear out I will be trying RST's TracTech gloves. They're not the cheapest but I believe they have kangaroo leather palms which is definitely a higher end feature.

Old October 4th, 2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Cool ! on the gloves be sure to get a pair of gloves that has the slider on the palm of the hand... they did a study on bike crash injuries and found most of the fractured wrist bones was because when you put your hands out to catch your self the palm stuck and bent back with the sliders that doesn't happen
you still catch your self when falling but the palm will slide instead of sticking
the harder the plastic the better on palm sliders... my gloves have the sliders but their not the hardest on the market by far ! more like just extra padding
.... I can attest to that ailment as your hands do indeed stick to the ground when you hit it at speed and with that speed it will try real hard to rip your arms off.... it's much better to slide than stick !
..... the problem is that sliding on pavement can hurt alot ! that is why we try real hard to avoid it I think ! LOL not to mention the bike repairs !
... the other day when I was out on the Ninja I found myself chickening out
on the speed part of it.... I think my old age has either made me wiser or just plane chicken I don't know which.... but I don't want to crash any more... spending time in the hospital is not something I enjoy and I will do almost anything to avoid that...even slow down on a motorcycle.... REALLY !
so I think my dragging days are over and the bumpers on the footpegs are safe with me ! LOL !
Bob......

Old October 4th, 2021, 08:46 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
yeah, not sure what the trend is with removing palm protection and putting them on knuckles. I suspect it's marketing and image thing as it makes gloves look tougher. I've never ever seen injuries to knuckles, but every single crash has had scratched up palms on gloves. I had to search eBay for months to find old touring gloves with metal on palms.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2021, 09:36 PM   #11
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I wear Gaerne G-Midland Goretex Boots. Good all-around protection and I'm always prepared for any unexpected rain. Been using them for over 5 years now and they've done well in heavy rain.

Old October 8th, 2021, 12:06 PM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Cortech street/track boots.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote