ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 15th, 2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Major1997
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): Ex250

Pre gen to new gen forks and swing arm swap floating feeling problem

Ok so I own a Kawasaki gpx 250r II 1988 and I have swapped the front triple tree down including the wheel and brakes and rear swingarm back including wheel, brake and suspension components, of a ninja 250 2009 and I took it out for its maiden voyage and the bike seems to feel like it's not settled on the road kinda floaty feeling, Kinda like a flat tyre and the front end was really easy to turn witch made it turn by itself when leaning.

I thought the triple tree castle nut thing wasn't tight enough so I tightened it but it cant torque it since I don't have the so would love to know if that is important but even tighter it still felt wrong.

I checked all the bolts torques and made sure the tire pressure was good and nothing moves when I shake it while it's in the air so I'm stumped at what it could be.

The rear tyre is flat-spotted but I can't imagine it would be the problem.

I would love anyone ideas on what could be the problem or if I was meant to add a washer somewhere or something while doing this swap, any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Major1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1997 View Post
...and the front end was really easy to turn witch made it turn by itself when leaning.
Do you mean it was "falling into" turns? Like you start a turn and it seems like it's going to fall over that way?

Or do you mean it was like a chopper with an extended front end, that when you lean into a turn it tries to turn the handlebar farther and you have to countersteer to keep it on the line you want?

Welcome to the board, Simon!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Major1997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Do you mean it was "falling into" turns? Like you start a turn and it seems like it's going to fall over that way?

Or do you mean it was like a chopper with an extended front end, that when you lean into a turn it tries to turn the handlebar farther and you have to countersteer to keep it on the line you want?

Welcome to the board, Simon!
Like a chopper sounds about right.

Old October 15th, 2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

That's often because of the fork tubes being too long. I don't know what bars you're using... can you try lowring the triple clamps on the fork tubes (extending the tubes up through the clamps) a little at a time?

Old October 15th, 2021, 11:24 PM   #5
Major1997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
That's often because of the fork tubes being too long. I don't know what bars you're using... can you try lowring the triple clamps on the fork tubes (extending the tubes up through the clamps) a little at a time?
okay, I will try, I was running the same bars on the pre-gen forks and it didn't do it, so thought it was really weird. thank you though

Old October 16th, 2021, 01:33 AM   #6
Major1997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
okay, I have seemed to have fixed it, it looks like I tightened the triple tree castle nut way too tight and lowering the suspension also helped with the leaning auto steer problem.

Old October 16th, 2021, 05:27 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
okay, I have seemed to have fixed it, it looks like I tightened the triple tree castle nut way too tight and lowering the suspension also helped with the leaning auto steer problem.
Are you saying that the steering bearings were overtightened so they were not turning freely?

Old October 16th, 2021, 12:42 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
yup, bearing preload too tight would interfere with trail's self-straightening action. It would require more off-centre aim to generate enough corrective force to move steering. Then it would overshoot centre until enough force was generated to swing back. Thus that wandering feeling. With smooth bearings, self-centering occurs much easier and bike tracks straight.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2021, 02:31 PM   #9
Major1997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Are you saying that the steering bearings were overtightened so they were not turning freely?
yea, I was stupid I didn't realise they barely needed tightening, I'm probably gonna get a socket or something to make sure it's at the required torque but it seems good, the only thing I've noticed so far now is how hard the suspension is it's extremely aggressive. I don't know if it's normal but now it's way harder than my 2016 CBR 500

Old October 17th, 2021, 02:52 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
yea, I was stupid I didn't realise they barely needed tightening, I'm probably gonna get a socket or something to make sure it's at the required torque but it seems good, the only thing I've noticed so far now is how hard the suspension is it's extremely aggressive. I don't know if it's normal but now it's way harder than my 2016 CBR 500
It's the nut with the notches under the top triple clamp that takes a spanner to turn, that makes the adjustment. Then the bolt on top is tightened to lock the adjustment. You can turn that bolt tight without a problem if the adjustment is not too tight. It should be adjusted to just take out all the play, but not so much that you can feel any friction when turning. This all has to be done with the front wheel off the ground so you can feel what's going on.

Old October 17th, 2021, 03:05 PM   #11
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
did you grease all the needle bearings in pivots on rear suspension?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote