ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

BMW 135i

I was looking to purchase a new car in the near future and had the 135i's near the top of my list. I was just wondering if anyone here has driven/owned one and if so what their thoughts were
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I think you should save up and get the 1M or whatever they call the M 1 series car.
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Honko
ninjette.org sage

I've pretty much dropped the thought of getting the 135. Too pricey for what you get I think. I'll probably end up getting a used 335i coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I think you should save up and get the 1M or whatever they call the M 1 series car.
I'd like to get the M3 at some point in my life....haha.

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Too late. They only made 800 of 'em, and they are all sold.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Too late. They only made 800 of 'em, and they are all sold.
According to Wiki (legit source, no?) they were gonna make just 2700 cars, but chose to make as many as were wanted till spring of 2012. So hah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_1_Series_(E81)

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

M1 is a waste of money. Just get a e36 or e46 M3. Those cars are sweet!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
According to Wiki (legit source, no?) they were gonna make just 2700 cars, but chose to make as many as were wanted till spring of 2012. So hah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_1_Series_(E81)
That was worldwide. Only 800 were brought into the US (according to Automobile magazine). Hah back.

(but - if the cap was lifted, hopefully some more can trickle into the US as well. It's a neat car.)

Here are some folks on the 1 series forum chatting about the final potential numbers in the US, group consensus says between 750 and 1000, but who knows.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 20th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #8
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That was worldwide. Only 800 were brought into the US (according to Automobile magazine). Hah back.

(but - if the cap was lifted, hopefully some more can trickle into the US as well. It's a neat car.)

Here are some folks on the 1 series forum chatting about the final potential numbers in the US, group consensus says between 750 and 1000, but who knows.
Oh my name is Alex. I am sooooo cool. I just know everything… neh neh neh neh neh

Old January 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #10
SlowBoyRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): ZX6-R and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
M1 is a waste of money. Just get a e36 or e46 M3. Those cars are sweet!
It isn't called the "M1", it is called the "1 M Coupe"... They didn't call it M1 because of the heritage that "m1" has, it was a very special vehicle for BMW.

M1

I also don't understand why a 1 M coupe would be a waste of money. It is the best car that sensible amount of money could buy (could have bought) since all of them are accounted for by now.
SlowBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBoyRacing View Post

I also don't understand why a 1 M coupe would be a waste of money. It is the best car that sensible amount of money could buy (could have bought) since all of them are accounted for by now.

Because you could buy an e36 for $10,000 or e46 M3 for under $20,000. It cost $50,000 for the 1 Series M Coupe.

That is 40 and 30 grand you could but into an older M3. With that kind of money you could make a beast of a car. And then still have cash in your pockets for repairs. And trust me. You will need to repair them. BMW's are not all that reliable when they get older. But still. I could modify an e36 M3 into a 1 M coupe killer for 40 grand. That is my reasoning for why a 1M coupe would be a waste of money. Just my opinion.

Old January 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #12
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Quote:
And then still have cash in your pockets for repairs. And trust me. You will need to repair them. BMW's are not all that reliable when they get older.
For the 3-series, maintenance is the key. They can be reliable if you aren't afraid to turn your own wrenches and diagnose every now and then. I like to think they have character

I should like to add that the strength of BMWs are their predictable handling. Power, even in the M3s, are not that impressive when compared to other manufacturers. But its combination of RWD and chassis balance are what created the 3-series aura. (Miatas are revered for the same reasons.)

While I'm impressed by the technology and certainly the numbers of the newer Bimmers, I'll stick with the BMW e36 (maybe a e46 wagon). Not as light as the e30s, but parts are readily available (and not as expensive as one would think) and they really are quite easy to work on for any shade tree mechanic. I wonder how good these new Bimmers will be in the future. All that complex electronics, plus the long maintenance intervals due to the "free" service warranties. Even in Roundel, the tech guru has serious reservations about buying a used e9x.

Hmm, never been in the Off-Topic section of the forum. Is this what you guys do around here... (wanders back to bimmerforums on another tab)
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post

While I'm impressed by the technology and certainly the numbers of the newer Bimmers, I'll stick with the BMW e36 (maybe a e46 wagon).
My mom has an 01 e46 wagon 5-speed. It is a very nice car. But it is getting on up there. It has a little over 100,000 miles which is very low for its age but things are starting to fail. And it has always been maintained very well. But it is very easy to over look its flaws because it is the Ultimate Driving machine.

I guess if one wants reliability you gotta go Japanese.

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #14
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Because you could buy an e36 for $10,000 or e46 M3 for under $20,000. It cost $50,000 for the 1 Series M Coupe.

That is 40 and 30 grand you could but into an older M3. With that kind of money you could make a beast of a car. And then still have cash in your pockets for repairs. And trust me. You will need to repair them. BMW's are not all that reliable when they get older. But still. I could modify an e36 M3 into a 1 M coupe killer for 40 grand. That is my reasoning for why a 1M coupe would be a waste of money. Just my opinion.

Sorry, but I see that logic as a little bit flawed. With that logic, why buy a new Camaro for ~$40,000, when you can buy a 2000 Camaro SS for less than $10,000 and mod the crap out of it with the rest of the money? Sure, you'll have a car thats fast as hell (and maybe/probably even supercharged!) but you also have an old-ish used car that will have the same issues as any other older car. Or you could get a sexy new Camaro with a warranty

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Jono

Quote:
Sorry, but I see that logic as a little bit flawed. With that logic, why buy a new Camaro for ~$40,000, when you can buy a 2000 Camaro SS for less than $10,000 and mod the crap out of it with the rest of the money? Sure, you'll have a car thats fast as hell (and maybe/probably even supercharged!) but you also have an old-ish used car that will have the same issues as any other older car. Or you could get a sexy new Camaro with a warranty
Because Chevy's suck ass (with the exception of the Corvette ZR1). You have obviously never driven a e36 or e46 3 series. They are a true drivers car. Can't say the same for any recently made Camaros.

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Or mustangs. And this is coming from a mustang fan. Those things can't turn at all. Saying the car has some understeer is an understatement. Mustangs plow in a turn better than an Amish farmer tending land.

I'm going under $30k for a new vehicle. 180-250hp. 200hp seems to be perfect for daily driving and fun. The 120hp my old Civic EX had was too little. 200, however, is plenty to get yourself in trouble (except the old V6 mustangs, the gearing kills the fun factor of that car. You feel quite disconnected from the car).

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #17
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I've driven the 135i, used to own a 318ti (the 1 series before there was a 1 series ), and also had a e46 M3. I love bimmers. The 135i is a great little car, very fun to drive. The engine is outstanding, I loved the double clutch transmission despite my general concerns about anything automatic in a transmission, and it made working through 7 speeds really fun (too much fun for my friend who owned the car and was sitting next me with white knuckles. ). I can imagine it would be AWESOME to have that transmission in traffic, and actually was so good, I would consider it as a better alternative to manual. I never thought I would say those words.

Rear seats were useless. Really. Good for your cat or dog, or if you have friends who are primordial dwarfs. Interior isn't luxury, but is super functional, feels quality BMW. No complaints at all with it, as it fits driver's needs without useless bells and whistles. Interior quality, despite simplicity, is top notch BMW. Same good materials, fit and finish as you'd get in 3 or 5 series.

My only complaint is the looks. Something about proportion is just, well, off. And the down swoop below the door makes it look like it is drooping/melting. I like the look of the 3 series much better, particularly the M. Still would consider buying this car, the driving was so good.

I know people say you get more for the money elsewhere, but 0-60 in 5.0, BMW quality and engineering and hella fun in the twisties seems like good value to me.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Or mustangs. And this is coming from a mustang fan. Those things can't turn at all. Saying the car has some understeer is an understatement. Mustangs plow in a turn better than an Amish farmer tending land.

I'm going under $30k for a new vehicle. 180-250hp. 200hp seems to be perfect for daily driving and fun. The 120hp my old Civic EX had was too little. 200, however, is plenty to get yourself in trouble (except the old V6 mustangs, the gearing kills the fun factor of that car. You feel quite disconnected from the car).
You sir should get the Subaru BRZ when it comes out. I think it will be the perfect daily driver as well as weekend fun car. A good amount of power and excellent handling from what I have read. I can't wait to test drive one when the arrive at the dealerships.

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #19
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

I agree. Really looking forward to this car, or the Toyota/Scion version. If nothing else, its success would give other manufacturers the impetus to start making light weight, no-frills driver's cars. Sports/sporty cars with gobs of power just can't be used on the road. But driving a slow car fast? Now we're talking!

Quote:
You sir should get the Subaru BRZ when it comes out. I think it will be the perfect daily driver as well as weekend fun car. A good amount of power and excellent handling from what I have read. I can't wait to test drive one when the arrive at the dealerships.
@Apex, isn't the live axle of the new Mustangs much improved?

@ gfloyd2002, you have good taste. Coming from a current 318ti owner and former e36 M3 owner. While I loved the power of the M3 (only 240hp, but to the right wheels), I really miss those brakes. You could approach a 90-degree right hand turn at crazy speeds, tap the brakes, shift into second, and blast out of the turn--with no drama. And that car loved it. Above 4000rpms and to redline that car just changed into a beast. The 'ti is much lighter, has a lively e30 rear trailing arm suspension, and is fairly practical.

I agree with the looks of the 135i. That flame surfacing makes the car look like a Dali clock.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Honko
ninjette.org sage

I ended up going with a mt 2011 328i xdrive. The handling is a little different from the RWD one from what I've heard, but I don't think it's enough that I'll be able to tell a difference in my every day driving.

+1 on the useless nature of the 1 series back seats. I knew there was limited space back there, but I didn't realize how much until I went and saw one in person.

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #21
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Better choice if you want a back seat, and it looks a ton better, too. Used I presume? Going with used is really an option I'm surprised more people don't do. With well-built cars, getting something a year or two old gets you into a MUCH better car for the same money and still more years left on the odometer than most people will need.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
@Apex, isn't the live axle of the new Mustangs much improved?

It is still a live axle. Therefore there is a TON of un-sprung weight in the back. I don't care how much you try to improve an old design, it is still an old design. Any good handling car has IRS in the back like the Cobra R did. That is what makes the difference. Hit some rough patches and the live axle will just kill you, feeling like Gozilla just stomped on the back end of your car.

I love the mustangs, but I'll only own another one if it is an insanely nice foxbody or a 67-68 model.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Honko
ninjette.org sage

It was a used with a little less than 8000 miles on it. The 335's were in the running for my money but reading about all the fuel pump problems they were having, I was completely turned off from them. The most recent software/pump updates have substantially reduced the incidences apparently, but I didn't feel like taking the chance.