ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Weird Findings

So I just bought my bike a couple of months ago from this kid about my age (20) and I keep finding really weird stuff as I'm working on the bike. When I was winterizing the bike, I found three lighters shoved in under the seat above the battery housing. The bike went down so there is a small hole on the right fairing. Inside the hole was a coin taped to the plastic. And today, I saw that one of the screws that holds the right handlebar in is missing. Why would anyone remove that, and not put it back? It's a scavenger hunt every time I mess around with the bike.

Anyways, I had a question about "hacking" off the rear fender. When I first bought the bike, I noticed that the owner before him pretty much went at it with a saw. The cut looks really ugly and it's all jagged plastic. Anyone know of a good way to make that cut nice and clean? Any advice would be much appreciated.
pugs24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

soldering iron works really well if you need to do any more trimming. if you're happy with the fender chop the guy did, but just want to clean in up, use a dremel sanding disc or some coarse sandpaper. once you're done, break out a lighter to smooth out the edges and give it a "finished" look.

good luck!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Lol!! I bet he stored the lighters in the trunk and they just fell into the battery area. As far as the coin... maybe it was his emergency payphone change? Lol no idea.

For the fender, you can even it out with a file and then probably use a lighter to melt and smooth the edges.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Ah, beat me to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Hahaha. Yeah, the only thing I could think of was that he was hiding his lighters from his parents in the only place they wouldn't think of. Pretty original I guess. And thanks for the ideas guys, I'll definitely try it out.

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
crackbike

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #7
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
crackbike
I can only imagine the previous owner riding while scratching his neck furiously twitching all crazy.

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs24 View Post
I can only imagine the previous owner riding while scratching his neck furiously twitching all crazy.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Depending on how the fender is cut, you can tape where you want to cut. That gives you a nice straight edge to follow. Use a razor blade or sharp box cutter to score the plastic. If you take your time, do a few passes with the blade, the edge will be nice and straight and smooth. Then you will only have to slightly sand or bevel the edge. It'll look like stock.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #10
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Depending on how the fender is cut, you can tape where you want to cut. That gives you a nice straight edge to follow. Use a razor blade or sharp box cutter to score the plastic. If you take your time, do a few passes with the blade, the edge will be nice and straight and smooth. Then you will only have to slightly sand or bevel the edge. It'll look like stock.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. Great idea. I'm guessing like a heavy masking tape to keep the blade from jumping around as I'm making the cut. A couple of cuts should do the trick.

Old January 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #11
twistedimage
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

If you want a perfect edge... use a box cutter and or just hold the blade, take a lighter to it for 10-15 seconds and it slices through it like butter. Takes about 2-3 times to get through the entire fender. Also i just bought my '10 250r in sept, ive been riding with a buddy who bought an 09 used and it aswell had alot of little "surprises" when we took it apart. Screws missing etc...
twistedimage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #12
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Quote:
Anyone know of a good way to make that cut nice and clean? Any advice would be much appreciated.
i did the fender cut home-style, and was really happy with the result. here are some pictures, i think i posted a thread or these pictures already previously, but here they are again

this was my attempt at installing an after market fender eliminator, but i was totally unsatisfied with its quality, and inability to fit well. so i gave the fiberglass light casing and the number plate bracket back and decided to try and make my own.

------------------------

i found a cheap $10 ex-crashed bike's fender at the dealer, and bought that to try out my home brew (rather than chopping away at my good fender, lol) and this is what i managed to do:

i used a small steel saw and cut the plastic fender with ease. i then used a cutter to tidy up the lines. then i used some sandpaper to round off the edges before taking a lighter to lightly burn the edges. this helped to soften the edges and get rid of the lines/marks that the sandpaper left along the edges. oh ya, i also had a dremmel which i used to tidy up the tighter corners, but possible to do without it too.

that's before i got around to paint the bracket. i built it out of plywood 1st, and then asked a workshop to fabricate it out of metal for me.

the old and new fender next to each other

just took these last two pictures today, i took out the rubber piece where the original blinker goes, and covered the hole with M3 style black tape (cant think of the name of that stuff), anyhow, it has the same kind of texture with the fender, so its barely noticeable

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #13
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Pic #6.... You have 2 plates with the same number on it. Do they issue you two plates in Indonesia? We only (rear) have one in the US.

Also... is that the new AreaP? I noticed it doesn't have the cone coming out of the rear.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 01:51 AM   #14
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

its compulsory to have 2 number plates, for the front and back on all bikes here in Indo.

most ppl who have ninjas (or other full faring bikes) get smaller ones made, to fit behind the windscreen like i have done, or even get stickers made, since the original bracket we get from kawasaki is butt ugly.

according to official regulations, all vehicles should use the number plate that we get issued from the police station, however they are not so nicely made, so most ppl who have a thing about looks with their bikes or cars, get them remade either with aluminum, or acrylic like mine.

so now i have 5 number plates... 2 that i was issued and don't use, 2 on my bike, and 1 that i left on my old fender, since the position of the holes were different, i just made 1 new rather than mess about with the old one.

W.

PS.

i don't think the A.P. is a "new" model. they have had the flat end since I've looked them up about 2 years ago i believe. the shape of the flat end used to be slightly different, assembled from two machined aluminum bits, but they simplified it like what i have now. maybe they have another style too now? i haven't looked at their website in a while, lol

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:44 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
And today, I saw that one of the screws that holds the right handlebar in is missing.
These can loosen up on their own and pop out if you dump the bike. I've had to retighten mine, and lost a bolt when the bike went over in a spousal training incident. So, for me, I'd take this as evidence of the bike going down. Though the hole in the right fairing may have tipped you off.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
These can loosen up on their own and pop out if you dump the bike. I've had to retighten mine, and lost a bolt when the bike went over in a spousal training incident. So, for me, I'd take this as evidence of the bike going down. Though the hole in the right fairing may have tipped you off.
You're probably right, the screw is missing on the same side as the bike went down on.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #17
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Do you know where I can pick a replacement screw up?