Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Risk aversion or Expense dodging

My insurance is 708/year for the Gsxr full coverage w 3k gear and aftermarket

I have very little cash into the bike.

KBB puts retail at 4k and trade in 2700

If I take collision off of my coverage it is 370$ for liability

What do you think That they would pay out if it were crashed?

I am trying to determine if my money spent would be worth while over time.

- full coverage or no full coverage - that is the question
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I may consider dropping collision on an older bike, but would advise pricing out liability + comprehensive, rather than just liability. Comprehensive is often quite cheap, and the only thing that helps you if some dingus steals it (or there's a fire, or a tree falls on it, etc.).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #3
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

In an accident where another vehicle was involved, I believe you could sue them for damage regardless of whether you carry collision or not...in NY anyway. Too...they could sue you personally if you didnt have collision.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
saving $300 bucks a month might not be worth it considering how easy and unexpectedly bikes can go down. For a total pay out i would think you would get $4k at least. It would take you many years of incident free riding to make up even half of that.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
In an accident where another vehicle was involved, I believe you could sue them for damage regardless of whether you carry collision or not...in NY anyway. Too...they could sue you personally if you didnt have collision.
They can't sue you for not having collision, that is what liability is for. And sure you could sue them to pay for damage if you don't have it but you need to have the proof for that. But you would only need to sue if their insurance didn't cover them or failed to acknowledge fault and or didn't have enough coverage to pay for your damages

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Collision is worthless unless you crash into a tree, or have a single vehicle accident. If the other party is at fault, their liability insurance will pay for your damages. If they don't have insurance, your uninsured/underinsured insurance kicks in.

However, in NY (I lived in the city for 25+ years), we have mandatory PIP insurance (some call it "no fault" insurance). Look it up and see what your PIP coverage is.

I honestly would not pay an extra $330 for collision insurance for a bike worth under $3k. By the time you pay your deductible, the check you'll be getting is tiny.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Collision is worthless unless you crash into a tree, or have a single vehicle accident. If the other party is at fault, their liability insurance will pay for your damages. If they don't have insurance, your uninsured/underinsured insurance kicks in.

However, in NY (I lived in the city for 25+ years), we have mandatory PIP insurance (some call it "no fault" insurance). Look it up and see what your PIP coverage is.

I honestly would not pay an extra $330 for collision insurance for a bike worth under $3k. By the time you pay your deductible, the check you'll be getting is tiny.
Couple clarifications; in some states you can't get UI/UIC unless you also carry collision, so it's not an option to have one without the other. In that case, riding without UI/UIC can turn out to be a large problem if the worst were to come to pass. In some states, the no-fault determination means that the costs are paid by each party, so if you don't have collision and do have an accident with another vehicle, you won't get a payout from the other party's liability insurance if the fault is split. If you do have collision, you would get paid for your own bike's damages (i.e. it doesn't only have to be a tree or a single-vehicle crash to realize a benefit)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Ughhhhh, never get rid of collision insurance! You would be bummed if your bike was totaled and you were left with nothing, right? I just bought Rider insurance for my 2003 SV650 for $270/year, full coverage. The solution to cheaper full coverage is not getting a supersport

Usually if your bike is totaled you get a lot more than you would think. I got $2200 for my 1999 ninja 250 and it was a piece of crap. I paid $1100 for it lol. I would never even think of dropping collision insurance because I don't have an extra grand to spend on cosmetic damage and new parts, and if my bike was totaled I would definitely want a chunk of cash for a new one. Good insurance is worth it. But holy **** you do pay a lot.... become female, we get discounts.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #9
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

$370 for a year of "peace of mind". Depends a lot on how much you ride and how risky your area is for theft, collision, etc.

Personally, I live in a relatively safe area, but I still have collision because it would be a lot easier for me to cough up a deductible than the full cost if I needed to replace my bike after a theft, collision, etc.

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Couple clarifications; in some states you can't get UI/UIC unless you also carry collision, so it's not an option to have one without the other. In that case, riding without UI/UIC can turn out to be a large problem if the worst were to come to pass. In some states, the no-fault determination means that the costs are paid by each party, so if you don't have collision and do have an accident with another vehicle, you won't get a payout from the other party's liability insurance if the fault is split. If you do have collision, you would get paid for your own bike's damages (i.e. it doesn't only have to be a tree or a single-vehicle crash to realize a benefit)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that some states won't allow UI/UIC without collision coverage.

Another big thing to look at is MEDICAL! IMHO, the medical aspect will cost significantly more than the bike. My medical insurance explicit says it does NOT cover automotive accidents. My car insurance states they do NOT cover motorcycle injuries. I opted for $20k medical coverage for my bike insurance. That sent my premium sky high (more than double). But I know a ride in an ambulance and a night in the hospital will prob be over $10k easily.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

In NY you don't need collision, but UI insurance is mandatory, and is priced in. As was said before, I would price liability+comprehensive vs full coverage, and go from there.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
My insurance is 708/year for the Gsxr full coverage w 3k gear and aftermarket

I have very little cash into the bike.
Please read this:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111326
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #13
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I just did some reading
I have opted for the next higher option from the lowest

Lowest allowable in NY 100/50 - Uninsured and No fault included
I have been getting 300/100 since I was 16(real expensive)

I am going through my insurance papers now
Comprehensive covers non collision damages, theft
Collision is just collision related(and pet injury)

Weird I have comp on everything- cool

I have 100/300 +comp+Collision on GSXR
$686 if I pay all in one payment

Upped it to 250/500 + $20 - 700 and change for the year lump sum.

I saved 139$ cutting skittles bike.

It was just annoying experiencing the jump since last year.

Vstar + Skittles 250- only about 400 with both.

Silverado + v6 Firebird ~ $383

GSXR + skittles ~ 825 (with multi bike discount -116$)
Silverado + z28 ~ $496

I feel a lot better know that I just figured out what I was paying and am no paying - my cars are dirt cheap

And I upped my Motorcycles coverage across the board.

The Insurance Agent told me to take photos of all the after market parts.

I am thinking it is time for life Changes- Compact sedan - jetta, accord - another 1500 series truck , a NOT super sport (300, FZ9), and toy bike - ruckus GROM or an enduro.

Geeze and I still haven't upped my rental insurance !

Insurance - more is better but it sure adds up when you have a lot of junk.

Last futzed with by Klondike1020; July 10th, 2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: had to check the facts
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote