Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old May 26th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Back on a 250!

Well, a KLR 250, but still kawasaki

I decided to pick up my first dual sport, she's old (1987) but a good bike. This is my second bike, in addition to my cbr600rr. I do have some plans for the bike. She's old and needs a lot of love. I picked her up for $1,400 with 5,400 miles. I know she's going to need maintenance, I already ordered a repair manual for her and a motorcycle center lift.

Things I will need to do.

-Valve adjustment
-Carb clean
-Change oil & filter
-Coolant Flush
-Clean air filter (maybe get a new one)
-Re-Paint the engine and header -Black-
-New Tires (dual sport 50/50 tires, knobbies not so good on road)
-Maybe new sprockets and chain
-New Spark Plug
-Various Relays and lights to get her to pass inspection

I'm sure i'm forgetting about a lot of other things I will need to do.

Some mods, gonna be on the minimal with mods, just trying to get used to the bike but here's what i'm thinking.

-Braided brake lines (more of learning experience on how to install)
-Stunt clutch lever
-HID headlight
-Better mirrors
-Better grips

I bought this bike mainly because I wanted a dual sport to go off roading and on roading with. But even though I could have afforded a brand new bike, I decided to go with the nearly 30 year old bike because I wanted something to work on, something to "restore" (yes I use that word lightly!) I love the character of this bike! I want to learn how to wrench a bike and I think this will be a perfect example, it's fairly easy to work on and parts are rather cheap.

I have more photos but currently photobucket is having a meltdown, i'll add them later.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old May 26th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
looks good for an old bike, be nice to her.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Any cart tracks close to you? They are a blast on cart tracks.

Old May 28th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Any cart tracks close to you? They are a blast on cart tracks.
I have no idea? I don't even know what a Cart Track is lol. I'm going to look around for some MSF course but for dirt? I'm pretty bad off road, still getting used to it all and need some coaching for sure.

So far I learned to only use my rear brake in loose terrain and try to keep my weight over the back wheel. (This was advice given to me by a more experienced rider, not sure if completely true, made sense though)

Old May 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Wow, for a 30 year old bike, it looks nice!!!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #8
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I have no idea? I don't even know what a Cart Track is lol. I'm going to look around for some MSF course but for dirt? I'm pretty bad off road, still getting used to it all and need some coaching for sure.

So far I learned to only use my rear brake in loose terrain and try to keep my weight over the back wheel. (This was advice given to me by a more experienced rider, not sure if completely true, made sense though)
Go cart track... Most of them allow small bikes as well as go carts.
Honda in Troy Ohio has a dirt course for MSF, so they do exist.

Old May 28th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #9
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

You can paint bikes? Would I be able to paint a ninja?
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #10
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Congrats! I hope you get some good miles on her.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #11
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodancer View Post
Yes you can.

Old June 1st, 2016, 06:43 AM   #12
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Wow, for a 30 year old bike, it looks nice!!!!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Go cart track... Most of them allow small bikes as well as go carts.
Honda in Troy Ohio has a dirt course for MSF, so they do exist.
I will have to look. I know that the place where I did my MSF course has a little dirt area where they were teaching kids (like 10 year olds) I think I would feel a bit funny being with them lol. I'll call and ask if they have adult sessions (that sounds kinda dirty lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodancer View Post
I don't see why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Congrats! I hope you get some good miles on her.
Thanks!! Gotta get rid of the knobbies and go with a 50/50 tire before I do any real miles though.

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:10 AM   #13
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Nice, what tires are those? cant see in the shadows, but those look pretty good, typically as long as they are DOT knobs they are pretty good everywhere. A great tire if you are going to hit dirt is the T63. It still rails the corners, a true 50/50, Shinko 244 is pretty good, like a 70/30, Shinko 705 is good for 80/20 (ish).

a great Combo is a D606 rear with a MT21 front, thats more 40/60 or maybe even a bit more agressive.

That little 250 is slow, but I'm always amazed at how well they keep up with me on the FS roads and trails when I am on my KLR.

*Edit* Saw your other pictures, rear looks like a Kenda TrakMaster? great off road, and pretty dang good on the road. Mixed Riding should see about 1500 miles on the KLR650, so I'm guessing You'll get more, with less knob tearing torque. If you are going to learn dirt, go learn it on a good tire while you have it! Wear it out, I wore one out in 5 days, so it wont take much.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:22 AM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Now I want an old little DS
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:15 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Nice, what tires are those? cant see in the shadows, but those look pretty good, typically as long as they are DOT knobs they are pretty good everywhere. A great tire if you are going to hit dirt is the T63. It still rails the corners, a true 50/50, Shinko 244 is pretty good, like a 70/30, Shinko 705 is good for 80/20 (ish).

a great Combo is a D606 rear with a MT21 front, thats more 40/60 or maybe even a bit more agressive.

That little 250 is slow, but I'm always amazed at how well they keep up with me on the FS roads and trails when I am on my KLR.

*Edit* Saw your other pictures, rear looks like a Kenda TrakMaster? great off road, and pretty dang good on the road. Mixed Riding should see about 1500 miles on the KLR650, so I'm guessing You'll get more, with less knob tearing torque. If you are going to learn dirt, go learn it on a good tire while you have it! Wear it out, I wore one out in 5 days, so it wont take much.
The rear is a TrakMaster K760. It handles fairly well off road (although i'm no expert, lol) on road it does okay, the front gets pretty wobbly though.

I saw a used set of rims for a KLR250 on craigslist. It was $250 and they came with shinko 705's with "95% tread" So I think i'm going to pick those up. That way I can just swap whenever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Now I want an old little DS
You should get one!

Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM   #16
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
yeah, the front is a bit weak, but on that little bike, will be fine. the feeling of learning how to ride knobs hard on pavement can be a bit weird, but super fun!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I'm proud of myself. For the first time ever I adjusted my valves (I made sure engine was TDC and I adjusted them slightly on the loose side, went by repair manual), changed the spark plug and rejetted the carb. I also shimmed the needle with one washer. I changed the oil and am going to replace my air filter. The bike runs great and pulls really hard for a 250. but she's hard to kick over sometimes. Once in a while she will start first kick, other times it can take 10-15 kicks. I'm worried she may need a top end rebuild, not sure... I'm just going to ride her and see what happens.

Old June 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I'm proud of myself. For the first time ever I adjusted my valves (I made sure engine was TDC and I adjusted them slightly on the loose side, went by repair manual), changed the spark plug and rejetted the carb. I also shimmed the needle with one washer. I changed the oil and am going to replace my air filter. The bike runs great and pulls really hard for a 250. but she's hard to kick over sometimes. Once in a while she will start first kick, other times it can take 10-15 kicks. I'm worried she may need a top end rebuild, not sure... I'm just going to ride her and see what happens.
Play with the idle mixture screw. Small singles can be picky about the setting, and won't start well unless it's in just the right place. Usually the starting point is about 1.5 turns out. Some carbs will have a idle mixture screw that adjusts the air bleed, others will have one that adjusts the fuel bleed. It's nice to know which you are dealing with. Turning an air bleed in makes it richer, turning a fuel bleed in makes it leaner.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #19
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Play with the idle mixture screw. Small singles can be picky about the setting, and won't start well unless it's in just the right place. Usually the starting point is about 1.5 turns out. Some carbs will have a idle mixture screw that adjusts the air bleed, others will have one that adjusts the fuel bleed. It's nice to know which you are dealing with. Turning an air bleed in makes it richer, turning a fuel bleed in makes it leaner.
Thanks for the advice!! I'll play around with it when I get home from work today. I also think part of the problem could be my technique too. I've never owned a kick starter bike so I think I will need to also work on my form as well.

Old June 9th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! I'll play around with it when I get home from work today. I also think part of the problem could be my technique too. I've never owned a kick starter bike so I think I will need to also work on my form as well.
Some also like a slight twist of the throttle as you are kicking when hot. Technique is important. You'll get it! I prefer kick starters. Dirt bikes with electric start only (some don't even have a kick starter anymore) are annoying!

As far as the idle mixture goes, one way to set it is to get the engine fully warm, then adjust the idle to the highest speed with the idle mixture screw. From there i usually go richer about 1/8 of a turn, which smooths out the transition as you open the throttle. After it's set you may need to use the idle speed screw to drop the idle back down a bit.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #21
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Some also like a slight twist of the throttle as you are kicking when hot. Technique is important. You'll get it! I prefer kick starters. Dirt bikes with electric start only (some don't even have a kick starter anymore) are annoying!

As far as the idle mixture goes, one way to set it is to get the engine fully warm, then adjust the idle to the highest speed with the idle mixture screw. From there i usually go richer about 1/8 of a turn, which smooths out the transition as you open the throttle. After it's set you may need to use the idle speed screw to drop the idle back down a bit.
Just figured I would update you and say that I've gotten the technique down. I think my problem was I wasn't using enough of my weight to kick it. Hard to explain but I center more of my weight over my right leg and it starts 1-2 kicks now.

One issue that it does have is that if I choke it all the way and kick it over, I have about 2 seconds to turn the choke off or the bike will die. I don't know why but even cold the bike doesn't like to be choked, yet it won't start unless it is choked (weird I know).

Old June 17th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #22
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice pick-up!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote