ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

New rider in DC

Hey everyone, I just recently acquired my first bike an 09 250R and coming from a family with a love for racing I'm looking forward to getting out to some track days sometime later this summer. I'm not one to turn down advice so feel free to share!!
Macharity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Michael!

Search in the ninjettes at speed sub forum, plenty of good stuff in there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Michael

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Michael!

Search in the ninjettes at speed sub forum, plenty of good stuff in there.
Thanks I will do!

Old May 21st, 2016, 08:00 AM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old May 21st, 2016, 07:40 PM   #7
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Hey, I'm just outside DC, in Maryland. Welcome and congrats on the bike.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2016, 09:49 PM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
And I'm just outside DC in the other direction, across the river.

Welcome
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:25 AM   #9
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post

Welcome
Wow you ride and live in Virginia? Lol you're a brave man!

Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm not letting this rain stop me from getting out and riding! Even in the wet, it's so much fun!

Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:33 AM   #11
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharity View Post
Wow you ride and live in Virginia? Lol you're a brave man!
Rather ride in VA than in DC. But I ride there too.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:06 PM   #12
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Thanks! I'm not letting this rain stop me from getting out and riding! Even in the wet, it's so much fun!
Having just come back from Summit Point, I agree! Why wait until later in the summer to hit the track? It's eerie and awesome to have a wet track all to yourself. The 5 or so ninjettes that showed up were a serious percentage of the entire field today. You should join us!
Quote:
I'm not one to turn down advice so feel free to share!!
Also, if you go through the trouble of buying plugs, make sure you actually drill the holes in your belly pan and install them. The inch+ of water that collected in mine is not the sort of ballast I really wanted .

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #13
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Having just come back from Summit Point, I agree! Why wait until later in the summer to hit the track? It's eerie and awesome to have a wet track all to yourself. The 5 or so ninjettes that showed up were a serious percentage of the entire field today. You should join us!Also, if you go through the trouble of buying plugs, make sure you actually drill the holes in your belly pan and install them. The inch+ of water that collected in mine is not the sort of ballast I really wanted .
Sure why not, just let me know when the next track day is and I'll try and make it! I guess my main worry was getting out there too soon and looking a complete idiot.

Okay I've gotta admit...lol what the hell are plugs??? I've googled it and can't find anything.

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #14
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Sure why not, just let me know when the next track day is and I'll try and make it! I guess my main worry was getting out there too soon and looking a complete idiot.
Every reputable track org has coaches available in the pits and on the track during every session. They also typically offer a more formal school setup. If you can operate all the controls comfortably - a minimum you should probably meet before riding on the road with traffic/animals/constructions/etc - then a trackday org can get you on track, comfortable, and safe. The sooner you start, the better, in my opinion. If you're really worried, go to a trackday and hang out, talk to everyone, ask questions, observe. You might have to pay a couple bucks to walk in the gate, but that's it.

As far as schedule goes, you can probably be on track any and every weekend. It just depends on which track(s) you're willing to travel to and how picky you are about the organization. Links:
Quote:
Okay I've gotta admit...lol what the hell are plugs??? I've googled it and can't find anything.
The short answer: not something you need to worry about with stock bodywork.
Longer: Race bodywork has an enclosed belly pan in order to retain fluids (like oil) in the event of a mechanical problem. Those pans do their job, so in the rain they collect water. AMA and CSS rules (sect. 5.2.23 C) allow you to drill drain holes for declared wet races, as long as they are appropriately plugged when it's dry. The plugs sitting on my shelf (note: I haven't drilled drains) are made of Polyethylene:

Old May 24th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #15
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the links! It's looking like I should be able to make it to Summit Point with the Xcitement guys on June 20th. In the mean time, I've found this weird split/crack right in the middle of my rear tire, so I'm gonna replace them first.

Appreciate the help, can't wait to get out there with you guys!

Old May 25th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #16
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Welcome Michael !

Old May 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #17
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Welcome! Like toEleven has said, there is a pretty good number of ninjette folk in the DMV region. Odds are, you will find 250s and 300s at any of the trackdays you might consider.

If you're unsure of the whole track thing, most providers offer a sampler or street ride option. This might be two sessions in the morning or a lunch time parade lap for free. Think of it like a free sample from the dealer to get you addicted. Also, even if people in the puts look like they're off in their own little world, almost everyone is always friendly and open to talking if you approach them.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #18
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
Welcome! Like toEleven has said, there is a pretty good number of ninjette folk in the DMV region. Odds are, you will find 250s and 300s at any of the trackdays you might consider.

If you're unsure of the whole track thing, most providers offer a sampler or street ride option. This might be two sessions in the morning or a lunch time parade lap for free. Think of it like a free sample from the dealer to get you addicted. Also, even if people in the puts look like they're off in their own little world, almost everyone is always friendly and open to talking if you approach them.
Thanks I've actually signed up for the track day at Summit Point on June 20th. My one question is, because I'm going to be getting new tires before I go. How long should you "break in" the tires before taking them to the track? I know that new tires have something on them that makes them a bit slick when they're right out the box.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #19
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Wow, so I just took my bike to get safety inspected at a car dealership today, apparently I'm only the 2nd guy ever to come there for the inspection. Pretty much as soon as the bike was taken out back to get inspected, one of the mechanics came back asking me why I would buy a 250 and how I should've bought a 1000 because it's too slow and small for me. (6ft 200lbs). Then once I told him my intention was to track the bike he scoffed saying I still should've bought a 1000.

It's funny because I was riding the relatively twisty back roads on my way there and absolutely had a blast! I swear people don't realize how much fun twisties can be on "only" a 250!

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #20
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Thanks I've actually signed up for the track day at Summit Point on June 20th. My one question is, because I'm going to be getting new tires before I go. How long should you "break in" the tires before taking them to the track? I know that new tires have something on them that makes them a bit slick when they're right out the box.
I'm pretty sure there's a lengthy discussion elsewhere on the forum about mold release agents and whether or not they're still a relevant concern with modern tire manufacturing. You might search for it if you've got time to kill.

With regard to the question, I guess I would suggest you do a normal break in on the street if that's an option. 100+ miles would more than cover it. The manufacturer of your tires will also have detailed suggestions for break in.

It's kind of a comfort thing though. Breaking in new tires at the track is something I would consider normal, especially on bigger bikes that eat tires at alarming rates. I've done it on my 300. What matters is that you understand the condition of those tires and ride in a manner that respects the condition.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #21
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
This article from Sport Rider is pretty good on the tire topic you've raised.

Old May 26th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #22
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Smile

Welcome DC!
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #23
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
This.

I have ridden fresh tires on track. Even if the concern is of scuffing up the tire surface, a session should be enough. The modern tires do not have the same problems as in the old days.

But if it makes you feel more confident to ride some street miles, then definitely do. But I would not worry about it.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks I've just read the article and based on what I've been reading/seeing I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires front and rear

Old May 28th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #25
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #26
SCMike
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Ninja 650R, MV Agusta F3 675 RC, Ducati 899 Panigale

New to Forum

Morning All. Just joined this forum as I have acquired a Ninja 250R to play around with at the track. Other riders were having so much fun on this bike, I thought I would give it a whirl! Familiar with these forums as I also have a 650R track bike. They have helped me immensely in coming up to speed on different bikes. Thanks for all your good work.
SCMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #27
ninja-turtle
ninjette.org member

Name: El Jefe

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 636

Quote:
Hey everyone, I just recently acquired my first bike an 09 250R and coming from a family with a love for racing I'm looking forward to getting out to some track days sometime later this summer. I'm not one to turn down advice so feel free to share!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post

Welcome
Quote:
Having just come back from Summit Point, I agree! Why wait until later in the summer to hit the track? It's eerie and awesome to have a wet track all to yourself. The 5 or so ninjettes that showed up were a serious percentage of the entire field today. You should join us!Also, if you go through the trouble of buying plugs, make sure you actually drill the holes in your belly pan and install them. The inch+ of water that collected in mine is not the sort of ballast I really wanted .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post

Welcome to Ninjette and the kawi family! A lot of ninja 250/300 riders in the DMV area are pretty tight knit and keep in contact for track days and races. We would absolutely love getting you on the track for your first time and helping you become a better rider. Most of us stay in contact through Facebook for events etc. You can find us by searching DCRIDEIT or going here > https://www.facebook.com/groups/DCRIDEIT

Feel free to join us and post up your favorite pic of your bike and a quick intro. Hope to get you out there on the track with the rest of us soon!
ninja-turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #28
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja-turtle View Post
Welcome to Ninjette and the kawi family! A lot of ninja 250/300 riders in the DMV area are pretty tight knit and keep in contact for track days and races. We would absolutely love getting you on the track for your first time and helping you become a better rider. Most of us stay in contact through Facebook for events etc. You can find us by searching DCRIDEIT or going here > https://www.facebook.com/groups/DCRIDEIT

Feel free to join us and post up your favorite pic of your bike and a quick intro. Hope to get you out there on the track with the rest of us soon!
Did not know about that group.

Old May 29th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #29
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja-turtle View Post

Thanks, I will do. Looking forward to getting out there with you guys!

Old June 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #30
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Hey you guys, it's been a while so I figured I should update. I've got good and bad news. Thankfully I was finally able to get my tires mounted today... somehow tires that were supposed to show up in two days ended up taking a week and a half.

Sadly I'm not gonna be able to make it to a track day for a few months as it turns out I owe Uncle Sam a good bit of money. So instead I will be heading up to Skyline drive for a bit of riding this weekend

Old June 15th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #31
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Bummer about the track days. Skyline is great, but beware of (1)visitors unsure of where their turn is and (2) deer. In my (unpleasant) experience, they will attempt to make their turn at the last minute even if their pace makes it completely impossible, thus blocking one or more lanes and giving everyone a chance to work on their braking skills.

The deer are far more sensible, but I haven't yet made a Skyline trip that didn't involve at least one deer within arms reach of the road. They're especially fond of blind corners.

Oh, and the year pass is a better deal if you think you'll make it out there more than 3 or so times.

Old June 15th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #32
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
And remember the slow speed limit, and the stopping tourists. Also ambulance rides down from the the sky line drive are very expensive according to a friend of mine that came around a corner to a bunch of stopped cars, hit the brakes hard, dropped his bike and broke his arm.