ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:26 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Backoff XP?

Anyone have this? (http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp) it comes with a cable to hook up a hazard flasher. Has anyone tried it? I am doing it myself, so I would like help as to how to get the hazards to work. I could imagine I need an on off switch, but then do I need to hook any wires to the turn signals? It doesn't really say much.
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

It is an inline modulator, so just some soldering and wiring/troubleshooting:

Quote:
Installation
To install, wire the BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module in-line with your existing brake light wire. Locate your brake light wire and cut the wire into 2 (use a test light or multi-meter to find proper wire). Choose the mode you would like from the 2 available and connect the mode wire (red/white or white/red) to the wire leading to the rear of your bike, and connect the red wire from the module to the cut brake light wire leading toward the front of the bike. Tap the black wire from the module to a ground wire and read instructions below for the optional yellow wire. Finally peel the paper lining off of the double sided adhesive pad and mount the module to a clean, flat surface. (Be sure to cap off the unused mode wire)

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:33 AM   #3
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
It is an inline modulator, so just some soldering and wiring/troubleshooting:
Okay this might sound like a stupid question, but most of this I can do by my self. How do I "cap off" a wire? can I use electrical tape? I have soldering tools and thats not issue to me to fix things like this but 2 things I have never done, I have never had a wire unused and had to cap it off, and I never had the risk of my work getting wet, so can I just cover it with electrical tape and it keep the water off after I solder the ends together?

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

you can use electrical tape or heat shrink [Heat shrink is a more professional look]. For the unused wire(s) just make sure you cut the end so the wires are flush with the sheathing then tape or heat shrink the end over so nothing can make contact with it.

Edit: You could also use butt connectors to crimp the wires together, no soldering then

Spoiler for topic:

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:45 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
How do I "cap off" a wire? can I use electrical tape?
nm, Defy said the same thing I just said.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:49 AM   #6
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
nm, Defy said the same thing I just said.
Butt connectors?

Yea sorry, I'm use to soldering everything so I don't use connectors that often.

Spoiler for topic:

Old May 27th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #7
ZeroGravity360

thanks guys, that seems easier to do outside than having a soldering tool on an extention chord.

Old May 27th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake...-flasher-c-65/ is half the price and has multiple flash patterns. Neither of the BackOff's patterns are what I consider ideal, but I'd probably prefer #2. Constant flashing forever bugs me.

Another installation option is to buy a set of male/female plugs that match where the brake light plugs into the main harness. You can solder it all up inside, then it just plugs into your bike with no permanent modifications. You could also add a dual-throw switch from the BackOff's two outputs to the brake light wire, to let you easily choose between the two modes.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #9
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake...-flasher-c-65/ is half the price and has multiple flash patterns. Neither of the BackOff's patterns are what I consider ideal, but I'd probably prefer #2. Constant flashing forever bugs me.

Another installation option is to buy a set of male/female plugs that match where the brake light plugs into the main harness. You can solder it all up inside, then it just plugs into your bike with no permanent modifications. You could also add a dual-throw switch from the BackOff's two outputs to the brake light wire, to let you easily choose between the two modes.
wow, okay! I already bought the backoff XP I wonder if they would let me return it. Which one of those do you suggest? I am not sure the difference between them lol

Old May 27th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #10
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
wow, okay! I already bought the backoff XP I wonder if they would let me return it. Which one of those do you suggest? I am not sure the difference between them lol
If there's a restocking fee and return shipping, it might not be worth the effort to change.

The product pages have a chart comparing their features.

The $15 S1 only has one flash mode, with two different speed settings for incandescent or LED lights. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/docum...eFlasherS1.pdf

The $20 M1 has "many" flash options, and is the one used in their videos. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/docum...eFlasherM1.pdf

The $30 G1 has an accelerometer builtin, so it can actually flash your brake when you're slowing down without actually using your brakes. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/docum...eFlasherG1.pdf

I got the M1. Back when I made my purchase, the discount for buying 2 made them $15 each, so it seemed like a no-brainer to just grab one for my car too. For the slight price difference, the M1 seems to give you a lot more than the S1. The G1 is a good idea, but I'm too much of a control freak to let something else control my brake light for me. Rather than assuming it will turn on the brake light for me, I just make sure to tap my brake lever if I need to alert someone behind me that I'm slowing down without brakes. Then I know exactly when my brake light is or isn't on.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote