ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Which exhaust do you have and why?

As the title says... did you choose it on looks/ performance/ sound/ ease of fitting/ price or a combo? Had you seen your exhaust on a ninja 250 before you bought it? Why did you choose yours over the other available?

The reason is I want to get a new exhaust to complete my mods and cos I think the stock one looks a bit like a skinny pedal bin! Ideally I want something that looks good, isn't shiny (carbon fibre would be good!), is (relatively) easy to fit and doesn't break the bank....

Anyway, I 'd like to get peoples thoughts - currently in the UK we seem to be limited to the scorpion range as the only exhaust we don't have to import so would be particularly interested to hear anyones views on that....

Thanks!
zail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Area P Quiet core because its not MEGA loud and makes great power.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

2 Brothers because it was free. Glad I have it now. Apparently my bike sounds like no other bike around and I am regularly identified by my friends and other bikes at bike nights.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #4
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Stock, because I don't like PO-ing off my neighbors when I commute to work at 7 AM.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

HMF racing because it looks nice, sounds good and inexpensive.

Performance wise, 5-7% increase is noticeable without rejetting or shimming
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6
kutelilkittie
Jackalope Master

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawi Green Ninja 250*CF Yoshi Full*Cowl*AM Ducati blinkers*Ghetto tail chop

Carbon fiber Yoshi full system. Looks and I want to be louder than the ducati 996 I ride with. I sound like a frikin bi plane now, it's awsome
Posted via Mobile Device
kutelilkittie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM   #7
tntremainiac
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): Concours 1400 (Fat Ninja), Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Ninja 250, 80 Honda Streettracker

Yosh stainless
Sounds good, looks good, price was right.
tntremainiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #8
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Stock. I don't want a loud exhaust droning in my ear for 5 hours. Also because it is the cheapest
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM   #9
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

+1 for stock.

Price & sound [level] is right. True, a little more power would be nice (I still have to do the needle shim or rejet because I run lean), but imo the cost/benifit makes me look more toward the 650r at that point, rather than invest a lot in squeezing small amounts of power from my 250r.

I'm also in CA, so when those #$%@$%@# bastards (can I say that word?) start making me smog my bike soon, it won't be much of an issue.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM   #10
lilninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250

two brothers cuz it was on the bike when i got it. but i love the way it sounds.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

AreaP Carbon Fibre Quiet Core (Full system)

Why? It looks great, sounds great, performance gains and power curve based on dyno charts are very good. It was very well priced and the customer service from AreaP was top notch

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I wound up going with a 2 bros CF slip on for now. I accidentally bid on it on ebay and wound up getting it for $250 with shipping. To me its the best sounding exhaust out right now, tied with the yoshi. I just love the style of the 2 bros CF. Plus the price is pretty killer also.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #13
mxnello
ninjette.org member

Name: Nello

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R 'Blue'

FMF Apex, slip-on sounds good, solid improvement over stock can, lighter not overly loud IMO.
mxnello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM   #14
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

2 brothers CF cause it was on the bike when i got it and it sounds great ,going to remove snorkel will see how it changes sounds

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM   #15
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Stock, as I don't want to be a jerk and give the impression that people who ride motorcycles are self centered punks who value their right to make noise over everyone else's right to preserve their hearing. Hmm, maybe I am a jerk.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #16
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Stock GSX-R exhaust. I did it mainly for looks. I think it fits the shape of the bike perfectly. I also like the black cover which compliments the color scheme of the bike. And lastly I like the way its mounted low and close to the fairing with no mount needed.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Jacksmeow
ninjette.org member

Name: Gale

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R; '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800A, sometimes I ride my husband's '01 GSX-R 600

I just can't make up my mind....After years of riding a loud cruiser, a quiet bike is kinda nice. The stock exhaust doesn't look so bad after Jax put wheel tape on my rims. I was leaning towards the Yoshi carbon fiber because I like the way it looked, but I want to see one in person.
Jacksmeow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Black D&D slip-on. I liked that almost every part of it was black, including the heatshield. It also has a deeper sound to it w/o sounding like it's passing gas, lol... It is loud, but every vehicle I've ever owned had a loud exhaust. It's just who I am, much to my wife's chagrin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0260.jpg (112.3 KB, 37 views)

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM   #19
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Full Area-P 12" standard (yeah, the LOUD one) because that's what Scotty installed on the bike before he sold it to me. I don't like loud pipes on bikes and I've never had one on any of my bikes. That said, this Area-P really grew on me and I really don't consider it as loud as some people think. I don't ride at redline wherever I go and I've yet to have anyone say the pipe was loud. It has a real nice bassy burble that will vibrate your fillings a bit when you start her up, but once I'm on the road I don't notice it being increadibly louder than the stock pipe. Crank the throttle and the decibels will certainly rise with the rpms, but in normal driving without any severe throttle imputs it can actually sound quite docile. On the other hand, if someone screws with you on the road and you just want to pass them and leave them in the dust, that muffler can leave quite a parting statement. I feel like I have the best of both worlds in one muffler.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM   #20
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Yoshi full system. I love the deep growl it has to it. A guy riding an 09 GSX-R1000 commented on how mean it sounded and made his bike look bad, lol. Also, because I still believe in "Loud pipes save lives" even though other people seem to disagree. And no, I'm not a "self centered punk" either.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM   #21
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Leovince slip-on w/ db killer.

loud pipes save lives, looks great, weight savings, power increase, and love the sound.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Army Aviator
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

12" Area-P full system, supported by replacing the airbox with K&N filter pods and jetting the carbs. It's loud the way I like it and it's made more than one fellow soldier feel inadequate because his 600 seems quieter than my 250.

But seriously, like TrueFaith said, it's not as bad as a few people made it seem like it might be. I started with the quiet core version for about 6 months and I'm much happier now that I've traded for a 12" can.
Army Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM   #23
headshrink

Not judging my 250r brothers, but we should all be mindful of the image we project (with or without pipes). When we get demonized, they get angry and start passing more laws....

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #24
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Not judging my 250r brothers, but we should all be mindful of the image we project (with or without pipes). When we get demonized, they get angry and start passing more laws....
Crap, in that case, I better go unmod my diesel truck and have it stop spouting a black cloud of death every time I nail the gas before those tree huggers get ahold of me..

Somebody somewhere will always have a problem with what someone else prefers, human nature. Different strokes for different folks.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM   #25
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
Crap, in that case, I better go unmod my diesel truck and have it stop spouting a black cloud of death every time I nail the gas before those tree huggers get ahold of me..

Somebody somewhere will always have a problem with what someone else prefers, human nature. Different strokes for different folks.
Ohhh... I'm not saying that.... not into pacifying or appeasing people, just being respectful (reasonably that is). So no, I'm also not saying to get rid of your pipe..... just please don't let 'er rip in front of my house when the baby is sleeping. Along the same note, I say keep spouting that black cloud, just don't do donuts on your neighbors' lawns to rub it in ;p

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #26
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Ohhh... I'm not saying that.... not into pacifying or appeasing people, just being respectful (reasonably that is). So no, I'm also not saying to get rid of your pipe..... just please don't let 'er rip in front of my house when the baby is sleeping. Along the same note, I say keep spouting that black cloud, just don't do donuts on your neighbors' lawns to rub it in ;p
Ahahahah, it's funny you should mention trucks and yards. Short story. My front yard needed to get mowed and one of my neighbors (pretty sure which one it was) left a nasty little note taped to my front door. So what did I do? 11 at night I climb into my truck, roll it onto my front yard, and start rocking it back and forth to flatten my "too tall" weeds down..

Needless to say, nasty neighbor came out in her bath robe with her arms crossed glaring at me. I parked the truck, grabbed the Round up, and now have the UGLIEST yard on the entire street. They didn't like look at the weeds so now they can stare at the entire dead yard.

Don't worry, yard is getting re seeded soon..

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #27
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So no, I'm also not saying to get rid of your pipe..... just please don't let 'er rip in front of my house when the baby is sleeping.
Meant to reply to this too. I agree with this view. Some noise is okay, just gotta be careful where you're using it.

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #28
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Leovince slip-on w/ db killer.

loud pipes save lives, looks great, weight savings, power increase, and love the sound.

Rubbish.

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...ths/index.html
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...r_risk_rights/
etc.,etc.

Tim

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #29
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Jardine RT5 slip on and in the process of removing the Kleen air system and air box. Also shimming the needles and installing larger main jets. Its louder than stock but not unbearable. I live in part of town where its common to hear a harley accidentally set off car alarms so my bike is quiet compared to others. Not expensive and increasing the airflow to add even a small amount of power makes the ride more enjoyable as well.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #30
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Thanks for all the replies - certainly some food for thought there! So far looks wise I like Matt's Black D&D slip-on best I think but Matt says it's really loud so... hmmm... Don't want to annoy my neighbours (or anyone elses either!) - we already have a 'busa rider 3 garages down who seems to think he needs to wake up the neighbourhood with 10 mins of revving echoing through his garage at 7am before leaving for work......

Going to do a bit more reaseach on what I get get for def in the UK - do any of you technical gurus know if the cans for carbed and FI bikes are fundementally different?
zail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #31
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
My Area-P 12" standard doesn't come close to the noise some of the Harley riders around here make, even with a WOT. I've heard my neighbors complaining about how much noise these hogs make flying down the main drag here, but they think my Ninja with the Area-P is "cute".
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #32
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

to each their own.

All the claims that you can't hear an exhaust if you're in front of the bike is more than rubbish, though. Albeit it's not as loud but sound waves don't travel in one direction. Also keep in mind that accidents can happen from the rear and the sides when people change lanes. I pay attention to avoiding an accident from the front, it's much harder to preempt someone merging into your lane.

And just from the first link:
Quote:
The other serious problem I have with this supposition is that it is, at best, a secondary safety measure, not a primary or proactive measure. Assuming that the other driver will act with caution once you have identified your presence by the sound of your bike roaring up from behind is foolhardy at best. That's like assuming that if you were to wear a bright yellow safety vest, or full riding gear, you can relax because now you're protected!
That's like saying you shouldn't wear full riding gear. IMHO every little bit counts, whether it's a high viz vest/helmet or a louder exhaust that drivers might see or hear a split second earlier.

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #33
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zail View Post
Thanks for all the replies - certainly some food for thought there! So far looks wise I like Matt's Black D&D slip-on best I think but Matt says it's really loud so... hmmm... Don't want to annoy my neighbours (or anyone elses either!) - we already have a 'busa rider 3 garages down who seems to think he needs to wake up the neighbourhood with 10 mins of revving echoing through his garage at 7am before leaving for work......

Going to do a bit more reaseach on what I get get for def in the UK - do any of you technical gurus know if the cans for carbed and FI bikes are fundementally different?
I wouldn't classify it as really loud. I would put it on par with the regular Area P. It's not obnoxious at all. As long as you're not red-lining it in 1st or 2nd in your neighborhood, you will be fine. I normally cruise in 2nd or 3rd in my neighborhood and there are some cruisers here that are WAY louder than me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #34
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
to each their own.
The trouble with that is that if the neighbors are unhappy with a loud pipe, they will make your business theirs.

You know, I have no problem with someone who only rides out on the open highway or the track having a loud exhaust system. If you don't ride your bike in the city every day like I do, maybe you really don't need a quiet exhaust.

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #35
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

True and I'm also against the excessively loud exhausts - the reason I have a silencer on my pipe. But it doesn't have to be excessive to help be noticed by a cage. I was simply arguing the other side of the coin - a viewpoint that isn't to be disregarded as rubbish.

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #36
badcop621

I have a supertrapp muffler on mine. Its sounds just like a four wheeler.

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #37
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

lol I bet! I just googled supertrapp and they look mean!! like they'd fit right in on a pickup/monster truck too. Got any pics? First time I've seen someone post about it.

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #38
kutelilkittie
Jackalope Master

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawi Green Ninja 250*CF Yoshi Full*Cowl*AM Ducati blinkers*Ghetto tail chop

its soooooo pretty!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (75.6 KB, 4 views)

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #39
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Stock, cause I am a cheap skate. I originally got the bike because of gas mileage, and, correct me if I am wrong, but I have noticed that bikes that have exhaust and intake mods, have much lower gas milage. I haven't checked my milage since Sound_wave and I shimmed the carbs, but I don't want to invest alot a money into mods, esp when it is rather short right now. My next several buys is going to be riding gear, ie boots, pants and possibly new gloves, the ones I have now are getting tight. But, enough about me,

On with the exhaust show...

nb

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #40
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Sorry if I offended with the jerk comment. By ending the rant suggesting that I too may be one was an attempt to highlight the humor.

Anyway, I have also noticed a correlation between the loudness of the bike and the lack of much safety gear. If loud pipes were really about safety you would assume that those riders would also sport high-viz colors and headlight modulators. I have NEVER seen this combination.

I still maintain that loud pipes are about vanity and the "loud pipes save lives" line is pure rationalization to deflect criticism.

Tim