ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 30th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Woo hooooo! New tires!

So I just picked up my bike after getting the new Avon Am26's put on and all I can say is, holy jesus ****ing christ! Good tires are a world of difference. I know these are no Diablo's, but damn are they better than the stock IRC and the one Kenda rear that I had. I didn't know what I was missing this whole time. 2 bloody years of riding on crap tires and now I have to re-learn how to corner because the feeling of these grippy, rubber rounds of awesomeness have made it a whole new bike. I can't even describe the feeling of taking corners now, its like the front tire just pulls itself into the corner. Hopefully the longevity of these tires are just as good. If so then I will be getting these for my next set.
20140730_135925.jpg

20140730_142712.jpg

20140730_142646.jpg
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I love it when my girl gets new shoes. So peppy and flickable. Nothing beats that wonderful sense of movement.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #3
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

The Avon AM26 Roadriders is a popular tire among Triumph Thruxton and Bonneville owners. They are track worthy for those that track or race their Thruxtons. I still use the AM26s on my Bonneville.

However the tires are bias plys. I would try a set of Rosso IIs next for not much more.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #4
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
The Avon AM26 Roadriders is a popular tire among Triumph Thruxton and Bonneville owners. They are track worthy for those that track or race their Thruxtons. I still use the AM26s on my Bonneville.

However the tires are bias plys. I would try a set of Rosso IIs next for not much more.
I would however I go through tires too fast, put around 1k miles on a month. If I went with rosso or Diablo I would be buying tires every 5 months

Old July 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I would however I go through tires too fast, put around 1k miles on a month. If I went with rosso or Diablo I would be buying tires every 5 months
Good point. The AM26s do have decent longevity. Thruxtons have 18" fronts and 17" rear wheels. The Bonneville has 19" front and 17" wheels. I would look for a radial still IMO because 17" wheels are common size. If you can't, the AM26s are good fallback tire
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Good point. The AM26s do have decent longevity. Thruxtons have 18" fronts and 17" rear wheels. The Bonneville has 19" front and 17" wheels. I would look for a radial still IMO because 17" wheels are common size. If you can't, the AM26s are good fallback tire
Not sure what the longevity of the demons are, they are bias ply like the Avon. Just sticking with bias because that is what the bike was designed to use with and tend to last a little longer. If I was doing track I wouldn't go without the diablo's.

on another side note, my head shimmy has disappeared with the new tires. Was afraid it was due to the ball bearing stem going out

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #7
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I have 11k on my rear michelin pilot street tire that i got back in february that still has a lot of life in it compared to the stock one that got 15k out of it before needing another tire.
They are well worth getting, they make the bike feel planted in all situations on the road you could possibly encounter, and the gaps in the road are nothing for these tires compared to the stock irc's that would follow all the cracks and make the bike squirm under you.
I put a lot of miles on my bike per week which can be as much as 1k or more depending on how much fun i am having and what more i want to go and explore.

There is a reason why they are on backorder from many online shops.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM   #8
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

200+ miles with my Michelin Pilot Street. Absoflippinglutely different bike. I dream about riding my bike now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
I have 11k on my rear michelin pilot street tire that i got back in february that still has a lot of life in it compared to the stock one that got 15k out of it before needing another tire.
They are well worth getting, they make the bike feel planted in all situations on the road you could possibly encounter, and the gaps in the road are nothing for these tires compared to the stock irc's that would follow all the cracks and make the bike squirm under you.
I put a lot of miles on my bike per week which can be as much as 1k or more depending on how much fun i am having and what more i want to go and explore.

There is a reason why they are on backorder from many online shops.

Old August 5th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #9
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

I have Pirelli Sport Demons on mine, they're nice.

Whatever tyres you have, make sure you check your tire pressures frequently (at least once per month)
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I have those Avons on my 250. I like them, I think they have decent stick in both wet and dry pavement, and they seem to lean over well.

Old August 5th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #11
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I have those Avons on my 250. I like them, I think they have decent stick in both wet and dry pavement, and they seem to lean over well.
That is what I have noticed is the lean is a lot better than the stock IRC's and the kenda I had on. I really like them so far, will just see how many miles I get out of the rear. I was expecting at least 10k out of the Kenda rear, but only got 7600

Old August 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
fred smoot
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ducati 900SS/SP 45k miles

new tires . . .

check your tire pressures every time before you ride, as your life depends on them being correct. Low pressure in your tires make things go bad in a hurry.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." -Mario Andretti
fred smoot is offline   Reply With Quote