Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

What were the chances?

Ok, long story short...

Friend was getting married. His bride to be wanted the wedding on Mother's Day since her mom passed away. Just about everyone in the party complained because of the day. After many people said they would pass the wedding to spend time with their mothers, they rescheduled.

What day was is scheduled to you ask??? Why the day of my wedding anniversary!! How awesome is that? So last weekend my wife and I hung out with the groom (I have known him for 10 years, my wife has known him for about 6) that Friday evening after the rehearsal. We were out late watching others in the wedding party getting their drink on. I drank some, but real light.

Saturday wedding: upper 90's with a heat index over 100, a full black tuxedo, no shade = LOTS OF FUN!

So because of that, we are celebrating our anniversary this weekend. Should be a blast. MMMMmmmm high class steak restaurant on Friday. Mmmmmmm....ribeye oscar style (covered in a rich sauce with crab and lobster, on a bed of asparagus). Dang, I'm hungry already.

So what I am wondering, if a friend scheduled his/her wedding on the day of your anniversary, would you attend? What days are considered "off limits" for weddings (i.e. days you would not go)?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Mothers day is off limits. Not because of your/my mother but because its difficult to get a reception hall. Being a former/hopefully current (more on that later) restaurant owner/manager. Mothers day is your bread and butter. I would not rent my facilities for a reception. Ill make 5 times that serving the public.
Add Valentines day, St Pattys day, New years Eve and any other holiday that is a big "eating out and drinking night".
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I party pretty hard at weddings, so I really enjoy them. However, I don't like it when I have to sacrifice a weekend during the summer for one. The only reason I'll go to a wedding during the summer is if I'm asked to be in it. Sadly, I have 3 weddings this summer, all of which I'm in...
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

The chances were 1/365. Unless your anniversary was on Feb 29. Then they would have been 1/1460
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I'd have no problem going to a wedding (or anything else, really) on my wedding anniversary. We often celebrate our anniversary before or after the actual date depending on what works best for our schedules.

I can't really think of any date that I absolutely wouldn't/couldn't attend an event like a wedding. The only wedding I've been invited to that I didn't rearrange my schedule to attend was when I was out of the country for my own honeymoon.

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

My wife and I don't celebrate our anniversary since it's also the day of my birthday. I'm not sure why, but neither of us feel strongly about having to celebrate it. We do special stuff for each other on birthdays and Christmas. That's about it. Even then, I've never felt strongly about my birthday either. I usually just treat it as a normal day. If a friend were to get married on it or my anniversary, I wouldn't have any problems going. Birthdays/anniversaries happen every year, but not your friend's wedding.

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I do not believe in anniversaries or public holidays. Some of them are just an excuse to be off work for a day (I appreciate that). Some of them have a higher meaning to more religious people.

I think every other day is just as good as mother's day to be nice to your mother, or to spend a nice evening with your wife. It has more charm that way, at least for me.

So in my book all days are available for everything.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The problem with getting married on a Holiday date is that after the divorce that Holiday becomes a nightmare to remember every year.

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
The chances were 1/365. Unless your anniversary was on Feb 29. Then they would have been 1/1460

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
The problem with getting married on a Holiday date is that after the divorce that Holiday becomes a nightmare to remember every year.
Speaking from personal experience?

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I say its dumb to get married near any holiday or birthday because some people are gonna combine the two in their gift giving. One gift to cover both anniversary and mothers day whereas they would have probably given the same gift for just the anniversary and given a second gift for mother's, had there been some time between the two.

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #12
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I say its dumb to get married near any holiday or birthday because some people are gonna combine the two in their gift giving. One gift to cover both anniversary and mothers day whereas they would have probably given the same gift for just the anniversary and given a second gift for mother's, had there been some time between the two.
We've never combined gifts or if we do, it's usually something expensive. 2 years ago, I took my wife to europe and that counted as her bday and anniversary gift. Gift giving/receiving isn't as important to some people.

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
We've never combined gifts or if we do, it's usually something expensive. 2 years ago, I took my wife to europe and that counted as her bday and anniversary gift. Gift giving/receiving isn't as important to some people.
And most every one would probably agree with you. This is one of them things where it seems that every one stakes claim to one side yet out in the world, many are acting on the other side. It's like driving in the left lane exactly at, or a tad below the posted limit. Every one I have ever talked to agrees that this drives them out of their minds. Nobody ever says "yeah, I do that," yet there they are, 54mph in the left lane with traffic backed up behind them. Who are these people that just don't exist when the topic arises?

Last futzed with by rockNroll; June 16th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Speaking from personal experience?
No way, I got married on Pearl Harbor Day!

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Liber
ninjette.org sage

^lol...