ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old December 17th, 2018, 06:02 AM   #1
superman2coo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: superman2coo

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki EL 250

Exclamation 1999 Kawasaki EL 250: Need Help, blown gasket?

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1999 Kawasaki Eliminator 250 for a steal from some dude saying it wont start and so I thought I could maybe fix it up.

First of all, the bike can crank but it wont start and noticed the warning light was on and that the oil in the engine was empty. I started to drain the oil by removing the drain plug with the filter, and just black oil came out and left it to drain. While its draining I checked the radiator near the fuel tank to find it to look empty of coolant. So I started pouring in some green coolant when I noticed it started to drip out a steady stream of coolant from where I was draining the oil underneath the bike, which is odd.

At first I thought this could be a problem with the water pump cause I traced the radiator hoses first to a water pump and then the water pump to the cylinder head.

So I have no idea if this is a water pump seal problem or a head gasket problem or possibly something else. I suspect perhaps due to a crack in the head gasket, coolant maybe flowing into the oil and mixing. Also pulled off the radiator hose going into the water pump to find it was full of oil (dont think oil should be in the cooling system nor the oiling system).

What could be the problem?
superman2coo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2018, 06:05 AM   #2
superman2coo
ninjette.org newbie

To reinforce that, the coolant definitely came from inside the oil pan out of the open oil drain bolt. The more I put coolant/water in the radiator, the more it comes out of the oil drain.

Old December 17th, 2018, 08:06 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman2coo View Post
To reinforce that, the coolant definitely came from inside the oil pan out of the open oil drain bolt. The more I put coolant/water in the radiator, the more it comes out of the oil drain.
I suspect a blown head gasket or possibly a crack in the cylinder. Hopefully a head gasket.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Headgasket usually drips water in. If it's pouring through, more likely cracked cylinder. Easy enough to tell when you pull head.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Interested to know what the problem is. Hopefully an easy fix.

Old December 19th, 2018, 07:45 PM   #6
superman2coo
ninjette.org newbie

Exclamation Waterpump seals and Headgasket

So I took out the engine of the bike and looked into the water pump assembly and found out one of the water pump seals came off out of the housing. So coolant was leaking out of the water pump into the oil pan through the impeller shaft.

Simple enough I put back the oil seal back into place and it fixed the coolant leaking into the oil pan problem.

But as I put back the engine together and refilled the coolant, another problem occurred and now coolant was leaking out of the head gasket on the exhaust side. So another problem to fix.... Now I have to take off the cams to get to the head gasket and am unsure of how to put it back together since you are messing with valve timing.

I found an image for timing for a 250 Ninja that is attached and hope it is the same with the EL250. At the moment the engine is not lined up as in the picture with cylinder 2 at TDC. So I'm assuming I have to put it in gear 1 and manually rotate the crankshaft that is connected to the rear wheels with the chain (i.e. rotate the rear wheel - engine is currently disconnected from bike so rotate with socket wrench?).

Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:25 AM   #7
superman2coo
ninjette.org newbie

Smile

Fixed the bike over a week ago, it was alot of work but it was done. Head cylinder was warped, head gasket looked good. Resurfaced the head and put in a new head gasket to fix the problem. Before coolant was leaking at the head and the water pump through to the oil-case. The water pump was also replaced and that fixed that problem.

Ran into a problem of overheating after when got it running and it was the thermostat stuck in a closed position not letting coolant flow through the system. That thermostat was cleaned of rust and that seemed to solve the problem.

Bike is running great now and hope what I went through may help others. Thanks guys!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 4th, 2019, 12:36 AM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome work!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote