Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 8th, 2020, 11:28 AM   #1
sg2001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

2008 ninja 250 turn signals not working

I bought a project ninja 250 with no turn signals. I went on ebay and found generic turn signals that fit on the ninja 250. I removed the stock turn signal connectors so I could jut solder the new ones on. I decided to test before soldering. I turned the bike on, hit the signals, and nothing happened. It didn't take me long to realize that the issue was that I did not have a turn signal relay. I went to autozone and bought a generic 2 pin turn signal flasher. I installed, turned the bike on, still nothing.
It is worth noting that the turn signals are incandescent (like stock ones, I believe) and I tried with the bike running, no luck.
It is also my understanding that the black/yellow wire is negative on all the turn signal wires and (I think) green is negative on the ebay turn signals because its the only color all the turn signals have in common. I attached some pics to show what I am working with (I have the front turn signals wired up the same way as the rears)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8335.jpg (67.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8334.jpg (71.1 KB, 3 views)
sg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:20 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, doesn't matter which way you have bulbs connected with incandescent ones; will work either way. Problem lies upstream somewhere.

Do you have wiring-diagram?

You'll want to trace path of power-flow from battery and test for voltage at every junction:

1. power @ battery-positive terminal = ? volts
2. power going into starter-solenoid B-terminal = ?
3. power going out of starter-solenoid white wire = ?
4. power going into ignition-switch white wire = ?
5. power going out of ignition-switch wires = ? each

etc.

Trace path from battery to bulb, about 537 junction test-points. Where power stops shows problem between that and previous test-point.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:59 PM   #3
sg2001
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, doesn't matter which way you have bulbs connected with incandescent ones; will work either way. Problem lies upstream somewhere.

Do you have wiring-diagram?

You'll want to trace path of power-flow from battery and test for voltage at every junction:

1. power @ battery-positive terminal = ? volts
2. power going into starter-solenoid B-terminal = ?
3. power going out of starter-solenoid white wire = ?
4. power going into ignition-switch white wire = ?
5. power going out of ignition-switch wires = ? each

etc.

Trace path from battery to bulb, about 537 junction test-points. Where power stops shows problem between that and previous test-point.
Do you have a pdf wiring schematic for the 2008-2012 ninja?

Old May 8th, 2020, 08:44 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

If you do Google search for "ninja 250 new-gen wiring diagram", you may find 'library of manuals' with PDF of new-gen service manual. I think page 376 may have diagram you're interested in.

So test for +12v starting at battery's positive and test every junction on way to light bulb. Turn ignition switch ON to test power after switch.

Similarly, test ground side of circuit. Starting from negative terminal of battery out, all junctions should have fully continuity/zeros ohms and direct connection to negative-terminal of battery. Work your way to ground connector at bulb-socket.

Old May 8th, 2020, 10:23 PM   #5
sg2001
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If you do Google search for "ninja 250 new-gen wiring diagram", you may find 'library of manuals' with PDF of new-gen service manual. I think page 376 may have diagram you're interested in.

So test for +12v starting at battery's positive and test every junction on way to light bulb. Turn ignition switch ON to test power after switch.

Similarly, test ground side of circuit. Starting from negative terminal of battery out, all junctions should have fully continuity/zeros ohms and direct connection to negative-terminal of battery. Work your way to ground connector at bulb-socket.
Could it be possible that the relay I got from autozone is the problem and that I have to buy an oem relay?

Old May 9th, 2020, 12:10 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

You can bypass relay with piece of wire to bridge two relay terminals. This will make turn signals turn ON and not flash when activated. You should be able to measure +12v on inlet terminal of relay (org/grn) when turn signal is activated. If signal turns ON when activated, then yes, relay may be problem. If not, then problem is elsewhere.

If you don't have power going into flasher relay, you can replace it 10x with brand-new perfectly working relays, and your turn signals still won't work. It only takes 5-minutes to test various points on harness to find exact problem. Then you can fix it permanently.

It you don't want to test and just prefer to replace parts, sure buy an OEM relay. If that doesn't work, buy brand-new harness from Kawi dealer. Don't buy used harness from eBay or breakers, those will need to be tested just like your current one.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 10th, 2020 at 11:39 PM.

Old June 5th, 2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

One thing that may help is having power to the circuit, and then connect a long wire to ground and test various locations. Start at the furthest point from power, and work your way back. See where it drops off. It could be a bad fuse, bad solder joint, something simple.

They also make a tester that has a sharp ice pick tip, a bulb inside of it, and an alligator clip to connect to ground or power. Then you can just stab the wire here and there and figure out where the connection goes south.

Will just take time to sit and find it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.