ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
kkim

"Riding Technique" forum?

Alex,

Any chance to have a "riding technique" forum added?

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
?

What is a "riding technique" forum?

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #3
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): White 2011 Aprilia RSV4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Alex,

Any chance to have a "riding technique" forum added?

I'll second that. I think it's a great idea, forum members could ask questions and receive advice from others in a specific area of the site. It would negate the need to do a word specific search as I did a couple of days ago when I was seeking advice on wet-weather riding techniques. I got a lot of non-specific results. Of course I'd plead guilty to not using the search facility properly too

Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Excellent idea, Kelly. Great stuff for us nooblets, and even those of us who have ridden for a while but never got formal instruction (outside of MSF) or track time.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM   #5
chrisenglandus
ninjette.org member

Name: Christine

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009, Honda Silverwing scooter ABS 2008

I would welcome such a forum
chrisenglandus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I think that would be a bad idea.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

It's a mood thing.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Motorcycle riding technique (adapted from skiing):

Ride very, very fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think there could be some bad advice given, then the arguments of who is correct will follow.

Riding advice should be taken from an expert. There are enough books to read however; there is nothing like a track school you get you going in the right direction. The price of admission is cheaper then the crash.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 23rd, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM   #10
kkim

Actually, cc, the idea for a riding specific forum came from the arguments/sore asses in recent threads. If there were a dedicated forum for riders who wanted help, instead of unsolicited advice, I think/hope the number of arguments would be less.

The spectrum of riding experience on this forum is very broad, so I was hoping the more experienced members would be more on board with the idea than not. The intent is to help the forum members that want/ask for help and in that process help others learn. For those that don't want help, they can skip the forum entirely.

We have DIY threads and no one argues that the info displayed there should only come from a professional and that the DIY have already been covered in books... hell, any subject/topic we discuss in a forum has already been in print somewhere.

Other forums I am on have riding technique forums and the advice given is most times very good and discussions quite mature. Sure there are differences in style, but the mechanics to accomplish most tasks are basic.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kelly, it's worth a shot. The only problem I foresee is the riders who think they know what they are talking about and really don't. In the DIY forum no one is likely to get hurt from bad advice.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #12
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Good idea Kelly and I think cc also has some valid points. Maybe the thread starts with links to the "accepted" knowledge sources that are out there (as in books) and includes a disclaimer on liability. As you said there is enough experience that if someone makes a wrong/dumass remark it can be corrected/commnedted on or if dangerious removed.

Sure bears further talk and thinking.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm happy to entertain the idea, but I'm not fully on board with it as of yet. Not because bad advice might be given out (and it certainly might, a good portion of my advice is likely terrible ), but because I think it is a topic that is so broad that it's hard to figure out what would be in that forum and what would be in General. Talking about going to MSF, is that in riding techniques, or general. Many of the threads in general could be in a techniques forum, or could stay in general, and I think the line is particularly fuzzy, compared to some other topics. Everything we do on a bike is technique in some form or another.

On the other hand, if the forum is limited to something like "rider education", then it becomes too limiting and would only cover things like going to the MSF, which can fit in a few threads. Anything to do with track schools is already well covered in the ninjettes at speed forum.

Go through the general forum now, and see if it's easy to classify which threads would be in this new proposed forum, and which wouldn't be, and see if separate them out would really help this site. as of yet...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM   #14
kkim

Alex,

Thanks for at least considering the idea. I know your feelings on frivolously adding forums, but this is an area that I don't see addressed in the current forums we have. With so many first time riders on this site, I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.

I was hoping for suggestions as to how to make the forum more encompassing, but still pertain to rider education, riding basics mechanics, riding philosophy, etc. Perhaps "Rider Technique" is not the right name for what I'm suggesting. I know you're pretty good at targeting wording for forum descriptions.

And I fully agree it would be quite difficult to sort what should be in the forum or not looking at how threads are started in the general section.

My idea was to have a forum for direct questions when someone wanted to know, for example, when to use the rear brake. There are so many different opinions on a subject as simple as that, but yet, the info would be there for anyone looking for opinions on how best to utilize it.

I'm hoping (most likely wrong) that people could refrain from being insulted and a true exchange of ideas could occur for the betterment of the general forum membership looking to increase their skill level to help make them a better rider. Isn't that something we all should be striving for?

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Alex,

Thanks for at least considering the idea. I know your feelings on frivolously adding forums, but this is an area that I don't see addressed in the current forums we have. With so many first time riders on this site, I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.

I was hoping for suggestions as to how to make the forum more encompassing, but still pertain to rider education, riding basics mechanics, riding philosophy, etc. Perhaps "Rider Technique" is not the right name for what I'm suggesting. I know you're pretty good at targeting wording for forum descriptions.

And I fully agree it would be quite difficult to sort what should be in the forum or not looking at how threads are started in the general section.

My idea was to have a forum for direct questions when someone wanted to know, for example, when to use the rear brake. There are so many different opinions on a subject as simple as that, but yet, the info would be there for anyone looking for opinions on how best to utilize it.

I'm hoping (most likely wrong) that people could refrain from being insulted and a true exchange of ideas could occur for the betterment of the general forum membership looking to increase their skill level to help make them a better rider. Isn't that something we all should be striving for?
I can't hold my tongue for that long!

Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #16
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I can't hold my tongue for that long!
Excellent point, CC. I'm with you on that thought. Of course, I'm no where near you in experience, but do try to listen to most of your riding suggestions.

Quote:
I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.
kkim, I don't know how us newbees (after 4000 miles, I still remember that I'm new to this skill!) would know who is giving good info. Example, Gary J's book quotes that I posted drew quite a bit of negative response, even though I consider him a VERY knowledgeable rider and would not hesitate to follow his suggestions (and have been practicing same). I guess it's still YMMV!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #17
kkim

It always is on a public forum. What we all provide are opinions. What you read on any forum should be taken with a grain of salt.

People should be able to read the responses and take away from it what they want, as it is with any thread on any forum.

Old April 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I think that would be a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
It's a mood thing.
Take your Midol dude.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #19
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I see what Alex is saying in regard to the number of topics that would be in said forum and the potential confusion between General Discussion and Technique. I don't know if riding technique will have enough posts to warrant a separate forum.

But... I can see the benefit of this forum. I've searched countless times to learn how others ride their motorcycles. The riding in the wind forum was invaluable. I think there was one on seat (butt) position. It was funny, but still had some good info. Was it a pain to search for these? Not really. But it would have been cool to have them all sectioned off on their own.

Will there be bad advice? Absolutely. There is already bad advice given in this forum. But, we have a pretty active community. The bad advice is usually labelled as such and disputed. The overwhelming majority of the disputes are handled civilly (which is rare for the internet and what I love about this forum). Not to mention, I love hearing several opinions on a situation. It adds to the richness of the conversation. I'm more worried about getting bad advice from another rider on the road than here. I'm pretty trusting of you guys.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #20
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Now would the discussion of "Neezhnies" and how they affect the "Yarbles" be considered riding technique?

Old April 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #21
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I liked the idea of a crash forum.
Most places have them. Keeps a bunch of drama off the front page.
"Discuss or post your crash pics and videos in here"
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #22
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've been working on some forum ideas for a project and was thinking about post ratings. A forum like this technique forum, a great idea btw would really benefit from that since in time, posts that are legit help would get rated / modded / liked up and then by who is doing this, you get to know trust the words and the people.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

K - it's up.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Moved a pile of threads over from General. Likely missed some, so if you see any that belong there just post up in the thread and I'll see it at some point...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #24
kkim

Thank you.

Old May 9th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #25
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Than KKim for the idea and Alex for taking the time to think about it and making it happen.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #26
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Now that there is a technique forum I bet there will be no mores crashes from our members. We should have done this sooner.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Well, up until we create a Crash forum so people can remember how to do it.

Old May 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #28
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I think showing all the crashes more along the lines of helps people not to crash.. than antagonizes them to do it.

Showing my crash sure didn't get people out there pointed at rails now did it? "Scared straight"

Negativity towards those who crash has been shown to not help much either now, hasn't it?!

No matter how often you tell someone to ride the track, they're still going to use your "techniques" on the street and end up getting hurt. I can think of one example right now that isn't me.

Experience won't help (well, to some extent it will). I don't care if you're pro. You are still going to find your down.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #29
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

If you push your limits,eventually you will pass your limit !
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
If you push your limits,eventually you will pass your limit !
So if you stay within your limits you should be OK?