ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Server Move Planned - Feb 23/24

Howdy -

As some have probably noticed, there have been some slowdowns on the site over the past week or two. I've tried all I can think of on the existing host to get them fixed, but nothing has really done the trick. We're already on a dedicated server for that host, which is not inexpensive. But - it's not a particularly new or powerful one, either.

A new trend in hosting is offering SSD-based VPS's, which allow for much greater performance than those running on standard hard drives. For database-intensive apps like forums, there can be a real improvement. In many cases, the specs can be better on an SSD VPS than a dedicated server. So I've found a highly-rated host near Atlanta, and have provisioned a new VPS there. They run on a hybrid SSD-cached/standard system, which gets the majority of the benefit, but allows for cheaper/larger storage.

I plan to move the site over sometime this weekend if all goes well. There may be some downtime, but hopefully not too much. At some point I will need to turn off the forum, so posts aren't lost along the way. I'll provide updates throughout on our Facebook group page.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Howdy -

As some have probably noticed, there have been some slowdowns on the site over the past week or two. I've tried all I can think of on the existing host to get them fixed, but nothing has really done the trick. We're already on a dedicated server for that host, which is not inexpensive. But - it's not a particularly new or powerful one, either.

A new trend in hosting is offering SSD-based VPS's, which allow for much greater performance than those running on standard hard drives. For database-intensive apps like forums, there can be a real improvement. In many cases, the specs can be better on an SSD VPS than a dedicated server. So I've found a highly-rated host near Atlanta, and have provisioned a new VPS there. They run on a hybrid SSD-cached/standard system, which gets the majority of the benefit, but allows for cheaper/larger storage.

I plan to move the site over sometime this weekend if all goes well. There may be some downtime, but hopefully not too much. At some point I will need to turn off the forum, so posts aren't lost along the way. I'll provide updates throughout on our Facebook group page.
SQL troubles? Try "DROP TABLE users; DROP TABLE forums" that'll get rid of all the bad data
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That plus rm *.* and we'll be in business.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Off to bigger and better things

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - it's in progress. Have taken all of our attachments from this server, and am loading them to the new server now. They total about 3 GB, so not as much as one might think. But still, uploading 3 GB takes awhile. (about an hour and 20 minutes, the way it looks now. (about 600 KB/s up, or around 6 Mb/s). I sometimes get 7 or 8, but it seems to be running a little slower today. Downloading from the old server goes more quickly, as I can get 25 - 30 Mb/s in that direction. Hmm.... realized it might have made more sense to just move the file directly from the one server to the other rather than using my own system as an intermediary....

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK, fixed that problem. SCP from server to server went at 10.9 MB/s or almost 100 Mb/s instead of the 6 Mb/s I was looking at. Finished in 4 minutes instead of an hour 20!

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Managed to get a full database load over to the new server, and brought up successfully. Still some tweaks to get it happy, but feels like I'll be able to finish it tomorrow.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Alrighty! Server move has been completed. It will take some time for the DNS updates to get to everybody, but there's not much I can do on this end to speed that up; it's just how the internet works. As far as I can tell, everything is functional here, including the wiki, blog, arcade, etc. If you do see anything that isn't working as expected, please either post up here or shoot me a PM. I am sure that I missed a tweak or two along the way, so you have an issue posting large attachments, or you notice any other weird error messages, please let me know.

Also - it would be good to hear what people think about the responsiveness of this server. From the specs, we should get just about the same performance we had on the other one, before it started misbehaving.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I'm no expert, so I don't know if this is a DNS issue that will resolve itself, but I had a hard time getting logged in. I tried logging in, and when I tried one password (I have a couple that I use and I never remember which one I had used here) it redirected me to the old server (I guess?) and said wrong password, the other one gave me a bad redirect error.

I got logged in by trying to make a post without logging in, and then logging in on that screen, and it worked.

No idea what it is, just thought I'd let you know, just in case it is something that others are having an issue with, if it's something that needs to be taken care of.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It should fix itself once your DNS resolves ninjette.org correctly. Nothing to worry about.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Boof!

It works, it's fast, perfect.

Sleep time now.

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I think email notifications have stopped working for me.

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

ok - I thought I was getting them before, but I will play with it. I'm also not liking that redirect on the portal page. My dns has updated, but it did pop up for me once...

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - email notifications aren't working correctly. I'm on it...

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Hey Alex, dunno if this helps or not with the e-mail thing but it sounds related: http://serverfault.com/questions/295...only-127-0-0-1
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Thx, Yakaru. I'm not sure what the deal is yet, I have a question into vbulletin. I can't get it to connect to the local smtp server whether I use localhost or 127.0.0.1, they both fail. I'm not sure what the issue is, really. Here's the error:

Quote:
The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.
The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to tcp://127.0.0.1:25 (Permission denied) in [path]/includes/class_mail.php on line 641

Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in [path]/includes/class_mail.php on line 607
I can telnet to 127.0.0.1 port 25, and it answers just fine. From webmin, I can send email just fine, so the mailserver itself is functional. I'm at a bit of a loss...

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm not an admin-type-person, but I do write a lot of code so I'll toss some ideas out:

Any chance of getting a 'whoami' to make sure the script is running as a sane user?

Could you try writing a test.php script that is super simple, say

<?php fsockopen("127.0.0.1",25); ?>

and running it yourself in a terminal?

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm game. I have that script on the server. When I run it (php test.script), it finishes with no output. I then piped it to "temp.log" just to see if it did anything, but it didn't put anything else there either.

What should I add so I can see what's working or not working?

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #19
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Try this (yay Google!):

<?php
$fp = fsockopen("127.0.0.1", 25, $errno, $errstr, 30);
if (!$fp) {
echo "$errstr ($errno)<br />\n";
} else {
$out = "Connected to SMTP\r\n";
echo "$out"
fclose($fp);
}
?>

Basically this should try to open port 25, if it errors it outputs the error string and number, otherwise it says it connected and closes the connection. If this works then I'd say something is different between your account and whatever is running the scripts and the 'whoami' question becomes important.

Last futzed with by Yakaru; February 25th, 2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: I can write script I promise

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - i have that script on the server. When i run it from a shell

# php test2.php

nothing happens. If I go to it from a web browser, it says server error. (not the error code from the connection, but an overall server error). You can go to ninjette.org/test2.php to see what I mean.

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #21
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Let me ping a friend who knows this stuff better than me :P Bear with me Alex, sorry.

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Not at all! I appreciate the help. I'm not sure what the next steps are. I can always move back to the other server next weekend, and then try and rebuild again, but this seems like such a silly (and hopefully fixable) problem.

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #23
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
yay syntax error -- add a semi after echo "$out"

e.g.

<?php
$fp = fsockopen("127.0.0.1", 25, $errno, $errstr, 30);
if (!$fp) {
echo "$errstr ($errno)<br />\n";
} else {
$out = "Connected to SMTP\r\n";
echo "$out";
fclose($fp);
}
?>

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - I think you're on to something When I run it from the command line, I get "connected to SMTP". So the connection is opening.

When I run it from a web browser, it gives that Permissions Denied (13) error.

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I just created a new user with no real permissions. When I su to them, and run the same script, it still gives me that "connected to smtp" message. I'm trying to find a user that will cause that to fail, and then we're probably closer to our answer.

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #26
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
<?php
echo exec('whoami');
?>

Put that into test2.php and see what it comes up with when you open it in the browser?

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - no surprises so far, I guess. On the command line, I'm root. On the web page, it's "apache". So Apache can't open the socket? Let me search on that...

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #28
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Ok, I see that page now prints 'apache' -- so it looks like apache is the user we're running as (which makes sense :P), so the question is why can't user apache get access to the mail server! Progress!

... Is apache a real user? My google-fu says no!

http://forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=2475 <-- look here?

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
More data:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/13PermissionDenied

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You rock!

This got us close enough to search on Apache PHP Postfix, which found me this thread.

Those two commands fixed the problem, and emails are now working. I now need to figure out how to make it stay working after a reboot, but all will be well shortly.

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #31
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Super glad to have helped Alex

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK, didn't survive the first reboot, but it's back up and running again. About to try second reboot.

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Alright - still didn't survive the 2nd reboot. But the only thing it needed was: "postfix start" , so I need to find a way to put that in a startup script somewhere.

Old February 25th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - I give up for now. Each time after reboot I'm having to restart Postfix manually.

I know that it was working fine initially today, but after a whole bunch of install/uninstall/install/uninstall loops of Postfix and Sendmail trying to troubleshoot the email problem, the scripts that are supposed to start it running normally aren't in place. I've tried to reinstall Postfix, but at this point it isn't replacing the scripts correctly.

This is where it's clear I'm an amateur at this, as what I'd like to do is start over, rebuild the server with this new information in mind, and then know that it has been clean all the way through. But it's probably more expedient for me to figure out somehow to get it to restart on its own. Putting it in rc.local was not good enough.

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
bug report:

server too fast. i'm finding myself viewing too many threads at work as a result. please add a few "speed-up loops"

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It's all about managing the speed-up loops.

I'm still getting that weird redirect error when I'm not logged in at all, and I log in first on the portal page. Not sure how or why it's any different, there must be a hardcoded IP in there somewhere to track down.

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - I think I fixed this by whitelisting the portal URL in the vb control panel. Someone please let me know here if they see that invalid redirect error anymore, as I can no longer reproduce it.

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Crap, I just saw the error again, back to the drawing board.

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #39
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Ha, I don't envy you Alex, I have been locked in our server room closet at work for a considerable time switching over networks, I have gained the nick name "the server troll". Flattering no? So I feel your pain!

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

This looks similar. Will play with .htaccess files when I get home.