ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 27th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Cgswss
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja

2005 trying to get carbs off

So I go on line and I find a shop manual. Only I’m confused because they show a bike with a 2 into 1 and my bike has a 2 into 2

They also show getting to air filter from the side, and the only way I can see is from the top. Now it has to be the “right” manual because it talks about servicing the carb, not EFI

So here is my problem. To remove the carbs, it says to remove the battery (got that) then remove the battery box so you can slide the air box back (and have room to get the carbs out). Only on my bike the battery box s molded in part of the air box! Nothing like the pics in the manual

So I assume I am not the only person in the world that has a one piece batterybox/air box... how the heck do I get the carbs off???
Cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

It is one piece. You need to detach the air box/battery box from the bike. Along with the rear inner fender deal and pull the airbox back as far as you can from the carbs and then detach the carbs from the motor and slide them out the side of the bike. the airbox is too big to come out without taking the rear wheel off it's a big pain in the butt, there is a mod you can do and hack the battery box off if you're so inclined... I don't know what manual you're looking at but there are a dozen YouTube videos of people filming themselves doing the removal if you need a better visual.
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #3
NinjaDog
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2001 250r

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removing_the_airbox

Read this. It helped me a lot.
NinjaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Cgswss
ninjette.org member

Thanks!

I have a feeling that later today MY airbox and battery box will be separated.

And hopefully not long after that my carbs will be cleaned and the bike will run right under 3500 rpm

Or it could end up on Craigslist for sale cheap (G)

I wonder if I could get a V-Max engine in that frame...

Old May 28th, 2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Cgswss
ninjette.org member

So I was looking around my garage and wh should I find... why sitting right there on the Wall is a Kawasaki 250 Ninja battery box removal tool! OK, I used to call it a “coping saw”, but none the less it took me a very short time to remove the battery box, and we had the carbs off 10 min after that.

I almost had an issue with a valveera float bowl screws, but just happened to have jap bike screw removal tool in my box. AKA, a hammer driver. I bent up two small blades screwdrivers before I got the low speed jets loose, but got them out. A little soak, and some poking with an “E” string, and all is good.

Bike went back together fine, now starts easy, and when warm will idle just fine. No more stalling when you drop below about 3500 rpm. It may be in my head, it it seems to pull better with less “cammyness”.

So I’m happy

Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM   #6
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgswss View Post
So I was looking around my garage and wh should I find... why sitting right there on the Wall is a Kawasaki 250 Ninja battery box removal tool! OK, I used to call it a “coping saw”, but none the less it took me a very short time to remove the battery box, and we had the carbs off 10 min after that.

I almost had an issue with a valveera float bowl screws, but just happened to have jap bike screw removal tool in my box. AKA, a hammer driver. I bent up two small blades screwdrivers before I got the low speed jets loose, but got them out. A little soak, and some poking with an “E” string, and all is good.

Bike went back together fine, now starts easy, and when warm will idle just fine. No more stalling when you drop below about 3500 rpm. It may be in my head, it it seems to pull better with less “cammyness”.

So I’m happy

Thanks!
Awesome that you got your bike running better now, nothing like learning both riding and mechanics on these guys! I recommend that you go to this site though:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Do LOTS of reading, and you will do well. I would, if I may, advise against using guitar strings for jet floss, use soft, stranded wire for that, for anything with more tensile strength will easily damage your jets.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Cgswss
ninjette.org member

Main reason on using the e string was I needed something to poke thru a blockage. Would not blow out with air, or carb cleaner. Did not clear after 20 min in the ultrasonic washer. Once I finally got a hole poked all the way threw the high pressure from the carb cleaned could blow the rest out.

Thanks for the link!

Old May 29th, 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgswss View Post
Main reason on using the e string was I needed something to poke thru a blockage. Would not blow out with air, or carb cleaner. Did not clear after 20 min in the ultrasonic washer. Once I finally got a hole poked all the way threw the high pressure from the carb cleaned could blow the rest out.

Thanks for the link!
Aha, I see. I was way behind in the process. I sure wish I had one of those ultrasonic washers...they are really nice. But for a bike that has 5 year old ethanol just varnishing away...a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Have you since had to take the carbs back out? The first one I worked on I had to do twice, because it had been sitting for a while, and I likely did not do a very good job.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If you sliced wall between battery-box and air-box in half, you can also use lag-screws to fasten them back together so box has support at back and won't wiggle carbs.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #10
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If you sliced wall between battery-box and air-box in half, you can also use lag-screws to fasten them back together so box has support at back and won't wiggle carbs.
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote