Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #41
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR1914 View Post
Well I went ahead and returned it..... Got my money back, thank goodness! On to the hunt!
you loaded it in a truck i take it? what did the guy say? did you show him the problem you were having with it?
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #42
LR1914
ninjette.org member

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
you loaded it in a truck i take it? what did the guy say? did you show him the problem you were having with it?
No. After more of the same, I decided to just let it warm up for a half hour with full choke on. Then I rode it the 20 miles back to the guy's house with full choke the whole way.

I felt bad, but I also didn't like the fact it had cracked fairings. He didn't mind though.

He said that it has been sitting in the garage for a year and a half so maybe it had gotten gunked up.
LR1914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #43
BIGREDIOWAN
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
I've got a 2011 I'm trying to sell. Its got 26,000 miles though!
So, give it a shot on internet somewhere and see what happens. Any mods, is it wrecked?
BIGREDIOWAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #44
LR1914
ninjette.org member

I went with the MSF course instructor after all.

Behold! My new, custom painted 2008 Ninja!

New (blue) chain, new battery, new wheel stripes, new fairing on one side, new black ice pearl paint that makes it glimmer in the sun, new decals, and smoke screen.

And it runs perfectly except.....

When I turn it on and ride, the speedometer and odometer don't work. The first time, it worked fine after a minute or two. The second time was too short a ride and it stayed dead. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (139.6 KB, 9 views)

Old June 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #45
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR1914 View Post
I went with the MSF course instructor after all.

Behold! My new, custom painted 2008 Ninja!

New (blue) chain, new battery, new wheel stripes, new fairing on one side, new black ice pearl paint that makes it glimmer in the sun, new decals, and smoke screen.

And it runs perfectly except.....

When I turn it on and ride, the speedometer and odometer don't work. The first time, it worked fine after a minute or two. The second time was too short a ride and it stayed dead. Any suggestions?

Looks nice man. Same thing happened with my ninja about a week after I bought it. In my situation it was obvious what happened. I had gotten home and noticed the speedometer cable was dragging on the ground. It's simple to fix. On the pregen you'll have to remove the fairing to get behind the gauge cluster. Once there the cable literally just screws back in. I put a little blue loctite on it and it's been good for the past 7kmiles.

Not saying yours is dragging on the ground, but it's probably loose.. and will be dragging on the ground soon if you don't take the fairing off to check it out.

Don't feel like you're having bad luck. I've realized these bikes require love and frequent maintenance to stay it good running condition. Don't be worried, just be prepared to either be working on your bike, or spending a lot of money at the shop if you don't wanna get dirty. I suggest the first option

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Reattac...e_%26_retainer
that's for the pre gen. I'm guessing the new gens are very similar.

PS- I like that black/blue better than the white L.E

Old June 20th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #46
LR1914
ninjette.org member

Thanks.

It's actually a 2008. I did notice that the cable was disconnected completely... It was easy to screw back in.

The odometer works now, but speedo is still dead. I don't see any other cables hanging off....

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #47
az3200
ninjette.org member

found this. read the second page, makes sense but I really don't know since they both run off of the same cable. did you try tapping the speedometer? lol

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...t-working.html

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:19 AM   #48
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

I've got a speedo gauge and assembly i can sell if you find out yours is faulty.

Old June 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM   #49
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post

Don't feel like you're having bad luck. I've realized these bikes require love and frequent maintenance to stay it good running condition. Don't be worried, just be prepared to either be working on your bike, or spending a lot of money at the shop if you don't wanna get dirty. I suggest the first option
I find that mine requires not very much maintence other than changing the oil..It always works great!!!>>>>>Nock on wood!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM   #50
az3200
ninjette.org member

I suppose I should have worded that differently. Mine always works good too, but i guess there are a lot of factors. How you ride, condition of bike, age, how well it was maintained etc. I put a LOT of miles on my bike, so I feel like i'm constantly doing something to it...not that I mind because I enjoy it. But there are things that should/need to be serviced much more often and frequently than a car.