ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

Tips for fast acceleration from a stop on ninja 250?

Howdie!

I have been riding for 2 months, still a beginner but I need some tips on how to accelerate faster on the ninja 250, I got smoked from a stop by lot of SUVs and sometimes even those huge pick up trucks. Being on a bike, I don't like the fact that I got tailgated as soon as the light turn green.
What I do is ride the first gear to 10k rpm instantly then click to 2nd, ride to 9 or 10k then click to 3rd, and repeat the process. still not fast enough or am i doing something wrong?
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

More throttle. Possibly you're slipping the clutch too much.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1dayn1ght View Post
......... still not fast enough or am i doing something wrong?
Are these guys faster than you?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...s+choneofakind
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Sounds like you're slipping the clutch too much. Rev to probably about 9k on the 250 and let it out fast enough that the rpms don't go down too much but you're not slipping too much either. Basically you want to find the best balance of clutch slip and acceleration without bogging the engine down. I don't think taking off at 3-4k then going WOT lwould produce very good results on a 250 with it's lack of torque, but on a larger bike you could get away with doing that since you don't need to be the quickest.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
You don't have to have the RPM's all that high to get off the line faster then most cars. I believe I engage my clutch around 3-4K and just get the clutch fully released a quickly as possible.

The key to good starts is in the clutch but not in the way most people think. You shouldn't focused on getting it to slip just right, instead you should be focused on slipping it as little as possible because that's how your going to get max power to the ground.

I like to think I know a thing or two about starting
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

maybe you shouldnt be thinking about this at this time since you've only been riding for two months, I think you should leave that for later. seems to me that you are trying to move forward a little too quick.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:55 AM   #7
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
maybe you shouldnt be thinking about this at this time since you've only been riding for two months, I think you should leave that for later. seems to me that you are trying to move forward a little too quick.
^This^
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I like to think I know a thing or two about starting
Can confirm.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Forget 1st gear!

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:49 AM   #10
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
They are definitely faster...someone even popped a little wheelie OMG ...
When I go up to 10k the bike scream too much, it sounded bad for the engine so I shift, but people is revving to redline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Sounds like you're slipping the clutch too much.
So to go fast I shouldn't pull the clutch lever all the way in when I shift? I thought I was supposed to do that everytime I shift gear. Someone shift without even using the clutch at all, is that okay for the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
I want to keep learning new things If I keep doing it wrong then that might become a habit...plus I don't think straight line acceleration is that much of a deal, now something like wheelie or stoppie...that I definitely wont try till later

Thanks guys!

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
how to race start:

1) put your chest on the top of the gas tank, as far up as you can fit well, put ALL of your weight on your chest. if you dont do this you will loop your bike.

2) rev to 10.5krpm

3) simultaneously drop the clutch and go WOT. you'll jump to where you need to shift to second pretty quicly so you'll need to pay attention and not get distracted by wheelies/tire spin/whatever and actually shift on time. remember not to hit anyone.

with that said, don't do that.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Corona
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I want to keep learning new things If I keep doing it wrong then that might become a habit...plus I don't think straight line acceleration is that much of a deal, now something like wheelie or stoppie...that I definitely wont try till later
a wheelie or stoppie til later? when? when you've been riding for four/five months?
as a rider who's been riding for 13 months or so and still consider my self to be new... just relax and enjoy the riding for a few months. you could be taking off from a stop sign or light and get hit because you were not paying attention to the cars on the side who are supossed to be stopped and one decided to run the light or sign.
I've had this happen at least twice and was able to stop because I was paying attention to my sides as I take off and also not doing it as fast as the bike can.

you will be learning new things, every day you wil. believe me. you will learn more and more about your bike every day. remember you learned to walk one step at a time.

and honestly I don't want to think about what you are going to do when you decide to put a female on your bike and ride 2up.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #13
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

No I meant wayyyy later
I do value my life/skin, I wear full motorcycle gear (helmet jacket pants gloves and boots) I might look like an idiot on a 250 with full gear in this summer weather but I still do it anyway.
I just want to accelerate faster than cars so I dont get tailgated and have a little fun sometimes when the road ahead is straight and empty
I appreciate your concerns though

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Corona
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No I meant wayyyy later
I do value my life/skin, I wear full motorcycle gear (helmet jacket pants gloves and boots) I might look like an idiot on a 250 with full gear in this summer weather but I still do it anyway.
I just want to accelerate faster than cars so I dont get tailgated and have a little fun sometimes when the road ahead is straight and empty
I appreciate your concerns though
cool, really be careful on those sides though and also remember that cops be hiding sometimes haha. just wear the gear no matter the weather, is your body/life.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Just rode the bike out to go grab some pizza and figured I'd film a proper causal start that will have you ahead several cars length of all but the heaviest lead foot drivers who literally are trying to race you. This is basically what I was describing in post #5

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

You should always be able to pull faster then most cars. I always have a good 3 car lengths or more when i launch in front of them and look back. Unless the people are all trying to race you haha

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Then after you master holeshoting soccer mom's in minivans you can move onto schooling your super sport buddies with that same technique but at 13,000 rpms.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I shift instantly from 1st gear and then between 7k and 9k for the others and pull away fast enough for the most part

I'm gonna go with what the others are saying and think it more has to do with you being a new rider not in tune with a bike than it does a problem.

Ride around some, try some different techniques in safe areas. I rode like a grandma (still do sometimes) for months when I started. You'll learn your bike.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM   #19
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Rojoracing explained it better than I did lol. I'd like to think I can get a decent launch on my bikes but there are people here way more qualified than me to speak on such matters and a few of them are already in this thread.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #20
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
I shift instantly from 1st gear and then between 7k and 9k for the others and pull away fast enough for the most part

I'm gonna go with what the others are saying and think it more has to do with you being a new rider not in tune with a bike than it does a problem.

Ride around some, try some different techniques in safe areas. I rode like a grandma (still do sometimes) for months when I started. You'll learn your bike.
Shifting so quickly from 1st to 2nd will get you a slow start. That's why you pull away fast enough for the most part instead of pulling away quickly all the time.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
So to go fast I shouldn't pull the clutch lever all the way in when I shift? I thought I was supposed to do that everytime I shift gear. Someone shift without even using the clutch at all, is that okay for the bike?

Up it's not much of a problem, it can be quite smooth. down is a little trickier & can do damage if not done correctly.

Give it a try, get it up above 8k RPM, slight bit of pressure on the shift lever, quick dip off the throttle & back on (a couple of mm off, not full way)

You can do it at slightly lower RPM, but you don't want to drop below ~6k, the bike will bog down if you do.

Pick somewhere with a bit of space & not too busy to practise it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......I just want to accelerate faster than cars so I dont get tailgated and have a little fun sometimes when the road ahead is straight and empty
Practice what Jason has showed in post #15 one hundred times; try to be as smooth and quick.

If your bike is still slow after that, then, it just has lower power than normal.
The reasons can be many: valves, brakes, carburetor, oil, compression, detonation, etc.

There are crazy drivers who are better to have in front than behind you, especially the fast ones and tailgaters.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Shifting so quickly from 1st to 2nd will get you a slow start. That's why you pull away fast enough for the most part instead of pulling away quickly all the time.
By "instantly" I mean once I'm already up in that area. I just twist hard and go, and since I know my bike pretty well I do it by sound. I don't like to stare at my gauges when coming off a line. Not with red-light runners abound.

I pull away quickly all the time, but some cars and most other bikes are able to do it faster. Around here everyone has something to prove.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM   #24
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Practice what Jason has showed in post #15 one hundred times; try to be as smooth and quick.

If your bike is still slow after that, then, it just has lower power than normal.
The reasons can be many: valves, brakes, carburetor, oil, compression, detonation, etc.

There are crazy drivers who are better to have in front than behind you, especially the fast ones and tailgaters.
That could be my problem, still cant shift smoothly...When I shift it didnt sound as nice as Jason did it, time to practice!

Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
That could be my problem, still cant shift smoothly...When I shift it didnt sound as nice as Jason did it, time to practice!
Oh and in the street I almost always use the clutch for both up and down shifts. I just figured I state that before someone assume my shifts are smooth because I don't use it. My method of shifting could be considered a hybrid of the two methods, honestly I just think I do it because I'm lazy

Your still learning right now so don't sweat it. Once you've riding longer shifting will be like breathing, and I'm sure you don't have to focus to breath smoothly

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:53 PM   #26
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

If you dont do a wheelie while launching at 10k, you're probably releasing the clutch too slowly.

Normally i take off at lights at around 6k and keep enough throttle that it does not dip below 4k. Never had any trouble going from 0-45mph this way.

If you need to accelerate to 60 faster, shift at 8k.