ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm the reason for this thread.
Well that just makes you special enough to ride the short bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
Because I don't have a car, just my 250. To be honest, after 20k miles It's starting to become a pain in the ass.
Oh, that sucks. I'm glad I don't feel that way. I choose 2 wheels any time over my car, but I can imagine if it's your only vehicle, there are times when a cage would be more appealing.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #42
willi777
ninjette.org member

Name: Willie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 500, VFR750

No doubt, riding because you have no choice is not as desireable as riding just for the fun of it. I rode all year round one year- in NY it was horrible in the winter. As to why- because of the sense of freedom, the feeling of connectedness to the machine, the seemingly joining of man and motorcycle- unbeatable!
willi777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #43
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Quote:
Because I don't have a car, just my 250. To be honest, after 20k miles It's starting to become a pain in the ass.
I'm in the same boat. 10k miles this past year but I still love it. Even if I had a car/truck I think I would still continue to ride everyday excluding rain. Rain and cold weather really isnt so bad for my commute..It's just a pain throwing extra gear on to stay warm and dry. I personally have come to dislike riding in a car...not comfortable at all.

Old December 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #44
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I like it
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:00 AM   #45
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
I'm severely depressed, and there aren't many things that let my mind truly break free of the bullshit it constantly inflicts on itself. Riding gives me more freedom and peace of mind than anything else I've ever done. It lets me relax enough to enjoy the moment - enough to be excited about enjoying the moment. It's always the high point of my day, and as soon as I get EMSRacer07's engine in my bike, I'll be racking up the miles like my life depends on it again.
Depression distracts you from the present real life by mercilessly dragging your thoughts into the past and the future.

As a powerful survival mechanism, motorcycling forces your mind to focus in the current second.
And that is the way in which a healthy happy mind should operate, because life is happening now.

Copied from
http://www.luminationnetwork.com/201...-into-therapy/

"It’s my disconnect with all the stress in life..........When I’m riding—and I think it’s true of a lot of people—you have to pay so much attention to what you’re doing, that whatever else is on your mind needs to be tucked away somewhere. It’s like therapy, and I think other people would say that...........It’s a way of kind of clearing everything out and being in the moment."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #46
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
A recent thread has brought up a question in my mind. We all have different reasons for riding. What reasons make the risk worthwhile to you?

To me, riding is...
an escape...
a release...
an exercise in focus...
a new level of trust in yourself...
a new level of belief in yourself...
a worthwhile risk...
a passion...
an exhilarating freedom...
a high like no other...

Riding is...
breathtaking
adventure making
memory creating
mind clearing
love deepening
life changing
Very good post and question, Allyson !!!

In my case, I never had a reason for starting riding.
As far back as I can remember, I was a passenger in a motorcycle of a member of my family or circle of friends.
The bonds developed that way are like no other.

"What reasons make the risk worthwhile to you?"
Nobody questioned me that back then or when I started piloting these machines myself, it was just something natural as risk was an acceptable part of life.

The older I become the more people step in my way asking that question implying that something is wrong with me and that I should drive a car, like every responsible and balanced old person should.
Many people are convinced that if you ride a motorcycle, you need therapy, and that if a crazy old guy doesn't ride a trike or a sidecar, he needs even more therapy.
Although I know that the time to let go will arrive, for me not riding is more painful than old age itself.

Somehow, those well intentioned persons have learned that life must be lived in a safe manner, even if sacrificing the joy of living is needed.
I am the weird guy who has learned that thriving is about facing fear head on; not being stupid about fear, but refusing to let fear rule his live.
...... and I am perfectly happy being perceived as weird and being inspired by riding everyday.

"We must learn to live by inspiration. That means that we should let the spiritual depths of our being flow through our conversation and into our acts. Living by inspiration does not mean living chaotically. Our whole purpose is to make the intellect an instrument for Spirit…...To live by inspiration means to sense the divine touch in everything; to enter into the spirit of things; to enter into the joy of living." - Ernest Holmes

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM   #47
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I am the weird guy who has learned that thriving is about facing fear head on; not being stupid about fear, but refusing to let fear rule his live.
...... and I am perfectly happy being perceived as weird and being inspired by riding everyday.

"We must learn to live by inspiration. That means that we should let the spiritual depths of our being flow through our conversation and into our acts. Living by inspiration does not mean living chaotically. Our whole purpose is to make the intellect an instrument for Spirit…...To live by inspiration means to sense the divine touch in everything; to enter into the spirit of things; to enter into the joy of living." - Ernest Holmes
I knew I loved you for a reason!
Great response as always. Now for the question you can totally ignore if you wish, how old are you Hernan? I hope I can ride well past retirement age!

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM   #48
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:

Oh, that sucks. I'm glad I don't feel that way. I choose 2 wheels any time over my car, but I can imagine if it's your only vehicle, there are times when a cage would be more appealing.
I still like motorcycles and riding... It's just a huge pain and a procedure every time I go out. Gather all the crap, put it all on.. Get some place and take it all off.. Find somewhere to put it or have to carry it. Always being stressed about whether it's going to rain or not. No cargo space. The cold. The wind. Long commutes. Heavy fla rain. It gets old.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #49
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Great response as always. Now for the question you can totally ignore if you wish, how old are you Hernan? I hope I can ride well past retirement age!
@Motofool or answer that in an IM to her
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 11:12 AM   #50
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thank you much, Allyson.

In January, I will become 64.

I also hope so, but my eyes are quitting on me very quickly

Just last week a client, who didn't know I rode until I showed up and removed my helmet showing may grey hair, asked me very madly: "Aren't you old enough to know that motorcycles are very dangerous?"
To which I answered: "I ride since I was 12, Sir."

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:16 AM   #51
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Just last week a client, who didn't know I rode until I showed up and removed my helmet showing may grey hair, asked me very madly: "Aren't you old enough to know that motorcycles are very dangerous?"
To which I answered: "I ride since I was 12, Sir."

Nice! "I'm old enough to know how to ride em, bitch, and I'm living to tell the stories!"

Old December 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #52
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
You might need a new seat.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:43 PM   #53
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Because it puts me on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:46 PM   #54
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Because it puts me on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell.
I'll be right there on that righteous side with ya!

Old January 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM   #55
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Why do I ride?

- Freedom from everyday life;
- Because it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on;
- Because I've always wanted to and, at 42, I was given a second chance at life and I'm making the most of it;
- Because life is too short to not enjoy it;
- And possibly the biggest one - because some idiot told me a middle-aged woman shouldn't be riding a sportbike.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote