ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #41
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Not me. First time i ever hopped on a motorcycle was on my friends pregen. i took it to red then realized its prob not a good idea to keep doing that until i learn how to properly maneuver the bike (turns, stopping techniques, etc). 4 years later i took the MSF and bought my own bike. WOT

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #42
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wasn't scared as much as careful to test how much more "go" the bike would give. Pretty sure the first time I went WOT i was only at maybe 4k rpms doing like 40mph in 5th or 6th gear so I wasn't in the powerband and was just like, nothing is happening, rather, something is happening veryyy slowly :P

Once I realized that you gotta get the thing up to like 8k for the fun to get started that's when things got a little scary, but not in a way that made me want to stop. More so made me want to find a straight empty road Then it started to somewhat feel like my genesis, minus the suite of safety equipment to keep me alive.

May also have been that 2 years prior to this I bought an old 89' KX250 dirt bike and that 2 stroke engine was so torquey and frightening that I was afraid to ride the thing. Not the best dirtbike to start on but I managed to figure it out without falling or driving into a tree so that was good.

I will say however when I'm up there in the powerband and I crank it open it still brings a smile to my face
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #43
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiLionheart View Post
Wasn't scared as much as careful to test how much more "go" the bike would give. Pretty sure the first time I went WOT i was only at maybe 4k rpms doing like 40mph in 5th or 6th gear so I wasn't in the powerband and was just like, nothing is happening, rather, something is happening veryyy slowly :P

Once I realized that you gotta get the thing up to like 8k for the fun to get started that's when things got a little scary, but not in a way that made me want to stop. More so made me want to find a straight empty road Then it started to somewhat feel like my genesis, minus the suite of safety equipment to keep me alive.

May also have been that 2 years prior to this I bought an old 89' KX250 dirt bike and that 2 stroke engine was so torquey and frightening that I was afraid to ride the thing. Not the best dirtbike to start on but I managed to figure it out without falling or driving into a tree so that was good.

I will say however when I'm up there in the powerband and I crank it open it still brings a smile to my face
do you have a genesis or a genesis coupe?
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #44
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

Back in 2010, when i first had the 250, 13 miles of open road to work every morning at 5:30am, no other traffic, no cops, 95 mph every single day...better than coffee.
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #45
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
Back in 2010, when i first had the 250, 13 miles of open road to work every morning at 5:30am, no other traffic, no cops, 95 mph every single day...better than coffee.
i got lulled into that false sense of security..all back roads in the middle of nowhere, fine for a few weeks, than bam!! failure to obey traffic control..damn!!

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #46
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
do you have a genesis or a genesis coupe?
2010 3.8 Genesis Coupe w/ track package

My other baby

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #47
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
2010 3.8 Genesis Coupe w/ track package

My other baby
oh wow nice!! If I had gotten my full-time job a little bit earlier, I would have bought the 3.8. I just got the 2011 base 2.0T. Not bad for what I use it for, but now it feels god awfully slow and crappy compared to my new bike lol

Do you drive yours in the snow? I've still got stock tires on mine, it's terrible!!

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #48
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Do you drive yours in the snow? I've still got stock tires on mine, it's terrible!!
I do I have a set of bridgestone blizzaks that I use and they've gotten me through nearly all of the winter storms we've had on long island so far. Not to mention it's just so much fun to play in the snow with RWD

You may hate me for saying so, but after 65,000 miles with this car, I feel like it's too slow now too :P Good news for you is you can get some really great gains in torque/HP without investing tooooo much money into your car. The 3.8 on the other hand isn't keen on upgrades other than intake/exhaust which don't net much more power in the end.

Additionally, I somewhat wish I had went with a 2.0t as I'm still paying mine off and I want to be saving up more to move out and get my own place, which is difficult to do with a big monthly car payment.

But you made the right choice going with any genesis. It's such a sexy car and a nice change up from the endless mustang/camaro spree you tend to see. Good luck with it and enjoy

But alas, this is turning into a thread better suited for gencoupe.com :P

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #49
Dozer
ninjette.org member

"false sense of security"

Quote:
i got lulled into that false sense of security..all back roads in the middle of nowhere, fine for a few weeks, than bam!! failure to obey traffic control..damn!!
Exactly, didn't become cautious til i saw a deer jump into the road maybe 1/8 mile away.
Then i thought, "Oh that could happen...."
i was such a squid.

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #50
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
...but now it feels god awfully slow and crappy compared to my new bike...
Based on your bike list I'm assuming you're talking about your zx6r? That'll smoke my genny no problem haha. That will make most production cars sub 50 grand feel slow.

Didn't realize that's what you're riding. Now I'm envious of you!

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #51
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
I do I have a set of bridgestone blizzaks that I use and they've gotten me through nearly all of the winter storms we've had on long island so far. Not to mention it's just so much fun to play in the snow with RWD

You may hate me for saying so, but after 65,000 miles with this car, I feel like it's too slow now too :P Good news for you is you can get some really great gains in torque/HP without investing tooooo much money into your car. The 3.8 on the other hand isn't keen on upgrades other than intake/exhaust which don't net much more power in the end.

Additionally, I somewhat wish I had went with a 2.0t as I'm still paying mine off and I want to be saving up more to move out and get my own place, which is difficult to do with a big monthly car payment.

But you made the right choice going with any genesis. It's such a sexy car and a nice change up from the endless mustang/camaro spree you tend to see. Good luck with it and enjoy

But alas, this is turning into a thread better suited for gencoupe.com :P
lol na, i'm bored of cars now, wish i had a honda civic or something that gave better gas mileage! yeah i was on gencoupe but i just got bored of it, didn't seem as tight knit a group as this forum. everyone here is friendly, and i've met quite a few new friends through this!

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #52
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Based on your bike list I'm assuming you're talking about your zx6r? That'll smoke my genny no problem haha. That will make most production cars sub 50 grand feel slow.

Didn't realize that's what you're riding. Now I'm envious of you!
haha yeah, yesterday i hopped of it and straight into the gen and i was like wth im not going anywhere! lol!! im being very very careful with the 6R though, it seems like it's way too easy to get into a lot of trouble, really really fast. only have 35 miles on the clock so far

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #53
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Exactly, didn't become cautious til i saw a deer jump into the road maybe 1/8 mile away.
Then i thought, "Oh that could happen...."
i was such a squid.
Living in the pine barrens of long island I see those dumb bastards all the time. Luckily they've yet to jump out in front of me while riding. Still much more nerve wracking to see them when on 2 wheels than in 4.

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #54
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
lol na, i'm bored of cars now, wish i had a honda civic or something that gave better gas mileage! yeah i was on gencoupe but i just got bored of it, didn't seem as tight knit a group as this forum. everyone here is friendly, and i've met quite a few new friends through this!
Same here. I haven't been on gencoupe in months. I think one of the main reasons I spend so much time on here is just because it's not quite warm enough yet to ride and I'm itching so badly to do so, haha.

Everyone on here does seem to be very helpful and friendly. Not nearly enough posters that live on long island though! Need to start recruiting :P

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #55
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
haha yeah, yesterday i hopped of it and straight into the gen and i was like wth im not going anywhere! lol!! im being very very careful with the 6R though, it seems like it's way too easy to get into a lot of trouble, really really fast. only have 35 miles on the clock so far
How are you adjusting to the sport riding style? I'm considering the zx6r as my next bike but I'm just not sure about the riding position. I love the looks of the thing though.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #56
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Bike transition

Quote:
How are you adjusting to the sport riding style? I'm considering the zx6r as my next bike but I'm just not sure about the riding position. I love the looks of the thing though.
I just had that transition as well, upgrading to a zx-6r(2012 model) last Oct. I figured after 8k miles/2 years on my 250r, I'm due for an upgrade. After 4 months on the zx-6r, I have not been WOT on it, been pulled over already and have had a few close calls.

I realized that it's true what they say... "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than ride a fast bike slow."

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #57
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just had that transition as well, upgrading to a zx-6r(2012 model) last Oct. I figured after 8k miles/2 years on my 250r, I'm due for an upgrade. After 4 months on the zx-6r, I have not been WOT on it, been pulled over already and have had a few close calls.

I realized that it's true what they say... "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than ride a fast bike slow."
Hmm that's a good perspective that I wouldn't have though of. Sucks that you got pulled over. How fast were you going, did you get a ticket or did the cop let you off? Also what kind of close calls have you gotten into?

And I guess that's partially good about not having been able to go WOT yet, it is a bike that is ultimately designed to dominate on a track so you gotta figure you wont ever be able to push it to it's limits on the street. I think it would help you keep a certain level of respect for the bike, make it feel a little sexier to ya as well you know? Like a girl that has a wild side that you know just how to unleash, but only if you're feeling wild enough yourself to unleash her.

Then again, it could feel like a large chunk of money spent on something you can only really use at 75% of it's max.

Did it feel strange moving to the different body positioning from the 250? Did it take long to adjust?

Sorry for all the questions, just want some more info since I'm so interested in the bike myself.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #58
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Having rode various scooters and bikes before all 50cc or 125cc and keeping my ninja to spec break in more or less, i've never been afraid to open her up.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #59
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Uh NO
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #60
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Hmm that's a good perspective that I wouldn't have though of. Sucks that you got pulled over. How fast were you going, did you get a ticket or did the cop let you off? Also what kind of close calls have you gotten into?

And I guess that's partially good about not having been able to go WOT yet, it is a bike that is ultimately designed to dominate on a track so you gotta figure you wont ever be able to push it to it's limits on the street. I think it would help you keep a certain level of respect for the bike, make it feel a little sexier to ya as well you know? Like a girl that has a wild side that you know just how to unleash, but only if you're feeling wild enough yourself to unleash her.

Then again, it could feel like a large chunk of money spent on something you can only really use at 75% of it's max.

Did it feel strange moving to the different body positioning from the 250? Did it take long to adjust?

Sorry for all the questions, just want some more info since I'm so interested in the bike myself.
Check out my blog I'm trying to capture as much as possible. But for here, I'll say the switch to the riding position wasn't terrible..definitely more hunched over, but as a very short rider, it's comfortable for me, I fit very well on it. The sensation of going around corners all forward though is a little weird, but it's also easier to shift your entire body around on the bike. Time will tell how much I like it, I rode 7500 miles last year, and I hope to ride about 12,000+ this year.

As for the cost, the actual cost of the bike wasn't much more since I got a steal on it (3k under MSRP). The insurance for me, full coverage is about 1000. But I used to waste so much money at bars and restaurants that I'm like whatever, I've wanted this for so long that I'm fine paying for it. The maintenance will also be pretty steep, I figure tires every 4-5k miles, might switch to some type of dual compounds to last for 6-8k miles.

As for as the slow bike fast/fast bike slow thing, I'm a conservative rider, I don't push it on the streets, I just like to explore, go at my own pace, and check out cool scenery, so I don't mind riding it slow so far. Yeah it's not meant for touring and such, but I like it, it's what I wanted, and it's what I'll use it for. I actually enjoy not having to switch gears so much, my hand would get so tired on long rides. Now I usually ride in just 2nd or 3rd gear mostly. I do like how it was easy to move my brake lever closer (small hands), but on the flipside, the clutch is very heavy and my hand gets so tired holding it at lights. I gotta get stronger lol Sorry for writing so much!

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #61
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Track vs. Street

Quote:

Yeah i'm looking into riding the zx-6r exclusively in a track. That's what it's built for and that's really what I got it for.

The thing is, when I'm riding I seldom look at the speedometer, I look at the pace of traffic or find a comfortable cruising speed. The comfortable cruising speed on the 250r is usually 60-70mph. On the other hand, the zx-6r starts to get comfy at around 85mph, the unwanted vibration goes away along with the wind buffeting, the torque sets in and with that, a mm of adjustment on the throttle makes a big difference.

When I got pulled over, the police officer told me that he clocked me going 80 on a 55. He let me go, since he saw cars passing me at that speed, I guess he clocked someone at 80mph looked up and saw my shiny red Ninja.

Fortunately for me, I still have my ninjette, it is still my commuter bike. Everytime I ride the ninjette, it reminds me how much power the zx-6r has, and basically teaches me to respect it.

Close calls: riding in Va in winter-time, there's a lot of sand on the road, these few weeks, there's been days where it's 60 degree weather and all that sand is in the emergency pull-off. So cutting that apex in an intersection... Not a good idea. i'm still a squid.

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #62
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

No. But on the r6 it's still sketchy at times.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #63
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
No. But on the r6 it's still sketchy at times.
wuss.

P.S. I had a bad ass R6 previously....sadly just like rojoracing.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Remember when you were too scared to go wot on a 1300 even though it has wheelie control?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #65
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Never scared to open it up. This is my first street bike I've owned but I've previously spent some time on a friends gixxer 1k so there really were no surprises on the ninjette...aside from the garbage stock dunlop tires. I've raced Mx and Offroad for years and I had a Honda CR 500 that had 60 hp and topped out at nearly 100mph. My last Off-Road Race Bike was a Two stroke 250 that had 45 hp and it accelerated faster than my ninjette....I guess I'm just de-sensitized but I still have fun on her, especially in the twisties.
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #66
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

What has gotten me scared lately is finding out what a tank slapper is and watching the vids on youtube...

Saw one guy get it doin' about 143 mph... Yeah. Definitely do not want to experience that, not that it'll happen on the 2 fiddy at those speeds but just saying...

Is the 250 prone to experiencing a tank slapper?

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
No, it's rake isn't very aggressive so tank slippers aren't common
AFM #676

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #68
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Well that's certainly good to know.

Old March 6th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #69
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
wuss.

P.S. I had a bad ass R6 previously....sadly just like rojoracing.
what happened?

hey you try wot on the bumps of streets of willow

although gotta give huge props to dave moss. after he tuned my suspension it's wayyyyyy less scary.

PS : no steering damper here

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #70
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Remember when you were too scared to go wot on a 1300 even though it has wheelie control?
wheelie doesn't scare me going wot. rear slide into highside does
then again if you're talking just wot on a straight. no bike i've been on has been that scary. certainly not the 250!

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #71
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
What has gotten me scared lately is finding out what a tank slapper is and watching the vids on youtube...

Saw one guy get it doin' about 143 mph... Yeah. Definitely do not want to experience that, not that it'll happen on the 2 fiddy at those speeds but just saying...

Is the 250 prone to experiencing a tank slapper?
Headshake or tankslspper is due to Rake angle and Weight up front. If you go 60+on a ninjette and let go of the handlebars you will get headshake..I know this for a fact (Dont ask..lol) The engine braking causes weight to transfer to the front of the bike thus compressing the suspension and increasing rake angle then you get headshake. The heavier the sport bike is and more aggressive the rake is the more prone it is to headshake. I've had Motocross bikes that had chronic headshake issues and suspension setup and steering stabilizer are critical, Body positioning can be a cause as well but mostly on off-road bikes. Ninjettes are very stable unless you take your hands off while decelerating!

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
wheelie doesn't scare me going wot. rear slide into highside does
then again if you're talking just wot on a straight. no bike i've been on has been that scary. certainly not the 250!
The guy that sold it to me told me the only time he was ever able to go wot was at big willow
AFM #676

Old March 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #73
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The guy that sold it to me told me the only time he was ever able to go wot was at big willow
on any displacement bike, if good lap time is your goal, you have to be WOT any time your bike has 0 to little lean.

Old March 6th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #74
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
you have to be WOT any time your bike has 0 to little lean.
Have you seen Sean's track videos? I don't think 'good lap time' is anywhere in his vocabulary

I kid Sean, I kid. Ride your own pace.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #75
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I don't think I did that bad once I'd learned the track
AFM #676

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #76
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Have you seen Sean's track videos? I don't think 'good lap time' is anywhere in his vocabulary

I kid Sean, I kid. Ride your own pace.
true.. he even makes me look like a badass...

kidding aside, wot every where you must/can is very easy to forget sometimes.

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #77
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
true.. he even makes me look like a badass...

kidding aside, wot every where you must/can is very easy to forget sometimes.
Very true! Your only supposed to do three things in a race, Wot, hard braking or turning! The rest will fall into place. When I raced or practiced I used to tape reminders on my barpad on things i needed to work on...it really does sink in after a while.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #78
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wesley

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250ex 1989 Ninja 250ex 2005 Ninja 250ex 2007 Ninja 250ex 2011 Ninja 250r 1993 CBR600

First day I road my 250 home (my bike has no fairings) I was telling myself you are going way to fast it felt like my head was just getting punched repeatedly. Look down 15mph ahhhhh yeah.

I was only scared to go WOT when I was taking the MSF course but now I'm like dang this thing only does 90?

I also think it is weird to ride a road you haven't ridden in awhile when you have improved a great deal. At first you remember the road ahead as super difficult and then you actually start riding it and it usually feels easy and trivial.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #79
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

wot the second time i rode just to see what i had and i wasnt impressed, but then again i didnt buy this bike to go fast. at least it gives me something to look forward to when i upgrade
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #80
Dirty Mike
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I went WOT first ride... Also went over 60... Apparently I'm a badass!