ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 7th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #121
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

What an awesome thread - made my night. Sensible young man not afraid to wear gear or keep learning, I was wondering for a moment if Alex had cooked up a 'perfect newb' thread to help new riders lol!

Enjoy riding in the cold just remember that it takes a while to warm up your tires. I take it easy for the first bunch of corners. They warm up faster with acceleration/deceleration rather than F1 style swerving.

Black ice - I always find it in low spots and places where there's a ton of trees shading the road. Relax and glide through, if you hit it, there nothing else you can do. No brake, no turning, just light on the bars and glide through it.

Looks like you've got all the other cold weather riding techniques figured out!

You can get enduro style clip-on wind deflectors for your hands. If you keep riding in the cold, there's a whole ton of different plug-in gear that uses a rechargeable battery pack instead of plugging into your bike battery. Neck covering is essential!

Have you practiced emergency braking? I know, I know, it's my favourite topic..but do it, we need to keep good examples around

Going up to 3c (37f) tomorrow with NO windchill - awesome! Roads are pretty clear here but look at the deck Had to dig out the bike shed to get to my baby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bubbley_Storage.jpg (60.4 KB, 4 views)
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #122
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
What an awesome thread - made my night. Sensible young man not afraid to wear gear or keep learning, I was wondering for a moment if Alex had cooked up a 'perfect newb' thread to help new riders lol!

Enjoy riding in the cold just remember that it takes a while to warm up your tires. I take it easy for the first bunch of corners. They warm up faster with acceleration/deceleration rather than F1 style swerving.

Black ice - I always find it in low spots and places where there's a ton of trees shading the road. Relax and glide through, if you hit it, there nothing else you can do. No brake, no turning, just light on the bars and glide through it.

Looks like you've got all the other cold weather riding techniques figured out!

You can get enduro style clip-on wind deflectors for your hands. If you keep riding in the cold, there's a whole ton of different plug-in gear that uses a rechargeable battery pack instead of plugging into your bike battery. Neck covering is essential!

Have you practiced emergency braking? I know, I know, it's my favourite topic..but do it, we need to keep good examples around

Going up to 3c (37f) tomorrow with NO windchill - awesome! Roads are pretty clear here but look at the deck Had to dig out the bike shed to get to my baby!
haha why thank you That comment made my day!

Yeah black ice scares me, I haven't encountered any as of yet though, but I was wondering if there is any technique to not going down if I do. So now I know, will definitely try to remember that if it happens. I'm usually pretty good at keeping calm in bad situations, so hopefully all of the words of advice I've learned here, from other riding friends and MSF will come to mind when I get an "O **** moment".

Yeah I usually wait until I've gone like 5-8 miles before I start trying anything funny in the corners right now Cold tires plus the possibility of salt and sinders in the corners keep me ridding pretty sensible at the moment!

Next year I am getting cold weather add ons for her. I told myself that on the ride home as my hands were numb My core is always warm though, so unless I just don't feel like layering I don't know that I'll get heated gear. But heated grips and some wind deflectors for the grips, hell yeah! lol.

Sadly I haven't practiced any emergency braking yet. I really want to go the a parking lot and practice that and some other techniques I'm a little rusty on. Like slow speed corners. I'm **** at slow speed stuff. I found this out more than once. So it's something I do need to work on! I may do some of this today since it looks nice out! and is 39 degrees F!!!

I'm just a little scared because in my MSF the only time I screwed up was my 3rd time doing quick stop, got a little grab happy and well, me and the pavement got better acquainted! That being said i THINK I'm past that now, I haven't had any scares on the road yet, and I have had to do 1 or 2 quick stops because stupid cars like to pull out.

O wow!! You have so much snow!! I would cry! But speaking of snow, I went outside to go to work yesterday morning (at 3 in the morning mind you) and there was snow on my bike! I was like wtf? Where did that come from? We weren't supposed to get snow! I would have put it in the garage had I known that! But it was just that powdery stuff, and i wiped her down thoroughly once it melted!

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #123
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

I've got 10K+ miles on mine using regular... 25-35 cents a gallon.... for waat?
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #124
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39348

Yup! 87 Octane only. Higher octanes result in less performance and less mpg. Pumping higher grades is a great way to throw away hard earned dollars!

As a sidenote, I have a friend who pumps only premium into his Corolla because he's positive it's better for his car. SMH! lol
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #125
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
haha why thank you That comment made my day!

Yeah black ice scares me, I haven't encountered any as of yet though, but I was wondering if there is any technique to not going down if I do. So now I know, will definitely try to remember that if it happens. I'm usually pretty good at keeping calm in bad situations, so hopefully all of the words of advice I've learned here, from other riding friends and MSF will come to mind when I get an "O **** moment".
I've only had a few black ice moments and all the usual warning signs were there such as location and something looking different on the road surface. I had slowed enough but it was too late to brake hard before I was in it. The key is to not do anything to upset the bike - no throttle, no brake, no steering. The only chance you have is to glide over it and hope it's short. Every time I remembered to be light on the bars, not to grab them. Was squeezing my bum so tight, I probably grew an inch but I think I was over it before I had a real chance to mess it up.
That seems to apply for lots of "almosts". No extreme actions to make the bike unbalanced. So far so good.

Quote:
Next year I am getting cold weather add ons for her. I told myself that on the ride home as my hands were numb My core is always warm though, so unless I just don't feel like layering I don't know that I'll get heated gear. But heated grips and some wind deflectors for the grips, hell yeah! lol.
The kit I saw came with gloves and socks that plugged in. Some had more plugs available for vests, GPS, phone etc.
Quote:
Sadly I haven't practiced any emergency braking yet.
Bad boy :-)

Here's my technique, others have their own style. None would be "wrong" as long as it works!
I was taught four paw braking. Some people say never use the back brake but if guys use it at the track and MotoGP, I think they know better than I do, so I learned how to use it. Barely ever have to use it but I know how to so I can use it to settle the bike if I have to.
For hard e-braking, just start at really slow speed, straight line. No matter what gear you're in, you'll be hammering that sucker down to first, makes no diff. Everything but the geardown is PROGRESSIVE, not on/off like a light switch. If you practice to get it smooth at slow speed, do it 50 times more and then move up to a bit faster etc - it's not a competition It just has to be comfy enough that you have no fear doing it.

Then do it every time you're out and in a safe place. My instructors famous word that everyone here is probably sick of hearing - "Make your first reaction the right reaction" So in a panic situation, you will be comfy with it and it will be a natural thing. It works VERY well so keep your eyes on the mirrors and always know your escape route. Drivers don't have any idea how fast we can stop on a bike and they'll just run us over.

Slow riding, same deal and remember when you do a hard turn, you're almost to the point where you're looking behind yourself! Clutch finesse! The ninja and I had real issues with that when I started kept stalling when doing slow speed things. Give it time and master it. So many people move up to a bigger bike but it never seems to solve the real issue like not learning how to ride well. LOL!

Quote:
O wow!! You have so much snow!!
Oh yeah. But on the bright side - my textiles make freakin' awesome snowpants too! I can slide down a hill at 50kph and have no fear.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #126
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
She is still pretty..
It's a girl!

Did you give her a name yet?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #127
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

So my new toy came in the mail today. I'll just post this @Joshorilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130110_201458.jpg (30.1 KB, 13 views)

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #128
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
I've only had a few black ice moments and all the usual warning signs were there such as location and something looking different on the road surface. I had slowed enough but it was too late to brake hard before I was in it. The key is to not do anything to upset the bike - no throttle, no brake, no steering. The only chance you have is to glide over it and hope it's short. Every time I remembered to be light on the bars, not to grab them. Was squeezing my bum so tight, I probably grew an inch but I think I was over it before I had a real chance to mess it up.
That seems to apply for lots of "almosts". No extreme actions to make the bike unbalanced. So far so good.

The kit I saw came with gloves and socks that plugged in. Some had more plugs available for vests, GPS, phone etc.

Bad boy :-)

Here's my technique, others have their own style. None would be "wrong" as long as it works!
I was taught four paw braking. Some people say never use the back brake but if guys use it at the track and MotoGP, I think they know better than I do, so I learned how to use it. Barely ever have to use it but I know how to so I can use it to settle the bike if I have to.
For hard e-braking, just start at really slow speed, straight line. No matter what gear you're in, you'll be hammering that sucker down to first, makes no diff. Everything but the geardown is PROGRESSIVE, not on/off like a light switch. If you practice to get it smooth at slow speed, do it 50 times more and then move up to a bit faster etc - it's not a competition It just has to be comfy enough that you have no fear doing it.

Then do it every time you're out and in a safe place. My instructors famous word that everyone here is probably sick of hearing - "Make your first reaction the right reaction" So in a panic situation, you will be comfy with it and it will be a natural thing. It works VERY well so keep your eyes on the mirrors and always know your escape route. Drivers don't have any idea how fast we can stop on a bike and they'll just run us over.

Slow riding, same deal and remember when you do a hard turn, you're almost to the point where you're looking behind yourself! Clutch finesse! The ninja and I had real issues with that when I started kept stalling when doing slow speed things. Give it time and master it. So many people move up to a bigger bike but it never seems to solve the real issue like not learning how to ride well. LOL!

Oh yeah. But on the bright side - my textiles make freakin' awesome snowpants too! I can slide down a hill at 50kph and have no fear.
I practiced a little bit the other night on break at work. Which I realized later was probably a bad idea. I was still on the clock... so had I gotten hurt... But anyway, I was doing pretty good with the slow maneuvers. I only tried quick stopping twice. It was pretty cold out, and my tires were cold and well I was skidding around a bit. Not locking up the wheels, just not enough traction. So in fear of ruining my tires, I stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
It's a girl!

Did you give her a name yet?
I did actually. I've been toying around with names since I got her. And I had thought of one, but my friend has a dog named that.

So original name was going to be Kenzie. Reason was if anyone has ever seen the show Lost Girl, the character Kenzie looks and acts innocent most of the time. But piss her off, she'll bite your head off!

Now the actress that plays her name is named Ksenia. Which is just an awesome name. So the bike from this point on is Ksenia!

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #129
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Welcome to the family Ksenia! Seiryu and I send you many hopes for lots of miles and epic rides!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #130
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
What is it???

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #131
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

It is a Scottoiler Esystem!

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/esystem/esystem.html

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #132
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

I'm sure I can google it to find this out but I prefer to ask you. What does it do?? I read it does something with chain oil but the screen looks to have a lot more info on it.

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #133
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

O okay so you're unaware of Scottoiler Let me help you!

Basically it's an automatic chain oiler. They have 2 systems, the Vsystems and the Esystem.

The both do more or less the same thing, oil your chain. It is supposed to increase the life of your chain and make oiling and cleaning your chain a thing of the past!!

The V system works on a vacuum. The engine creates the vacuum which pulls the oil from the reservoir down the tube and it drips on the chain. There is a dial at the top that you can adjust to tell it how much oil you want being dripped. Depending on your ridding style and weather/season conditions.

The E System is the same basic premis, ie oil drips onto chain. But instead of using your engine as a vacuum, it is hooked up electronically to the battery. It then has an accelerometer in it (much like must smart phones now a days). This tells it when you're moving and when you're standing still or the bike is off. When it senses the bike is in motion, it will tell the pump to pump oil. When it senses you're still, it won't.

The screen is pretty slick, instead of a dial on the top of the reservoir like on the V, you tell it preciously how many drips you want on there. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the accelerometer. It will tell you when you're running low on oil as well.

As an added bonus (and admittedly one of the reasons I wanted this one instead of the V) the screen will also display Time Upper Left, and temperature bottom left.

So On the screen You have:

Upper left: Time (8:15 on mine)

Midd Left: Amount of drops (80 at the moment)

Bottom left : Temperature (33 degrees Fahrenheit)

Upper right: Oil left in Reservoir (I forgot to refill after getting it all set up, that's why it's that low. Lol"

Bottom-Mid Right : Accelerometer (The Gauge looking thing) and that "X" will turn into a forward arrow when the bike is in motion.

To anyone thinking of getting one. Might I suggest using "Mordeth13" in the coupon code thing for 13% off! (Sorry Josh, you had already gotten one before I knew about that!!) Instead of 280 dollars, I spent like 240! (Still expensive, but if it works as well as I've heard, not as expensive as buying new chains!) With that code you can get the VSystem for 113 bucks!

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #134
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
O okay so you're unaware of Scottoiler Let me help you!

Basically it's an automatic chain oiler. They have 2 systems, the Vsystems and the Esystem.

The both do more or less the same thing, oil your chain. It is supposed to increase the life of your chain and make oiling and cleaning your chain a thing of the past!!

The V system works on a vacuum. The engine creates the vacuum which pulls the oil from the reservoir down the tube and it drips on the chain. There is a dial at the top that you can adjust to tell it how much oil you want being dripped. Depending on your ridding style and weather/season conditions.

The E System is the same basic premis, ie oil drips onto chain. But instead of using your engine as a vacuum, it is hooked up electronically to the battery. It then has an accelerometer in it (much like must smart phones now a days). This tells it when you're moving and when you're standing still or the bike is off. When it senses the bike is in motion, it will tell the pump to pump oil. When it senses you're still, it won't.

The screen is pretty slick, instead of a dial on the top of the reservoir like on the V, you tell it preciously how many drips you want on there. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the accelerometer. It will tell you when you're running low on oil as well.

As an added bonus (and admittedly one of the reasons I wanted this one instead of the V) the screen will also display Time Upper Left, and temperature bottom left.

So On the screen You have:

Upper left: Time (8:15 on mine)

Midd Left: Amount of drops (80 at the moment)

Bottom left : Temperature (33 degrees Fahrenheit)

Upper right: Oil left in Reservoir (I forgot to refill after getting it all set up, that's why it's that low. Lol"

Bottom-Mid Right : Accelerometer (The Gauge looking thing) and that "X" will turn into a forward arrow when the bike is in motion.

To anyone thinking of getting one. Might I suggest using "Mordeth13" in the coupon code thing for 13% off! (Sorry Josh, you had already gotten one before I knew about that!!) Instead of 280 dollars, I spent like 240! (Still expensive, but if it works as well as I've heard, not as expensive as buying new chains!) With that code you can get the VSystem for 113 bucks!
Very nice! Thanks for the info. You are correct, I didn't know jack about this. So the 80 drips is that in a certain amount of time? Would you say this is something everyone needs or people that live in a certain kind of area?

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #135
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Thanks for the coupon code! I was already planning to buy the Scottoiler as soon as I get paid. VSystem for me though
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #136
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Very nice! Thanks for the info. You are correct, I didn't know jack about this. So the 80 drips is that in a certain amount of time? Would you say this is something everyone needs or people that live in a certain kind of area?
Yeah I believe that is going by seconds. I could be wrong on this though. But from my understanding. That would be 80seconds=1drop of oil.

I can't give any personal reviews on it yet, seeing how I just installed it. But from what I've heard and seen, yes. I'd say this is something everyone that rides a vehicle powered by a chain should have. I think from what I've heard, it's like 1 out of 10 people in the UK have one of these. But that could be wrong or just terribly skewed.

Either way, if you want you chain to last longer, look better all with less maintenance from you, this is the product for you.

Here are some price points that I found interesting!

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/support/calculations.html

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #137
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Thanks for the coupon code! I was already planning to buy the Scottoiler as soon as I get paid. VSystem for me though
No problem! And no shame there! I was going to get the V. In fact I had it in my cart and was ready for check out and then... I closed my eyes so I couldn't see the money I was spending... I don't regret this though, at least not yet!

Remember people order by January 19 and get free Dual Injector. The Dual injector has two oilers, one for each side of the chain! Good value since it's free!

You'd think I worked for them... haha

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #138
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Joe,

I can see why you wanted the e version. It might be worth the money just for the display w/out the oiler and it's bnefits
We do need a much clearer picture of the whole display and not just the screen.
So from your post I get this infor but I still have questions
0815 = Time
80 = Drops pre/???
33 = Degrees C or F ( can that be programmed????)

So where you gonna mount it. And we DEF need a DIY thread for this.

I think the biggest benefit to use this would be for the touring ninjetter. I don't mind oiling the chain manually but it is a PITA when your on a LOOOOOOOOOONG trip....

Looking forward to the pics.

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #139
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Need a clearer picture.
What is it?
Where you gonna mount it?
Where'd you get it?
How much?
Mate, may I suggest reading posts #131 through #137 Clearer picture? That I can do. Give me a moment!

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #140
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Nice man! Love the looks of it! Have fun out there and be safe!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #141
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

There ya go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130110_201517.jpg (57.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20130110_234842.jpg (110.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20130110_234851.jpg (66.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20130110_234858.jpg (59.5 KB, 3 views)

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #142
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Mate, may I suggest reading posts #131 through #137 Clearer picture? That I can do. Give me a moment!
Yeah Joe,

I got in a hurry. I went back and edited it, got more questions go back and read my original post.

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #143
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
There ya go!
Hmmm. I'd have to find a better place for it as it's a little bigger than I thought. Really like the display though.

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #144
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Joe,

I can see why you wanted the e version. It might be worth the money just for the display w/out the oiler and it's bnefits
We do need a much clearer picture of the whole display and not just the screen.
So from your post I get this infor but I still have questions
0815 = Time
80 = Drops pre/???
33 = Degrees C or F ( can that be programmed????)

So where you gonna mount it. And we DEF need a DIY thread for this.

I think the biggest benefit to use this would be for the touring ninjetter. I don't mind oiling the chain manually but it is a PITA when your on a LOOOOOOOOOONG trip....

Looking forward to the pics.
As I said the drops I'm pretty sure are what ever that number is means 1 drop that many seconds. So if you have it set to the recommended 60 seconds, you get 1 drop per minute. I have it set now to 1 drop ever minute 20 seconds. But I think I need to adjust that.

That is Fahrenheit, but since it is Scottish (hence Scottoiler) I'm almost positive there is a Celsius setting.

I mounted it on the left bar using the top bolt that holds on the choke/light/horn switch. Because we have a choke on our bikes (well most of us) it does make that mount a little difficult! But you can finagle it a bit and it works and still looks good!

I really wanted to try to do a DYI for this... but seeing how it took me forever and I wasn't sure on a lot of stuff myself... I figured I'd leave that up to someone else.

I can give anyone that wants it a basic rundown with some pictures if needed though!

If anyone else does do this, and can find a better place to put the reservoir other than under the passenger seat, lemme know!

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #145
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hmmm. I'd have to find a better place for it as it's a little bigger than I thought. Really like the display though.
O come on! It lights up pretty blue and looks cool! Everyone will want to know what it is! haha

That thermometer seems really accurate though! Which is really nice, especially this time of year where ice can be a problem. At least you know right away if it's cold enough!

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #146
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

They recomend two drops per minute here, The esystem is cool, but I know people who have used the vsystem for more than ten years without a problem, and without a screen it is a true set and forget, the coupon code for me wouldn't work as scottoiler don't sell direct here

I'll get some install pics when I fit my side fairings over the weekend if it stops raining.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #147
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

ESYSTEM
Is this the one you have?

Sorry, This one...

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #148
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
ESYSTEM
Is this the one you have?

Sorry, This one...
Yes that's what I bought. Just remember you live in Hawaii right? So make sure you get the red oil instead of the blue! The blue is for 32-68 degree weather where the red is for 68-10 degree weather! (That's in Fahrenheit)

I'm just assuming those are the temperatures that you experience? haha If it actually gets cold and stuff there, I guess buy whatever works for the season you're in now! I'll buy red here in a few months once it gets warm!

This explains more.
http://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/scottoil.html

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #149
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
They recomend two drops per minute here, The esystem is cool, but I know people who have used the vsystem for more than ten years without a problem, and without a screen it is a true set and forget, the coupon code for me wouldn't work as scottoiler don't sell direct here

I'll get some install pics when I fit my side fairings over the weekend if it stops raining.
Yeah haha I just geeked out at the last minute and need gismos and electronics

Yeah considering the weather around here lately I think I'm going to have to bump it up (or down to however you look at it) to around there. At least for these winter months. Hell on chains from what I understand!

I got my ACF-50 in the mail. Applied it to everything that I could think of that is metal while I had the fairings off today!

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #150
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yes that's what I bought. Just remember you live in Hawaii right? So make sure you get the red oil instead of the blue! The blue is for 32-68 degree weather where the red is for 68-10 degree weather! (That's in Fahrenheit)

I'm just assuming those are the temperatures that you experience? haha If it actually gets cold and stuff there, I guess buy whatever works for the season you're in now! I'll buy red here in a few months once it gets warm!

This explains more.
http://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/scottoil.html
It can get cold here...this morning it was 63 degrees.

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #151
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It can get cold here...this morning it was 63 degrees.

Hmm idk. Maybe ask them which oil they'd recommend for your area? They are really good with answering questions and getting back to you ASAP. I had a question a few weeks ago and I got a response within the hour I believe! Though that may have been dumb luck

Old January 11th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #152
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

With the e system i can't imagine the oil type matters too much as it is pump feed, the v system is gravity feed so temperature effects viscosity changing flow rate, the vacuum simply opens a valve that is normally spring retained closed, once the oil is on your chain the chain temp will always be between cold and warm wherever you are.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #153
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Im actually going to have to get this for my 1000, i bought it to tour and i dont want to be lubing the chain every night of a trip! I didnt know they had the esystem until now, last i saw was the V. Awesome
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #154
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

So I'm very glad thar I Act 50d my bike and got my scottoiler on yesterday! Decided to go on a little ride today. Was just kind of spritzing out. So 20 minutes in.... down pour! I started to get cold so I'm at a DD right now haha. this coffee tastes amazing right now!

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #155
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Can you show a pic of what it looks like on your bike?

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #156
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Yes I can. Though not now because it's raining rather severe at there and I'm safe in Dunkin Donuts with my coffee

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #157
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

So besides being soaked and cold because I don't have rain gear yet... ridding in the rain is actually pretty fun!

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #158
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

^^I still haven't done it. I've been caught in a very light mist type thing that happens here all the time but I haven't ridden in a real rain yet. Kind of scared to. Worried about it being to slippery and loosing the rear end.

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #159
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
^^I still haven't done it. I've been caught in a very light mist type thing that happens here all the time but I haven't ridden in a real rain yet. Kind of scared to. Worried about it being to slippery and loosing the rear end.
Your worse off ridding in a light mist. Thats when all of the oil is brought up to surface. Once you get into a steady rain, the oil washes away and as long as you take it easy and don't try to stop super quick it seems to be fine! I had no trouble. I was even on the highway cruising at 70 for like 10 miles.

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #160
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, I know that...it just rains here all the time during this season so the roads were already damp. My first day of my MSF course it was a down poor all day, which I loved. I'm glad I got to learn in the rain. I just having done it on purpose I guess.