Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
ruben5
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2004 Ninja 250

So, Pittsburgh, PA Lookin' for opinions

Im thinkin' of Making a move there? How is the riding? I saw there is a track a little north, but I'm coming from WV which has twisties freakin' everywhere! Pittsburgh doesn't seem too big and has easy access to outdoor recreation Skiing and paddling seem within easy striking distance.

How is it to live there, good people, traffic, nightlife, general vibe...??

Im not looking for additional suggestions. My job will take me this route (Corporate headquarters is there.)

Thanks
ruben5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:56 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I hate pittsburgh, but people that grew up there seem to love it.

I think it is dirty, lots of bridges and tunnels mean lots of traffic, oh yeah, steelers fans

(my opinion might be bias)
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #3
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I also hate Pittsburgh but I was a rural girl.

There is Pitt Race in Beaver/Wampum. There's traffic at all hours of the day, especially if you use 376. If you live further North it's not too bad, but you don't start getting twisties until well into the suburbs.

I think the only people who really like it are the ones who grew up there. I know people who grew up in the burbs who will tell me they'll never leave, and others who have moved there and are looking to move out.

Pittsburgh has generally ****** weather, ****** public transport, horrible grocery stores (AKA ripoff fuelperks lovers), while some culture and entertainment they also want to charge $10+ dollars in parking, jobs are okay but are also inevitably downtown or on the opposite side of the city for you.

To give you a guess as to how I felt I lived off of west 376 and it regularly took me an hour to drive the six miles and arrive into downtown.

TL;DR - I hope that city is ****ing napalmed.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #4
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

I like Pittsburgh. Not a terrible fan of the weather, but other than that it's a great city.

Quote:
How is the riding?
Not so great. The roads are generally in terrible shape (see: weather) and the drivers are some of the worst you'll find (see: Pittsburgh left, Pittsburgh wave, maintain speed through tunnels).

Quote:
I saw there is a track a little north, but I'm coming from WV which has twisties freakin' everywhere!
There's Pitt Race (formerly BeaveRun) about half an hour north. It's a nice track - I've never taken the bike up there, but they do run bike days.

Quote:
How is it to live there, good people, traffic, nightlife, general vibe...??
Good people, terrible traffic, good nightlife, general vibe is positive and eclectic. It's very much not the dirty industrial steeltown that it once was. It's one of the most livable cities in the U.S. and has booming technology and entertainment industries.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Dave,

Did you grow up in Pittsburgh?

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
There's Pitt Race (formerly BeaveRun) about half an hour north. It's a nice track - I've never taken the bike up there, but they do run bike days.
Racing the 250 there in 2.5 weeks. Can't wait, heard good things about the track.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_syn View Post
Dave,

Did you grow up in Pittsburgh?
Yes and no. Moved here when I was younger, but grew up partially outside of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Racing the 250 there in 2.5 weeks. Can't wait, heard good things about the track.
Awesome! Let me know what you think. I was considering taking mine up there once I get it back together.

Old June 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Will do a full report. That back straight looks really long though. ahahahhahaha
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Pittsburgh can diaf. Driving through it is a nightmare. Narrow roads in terrible condition, construction constantly, horrible traffic with worse drivers, no parking that doesnt cost you a limb (if you can find space at all)

It's the only place ive ever been where you can SEE where you want to go 50 feet away, but it takes 10 miles of driving to get there and because of the traffic that 10 miles takes 45 minutes.

You couldn't pay me to live there.

Edit: Pitt Race is pretty nice
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #10
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Driving through it is a nightmare. Narrow roads in terrible condition, construction constantly, horrible traffic with worse drivers, no parking that doesnt cost you a limb (if you can find space at all)

It's the only place ive ever been where you can SEE where you want to go 50 feet away, but it takes 10 miles of driving to get there and because of the traffic that 10 miles takes 45 minutes.
As much as I like the city, I do have to agree with this. That and the civil layout of the city is absurd. There's a saying:

Quote:
You can't get there from here

Old June 6th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #11
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

I haven't biked on Pitt Race but I have taken the Mini on it. YOU CAN GO SO FAST.

I wish I could track the 250, but I just fixed it from wrecking it. -.-

Old June 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

To all the hating on the burgh, move elsewhere.(LOL) I have lived in different parts of the country and the traffic isn't that bad especially if you take the time to find alternate routes. I lived on Mt. Washington for over 10yrs and never had problems getting around. I now live about 30 mins south(better schools for my kids). Road condition does suck but you can be in WV (rte250) within 30-40 mins.

As for moving to the area it depends on where in pittsburgh your corp headquarters is as to how bad traffic is and where you may want to live at.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I like the city when I've been there. If only there werent so many steelers and penguins fans! Ugh!
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Sinister
nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
To all the hating on the burgh, move elsewhere.(LOL) I have lived in different parts of the country and the traffic isn't that bad especially if you take the time to find alternate routes. I lived on Mt. Washington for over 10yrs and never had problems getting around. I now live about 30 mins south(better schools for my kids). Road condition does suck but you can be in WV (rte250) within 30-40 mins.

As for moving to the area it depends on where in pittsburgh your corp headquarters is as to how bad traffic is and where you may want to live at.
Never thought i'd see a fanboi for a city..

but there ya go

Old June 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #15
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
The police dogs were not overly mean and the drunk tank was full of helpful inmates. I do not remember much else?

Edit: Good times!
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Never thought i'd see a fanboi for a city..

but there ya go
I have lived in San Fran, Phoenix, Virginia and everywhere theres mad traffic. The cost of living is very cheap compared to other areas. If you live 30mins outside of downtown life is good!

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Sinister
nub

So, 30 mins outside of town. Meaning you don't actually live IN shitsburgh....

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
So, 30 mins outside of town. Meaning you don't actually live IN shitsburgh....
if you read my posts I lived on mt washington for over 10 years. would still be there if i wouldnt have had kids. pittsburgh is by far more liveable than many large cities. if you hate it so bad why not move? what part of pgh do u live?

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #19
ruben5
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2004 Ninja 250

Thanks for all The replies. They will help me make my decision. I'm riding my bike up that way soon. I guess i'll run around the area and get a personal feel for the area!
ruben5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #20
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben5 View Post
Thanks for all The replies. They will help me make my decision. I'm riding my bike up that way soon. I guess i'll run around the area and get a personal feel for the area!
What part of the city is your company located? I may be able to give you some suggestions as I travel alot for work.