Notices

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #41
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
dfox, it's very rare in New England, possibly because our weather is so variable… more often seen in warmer climates. I've run into it in NY state (Orange County) but never seen it in any of the NE states.

It's not the same stuff they patch potholes with. It's literally the same kind of gravel you see used for gravel driveways spread over the surface, and then sprayed with hot tar. Passing traffic mashes it down and you eventually wind up with a reasonably good surface. But until that happens the gravel stays loose. I try to avoid it whenever possible until it's fully weathered in.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #42
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I can't stand Tar+chip. They repaved one of the roads near me with tar+chip last summer. Nasty surprise around an otherwise fun corner to suddenly find that it's fresh tar+chip. Haven't been back to that road since.

At school (middle of 3 cornfields, 50 miles each direction is all the same) the roads are all Tar+chip. They wear the hell out of my bicycle tires. Had to get some really bullet-proof tires because I wore through the set I had VERY quickly. That's also part of the reason I leave the ninja at home when I go to school.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #43
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It's not the same stuff they patch potholes with. It's literally the same kind of gravel you see used for gravel driveways spread over the surface, and then sprayed with hot tar. Passing traffic mashes it down and you eventually wind up with a reasonably good surface. But until that happens the gravel stays loose. I try to avoid it whenever possible until it's fully weathered in.
Its interesting to note the regional variations.

Around here the typical application seems to be to spray a coating of hot liquid asphalt/bitumen down on the old paving, then a dump truck dumps a line of fine gravel which is spread over the road surface. Sometimes it is spread pretty evenly, sometimes its very uneven with long piles of loose gravel which are quite nasty.

I've seen the style with the overspray as well, but that seems to be done for only very short patches, or people private driveways. I really hate that as you get tar and gravel splattered up on your vehicles when it is fresh.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote