Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Would you/do you pull this move?

Riding down interstate 4 today in moderate traffic. There's 3 lanes and I'm in the far right. The speed limit is marked at 70mph I was doing between 75-80 and still getting passed by everybody. There was a car to my left so I was in the far right of my lane when all of a sudden this bozo on a BMW comes up and passes me in the left part of the same lane I was in.
It really caught me off guard because I didn't see him come up behind me. It pissed me off too because its not like he flew past me was sped off, he just past me and started riding in front of me like we were riding together or something, but in no way acknowledged him or gave any indication I was moving over for him to pass. It was also windy today , 15-20 mph wind going 80 on a ninjette makes it hard to go in a straight line sometimes.
Anyway I sped up and PAST him and glared at him and shook my head. He was some middled aged guy wearing a jacket pants and brown loafers, no socks.
Maybe this is acceptable ettiquette, I don't know I only have 10k under my belt but I personally didn't like it or appreciate it. It could have ended very badly if I decided to go to the left side of my lane.
Ps wasn't there a "near miss" thread somewhere or did I imagine that.

Last futzed with by az3200; June 16th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Bozo move by BMW dude. FYI - your speedometer might be (falsely) reading higher than you think. It's worth your time to use a GPS at highway speeds just so you can confirm whatever error percentage is there, even if it just means borrowing a friend's for a few minutes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No I would not pull that move. It takes just a few more moments for a open space to make a better pass.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

speaking of bmw's

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137697

what you described, does not surprise me. some car drivers are dicks, others are lucky to be able to even dress themselves. just give them space and hopefully darwin will do his work.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
az3200
ninjette.org member

Ill try that. I have a GPS for the car I'll figure a way to mount it so I can compare. I know 25-35 or so is accurate based on those speed limit signs that have radar and display your speed.

Oh, and sorry for the spelling and poor grammar In that first post. I'm having to type this from my phone

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Maybe he had a good reason to. Like you said, you never saw him. So maybe you missed something. But you doing it back to him, doesn't really do anyone any good either.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
Riding down interstate 4 today in moderate traffic. There's 3 lanes and I'm in the far right: Error 1 The speed limit is marked at 70mph I was doing between 75-80 You were doing 67 ~ 70 mph and still getting passed by everybody. There was a car to my left so I was in the far right of my lane when all of a sudden this bozo on a BMW comes up and passes me in the left part of the same lane I was in.
It really caught me off guard because I didn't see him come up behind me error 2. It pissed me off too error 3 because its not like he flew past me was sped off, he just past me and started riding in front of me like we were riding together or something.......... It could have ended very badly if I decided to go to the right side of my lane. (?)
Error 1: Try avoiding that lane, too much traffic moving in and off.

Error 2: Try knowing what your escape route is for each situation, which includes knowing what is over-passing and following you.

Error 3: We are not driver educators, we are just road survivors. Any neuron must be used for survival, anything else, especially emotions, are secondary. Yes, the road is unfair.

Your speedometer is around 10% optimistic. Adopt the speed of traffic when possible.

Use most of your lane, swerve within it when necessary to claim your space. With each position that we take we are sending a message to the drivers around us (which many don't get, I know), but whatever it is, must be assertive and precise. We don't want to induce more confusion around us. Maybe the driver perceived your position as a permission to share the lane (which is illegal in Florida), which I frequently see done around slow scooters.

Read this article:
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=112
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Question for anyone/everyone...If another motorcycle passes on the highway and is doing a speed close to yours do you join up and ride staggered with them for a while? I do and feel its easier to see 2 motorcycles instead of riding alone.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
Question for anyone/everyone...If another motorcycle passes on the highway and is doing a speed close to yours do you join up and ride staggered with them for a while? I do and feel its easier to see 2 motorcycles instead of riding alone.
I ride my own ride if someone passes me on the hwy so I just let them go, they can go find the cops for me.

I've never been passed in a canyon so I couldn't say what I'd do but I'm sure if it was safe I'd tag along for some fun.

I will always wait for an abundantly safe place to pass another rider because I assume every rider I catch is a retarded noob and I don't want to surprise them.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
If I just so happen to be following behind another rider, sure I'll stagger. But join up with another motorcycle? Only if she's hot.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #11
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Never thought of it as having a visibility advantage, but that could be a big plus. I'll ride staggered with someone else in traffic or on the highway as long as they're not speeding or anything stupid. It's just like oh hey another motorcycle might as well join up with em till we part ways. More or less the same as riding behind a car that is going the same speed as me, just cooler. I'll pass them if they're going slower than me though(not in the same lane of course!!).

As for what the BMW guy did, that's not cool. I would not do that or think it's okay if another rider did it. Unless I was in a group and they were a member of my group or something of that sort. Was tempted to do it to some noob squid on a ninjette today though, he couldn't seem to figure out wtf he was doing and kept going slower and faster for no reason and was all over the lane so we were only actually staggered part of the time, was pretty annoying. No gear too
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #12
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

It's a bit cheeky, however you put yourself in a position to be passed.

Take control of your lane, in line with the wheels of the car in front is a safe position, you're less likely to get a surprise pop out in front of you. all the **** gets swept clear by the wheels, the middle of the lane may be clear or may be covered in crap/oil, but has the possibility of having something appear from between the wheels of the car in front, the edge of the lane is the worst place to be.

If I'm going to overtake another bike I'll give them a flash of the headlight, if someone's on my tail & looking to pass I'll move over & give a very obvious 'cavalry charge' hand signal (left hand overhead & push forward)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Consider that the drivers that are trying to see you, will.

Consider as well that the practice is limiting your free space for avoiding maneuvers and scape routes.

I keep a prudent distance from any rider, there are better ways to make your presence evident and to claim your road space, IMHO.

Old June 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #14
az3200
ninjette.org member

Sorry, typing this from my phone as my computer is broken

Yes I shouldn't allow my emotions to run my judgments. I need to work on that though I do not have road rage. When I say I passed him I passed him at about 85mph(what the bike speedo said) and I was in my own lane, and he was in his own.

"It could have ended very badly if I decided to go to the right side of my lane." - Mean to say If I crossed into the left portion of my lane. I was already in the far right lane of 3 lanes of traffic.

I do watch my mirrors a lot and like to know what cars are doing behind me. I tend to look at what's in front of me more often though. I'm sure it's possible someone could pull this same move even to the vetrans here. Another learning lesson for me I suppose.

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
The speed limit is marked at 70mph I was doing between 75-80 and still getting passed by everybody.
Maybe it's my inner californian speaking, but the only time you should ever look at your speedo is when you are the only one on the road. When there is traffic, go the speed of traffic. Even if that speed is over the limit. Things like this won't happen as often.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #16
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Protect your lane is the best thing to do. Riding to the far right may feel safer for you but it's an invitation for cagers to take your lane. Far right lane stay left of center, far left lane right of center.

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........Yes I shouldn't allow my emotions to run my judgments. I need to work on that though I do not have road rage...........

I do watch my mirrors a lot and like to know what cars are doing behind me. I tend to look at what's in front of me more often though. I'm sure it's possible someone could pull this same move even to the veterans here.
Even if you don't reach the rage level, your attention is diminished, and we cannot afford that; just let it go and re-focus on the new traffic situation.
We all have surrendered to the temptation of lecturing a bad driver, but it is not safe (some are really unbalanced characters).

Yes, regular glimpses to the mirrors work most of the time, but there is this odd guy doing the unexpected once in a while.

A squid on a SS 600 managed to surprise me passing on my left with a delta-speed of around 40 mph in the HOV lane of I-95; I never saw that guy approaching and he did scare me (he probably did it on purpose).

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #18
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
It really caught me off guard because I didn't see him come up behind me. It pissed me off too because its not like he flew past me was sped off, he just past me and started riding in front of me like we were riding together or something, but in no way acknowledged him or gave any indication I was moving over for him to pass. It was also windy today , 15-20 mph wind going 80 on a ninjette makes it hard to go in a straight line sometimes.
Anyway I sped up and PAST him and glared at him and shook my head. He was some middled aged guy wearing a jacket pants and brown loafers, no socks.
Maybe this is acceptable ettiquette, .
Snappy dressed BMW guys think they own the road. This is only acceptable if there are no socks involved.

Chalk it up to not paying attention. It appears neither of you were. Remember, only you can prevent getting killed on a motorcycle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Pay more attention, you won't get more surprised.

I get passed by other bikes in lane all the time, do it to others often enough as well, although not as much since I tend to ride more slowly to help my mpg.

What kind of BMW, are we talking about a touring bike or a DS or a SB, cruisers and tourers tend to take up more room in a lane and tend to do that sort of thing less often. Still, if I notice one that wants to pass me I let them know to go ahead.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #20
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Ride in a manner where you command the attention of the vehicles around you. In this situation that would mean being closer to the center of the lane so that the BMW wouldn't be able to pass you. Preferably you would ride so that no car is in the lane next to you, but that's impossible when there's lots of traffic. So in your case maintain good position so that you're visible to the car in the lane to the left of you, which in my opinion would be near the hood or even farther up.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

In response to thread title.

Nope.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote