100% commuting, i ride only to save on gas 5 6.10%
90% commuting 10% pleasure, i just gotz no free time 23 28.05%
75% commute 25% pleasure, weekend warrior 14 17.07%
50% commute, 50% pleasure, I ride on my lunch break 3 3.66%
25% commute, 75% pleasure, I get on the steel horse every chance i get 4 4.88%
10% commute, 90% pleasure, I only ride to have fun 4 4.88%
100% pleasure, the bike is my play toy and ticket to just get away 11 13.41%
75% commute, 25% agressive twisties/track, I need my speed fix 7 8.54%
50% commute, 25% pleasure, 25% white knuckles, I can cruise and crank it 2 2.44%
50% commute, 50% agressive/track, I get my fix doing laps 0 0%
100% high octane baby!! grip it and rip it!! 5 6.10%
50% commute, 50% pleasure with lots of long ass rides 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Poll % of riding

So after i got to work today, got out of my gear i was thinking how much fun i had on my way to work and that i really like my 250 and have no reasons to justify getting another bike. My rational, 90% of my riding is commuting and the other 10% is medium distance trip joy riding which is anything but crazy around here. With this being said, why would i need a different bike? Commute to work is done with traffic, where i tend to be faster than traffic just fine traveling at speeds that would easily get me pulled over, i wouldn't go any faster no matter what bike i was on. My pleasure/joy riding is very limited at the moment but even then the bike will corner faster than i am willing to go, and or my skill allows. And i don't go to the track

all this = no rational to get a different, and or bigger bike IMO

I guess i understand that it is hard to rationalize such a thing but lets see if we can't get some people excited

Last futzed with by subxero; June 20th, 2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: i need to put in the poll yo, Why me have no options to put in the poll anymore?
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Cool story bro?

Sorry I don't understand the question here. Everybody rides for different reason and rides what they ride for different reason... You don't have to buy a bigger bike. and others don't have to justify their bigger bikes... etc.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
After buying a 7100 dollar 600. I bought an 11000 dollar VFR. After living with the big heavy, gas guzzling bikes that by the way had ZERO chance of setting a land speed record. I bought a 3500 dollar 250 ninja. I rode the bike to work as my sole means of transportation for two years. before turning it into s race bike. Six years later and 30+ land speed records. Three top ten championship trophies. I am almost ready to get another 250 ninja I can ride on the street.
I love big powerful bikes. But if I have to spend my own money and live with a bike. Then the 250 ninja is perfect. Simple to ride maintain. Cheap insurance and great on gas.

If you want a big bike get one. But the 250 is not inferior because it is has less power. It is just a different bike.

That is my two cents.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
i didnt get the poll finished quick enough, i will type it up again... but quicker

i can't edit the first post to try and do the poll again so i will have to create another thread.
@Alex please delete this, sorry it to me to long to figure out my poll options duh!

^ i guess a merge would work to?

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Poll, what % riding do you do

So after i got to work today, got out of my gear i was thinking how much fun i had on my way to work and that i really like my 250 and have no reasons to justify getting another bike. My rational, 90% of my riding is commuting and the other 10% is medium distance trip joy riding which is anything but crazy around here. With this being said, why would i need a different bike? Commute to work is done with traffic, where i can i tend to be faster than traffic just fine traveling at speeds that would easily get me pulled over, i wouldn't go any faster no matter what bike i was on. My pleasure/joy riding is very limited at the moment but even then the bike will corner faster than i am willing to go, and or my skill allows. And i don't go to the track

all this = no rational to get a different, and or bigger bike IMO

I guess i understand that it is hard to rationalize such a thing but lets see if we can't get some people excited

I tried to include a fair amount of options to account for different types of riding, oh well

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Cool story bro?

Sorry I don't understand the question here. Everybody rides for different reason and rides what they ride for different reason... You don't have to buy a bigger bike. and others don't have to justify their bigger bikes... etc.
I am not saying that they need to justify it but IMO there is always a correct tool for the job at hand and am merely hinting at the idea that if some riders would step back and analyze their riding they might see that they could be getting more with less.

Example, You don't buy a lambo to commute in every day of the week and then maybe take it out for a joy ride every other week, its just stupid.

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Hmm, i do 100% commuting and 100% pleasure, the two aren't interchangable if you don't own ay other form of transport.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Leisure would have been a better word choice but i think most people get the idea...err hmm i hope

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #9
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I figured i would copy RacerX's response from my first original "poll post failure" to here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
After buying a 7100 dollar 600. I bought an 11000 dollar VFR. After living with the big heavy, gas guzzling bikes that by the way had ZERO chance of setting a land speed record. I bought a 3500 dollar 250 ninja. I rode the bike to work as my sole means of transportation for two years. before turning it into s race bike. Six years later and 30+ land speed records. Three top ten championship trophies. I am almost ready to get another 250 ninja I can ride on the street.
I love big powerful bikes. But if I have to spend my own money and live with a bike. Then the 250 ninja is perfect. Simple to ride maintain. Cheap insurance and great on gas.

If you want a big bike get one. But the 250 is not inferior because it is has less power. It is just a different bike.

That is my two cents.

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

If I didn't live somewhere with so many hills I wouldn't want a bigger bike, but hill climbing on a ninja isn't fun, having to keep it above 6krpm or it will stutter and loose speed sucks.

Imagine lomard street in san fran up and down every day, the ninja has no get up and go going up, it just gets bogged down.

So yes, I will be getting a bigger bike some time in the future, not because I have to, but because I want MORE POWER!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ you ride your ninja under 6k rpms... up hills? jk.... but seriously? Plenty of hills around here, i have never had a problem.

Thats not even half way through the rev range.

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I am not saying that they need to justify it but IMO there is always a correct tool for the job at hand and am merely hinting at the idea that if some riders would step back and analyze their riding they might see that they could be getting more with less.

Example, You don't buy a lambo to commute in every day of the week and then maybe take it out for a joy ride every other week, its just stupid.
You can commute with a lambo just as much as you can commute with a 1000cc bike. It's a choice and it's not stupid just cause you say so

250 cc is as much track weapon as a 600cc and a 1000cc. Or else they wouldn't have all those categories of racing would they?

Let people enjoy what they ride. You don't have to enjoy a bigger bike only by going full throttle. The available power is plenty of fun when you're simply passing a car then exiting the freeway.

Sure track is more fun and I find street riding boring as hell in any shape or form. But if people enjoy it, that's all they need to justify whatever bike they want.

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
You can commute with a lambo just as much as you can commute with a 1000cc bike. It's a choice and it's not stupid just cause you say so

250 cc is as much track weapon as a 600cc and a 1000cc. Or else they wouldn't have all those categories of racing would they?

Let people enjoy what they ride. You don't have to enjoy a bigger bike only by going full throttle. The available power is plenty of fun when you're simply passing a car then exiting the freeway.

Sure track is more fun and I find street riding boring as hell in any shape or form. But if people enjoy it, that's all they need to justify whatever bike they want.

Using a sledge hammer to drive a drywall nail = stupid

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Because sledge hammers aren't meant to hammer drywall nails.

Lamborghinis are road cars meant to drive on well, roads. They have head lights, indicators, bumpers, air bags, they meet emissions requirements all the things that make them legal to drive on roads.

Sure you can't get the most out of them on a road, performance wise but I'd surmise for some owners getting the "most out of them" is being seen going 15mph down a busy street.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Because sledge hammers aren't meant to hammer drywall nails.

Lamborghinis are road cars meant to drive on well, roads. They have head lights, indicators, bumpers, air bags, they meet emissions requirements all the things that make them legal to drive on roads.

Sure you can't get the most out of them on a road, performance wise but I'd surmise for some owners getting the "most out of them" is being seen going 15mph down a busy street.
a sledge hammer is a hammer meant to pound things into other things. It is a specialized hammer yes that is meant to do particular task.

A lambo is a "street legal" "road car" yes, but it is a performance derived vehicle designed for performance driving not to haul groceries through town, or to go over a speed bump for that matter.

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
a sledge hammer is a hammer meant to pound things into other things. It is a specialized hammer yes that is meant to do particular task.

A lambo is a "street legal" "road car" yes, but it is a performance derived vehicle designed for performance driving not to haul groceries through town, or to go over a speed bump for that matter.
You're missing the point. Point being is it's arrogant to assume that your definition of the correct tool for the job/the correct purpose for a car matches everyone else's.

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Does not compute. Try again.

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Gurk
Done here.

OP in 2 months : "traded my ninjette for a 636. Sad to let the ninjette go but I love my new bike. First time I opened the throttle on the freeway I was smiling ear to ear"

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #19
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Here we go again with the everything bigger than a 250 is pointless and stupid
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
polls not fair. i commute very pleasurably.

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #21
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Both hands on the bars there, buddy.

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #22
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
You're missing the point. Point being is it's arrogant to assume that your definition of the correct tool for the job/the correct purpose for a car matches everyone else's.
soooo a lambo is not a performance car? This is not a general consensus? It is not designed to go fast in a straight line but also take turns while going fast as well? I could be wrong but i don't think it was designed to get good gas mileage, or be good over large bumps and rough terrain. Nor was it designed with ride comfort in mind or to have a lot of cargo space.

huh? logic fails me

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
polls not fair. i commute very pleasurably.
poor choice of words on my behalf, please insert Leisure, i would edit it if i could

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #24
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Here we go again with the everything bigger than a 250 is pointless and stupid
Not the point at all, again right tool for the job. You want to spend $14k on a race bred bike thats great, use it for what it was intended for otherwise you could most likely be enjoying your riding more on something else, not necessarily a 250 either.

I am just trying to point out that most people simply over look the function of things and get something engineered for primarily a different purpose. They sacrifice functionality just so they can get something "cool" "bad a**"

that is all, is the 250 best overall bike... not by a long shot, but for someone like me who uses it primarily for a short commute it fits the bill perfectly on many levels with out sacrificing to much in most areas

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:

Is it against the rules to tow my motorcycle to the track with my Lamborghini?

I saw a guy coming from Laguna in his Corvett race car towing a small flat bed home made trailer with his tool box, floor jack and spare wheels. I thought that was a sick(good) idea

I ride my ninja 365 as if I didn't own a perfectly awesom truck just sitting in my driveway. I also take it out on the weekends if I'm feeling lazy and start with a casual ride and end with everyone else having white knuckles
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I've had a Vette follow my 4Runner off road through some rather knarly ruts and rocky stretches. There is a such thing as the right tool for the job, but if it's what you got, use it.

I do commute on my bike but mostly it's to get someplace fun. The joys of living in the boondocks.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
OP in 2 months : "traded my ninjette for a 636. Sad to let the ninjette go but I love my new bike. First time I opened the throttle on the freeway I was smiling ear to ear"

not a chance i'm broke

But if i had the time and the money sure i would get another bike, i would love to get a bike for the track and yes i would get a bike designed for the track, proper brakes, suspension, controls ect...

Hence some of the options, if you picked the last one "50/50 lots of long ass rides" then i sure hope you have a bike designed for long as rides, can the ninja do it, yeah but is that what the bike was designed for... not so much.

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
soooo a lambo is not a performance car? This is not a general consensus? It is not designed to go fast in a straight line but also take turns while going fast as well? I could be wrong but i don't think it was designed to get good gas mileage, or be good over large bumps and rough terrain. Nor was it designed with ride comfort in mind or to have a lot of cargo space.

huh? logic fails me
Now you're just being contentious. You said it was stupid to commute in a Lamborghini. That's your opinion which is fine but you're trying to make it a fact. It's not.

Logic should fail you because you're not being logical. And that's kind of the point isn't it. Cars/motorcycles etc, ownership and usage doesn't have to be logical.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14

Obviously ownership does not have to be logical and in most cases is far from it. That is the point. I am encouraging people to take a look at what they do on their bikes and to ask THEMSELVES... not me. Are you using it to it's full potential? Is there a better option out their for what you do on your bike?

So before you go and spend $15k on your EVO 848 you might want to think about these and other questions and potentially save your self some cash and actually enjoy a different bike more buy purchasing something that is more catered towards your kind of riding.

If you think you need the 848 for daily commuting and carrying a passenger then so be it, some people can not be reached

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's perhaps more straightforward to catalog and rate "needs". But very little we buy, do, ride, or enjoy is directly mapped to an actual need. It's much more of a "want". And nobody is ever going to able to define objectively and inarguably what someone else should want. Though it's certainly one of the goals of marketing.

If someone wants to commute 2-up on a racebike, saying that they don't need it is not particularly novel. But saying they shouldn't want it isn't a great use of time either.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #31
dave42
ninjette.org guru

We're probably going around in circles here; yes, people that think they NEED a large engine bike for carrying passengers and stuff are probably really grasping for a justification for getting whatever they want (I ran into somebody on the zx6 forums who thought the Ninja 650 is inadequate for 2up).

For short commutes and general riding, sure, the 250 is a great all-around bike. We wouldn't be on this board still if we thought otherwise. Getting a bike that costs more than the 250 though, that's up to the individual. What's not worth the price difference to you might be worth it for others.

As far as using our bikes to their full potential, now that's completely debatable. What's full potential anyway? Redlining in the highest gear? Max cornering? Max carry capacity? Running it until the fuel is dry? I doubt anybody (except nutjobs like Jason here but dude you don't count, you weirdo) is really using the 250 to its fullest.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
IMO, anyone with over a 250 is a ****ing idiot, and that's a fact.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Except me, I need a 1300.
AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #34
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Yeah only because the left handlebar on your 1000 fell off.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Yeah only because the left handlebar on your 1000 fell off.
It didn't just "fall off." It ran into the median of a freeway. If I had the 1300 or any amount of skill I wouldn't have crashed
AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #36
dave42
ninjette.org guru

My reasoning was funnier.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #37
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

The 250 is like a civic. A standard economy car that gets to point a to point b getting better than average mpg and its easy to operate and live with. Today we have cars that are bigger, have more power while getting similar mileage, and are more comfortable, look nicer, etc etc.

I find it funny that we instantly jump to the conclusion that everyone else rides a gixxer 1000. There are so many options of motorcycle for the public that fill riding niches a lot of them much better than the ninjette.

Our 250 is a cult like motorcycle. The riders generally have an irrational love for the bike. That's cool. But why do we want to ride anything else? Same reasons why not everyone drives a civic sedan or a Toyota Camry.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #38
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
My reasoning was funnier.
Serious answer is serious lol
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #39
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Aight, next time I'm wearing a white jogging suit over my gear when I'm on the 250. The cult will start... with me!

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
You die first then
AFM #676