Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #1
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Germany: Autobahn burst due to heat, bker dies

Sorry, haven't been able to find the article in English.

http://m.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/a-906839.html

In short, due to the heat wave that befell Germany during the last few days, there have been a few incidents where the Autobahn literally burst at the joints and created something like mini jump ramps. (Check the pic)

There have been a lot of scares, a few accidents and now a rider has died. Apparently he was on his Harley, got thrown off and slammed into the crash barrier.

I've seen those types of Autobahn before, they are the older ones that are not made of Asphalt but of large plates of concrete. Between each plate there is a small gap which ought to allow the plate to extend when hot. Apparently the gap was too small and the heat too much this time so that the plates contacted and then went upward due to the pressure.

Scary
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
oh snap! check that out. wow indeed.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Courtesy of Google Translate:

Quote:
Abensberg - The heat has blown up in numerous places in Germany part of the highways normal. Even on the highway at 93 Abensberg arched the road, there was a crack centimeters high. For motorcyclists the damage to the deadly fatality was: The 59-year-old man drove over the hump, crashed into the guard rail and died at the scene of his heavy chest injuries.

DISPLAY
Previously, four cars were driven over the obstacle that looked like a ski jump. Four people were slightly injured, the damaged car. Josef Seebacher, spokesman for the Highway South Bavaria, said the "Bavarian Newspaper", the road on the stretch of the A93 was broken within seconds. "It was not until ten minutes before the accident is driven by a control vehicle," he told the paper.

"A very difficult problem"

Experts speak in the loss of "blow-ups". Were mainly affected sections with concrete slabs, Seebacher said. Here, the plates expand so far that they abut each other and a broken edge is created. "The fact that this occurs so quickly in so many places today, is exceptional. All road users are urged to drive with extreme caution on all routes concrete."

The dangerous blow-ups occurred in the past few days to several sections of motorway in Germany. Among other things, the Heat blew a piece of the A8 at Remchingen near Karlsruhe or the A7 in Baden-Wuerttemberg. In Bavaria, the road curved to the A3, A7, A92 and A94 motorways.

According to the Head of Unit of the General Directorate of Highways Regensburg, Christian Unzner, there are usually no outward signs where blow-ups could arise. "We can respond only if it has already happened - a very difficult problem," said the Unzner "Bavarian Newspaper".
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Therefore u must know that Germany doesn't have anymore money for their own infrastructure cos the high intelligent parliament of Germany is spending all of it for the other already bankrupt countries in Europe and the german chancellorin Merkel is dreaming about becoming the first President of the United States of Europe.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Yep, that's why My country is not part of the EU, it's why I pay less than 20% tax, haven't been effected by the global recession and own a million dollar house

**** you EU!

But back to topic, surely they're aware of the bad road conditions and adjust speed to be safe, thats what all the other hundreds of thousands of bikers did that day and didn't die.

A german on a harley? That's like someone who lives next to a michelan star resturant going to buy a big mac for the same price as a three course gormet meal
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
A german on a harley?
...is mainly a Lawyer or another high earner and its true they're a lil bit elder already
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:22 AM   #9
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

We have similar humps in the pavement on certain roads around here, but not as severe, maybe 2 or 3 inches up. I never realized it was the heat! Our older roads were concrete and thru the years have been covered with asphalt. It puckers up in the worst places.... like the apex of a curve. I've called the DOT to have them shave off the tops of the ones in the curves...citing a danger to motorists... ya know, if you use the word "safety" they have to respond.

You can see the crack across the road in google maps. This particular one has humped up a lot since the last time goog came thru. The only thing you can do is aim for the inside of the curve, make the bike vertical at the last instant and go back into lean and end up wide on the curve... or go 30mph.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=34.07378...29.82,,0,19.29

The good news is just this month, they've gone thru and repaved the worst places, but not the whole road... now the road is 1/2mile new, 1/2 mile old for it's entire length.

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:26 AM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
But back to topic, surely they're aware of the bad road conditions and adjust speed to be safe, thats what all the other hundreds of thousands of bikers did that day and didn't die.
I dunno. The broken Googlish says "the road on the stretch of the A93 was broken within seconds" and makes it sound like a control vehicle drove the section ten minutes prior and there was no issue. Then four cars went over, with one damaged and four people injured and then the biker killed. I'd imagine the police shut the section down for accident and did something to reduce/eliminate the hazard until the section repaired.

Maybe the other breaks weren't as severe.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

This time last year that same thing happened on the I990 heading towards I290
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM   #12
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

rip!
man one more thing I have to be paranoid about!

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

The only thing i have to worry about are rabits and hedgehogs, you can play a perverse game or croquet with them.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM   #14
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
The only thing i have to worry about are rabits and hedgehogs, you can play a perverse game or croquet with them.
roadkill cuisine!

Old June 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
roadkill cuisine!
I ment to say polo, but no, too many lice...