ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old July 9th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #1
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

I was a noob, my head too big.

Got my bike a few years ago. Aced the license, aced the saftey course was feeling great and confident. Alas a dream come true! There i was out for a blip, perhaps a bit fast for my skill level at that time. Came left around an over-pass at about 80kph (55mph), on the other side of the road there was a patch of crappy pavement marked by a cone.

The fellow coming the opposite way decided he wanted part of MY lane to move over for something that wasnt obstructing his path so when he moved over I decided to straiten the bike up to keep my head from being smashed off. I hit the shoulder and down she went on the left side...

In my infinite squid-li-ness I decided that day to wear an impact vest and a tee shirt. I skinned my elbow down to the bone and slammed my hip so hard it had a big purple bruise for two months. However I do beleive to this day that was a best case scenario for that location and the skill level I was at.

Now I'd just evade the car and go right back to the lean but in all honesty i was so new that i saw that car come and froze up and fixated on that dirt. "no no no" *splat* YUP. I learned one very valuable thing that day. If you're gonna ride, commit and dont let anything freak you out, and since then I have rode out some pretty amazing situations just by having the nerve to stay on it.

Hit a racoon and tank slapper 4 feet in the air at 110kph at night with only a high beam and rode it out in pure TERROR... Another time was blasting twisties at night at well over the limit and got the bike hopping side ways got bucked and rode it into the outside shoulder to a stop. a move so impressive to this day I cannot believe I made it. My buddy looked at me and went "Wow NICE save!" I am not glorifying my stupidity by any means... these were just all very very valuable lessons.

Old July 16th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lucky... and glad your ok now.

I bet you gear up a bit better now right?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikRox View Post
Another time was blasting twisties at night at well over the limit...
I don't know about where you are, but around here you're likely to hit a deer doing that kind of thing, and your odds aren't good if that happens.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Lucky indeed.

So what did you learn from all these incidents?

First and second incidents happened too fast for your ability to react at the skill level you had. What can that teach you?

Third incident as described indicates pushing too hard for your skill level. What can that teach you?

Has your viewpoint and riding practice changed as a result of all these? If so, how? If not, why?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #5
KikRox
ninjette.org member

All i learned was shmamming sucks and commit to a corner. the last one about the s-bends that have chucked me i learned dont go for the instinctual inside corner line. its fast in oh yeah bit its fast right out the other side of the corner into a ditch or feild or whatever...

I also wear all my gear all the time now. icon impact vest, teknic coat, oxtar boots admitedly however i dont have a good pair of pants yet. on my check list for after my new tires come in.

I dont have all the answers i'm not motorcycle ghandi or bias toward riding safe or riding like a psycho. both are equally good. being a psycho some days is exactly whats needed but only when its within our skill level and the road conditions allow. sometimes not being an idiot has really been a good thing too. all in all i'd have to say i've grown a sixth sense to an impending doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I don't know about where you are, but around here you're likely to hit a deer doing that kind of thing, and your odds aren't good if that happens.
Ontario canada. Lots of wildlife here, probably not the brightest plan but fun!

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Find a track and do all your high speed riding there. To do otherwise is risking your life. You'll find that it's way more fun to get thrills on a track, because you don't have to worry about cars going the other way, gravel, trees, etc..

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #7
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Find a track and do all your high speed riding there. To do otherwise is risking your life. You'll find that it's way more fun to get thrills on a track, because you don't have to worry about cars going the other way, gravel, trees, etc..
I'd first have to invest in a bike capable of high speeds! but naw you are right a 250 can smack person up the same as a liter. I grow more and more respect each year, this year i've been taking it easy. first year i was such a dweeb... this is my third year.

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I'd first have to invest in a bike capable of high speeds!
Not true. A Ninja 250 will go plenty fast to give you big thrills on a track. When you get good at the turns, you may find yourself passing big, fast bikes. Sure, they'll pass you in the straights, but how much skill does it take to go fast in a straight line?

Some of the most fun I've had in curves has been on my Yamaha DT100 on the supermoto track at VIR. You can drag a knee every few hundred feet on that track.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, I've ridden my CBR600RR much less since getting the 250R. Sure, most weekends when I would normally be riding the 600, I'm at the track now. But I even bought a 2nd 250R as backup and street bike. Every chance I get for a street ride, I take the 250R now. It's just so much fun and flickable! And more than capable of breaking any speed-limits.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #10
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Not true. A Ninja 250 will go plenty fast to give you big thrills on a track. When you get good at the turns, you may find yourself passing big, fast bikes. Sure, they'll pass you in the straights, but how much skill does it take to go fast in a straight line?
*when*? yeah its a rocket in corners... nice light bike with lots of gears in a short amount of space it makes riding the bike feel like you're doing something. there are some amazing roads around where i live where the two fiddy really shines. roads where all the power and top end speed dont mean a damn thing and it always shocks people that i can leave them in the dust on a quarter liter. Being fast isnt just speed it's knowing the road planning for the things ahead and knowing just how far to push it. I realize im new to the forum but i'm not a complete half witt. I've had plenty of "tear you arms off fast" toys, the ninja isnt one of them but i still love it for getting around.

Old July 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

If you have track experience, then ignore this, but I was talking about at the track. No matter how much experience you have on the street, turns are different on a track. I doubt if anyone is going to come to a track the first time and start passing more experienced riders in the turns.

Old July 17th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #12
KikRox
ninjette.org member

No track experience. i'm merely a commuter and joy rider. In all honesty I do ride it hard cus thats what the 250 wants but i dont drive like a jerk. No speeding in town and being a jerk doing wheelies and stuff. I respect my bike to a degree because I dont have a license for anything with four wheels. I have a bike, and a bike license thats it.

Old July 18th, 2017, 04:35 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I dont have all the answers i'm not motorcycle ghandi or bias toward riding safe or riding like a psycho. both are equally good. being a psycho some days is exactly whats needed but only when its within our skill level and the road conditions allow. sometimes not being an idiot has really been a good thing too. all in all i'd have to say i've grown a sixth sense to an impending doom.
Good luck with that. Check back in in 20 or 30 years after life has beaten you up a bit.

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like your dad. I'm probably old enough to BE your dad. Maybe your granddad.

I'm 58. I've been riding for 30-odd years. In all that time I've laid a bike down exactly once, at about 15 mph, right after I got my license. 1987.

Today I ride half a dozen or more track days a year and move along at a pretty good clip. Not the fastest by far, but for sure not the slowest either.

Yeah, I ride fast on the street too (and have the tickets to show for it...). But I'm fully intact and have remained that way for decades.

Why? What's kept the rubber side down for so long?

My $0.02:

Riding safe and riding slow are not the same thing.

Going "psycho" on a bike is never a good idea IMHO, whether or not you feel it's within your skill envelope. Why? Because of EXACTLY what you encountered... the unexpected that by definition you cannot anticipate.

I know a guy who talks the same way you do. He's faster and more skilled on the track than I am. He's young, indestructible, and likes to push it. A year ago he was having one of those "psycho" rides... got air on his street bike and lost it. Slid into a road sign. Compound fracture of his femur. He almost bled out.

Old July 18th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #14
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

One "psycho" moment is all it takes to end you... or some other innocent bystanders...

Old July 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #15
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikrox View Post
i dont have a license for anything with four wheels. I have a bike, and a bike license thats it.
no car/car license and you live in canada, hows winter for ya?
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #16
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
no car/car license and you live in canada, hows winter for ya?
brother... it is HELL... However two winters ago i rode until january 5th and was back out in april (with a few scoots down the road when it was clear during the inbetween months) lol i make it work. still though a few months off a year isnt a bad thing, plus we have winter toys too.

Old July 18th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #17
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Good luck with that. Check back in in 20 or 30 years after life has beaten you up a bit.

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like your dad. I'm probably old enough to BE your dad. Maybe your granddad.

I'm 58. I've been riding for 30-odd years. In all that time I've laid a bike down exactly once, at about 15 mph, right after I got my license. 1987.

Today I ride half a dozen or more track days a year and move along at a pretty good clip. Not the fastest by far, but for sure not the slowest either.

Yeah, I ride fast on the street too (and have the tickets to show for it...). But I'm fully intact and have remained that way for decades.

Why? What's kept the rubber side down for so long?

My $0.02:

Riding safe and riding slow are not the same thing.

Going "psycho" on a bike is never a good idea IMHO, whether or not you feel it's within your skill envelope. Why? Because of EXACTLY what you encountered... the unexpected that by definition you cannot anticipate.

I know a guy who talks the same way you do. He's faster and more skilled on the track than I am. He's young, indestructible, and likes to push it. A year ago he was having one of those "psycho" rides... got air on his street bike and lost it. Slid into a road sign. Compound fracture of his femur. He almost bled out.
dont be so literal. do you not have any fun left in you? when riding a bike becomes a mechanical process where i start analysing things too heavily and stop enjoying doing what they are made for then i will just sell it and move on. Toys are meant to be driven. i'm not saying do what i do, im just not gonna hide that yes I do play and i enjoy the bike for that. If you dont come back with a smile and ride for yourself then you're doing it all wrong.

Old July 19th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
dont be so literal. do you not have any fun left in you?
I dunno. What do you think?

(L to R: bigballsofpaint, adouglas, csmith12, ducati999)

Old July 19th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #19
taz
????????????????

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
i dunno. What do you think? :d

(l to r: Bigballsofpaint, adouglas, csmith12, ducati999)

holy crap there is a face behind that fist.

Old July 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
holy crap there is a face behind that fist.
Hehe

You want it, don't you? You know you do.....

Old July 19th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #21
taz
????????????????

MOTM - May '17
Quote:

You want it, don't you? You know you do.....
already trying to sell a 750 don't need another one to sell.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:52 AM   #22
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I think Mr @KikRox may be on the same page as you @adouglas. I just think he is describing things a little bit loosely. I could be wrong but he seems to be describing his riding as fun and safe (his level of risk) enough for him with no wheelies or speeding in town. We all have occasional moments where the needle on the speedo goes past where it should or we lean too far on a public road, who can make the call for how much is too much? Some chose to do their high speed full lean on the track only and some do it on the street only. All we can do is encourage safe (for conditions) riding and urge people to "go Psycho" on the track and hope they are just talking in a way that indicates less safety margin than there actually is. We all know that the truly insane street riders time will run out eventually!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #23
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I think Mr @KikRox may be on the same page as you @adouglas. I just think he is describing things a little bit loosely. I could be wrong but he seems to be describing his riding as fun and safe (his level of risk) enough for him with no wheelies or speeding in town. We all have occasional moments where the needle on the speedo goes past where it should or we lean too far on a public road, who can make the call for how much is too much? Some chose to do their high speed full lean on the track only and some do it on the street only. All we can do is encourage safe (for conditions) riding and urge people to "go Psycho" on the track and hope they are just talking in a way that indicates less safety margin than there actually is. We all know that the truly insane street riders time will run out eventually!
Haha bingo. Yeah my version of "psychotic" is no where near track riding haha. No no maybe double the limit in twisties I have memorized but never unnecessary risk. I ride hard I push the bike a bit but never to the brink of disaster that's careless. Even if racing I will let a person pass me if I can't safely go faster. Taking a loss isn't as bad walking away on two feet than it would be blowing in a straw.

Old September 11th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #24
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Thank you KikRox for this thread. Finally i get to see adouglas's face. For sure I am having a nightmare tonight.

Old September 11th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
Thank you KikRox for this thread. Finally i get to see adouglas's face. For sure I am having a nightmare tonight.
You asked for it... from Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Land o' Meat!

Old September 11th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #26
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
You asked for it... from Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Land o' Meat!

Oh sweet Jesus... Is that fried chickeenn??????

Old September 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #27
DannoXYZ

HAhahahah! At recent Thunderhill track-day, we had one of THESE for dinner!

Old September 11th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #28
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Dinner? How long is the trackday?

Old September 11th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #29
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

From my experience, closing time is about dinner time.

Old September 11th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #30
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
What time do you take your dinner? and what time it is normally dark?

Old September 12th, 2017, 04:12 AM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Oh sweet Jesus... Is that fried chickeenn??????
Turkey leg.

At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it's almost impossible to buy anything at the concession stands that isn't made of meat.

Old September 12th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #32
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Dinner? How long is the trackday?
Quote:
What time do you take your dinner? and what time it is normally dark?
Usually last session ends at 1700. Then it's time for pig-roast luau party on start/finish line!

Free beer and booze for all!!!

Get all eating and partying done before darkness sets in around 1930.

Old September 19th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #33
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
all the booze should've been served before the session starts. lol

Old September 19th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #34
DannoXYZ

This is a Saturday night with another full track-day on Sunday! I'm surprised given the litigious nature of U.S. that they served liquor! Then again, people bring their own booze too.