ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #1
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Not like the cold or something else?

I'm going to try to make sure I include every detail as sometimes I rush through these posts and forget things. I went to take the bike to work today and it must have been somewhere between 38-40 degrees F. I was gradually applying choke starting the bike but it ended up needing full choke to start. I rode the bike probably half a mile and tried to turn the choke down to about 80%, took a left turn and the bike stalled on me. Put it back to full choke as I figured it still wasn't warm enough and started back on the road. Went probably another 1/4 of a mile and tried turning it down to 80%ish again and it stalled once more. Granted this may just be learning when the engine is actually warm and thats something I'll hopefully learn with time. My problem though is when it had full choke the engine was revving around 6k rpm. Even weirder was it was revving itself when I had the clutch in and coming to a stop. I rode it back home at this point probably 2 miles total. I turned the choke off and the bike was idling fine at 1.5k rpm but I didn't want to risk taking it to work. When I had full choke on there also seemed to be a bit of lack of response on the throttle. When I was sitting in my driveway after I shut the choke off I blipped the throttle a bit and it seemed to be ok.

So after my block of text I guess what I'm asking is there sometimes too cold for the ninja or is it something else, like my carbs need to be cleaned?
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Hi David,
On my 250R I start most days, except summer with full choke (Rhode Island). It typically revs up to about 4000 rpm once its warm. That takes about 5 minutes these mornings in the low 40s.It drops to 1500 rpm when i take it off choke. Whether the clutch is in or not the rpm will till be high with choke on. The lack of response under choke makes sense - keep in mind the carb is "choked" of air. Basically using the choke restricts the airflow into the carb and kicks up the idle speed. Once your idle dropped to 1500 rpm you should be fine. I have ridden just about every month the last 2 years so long as it was 30s and dry.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #3
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Thats good to know, so on colder mornings I should just leave the choke on for a good 5-10 minutes til I try to turn it down. Is it normal for the bike to still seem to rev even with the clutch pulled in during full choke?

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #4
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The clutch has nothing to do with idle speed or any other speed of the engine, whether it's in or out.
Start the bike with the choke, set it or adjust it to about 3000-3500 rpms. Let the bike warm up a minute or two, start to ride it, as it warms up, slowly diminish the choke setting, don't just turn it way down. Every minute or two, turn the choke down a little more, eventually turning it off. These bikes are all coldblooded and need some choke to run 'till they warm up.
There is nothing wrong with how your bike works, DO NOT start taking carbs apart, there is no reason to do that but it seems to be a fixation on this site. You can keep your carbs clean if you don't ride much by adding Berryman's B12 Chemtool or Seafoam, or Gumout in the recommended dose to the gas tank every 3 or 4 tankfuls.
Like I said, there is nothing wrong with your bike, do not mess with it - you have to learn how it works, and reading the owner's manual wouldn't hurt.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

I wouldn't run it under choke for 5-10 minutes. You should be all set within 5 minutes.

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
David, when it's that cold, start the bike on full choke. Let it stay on full choke until it will run without stalling. Slowly lower the choke as the bike warms up. I used to try to keep the revs at 1000-1500 (as I recall, it's been a while). You have to keep an eye on it or it will over rev, or stall. I always warm the bike up to proper temperature before I ride. If you ride before the temperture is up you could not only hurt the engine but you could be in a situation where you need throttle response and not have it.

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #7
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
The clutch has nothing to do with idle speed or any other speed of the engine, whether it's in or out.
Like I said, there is nothing wrong with your bike, do not mess with it - you have to learn how it works, and reading the owner's manual wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for the responses, I figured it was cause it was cold and I didn't let it warm up properly. I was planning on running some seafoam when I fill up next.

Thanks again,
David

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
. I always warm the bike up to proper temperature before I ride..

Would never start riding the bike with the choke on.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #9
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post

Would never start riding the bike with the choke on.

I'm going to third this, having your throttle stumble at the wrong moment could be a very bad thing. Warm up your machine then ride...

I've been riding in our rather chilly Michigan mornings and I'm not having issues, my Ninja's both start up easily without the choke and warm up quickly and are ready to ride in just a few minutes. But there again, I've been in the carbs to correct the Ninjettes inherent coldblooded nature...
QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You can start the bike with the choke, only let it sit for 1-2 min, then slowly go down the road with the choke on, gradually increasing speed after a block or two and slowly turn the choke down every few minutes 'till it's off. You don't have to have the bike running in the driveway for 5 min or more until it's completely warmed up. It may never warm up sitting there if it's really cold out and you will wait for quite a while just sitting there. If you can turn the choke down a little, and if the rpms stay at 2000-2500 or so, ride it, it won't stall, you're not going to hurt anything. If it stumbles, turn up the choke a tiny bit. You don't sit in the driveway with a cold car engine until it's totally warm, you start it, let it sit for 30 sec. or so, then drive away slowly letting it warm up. That's better for the car, same thing for the bike.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #11
riiken
Late Bloomer

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Bikes-less :(

I follow these instructions

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F
riiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

I always warm the car for a minute or two for a couple reasons, less than the car engine warming, and more for the oil to flow, especially cold thick oil.

Now the little 250 engine revs much higher than either of my 2 cars and I would rather the bike be warm and fully responsive when I hit the road.

Now one other thing, and I have never heard of this happening on a 4 stroke road bike but I have on water cooled 2 stroke dirt bikes - a cold seizure. A cold seizure happens when its cold out, the bike is first started, and some one rides away fast. The piston heats up much quicker (and expands) than the cylinder around it does and then you have a cold seizure. What it ever happen in our bikes? I have no idea.