ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Help! I need somebody, Help, Anybody!?

ooook guys, it figures a week before the meeting and my bike breaks down. Heres the story. went to ride to work this morning, got on it like normal, choke it crank it, and it turns over like its gonna start, but it doesnt. Try again, same thing. Try it again and all i get is a "Click".

Thought it was the battery, so I took the brand new battery outa my gf's 250 and same thing. Try my battery in hers and it works. so its not the battery.

the "Click" is coming from the starter relay. Took it off and switched em, and my relay works with hers, hers doesnt with mine. Not the relay.

Took the J-Box off hoping maybe its just corroded, its not, lubed it up and still "Click".

Any ideas please?!?!? I got exhuast coming saturday and was hoping to get that on for the dragon next weekend but if I cant get it figured out I'll have to take my other bike
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you tried switching rectifiers?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

nope, dont even know what it is, but my papi does! So we'll check that tomorrow.

Keep the ideas coming guys pleaseeeeeeeeee. Wanna get it up and going for next week.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Just take her bike
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #5
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Fuse box check?
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

+1 Check the main fuse, and the aux ones as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Just take her bike
I would but its lowered 3" and i bottom it out, PLUS no way i'd be able to get around those curves, if the ninja cant get fixed, I'll take the connie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
Fuse box check?
I've checked every single fuse and the main 30amp fuse. all looked ok.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I was riding around one day and the bike suddenly sputtered and died. Then refused to start for the next 10 minutes or so. It just took some time, I've never had a problem since. When it happened the ignition would roll over but not start. It may just be a hiccup in the system like mine. I hope so for your sake .

p.s. have you tried opening the gas cap to release pressure? I did that when mine died and it may have been the vacuum or something contributing to the bike not starting though it still took a few minutes for it to start after that.

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
p.s. have you tried opening the gas cap to release pressure? I did that when mine died and it may have been the vacuum or something contributing to the bike not starting though it still took a few minutes for it to start after that.
I know I have opened the gas cap, I know I'm kinda low on gas but its still in there. I hope its the recitifier and not hydrolocked..............Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion.

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #10
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You can jump directly to the starter and see if it turns over, ie., to see if the starter is good.
Have you tried to roll it in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear to see if the engine is locked up or seized?
You may have to pull a plug or both to make sure the engine will turn over.

BTW - releasing pressure (really vacuum) in the gas tank by opening the cap has nothing to do with the failure of the engine to turn over.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
You can jump directly to the starter and see if it turns over, ie., to see if the starter is good.
Have you tried to roll it in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear to see if the engine is locked up or seized?
You may have to pull a plug or both to make sure the engine will turn over.
Thanks for the info, I'll try to roll it in gear first, then I'll switch out rectifiers, then pull plugs.

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Have you tried switching rectifiers?
Rectifier has no role in cranking over the engine.

And I can't believe noone has told you to check the safety switches. If the bike was fine one minute and then all of a sudden won't start after being turned off, it's probably a safety switch.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
If the bike was fine one minute and then all of a sudden won't start after being turned off, it's probably a safety switch.
I'll add switches to the list too. Thing is, it wasnt turned off, the key wasnt switched off in between it "trying" to crank and then just the "click"

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #14
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Rectifier has no role in cranking over the engine.

And I can't believe noone has told you to check the safety switches. If the bike was fine one minute and then all of a sudden won't start after being turned off, it's probably a safety switch.
+1
start at the key and kill switch and follow the wires.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
like others said the clicking is your starter relay. if you hear it click that means your switches and everything are working and sending the stuff to the relay. your relay should connect your battery to your starter motor through a big fuse. its a very simple circuit, either your relay is bad (ruled out), your starter is bad or disconnected some how, or that fuse is blown... or the wiring is jacked... or your engine is seized.

you should still be able to jump start it

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
like others said the clicking is your starter relay. if you hear it click that means your switches and everything are working and sending the stuff to the relay. your relay should connect your battery to your starter motor through a big fuse. its a very simple circuit, either your relay is bad (ruled out), your starter is bad or disconnected some how, or that fuse is blown... or the wiring is jacked.

Thats what I was thinking with the switches. It is Clicking at the relay. The starter we took out of the bike yesterday and used a car battery and it rotated, but once we got it back in the bike we could never get it to do anything, with the bike battery or the car battery.......... Would this lead to bad wiring, or what does the starter "plug into?" The engine? Possible the starters working but not cranking the engine. In which case I need to see whats up with it.

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #17
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

The guy push starting the ninja, doesnt know how to do it. Its not that difficult. 1. You dont have to push it that hard and fast, just a simple roll will do it, its not a literbike. 2. You dont drop the clutch and leave it out. 3. Its best to actually GET ON the bike, not run beside it. If it fires in gear, it could leap out of your hands, and take off riderless.

When you drop the clutch, you just pop it for half a second to get the engine to turn over, and then quickly pull it back in so it can run. The ignition has to be on. And dont use the choke...start it with the choke off, then turn it on if needed to keep it running. If you push start it with the choke on, you could flood it if it doesnt start quickly.

edit...nevermind, alex removed the vid...
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #18
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
The guy push starting the ninja, doesnt know how to do it. Its not that difficult. 1. You dont have to push it that hard and fast, just a simple roll will do it, its not a literbike. 2. You dont drop the clutch and leave it out. 3. Its best to actually GET ON the bike, not run beside it. If it fires in gear, it could leap out of your hands, and take off riderless.

When you drop the clutch, you just pop it for half a second to get the engine to turn over, and then quickly pull it back in so it can run. The ignition has to be on. And dont use the choke...start it with the choke off, then turn it on if needed to keep it running. If you push start it with the choke on, you could flood it if it doesnt start quickly.

Hey Bryan, yea I've had to push start a bike before. My problem is I've got hills around the house, if it doesnt start and I get stuck down at the bottom of the hill, how am I gonna get it back up it?!?!?!?

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #19
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

For some reason I didn't think of this reading your post last night...

My 2004 gave me some issues starting a few times (well over course of 2 days).
It started to crank like it was going to start then went to clicks only. Through messing with it, I found the kickstand up had some effect, but did not fix the issue 100%. I then went through checking all the safety relays.
When I got the the kickstand safety thing, having to take the stand off to get it off, w/ that unpulgged it fired right up everytime. Cleaned that piece and re-assembled and had no prob since.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
For some reason I didn't think of this reading your post last night...

My 2004 gave me some issues starting a few times (well over course of 2 days).
It started to crank like it was going to start then went to clicks only. Through messing with it, I found the kickstand up had some effect, but did not fix the issue 100%. I then went through checking all the safety relays.
When I got the the kickstand safety thing, having to take the stand off to get it off, w/ that unpulgged it fired right up everytime. Cleaned that piece and re-assembled and had no prob since.
Hmmmm dad has had problems with his kickstand safety switch before on his bike, but it wouldnt let him start it out of gear. I'll check it too.

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Hey Bryan, yea I've had to push start a bike before. My problem is I've got hills around the house, if it doesnt start and I get stuck down at the bottom of the hill, how am I gonna get it back up it?!?!?!?
yeah i've been there... the only answer i've come up with is a truck

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it sounds like one of two things, the wiring for the starter, or something keeping the engine from rotating... have you tried pushing it in gear? does it move at all? if it does i would think the only thing left since you know your relay and starter and battery work is the wiring or fuse between them... do you have a multimeter? disconnect the relay and the starter and test the wiring between

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post

haha yeah i posted that vid before watching it... *facepalm*

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #24
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it sounds like one of two things, the wiring for the starter, or something keeping the engine from rotating... have you tried pushing it in gear? does it move at all? if it does i would think the only thing left since you know your relay and starter and battery work is the wiring or fuse between them... do you have a multimeter? disconnect the relay and the starter and test the wiring between
I moved the bike around yesterday, but Im thinking it was in neutral. I'll try when I get home to get it in 4,5,or 6th gear and move it around.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #25
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Ok, its not the rectifier, also any ideas on how to get it into 2nd? It wont go. Tried to push start it in 1st and dropped it (yea not a smart move). But it wont go up into 2nd.

ok also dads trying to jump the circuits on the starter relay but it's not sparking or anything. This is leading us to the wiring. Wered be the best place to dig in?

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i usually have to hold the clutch halfway in and rock the bike to get it into second with the bike off...

i would start by taking your plug off the starter and putting your multimeter to the highest dc amp setting it will go and while taking a reading, hit your starter. when it clicks, you should see no current if we're on the right track, from there take the connections off your relay and check each wire's continuity (resistance check) from the relay side to the starter motor side. no continuity? bad wire.

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #27
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You are totally wasting your time unless you can find out if your engine is seized. Roll the bike a little and get it to go into 2nd gear, then shift up until you are at least in 4th. or 5th, let out the clutch and see if you can roll the bike and turn the engine over. If you can get it all the way up the 6th and you can't roll it in gear, then you have another problem and all the time and energy you are expending now is a waste.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #28
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
You are totally wasting your time unless you can find out if your engine is seized. Roll the bike a little and get it to go into 2nd gear, then shift up until you are at least in 4th. or 5th, let out the clutch and see if you can roll the bike and turn the engine over. If you can get it all the way up the 6th and you can't roll it in gear, then you have another problem and all the time and energy you are expending now is a waste.
I honestly dont think its seized, when we were trying to jump start it (couldnt get it into 2nd) I pulled out the clutch and the engine turned over.......right before it slid out under me.

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you would also hear more than just a click from the relay if the motor was actually trying to turn the engine. you would hear that awesome repeating whineclickclick noise that you get from a halted starter motor

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #30
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

YEAH ITS FIXED!!!!!!! I feel like a complete idiot though The kill switch was off the whole time.............JUST KIDDING. Dad tried jumping it straight from the relay to a battery to bypass all the switches, and it still wouldnt work....so we took apart the starter, and the brush plates were sticking. Its weird becuase when we took the starter out the first time and used a battery it spun freely, but we cleaned them and now shes running!!!!!! I'll order a plate just in case but

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Now, I got my 15t front today, and gettin the Area P exhaust in (hopefully) tomorrow then I'll be ready for the rally!

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
nice work

Old July 29th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #33
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Starter brush plates sticking ... I'll add that to the odd things to check when the bike won't start.

Tenacity pays off.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote