ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Corbin VS. Spencer's Seat Mods

I'm looking into getting some techspecs and a seat mod to improve comfort for extended rides. I heard Spencer has fast turnaround and is really good quality, as well as maintains your seat's stock shape. I've heard very few complaints about Corbin as well, but the price difference is dramatic.

Anyone able to shed some light on this situation?
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I had Spencer mod the seat on my SV650 a few years back with the gel foam - huge improvement and looks completely stock.

There have been some questionable reviews about Corbin, and the way the seat fits the SV, as well as possibly a few customer service reviews that were not favorable.

If I had to do it again I'd go with Spencer's.

Last futzed with by jkv45; January 16th, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I love my Corbin seat. It's comfy and good looking. I got mine for free though so I dunno how fair my opinion is lol.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #4
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Renazco seats is the tops IMO. Doggie Pooch is sending them one to do after several others failed to satisfy him.

http://www.renazco.com/

I've posted pics of mine somewhere here. I'll add ones I just took for DP yesterday in a minute. He just got a build date in Feb. which is a really good for them considering 6 months + is common wait time.

You can see in my pics below I had 1.5" in height added and I did the same for the passenger seat. Both are a non issue now. I would actually add a total of 2.5" if I did it again for the legroom in the seat to peg ergos.

I asked for the plain, stock style cover to avoid seams. He can do anything so use your imagination. Carbon looking vinyl, suede, colors, different stitching. Anything goes.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #5
old3
ninjette.org sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #6
old3
ninjette.org sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #7
old3
ninjette.org sage

Old January 16th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Thanks for the input so far guys.

@Alex I just realized I posted this in 300 Farkles by mistake. I own a two-fiddy haha.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Luckily it applies to both machines, personally I'd go with a Spencer's seat and will at some point when my ungrateful bum starts complaining enough to go without riding for a week or so. I've heard more bad things about Corbin than good recently, at least in comparison to Spencer especially considering the price difference.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #10
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Hmmm. Well we're in for a cold week so I might go forth with Spencer and give a whirl. I'm leaning towards him since comments stated Corbin has been "iffy" lately. The renazco looks nice, but the wait period and the fact that it's seude is off-putting. I already dislike having to keep my gel pad out of the rain haha. The pad I have is "okay". It doesn't really help relieve pain, it just delays the discomfort by about 45 minutes. And it also raises me a solid inch up which can my BP a little discomforting.

So I'll send off my seat Monday and post results when I get it back. I'm going to get the Supracor installed for extra comfort.

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
You should send in the passenger seat too, it's not much more $ and any passengers you may have will thank you for it (if you tell them of course)

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
You should send in the passenger seat too, it's not much more $ and any passengers you may have will thank you for it (if you tell them of course)
I didn't even think of that. I haven't had passengers so far, but that's not a bad idea at all . It's still marginally cheaper than Corbin.

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
I didn't even think of that. I haven't had passengers so far, but that's not a bad idea at all . It's still marginally cheaper than Corbin.
Just remember to read up on 2up rules before taking a passenger.
http://rideapart.com/2013/11/prepare...torcycle-ride/
Rideapart is one of my favorite moto news sites and they have tons of great informative articles like this one.

@Motofool probably has a few links for advice on riding 2up, one important thing to remember though is that your brakes won't work as well and you'll want to be as smooth as possible with them to avoid helmet knocking.

Old January 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
............Rideapart is one of my favorite moto news sites and they have tons of great informative articles like this one.
Very good site and link

Here you are:

http://198.50.222.41/forums/showthread.php?p=778179

http://www.motomom.ca/hello-world/

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103787

http://www.sportrider.com/riding_tip...cle_passenger/

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53726
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

I'm still aiming to get a Saddlemen myself. MMMMM memory foam and gel.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Just sent out my seat today (holy crap it took a while to sort out UPS :P. I work in a warehouse so I'm used to it being a very quick process)
Riding home was a very interesting experience as well.. I had my gel seat to put over the battery but it was pretty awkward haha. I actually made it all the way home before my boss called and said I could park it in the warehouse for a week. Going to try and beat the snow storm tomorrow and ride back to park it in the warehouse.

Tl;dr

Sent out seat, should be back in a week, will review then.

Old January 20th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #17
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Riding seatless? At least it isn't a bicycle
Congrats on getin a place to park and a new seat

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
congrats on finding a place to park, I'm off work tomorrow and got mine to fit in a very small spot between my parents cars in their garage in exchange for shoveling (which I would do anyway)

you should grab an old pillow or something and duct tape it down as your temporary seat for shits and giggles.

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #19
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Riding seatless? At least it isn't a bicycle
Congrats on getin a place to park and a new seat

Quote:
congrats on finding a place to park, I'm off work tomorrow and got mine to fit in a very small spot between my parents cars in their garage in exchange for shoveling (which I would do anyway)

you should grab an old pillow or something and duct tape it down as your temporary seat for shits and giggles.
Haha I like that idea!

And yeah I'm glad I found a place to park as well. With all the snow coming to maryland, plus two weeks of below 30 weather, my bike and my backyard say "no bueno"

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
just invest in these and you should be fine riding in sub 30 degree weather

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #21
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
just invest in these and you should be fine riding in sub 30 degree weather
Oh I have had my fair share of sub 30 riding haha. It's just not very comfortable at 130lbs . I usually wear a t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, 3 thermal long-sleeves, a hoodie, and my A* jacket with winter liner. As well as thermal leggings and pajama pants under my jeans and a half-balaclava. The little bit of fun factor isn't worth it . Though I might take the bike out for a 5 min spin with the new seat. Spencer is familiar with the 250R seat and gave a nice explanation of what it will be like.

"Your '10 Kawasaki 250R rider seat actually has a decent amount of seat depth to work with relative to other current sport bikes so takes to modification well but a touring seat it will never be The dual section 250R rider seat is typically reshaped internally with slightly more rearward bias, for better support, and to help distribute your weight across the entire available width of the seat rather than concentrating it on the crowned center without effecting the nose shape so you will still have freedom of movement in the twisties and enhanced position and comfort. This angle correction will help allot with the slide to the tank giving you more of a correct neutral position. The Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the riders section that takes a set it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. With this seats already shallow depth it would remain stock height."

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I weigh around 130lbs so I know how cold it is, I doubt it's comfortable for anyone other than those old guys on bmw's that have heated everything.

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #23
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
I weigh around 130lbs so I know how cold it is, I doubt it's comfortable for anyone other than those old guys on bmw's that have heated everything.
Or people like this.

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #24
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
...I doubt it's comfortable for anyone other than those old guys on bmw's that have heated everything.
No need to be hatin' on the BMW riders! Or old guys, for that matter. Any of us can buy an electric vest or jacket liner and electric gloves. Money well spent if you ride regularly in cold weather. Wore the old electric Widder vest, sleeves, and gloves on a 37 F Ninjette ride Saturday.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
These crazy weather people say it's supposed to snow here I'm ready to warm weather and sunshine again

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #26
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
No need to be hatin' on the BMW riders! Or old guys, for that matter. Any of us can buy an electric vest or jacket liner and electric gloves. Money well spent if you ride regularly in cold weather. Wore the old electric Widder vest, sleeves, and gloves on a 37 F Ninjette ride Saturday.
just some stereotype usage, they're the only people I've met who are typically prepared with stuff like that. While it is a good investment I can't really invest in everything so I'll likely finish up this winter without a heated vest (note: I do have heated gloves that I wear under my gloves)

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #27
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

The seat came back today! One day earlier than I had planned.
There is a break-in period, a few gas tanks or so, but it already feels fantastic.

I decided not to send in my passenger seat, so luckily it was there for comparison. Oh my god the supracor feels great compared to stock foam. You can sit on the stock seat and feel that your ass is going to hurt in 30-45 minutes. I sit on the new seat and it is great, and will only get better as it breaks in.

But overall, I definitely definitely definitely recommend sending your seat to Spencer for a great bang for your buck deal. I have never sat on a Corbin, but I guarantee I am glad I didn't spend $300+. This seat only cost me $75+Shipping to and from. Roughly $100 or so. Definitely good service and a good seat.

I will write a full in-depth review after the break-in period, along with pics and such (seat retained stock shape).

Old January 30th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #28
willi777
ninjette.org member

Name: Willie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 500, VFR750

Thanks for posting your impressions. Have heard nothing but good things about Spencer's work- my seat will be next in line
willi777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Looking forward to the in-depth review, the price is fairly convincing for spencer's and the stock seat is rather uncomfortable after 2-3 hours.

Old February 16th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #30
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Always loved my Corbin. I haven't heard anything negative about them lately... what's up?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #31
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
The only real negative thing about corbin is the price, spencer's seems to be comparable though I'm content with the stock seat for now. me loco

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #32
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
The only real negative thing about corbin is the price, spencer's seems to be comparable though I'm content with the stock seat for now. me loco
I rode OEM for a long time too, but had no idea what a difference a good seat makes until I got one. I used to get sore pretty quickly on the stock seat, but if you're content with it there's no reason to spend more money.

Last futzed with by headshrink; February 17th, 2014 at 01:19 AM.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #33
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Corbin really is overpriced, but I am glad to have bought one. They take a while to "wear-in", but I can ride all day long now.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #34
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Always loved my Corbin. I haven't heard anything negative about them lately... what's up?
I'm not the only one that has heard rumors of poor customer service from Corbin, but it sounds like it may be improving - http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247473
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #35
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Spencer's does great work. Had my seat done last year and my behind has thanked me every since.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2014, 11:15 AM   #36
Mjj
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Just got my seat back from Spencer. Can't speak to the Corbin or other mods, but the work performed by Spencer was first rate. Just starting the break in process now, but it is a substantial change.

I use the bike mainly for trips around town. Occasionally I'll go for a nice ride. The stock seat was really uncomfortable...something had to be done. I really didn't feel like pumping $300 into a custom seat, so I was really happy to read about Spencer. It looks completely stock, so if that is the look you are going for, look no further. If not for the new staples, you can't tell anything was done by looking at it. You sure can by sitting on the bike though.

Did I mention how seriously fast he is? Solid recommendation. With shipping it was less than $100.

Now I'm on to new brake lines....
Mjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #37
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Does anyone have pictures of Spencer's seats, done to their bike(s) and care to share? An in-depth review after break-in and riding a few hundred miles, would be appreciated. The next mod I will do is the seat and I'm looking at all the options (Corbin, Spencer, Saddleman, etc) plus cost and overall good service.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #38
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ paging @Sykes92
I'm interested as well since I'll be making more free spending $$$ this summer than I am now and should be able to invest in a few mods.

Old April 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #39
willi777
ninjette.org member

Name: Willie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 500, VFR750

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of Spencer's seats, done to their bike(s) and care to share?
He keeps the seat looking stock, so unless you get it lowered, it will look just like a stock seat.

Mjj
Quote:
It looks completely stock, so if that is the look you are going for, look no further.
jkv45
Quote:
I had Spencer mod the seat on my SV650 a few years back with the gel foam - huge improvement and looks completely stock.
willi777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #40
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I still want pics (in-depth one's at that, close-ups, etc), I'm a visual person.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote