ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 24th, 2022, 08:00 AM   #1
Carburhater
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250 beater

Need help diagnosing starting problem....

Oh gosh, where to even start in all this...

Picked up a yellow 2006 250 last summer as alternate transportation vs my gas thirsty truck (1.5 hours commute every day). Rode it all fall, rode it all spring.

It MAY BE the world's most beat-on 250. It came to me as someone's starter bike, with both turn signals broke off and half a year of neglected storage. Then I learned to ride on it! One hard drop, busted the cowling and right peg bracket, bent handle bar... glad I was dressed for the slide, not the ride! Probably 20/30 mph when I went down.

That was 4,000 miles ago! It had 10k when I bought it, on around 16,000 right now.

I LOVE the 250. I love that it's EXACTLY the right amount of speed for me. I genuinely don't even want a bike with higher top speed, this keeps up on the highway just fine! But because Im using 100% of it all the dang time, Im wearing the poor thing out.

Anyway, I could go on about the abuse... but last week, sitting in construction, she finally overheated and the motor seized. This week, I picked up a donor bike from the local motorcycle graveyard that I was told had a good motor in it (it had been wrecked), and yesterday swapped it in.

Still cant get it to crank.

Gas is good (although I havent connected the tank yet, I just wanted to see if it would crank before finishing reassembly), carbs are clean, battery is fully charged, tried jumping from my truck battery, etc. Same result: some starter motor clickings, but no crank. And, sometimes a concerning whine? Swapped out the donor starter with the starter from the original motor that I knew worked, and again, same result.

Am I unlucky enough to have TWO seized motors on my hands now? Is it worth tearing them apart and rebuilding one?

It's well worth noting that the old motor had been sitting in this scrap yard outside for who knows how long. The one air intake port on the engine that WAS covered was full of nasty brown water, and one of the valves had some visible rust on it. I treated it with some CLR and cleaned it out really good, definitely reducing the rust, but I'm afraid there is more rust I can't see/treat. I wanted to put my engine's plugs in the older engine, but I don't have the bit for them, and plugs shouldn't effect cranking anyway, right?

Neither engine will allow the bike to roll in 1st gear, so I can't push start.

Is it worth rebuilding the motors? Or should I take my loss, sell it to someone who's got the time for it, and start saving for a 650? This little bike has serious sentimental value to me, but I also am weighing that against my very evident need for something bigger... I'm moving to Atlanta next week (from Maine) and will really rely on a bike for work for gas, but at the same time I've already put too much money into THIS bike...

Any insight and wisdom would be massively appreciated...
Carburhater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2022, 08:50 AM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Wow, that's a go of it. My condolences.
First, be careful jumping a bike off a car/truck. Definitely don't do it with the car running. This can absolutely fry your bike's electronics (I've seen it done).
With a fresh battery, hook up your gas tank and make sure the vacuum operated petcock is hooked up correctly to the carbs. Is there rust in the tank? Are your filters clear? Just a good thing to confirm. Have you checked the status of the valve clearances on the new engine? Check them cold, of course, just so you're not fighting tight valves that would prevent you from starting the engine.
Can you turn the motor by hand? This is really critical, as you will want to listen for any knocking sounds in the crank and up by the valves.
Bummer luck, but hopefully you can get it sorted. Just try to step back and look at the big picture.

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Carburhater
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you for the response!

Filters and tank and carbs are all good... actually added a fuel filter after the petcock to keep any debris out of the carbs, and its working well.

How can I turn my motor by hand? I cannot turn it my moving the tire in 1st gear (and cant shift out if 1st/neutral), is there another way I am supposed to do it?

And valve clearences... something I'm going to have to take the motor out again to check?

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:12 AM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

There is a plastic plug in the stator cover that you can remove. Underneath that is a nut on the crankshaft to turn the motor. Check the manual, it will tell you what direction to turn the motor and how to read the timing marks. You will need to study this before addressing your valve clearances. There is plenty of info here on the site for this. You will need some good feeler gauges and a deep 1/4" drive 9mm socket. You can do this with the motor in the bike.

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:18 AM   #5
Carburhater
ninjette.org newbie

Do I need to drain oil before taking the cover off, or am I good to just start unscrewing?

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:21 AM   #6
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I don't think you have to. I did but that was for another reason, but that plug is above the oil level so you should be fine.
If you removed the stator cover, then you would have to drain the oil, but you should be good. And if I'm wrong, the oil will drain itself

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:27 AM   #7
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

If you really just want to turn the motor (to see if it's stuck!), put the trans in 3rd and rotate the back wheel. Bikes are hard to push in 1st. A higher gear makes it easier.

Old May 24th, 2022, 12:55 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This section on Ninja250.org will help - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote