ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
sirlayon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

My dad backed into my bike.

My dad backed into my Ninja 250r a few minutes ago. It fell on it's right side. I looked on the ground after I lifted it up in case anything came loose. I found these two pieces.

I also looked at, for lack of a better word, screw on the right side of the front wheel and something on it is moving and I can wiggle it around with my finger.

I've only started riding and I have no idea what these are or if they're even part of the bike. So I need help with knowing what these parts are and if I should get anything on the bike fixed.
sirlayon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

That's called a 'cotter pin.' It's commonly found on axles (which it is on). It locks the castle nut (because it looks like a crenellated parapet on a castle) in place by passing through a hole in the axle and two slots in the castle nut. The cotter pin's two tines are separated outwards to lock the pin in place. Since it doesn't completely fill the hole, it's free to jiggle around.

As for the two items in the top picture, I have NO idea what those are.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Jay!

You have a black bike? Because one of those items looks like a black crayon. Some sort of paint touch up pen thing maybe???? Not sure what the other thing is either. Is it rusty, because it looks that way?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

cotter pins are easy to replace. You can get them for like .89 cents to 2 bucks from a dealer. Even autozone carries them. As for the first picture, I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps another picture from a different angle? I can't make out what it is and I take my bike apart quite often. In fact, it was completely stripped today (maintenance)
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
zCasanova
ninjette.org member

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r

The black plastic piece is part of a push pin rivet. You can find them on the left and right fairings, where they connect to the black radiator cowling.
zCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
sirlayon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Yes, the bike is black.

I posted the same topic over on KawiForums and the guys there are saying the rusty piece isn't from the bike, but is in fact an old allen bit for a hex driver.

Should the black piece go back on the bike and if so where?
sirlayon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
zCasanova
ninjette.org member

I don't know what you mean.

Find this piece:

It's behind the front wheel. Those push pin rivets attach it to your left and right fairings. Locate the empty hole, and put it back in.

And I agree with the other guy, that top piece is too rusted to belong on your bike. I doubt parts were flying off of the bike, it isn't like you dropped it off the top of a building, your dad knocked it over.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

That rusted bit definitely isn't a bike part. Looks like a tip for a screwdriver.
The cotter pin should wiggle just a little, but should not be able to come out. And the two legs (opposite the loop) should be pretty bent, to keep it in place.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #9
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCasanova View Post
The black plastic piece is part of a push pin rivet. You can find them on the left and right fairings, where they connect to the black radiator cowling.
It definitely doesn't look like a push pin rivet... Can you please take a better pic? I really doubt either of those are bike bits... If your bike didn't fall too hard, may be nothing is broken... Good luck and have your dad get a rear parking sensor

Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Shikari99
ninjette.org member

Name: Shikari

Motorcycle(s): 11' 250R

Rusted one looks like just a old hex bit
Shikari99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #11
zCasanova
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
It definitely doesn't look like a push pin rivet... Can you please take a better pic? I really doubt either of those are bike bits... If your bike didn't fall too hard, may be nothing is broken... Good luck and have your dad get a rear parking sensor

There's one from my bike.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #12
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCasanova View Post

There's one from my bike.
I know what it looks like, the one is his pic is all too straight with no cuts/grooves :P unfortunately I have opened/closed my fairings a bit too many times... lol

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I know what it looks like, the one is his pic is all too straight with no cuts/grooves :P unfortunately I have opened/closed my fairings a bit too many times... lol
I think it's just a bad picture. Anyway, that other part people are so sure isn't from the bike looks an awful lot like one of the posts that a fender reflector goes into. If the previous owner unscrewed the reflector it may have left a threaded post and left it loose enough to fall out when dropped.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote