ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Dogbones finally finished!

I've finally finished the PROTOTYPE dog bones that raise the back end of the ninja 250. Notice I said prototype, as in these are not perfected. I have 10 pairs, and I'd like feedback from the people who install them, so I can improve the next generation, but I've got a feeling that everyone will be happy with them. Naturally, if there are improvements to be made, I will offer an exchange program from the prototype to the production parts for those who buy these. Feedback is appreciated from racers, trackday riders and street riders alike.

They lift the back of the bike by approximately 1.25" and improve turn-in and front grip tremendously. I currently have these installed with a GSXR rear shock and 22mm of fork tube showing above the top triple tree, and the bike handles amazingly. Turn in is effortless, footpeg and exhaust clearance is improved, and if the bike is too twitchy, you can raise up the front end a bit which only helps clearance more!

Offered at $25/pair for the prototypes, chances are the production ones will be more expensive!

Email me at steve@polymotoengineering.com if you'd like to purchase.

Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Email sent
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've got a pregen and a newgen both with newgen suspension. Would it be possible to get two different lengths? I'd like to experiment a bit and see what it would take to get a newgen hugger on a pregen. Ideally, I'd like one set of these and another set that raises a full two inches.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Does $25 include the trophy?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
+1.25" in the rear and -0.8" in the front puts it at around 23d rake? i'm wondering what the trail would be with that... too late for me to figure it out in my head

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #6
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

I was just reading on this, and some articles said that raising the front increases the distance between the seat and the pegs, is this correct? I need a tiny bit more space for my legs to make my ride perfect.

Also, if im used to the bike's stock handing, will installing this make it dangerously different?

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I was just reading on this, and some articles said that raising the front increases the distance between the seat and the pegs, is this correct? I need a tiny bit more space for my legs to make my ride perfect.

Also, if im used to the bike's stock handing, will installing this make it dangerously different?
Few could possibly be as used to the stock handling as me and yet I'm changing everything in one fell swoop (clip-ons, fork preload spacers, rearset adjusters, and raised rear suspension).

Old June 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #8
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Few could possibly be as used to the stock handling as me and yet I'm changing everything in one fell swoop (clip-ons, fork preload spacers, rearset adjusters, and raised rear suspension).
I'm tempted at $25 to just buy these, I guess I'll just have to experiment with the new handling if I do.

But if any one can confirm these provide any additional amount of legroom between seat and pegs I'll purchase them for sure.

Old June 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Momaru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I'm tempted at $25 to just buy these, I guess I'll just have to experiment with the new handling if I do.

But if any one can confirm these provide any additional amount of legroom between seat and pegs I'll purchase them for sure.
I would think they do not alter the seat-footpeg distance, as the seat and pegs are mounted to the same frame, with no expansion or hinge joints between them.

Love the idea Rexbo, hope these sell well!

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #10
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I would think they do not alter the seat-footpeg distance, as the seat and pegs are mounted to the same frame, with no expansion or hinge joints between them.

Love the idea Rexbo, hope these sell well!
Makes total sense, thanks.

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
+1.25" in the rear and -0.8" in the front puts it at around 23d rake? i'm wondering what the trail would be with that... too late for me to figure it out in my head
Don't know the numbers, but however it works out, the combination works for me on track

They don't change any legroom distance, rearsets can do that for you though.

CZRoe: I can machine any length needed, but if you want one-offs they will cost more.

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hmmm... i think 23d rake with stock 250 triple offsets should put the trail at right about 3" at rest. the travel on the forks stock is like 4.7 inches so trailing it in should have you about in the middle right? lets say 2 inch compression, so on the brakes turn in would be at 21d rake with a bit higher than a 2" trail??? sounds like fun! lol

if i remember right the motogp bikes run 23ish rake at about 3.2" trail. i had mine setup almost the same but i had the r1 shock, with the r1 knuckle which killed the rear travel down to 95mm which i didnt like compared to stock so i switched back. the geometry was great though. now i need a gsxr shock to put on with my stock knuckle. :/

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Don't know the numbers, but however it works out, the combination works for me on track

They don't change any legroom distance, rearsets can do that for you though.

CZRoe: I can machine any length needed, but if you want one-offs they will cost more.
Hmm. Considering that I was hoping for a discount if I buy two, I'll probably go with Soupy's adjustable links if I need to pay more to raise more (the ones they make for EX250J can't raise but they do make custom links).

I should probably order two of what you got though (1.25" *may* be enough clearance for a hugger on a pregen). Message sent.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 20th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Old June 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

This first batch of 10 I'm selling at pretty much no profit, really just to see what kind of feedback I get. The next version may have two different lengths, different finish, slightly different design. It all depends on feedback, the price of future parts all depends on what changes are made.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
This first batch of 10 I'm selling at pretty much no profit, really just to see what kind of feedback I get. The next version may have two different lengths, different finish, slightly different design. It all depends on feedback, the price of future parts all depends on what changes are made.
All the more incentive to get my valuable feedback on raising it more and having reason to raise it more (pregen hugger).

Old June 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

only 2 pairs left! These are going quicker than I thought!

Old June 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #17
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Give me a shock to use them with and I"ll take it off your hands

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #18
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

SOLD OUT.

I'll make the next batch with modifications if needed and post them up here and on the website. Thanks to everyone who ordered, they shipped yesterday, I'll send out individual tracking numbers tonight. Please provide feedback/dislikes/improvements/suggestions to me and the type of riding that you do, and I'll do my best to improve the design!

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
zCasanova
ninjette.org member

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r

Someone put up a pic when they're installed.
zCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #20
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Got my gixxer 600 shock and the 03/04 gixxer 1000 spring on the way. Really looking to see how this set up works. If I get it done soon, I'll post pics.

Old June 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #21
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Got the dog bones today....they look real good. Hope to get the new shock on next week.

Old June 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

When mine get in they are going one bike with a stock shock and one with a gsxr shock, will provide feedback on both.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
SOLD OUT.

I'll make the next batch with modifications if needed and post them up here and on the website. Thanks to everyone who ordered, they shipped yesterday, I'll send out individual tracking numbers tonight. Please provide feedback/dislikes/improvements/suggestions to me and the type of riding that you do, and I'll do my best to improve the design!
Was I part of the first wave? It looks like they shipped on the 26th. I sent payment fror two sets on the 24th and never got a tracking number. If I have to wait longer for mine, it's no big deal. I'm just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
When mine get in they are going one bike with a stock shock and one with a gsxr shock, will provide feedback on both.
You ordered two as well, huh? One of mine is going on a pregen with newgen shock and swingarm so I can experiment with a hugger and the other is going on a newgen just to change the ergos (showing off undertail and hugger = side effect )

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #24
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Haven't had a chance to get these on but did recieve them in the mail.

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #25
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
One of mine is going on a pregen with newgen shock and swingarm so I can experiment with a hugger and the other is going on a newgen just to change the ergos (showing off undertail and hugger = side effect )
the higher will fit in front of the wheel with a raised tail and some creative cutting of the undertail. The hard part is clearance on the exhaust if your hugger has any kind of fake beefier swingarm attatched to it. Use a Scotts hugger or something similar. That will be your best shot.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #26
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Was I part of the first wave? It looks like they shipped on the 26th. I sent payment fror two sets on the 24th and never got a tracking number. If I have to wait longer for mine, it's no big deal. I'm just curious.
I definitely shipped yours out, I'll send a tracking number when I got home.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #27
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Y u no bring my dogbones to M1GP race?

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #28
NorCal_250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 650R, 08 Ninja 250R, 00 Aprilia SR50 (dead)

Man i wish these were legal to use in AFM. The rules to not allow modification to the dogbones is pretty crazy.
NorCal_250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #29
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Just IMHO, anyone using these needs longer hardware then the stock versions. I was a little uneasy about putting them on with so few threads to attach the fasteners due to the extra width of the new dogbones, and then my fears were confirmed when taking the fasteners to their 44 ftlb setting I stripped the bolt, there were only three or four threads engaging.

Excited about the dogbones, but anyone that hasn't started yet, I recommend longer fasteners.

Old July 15th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Track bike, Honda CRF250r Dirt bike

Quote:
I've finally finished the PROTOTYPE dog bones that raise the back end of the ninja 250. Notice I said prototype, as in these are not perfected. I have 10 pairs, and I'd like feedback from the people who install them, so I can improve the next generation, but I've got a feeling that everyone will be happy with them. Naturally, if there are improvements to be made, I will offer an exchange program from the prototype to the production parts for those who buy these. Feedback is appreciated from racers, trackday riders and street riders alike.

They lift the back of the bike by approximately 1.25" and improve turn-in and front grip tremendously. I currently have these installed with a GSXR rear shock and 22mm of fork tube showing above the top triple tree, and the bike handles amazingly. Turn in is effortless, footpeg and exhaust clearance is improved, and if the bike is too twitchy, you can raise up the front end a bit which only helps clearance more!

Offered at $25/pair for the prototypes, chances are the production ones will be more expensive!

Email me at steve@polymotoengineering.com if you'd like to purchase.

@Rexbo when you measure the 22mm above the top tree... where are you measuring from? the front, center, or rear part of the fork tube? i only ask because the top of the tube is not parallel with the surface of the top tree.
Zyconic17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Good question. Side where the triple tree split is.

Old July 19th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #32
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Track bike, Honda CRF250r Dirt bike

Quote:
Good question. Side where the triple tree split is.
thanks! that helped. now i have an idea about why my bike feels like a pig! i have stock rear ride height and 11mm above triple trees! are your dogbones designed to work with stock shock or just the modified shock you are using?
Zyconic17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #33
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Got mine installed but have not ridden yet. Some additional notes:. They end up very close to the stock spring, I think I may put a spacer in now that I have longer fasteners on the bike. Also really surprised at how much a difference it makes in rear ride height with the stock shock. I am 5'11" with a 32 inseam and I can barely flat foot with boots on (couldn't with flip flops in the garage). I have stock everything else suspension wise but that will change little by little in the coming months. I will inspect one more time and try and ride tomorrow.

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Nice. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a pregen frame gutted and ready to go with a newgen swingarm. I'll take before and after shots when I install the dogbones, which the USPS is still taking their time with.

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM   #35
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a pregen frame gutted and ready to go with a newgen swingarm. I'll take before and after shots when I install the dogbones, which the USPS is still taking their time with.
Should be there any minute! They're taking their sweet time thats for sure...

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM   #36
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Got mine installed but have not ridden yet. Some additional notes:. They end up very close to the stock spring, I think I may put a spacer in now that I have longer fasteners on the bike. Also really surprised at how much a difference it makes in rear ride height with the stock shock. I am 5'11" with a 32 inseam and I can barely flat foot with boots on (couldn't with flip flops in the garage). I have stock everything else suspension wise but that will change little by little in the coming months. I will inspect one more time and try and ride tomorrow.
Yes a spacer is recommended, and be ready for the steering to be WAY more responsive

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM   #37
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Okay so I went out for a 2 hr test ride that included 15 to 35 mph twists, 55 mph sweepers, and a bit of highway riding.

Bike is a 09 with full ex, pods, jet kit; stock suspension and tires, clip ons and rear sets. Forks were left in the stock position and preload is maxed as I am 210 lbs. Bike experience includes SS, Sport, and Cruisers and also track days.

As mentioned previously the increase in rear ride was substantial making it a bit more difficult to flat foot. Not a problem for me but could be for shorter folk. Got the bike moving underway and immediately noticed a decrease in straight line stability and the bike was noticeably twitchier. Not to the extent of being dangerous but a bit unnerving at first.

The bike seemed to require less input to initiate the sweepers but found myself over committing with initial inputs to the bars. To be expected with the geometry changes and after the first few miles I was well adjusted to the change. The tighter turns really highlighted the bikes new willingness to change direction quickly. The bike fell into corners quickly and held its line without as much bar input. Transitions were quicker and more direct but the speed also seemed to unsettled the bike when going from one side to another more so than stock. Prior to the links the bike still wanted to wander a little wide on exit, and that has been greatly improved.

The bike also did not appreciate sloppiness with adjustment inputs after turn in. The front end felt ever worse with the additional loading. Getting the front sorted and greater confidence with corner entry would really let the bike dive in fast and deep.

Definitely a great addition but probably a bit much for stock front suspension and tires.

Old July 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #38
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Awesome, thanks for the input! If you think its too twitchy, you can always drop the forks down in the forks a few mm and that should help. Do you think a slightly longer dogbone would be better (this would reduce the amount the rear is raised).

Was the fitment with everything acceptable?

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #39
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Well i got my shock installed all stock, it would be interesting to here from PJED as he was at the track day with me 2 weeks ago.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #40
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Got mine Monday. Thanks! I'll be attempting to install the first set the first moment I have when it isn't well over 90 degrees.