ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Should I have parked in a "low-emission/fuel-efficient vehicle" parking space
Yes. The spot is designed so folks in SUVs/big trucks can't park there. 44 88.00%
No. By parking my bike there, I was acting like an asshole and should be towed 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

"This space RESERVED for low-emission and fuel-efficient vehicles only"

Disclaimer 1: I don't ride a 250/300 any more; I ride a bike that tends to eat premium fuel.

Disclaimer 2: Yes, I did go into the store in question and bought some sewing supplies.

So, I ended up parking in this spot in front of this store. It was right next to a handicapped spot, which parking in if you are not actually disabled or taking care of a disabled person is usually considered a bad idea. I would like to present two exhibits.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B (a closeup of the sign in question)

So, I have two questions, one of which will be in a poll.
1. (the poll question) Should I have parked in this spot, or was I acting like an by parking there?

2. Let's say that I park a Hummer H1 in the space in question. Does the shopping center or the store have the right to tow your vehicle away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-07 15.30.46.jpg (152.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-07 15.34.56.jpg (146.4 KB, 296 views)
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2
contact148
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 2013 GSXR 600

id park there but then again i also would park in the expectant mothers spots too (as theres no bylaw that says you cant hence no ticket) and when my wife and i had kids there was no special spot and we made out just fine
contact148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Nope, and Nope.

That's not a state-mandated sign, just some arsehat's really dumb idea.
Kinda like those ones that say "Reserved for Pregnant women".....
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact148 View Post
id park there but then again i also would park in the expectant mothers spots too (as theres no bylaw that says you cant hence no ticket) and when my wife and i had kids there was no special spot and we made out just fine
Granted, I would not park in a spot reserved for expectant mothers.

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Your bike is fuel efficient and low emission, I don't understand why this is an issue, why wouldn't you park there?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I've parked my full size sedan in the "Fuel Efficient" parking at school. I think 25mpg is pretty darn efficient for a such a big vehicle

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #7
leia
ninjette.org member

Name: Leia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I take bigger issue with the fact that you're going to Jo Ann Fabric. Yes fuel efficient, a-ok, and more bikes can share, more efficient.
leia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by leia View Post
I take bigger issue with the fact that you're going to Jo Ann Fabric. Yes fuel efficient, a-ok, and more bikes can share, more efficient.
tumblr_m30t8lTxll1qkk2it.gif
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I would say your vehicle qualifies to park in that spot.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #10
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Ooooh man have I got a story regrading these type of spaces....

At the University I work for, they have FEV (fuel efficient vehicle) spots. I used to park my bike there every night when I came into work. Sure enough, every morning I'd get a notice saying not to park there. They couldn't REALLY give me a ticket, but if they really wanted to, they could have towed me because they enforced the rules in that parking lot.

I complained almost daily with the manager who said this:
"We are using the listing provided by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEE). Their current list of qualified vehicles is attached, and is also at greenercars.org (go to the news&documents page, and look for LEED MY 2001-2012 Low Emission Vehicles)."

Of course, no motorcycles were listed. I showed them the stats of the motorcycle and to the best of my ability, put it in the same format as the charts they used. They still refused to acknowledge my motorcycle. This really annoyed me because MANY of the cars on that list were not as 'green' as my motorcycle was at the time. I'm not just talking MPG because there's more to it then that, but my emissions were also well above par.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I wouldn't park something like my 636 there, but if they are going to give individuals who drive eco vehicles special privileges, I felt myself and the many smell/medium motorcycle drivers there deserved them as well. After weeks of trying to state my case (for me and other moto riders), they decided to add motorcycle spots.... on the sidewalk.

Since then, I've moved on to a better job across the street, but it's nice to know that my complaints helped other riders who worked at that building. Even if it was just a couple of small spots on the sidewalk.

EDIT: You ride a Tuono. I am immensely jealous and changed my mind. Those spots are only for cars and people who don't own one of the all time best motorcycles ever.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I won't say I park all over the place... But ummm it's possible. Yes I'd park there!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

motorcycles are vehicles.
low emissions + fuel efficient. Anyone that gives you **** for parking there deserves a beating.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Jo-Ann must be from the 'greens' - low emissions and fuel efficient is a kind of public brain washing and nothing else.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

First, for anyone who says they park in certain spaces because they can't get a ticket, 2 things:

1. You're a dick.

2. They still have the right to tow you, each state has different laws that they have to follow, but they can get you.

Second, motorcycles are fuel efficient, but by and large they are not low emissions vehicles.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So I go to the mall and park. So we have;
Handicap spots
The totally ridiculous sideways spots that take up enough room for 4 cars
Family spots
Pregnant Women spots
FE vehicle spots
Pedal bike spots
Moto only spots

Enough yet? Sigh.... How bout, first come, first served. I walked by no less than 6 empty spots ahead of me to get to the door.

Them: I want equal treatment but special parking.
Me: No! we are equal, park like everyone else.
Them: But...
Me: Pick a standard and stick with it, don't be a hypocrite.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Not sure why it's a question whether or not you can park there. Not many places around here have those spaces (I live in Oklahoma. Not many fuel efficient vehicles), but if they did, I would use it even on my 600. Still fuel effecient compared to probably 90% of the cars on the road.

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
So I go to the mall and park. So we have;
Handicap spots
The totally ridiculous sideways spots that take up enough room for 4 cars
Family spots
Pregnant Women spots
FE vehicle spots
Pedal bike spots
Moto only spots

Enough yet? Sigh.... How bout, first come, first served. I walked by no less than 6 empty spots ahead of me to get to the door.

Them: I want equal treatment but special parking.
Me: No! we are equal, park like everyone else.
Them: But...
Me: Pick a standard and stick with it, don't be a hypocrite.
I have no problems with handicapped spots, and I like the idea of pregnant women spots, although that's one of those things that some would tend to abuse. My wife has had three kids and has never truly needed to park right up next to the store, but sometimes a pregnancy can do things to a woman's joints that can make walking excruciating.

Family spots? Lazy kids need to be out walking. Corralling kids can be a hassle, but you have to do it in the store as well. If you are going to have family spots maybe they should be out in the middle of the parking lot next to the cart corrals so that you can grab a cart for the ones who are too little to walk without having to leave the kids in the car while you look for a cart. Next to the store? No.

And FE spots is just stupid. I like the places that have motorcycle parking, it frees up a full size spot for a full size vehicle, but I don't expect special parking just because I am not burning as much gas as someone else. Maybe if I have to walk my fat ass a little further I will burn a few calories and my bike will get even more FE.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I don't really have a problem with the idea of any of the spots. They have their place I guess. It call becomes too much at some point though and a complete waist of space when the spots become so niche that they go unused.

So if it can't be executed fairly, then don't do it at all. But since they CAN, they DO and all in the name of support some cause instead of supporting their customers. Seems quite silly to me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #19
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I'll park my F350 Dually in those spots for a few reasons. Who decides what fuell efficient is? I think my truck is very efficient for what it is. The only legally reserved parking spots are handicapped parking. I will park my happy ass in any available spot that isn't handi-park. Everywhere I go I'm employee of the month, a pregnant bitch fuel efficient, the president, or whatever else they can come up with to say look at me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #20
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
I'll park my F350 Dually in those spots for a few reasons. Who decides what fuell efficient is? I think my truck is very efficient for what it is. The only legally reserved parking spots are handicapped parking. I will park my happy ass in any available spot that isn't handi-park. Everywhere I go I'm employee of the month, a pregnant bitch fuel efficient, the president, or whatever else they can come up with to say look at me.
And a F350 Dually going down the tollway at 90mph is enough to stop me from passing it at 100mph. (Ask me how I know this.)

I've seen two places where they've specifically told motorcycles where not to park. One of the places is a movie theater (no parking on the sidewalk that leads to the theater entrance). Another one is a bar/pub where they had fold-up signs saying that motorcycles are forbidden to park in the striped portions of the parking lot. (Some of them are handicap access points, so that would be expected).

Quote:
I already look like an oddball there already.

Old April 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
And a F350 Dually going down the tollway at 90mph is enough to stop me from passing it at 100mph. (Ask me how I know this.)
OK, how do you know this?

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #22
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
OK, how do you know this?
Well, the new 85mph toll road that opened up around Central Texas opened up, and it's really close to my home, so I got on it and just opened up the throttle.

Around the last 10 miles of the new road, I was going 90mph and I was right behind a Dually, with all sorts of racks and boxes in the back. I accelerated to about 95-100mph and tried to pass him, but every time I got into his blind spot, the amount of turbulence that truck was generating was enough to cause my bike to lose stability. (I tried twice with no luck.)

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #23
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
I'm sorry but I had to throw a flag on this one. Fuel efficiency is pretty simple imo. Here's a gallon of gas. How far can your vehicle go on that gallon? 11-12 miles? gtfo of the fuel efficiency spot. Regardless of what your vehicle is, it's not using the fuel very efficiently. A fuel efficient vehicle should be anything that is in the upper MPG spectrum of vehicles on the road. Anything under 30 really isn't that efficient.

That being said, don't mistake this for me supporting those spots. Don't really care about those spots but I usually laugh/take a pic to show all my friends the dumb*** when I see a corvette parked there.

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #24
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
Ooooh man have I got a story regrading these type of spaces....

At the University I work for, they have FEV (fuel efficient vehicle) spots. I used to park my bike there every night when I came into work. Sure enough, every morning I'd get a notice saying not to park there. They couldn't REALLY give me a ticket, but if they really wanted to, they could have towed me because they enforced the rules in that parking lot.

I complained almost daily with the manager who said this:
"We are using the listing provided by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEE). Their current list of qualified vehicles is attached, and is also at greenercars.org (go to the news&documents page, and look for LEED MY 2001-2012 Low Emission Vehicles)."

Of course, no motorcycles were listed. I showed them the stats of the motorcycle and to the best of my ability, put it in the same format as the charts they used. They still refused to acknowledge my motorcycle. This really annoyed me because MANY of the cars on that list were not as 'green' as my motorcycle was at the time. I'm not just talking MPG because there's more to it then that, but my emissions were also well above par.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I wouldn't park something like my 636 there, but if they are going to give individuals who drive eco vehicles special privileges, I felt myself and the many smell/medium motorcycle drivers there deserved them as well. After weeks of trying to state my case (for me and other moto riders), they decided to add motorcycle spots.... on the sidewalk.

Since then, I've moved on to a better job across the street, but it's nice to know that my complaints helped other riders who worked at that building. Even if it was just a couple of small spots on the sidewalk.

EDIT: You ride a Tuono. I am immensely jealous and changed my mind. Those spots are only for cars and people who don't own one of the all time best motorcycles ever.
At my university motorcycle are not allowed to parking in any space that was designed for a car. We have to park in the designated spots, that tend to fill up extremely fast on nice days.

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #25
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

i'd personally stay away from those spots.

it's just asking for trouble from...
-some smug prius driver keying your bike.
-distracted prius drivers who are so happy they're recognized for their vehicle that creates more carbon emissions over its life time than an average car, that they are blinded by their awesomeness and run into your bike, knocking it over.
-guys who drive f350 dualies into tight parking lots, because they can't see your bike over the massive hood and will likely take your bike out even if they're trying to park next to you.
-other angry people who throw their shopping carts into the space next to your bike because they're too lazy to walk 10 more feet to the cart corral, likely hitting the side of your bike.

I just avoid the garbage that could come with spots like that, and park towards the back of the lot where people are less likely to be pissed off.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #26
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
I'm sorry but I had to throw a flag on this one. Fuel efficiency is pretty simple imo. Here's a gallon of gas. How far can your vehicle go on that gallon? 11-12 miles? gtfo of the fuel efficiency spot. Regardless of what your vehicle is, it's not using the fuel very efficiently. A fuel efficient vehicle should be anything that is in the upper MPG spectrum of vehicles on the road. Anything under 30 really isn't that efficient.

That being said, don't mistake this for me supporting those spots. Don't really care about those spots but I usually laugh/take a pic to show all my friends the dumb*** when I see a corvette parked there.
Then I guess thos signs need to include an MPG range. I'll still park there though.

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #27
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

And what about the old folks? Do they deserve a spot too? I would say they do...

So imagine, an handicaped pregnant woman with two kids driving a Prius. Where would she park? Difficult decision...

But, yeah I would park there with my Ninja, but not with my 3.0R Outback...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #28
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Then I guess thos signs need to include an MPG range. I'll still park there though.
"oh 30mpg minimum? well I get double that on my bike!"
*happily parks there

comes back to angry prius drivers who felt acknowledged until they saw your bike
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #29
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
And what about the old folks? Do they deserve a spot too? I would say they do...

So imagine, an handicaped pregnant woman with two kids driving a Prius. Where would she park? Difficult decision...

But, yeah I would park there with my Ninja, but not with my 3.0R Outback...
Around here, old folks can fairly easily get a handicapped placard or license plate.

The entire talk about Priuses is kind of amusing to me because I drive one when I'm not on two wheels.

Old April 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #30
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Ha! My thoughts exactly.

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #31
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
The entire talk about Priuses is kind of amusing to me because I drive one when I'm not on two wheels.
Maybe because they are the "Kleenex" of the hybrid transportation... They're the one that pop to mind...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #32
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I just park on the ****ing sidewalk by the front entrance. Do it every store I go to. At some stores there are employee motorcycles parked there as well. Never have had an issue with it. Try it, you may like it!
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #33
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

We have those at the hospital where I work. There's always someone in a massive pickup parked there.

I park in those spots when I'm visiting or just picking something up. Since they're at the front of the lot (and employees park at the back), I don't use them while working a shift.

Should they be able to tow? Legally? Yes, because it's private property and the person is parking in a space they were specifically asked not to. Ethically? Maybe, maybe not. If it was my lot, I'd leave them a 'you park like a jackass' card.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what do you want to bet the manager of that joanns drives a prius

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #35
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
At my university motorcycle are not allowed to parking in any space that was designed for a car. We have to park in the designated spots, that tend to fill up extremely fast on nice days.
Wow, that's awful. In the summer, almost ALL our motorcycle spots get taken up.

I've gotten notes from people when I park in car spots... "park in the motorcycle spots!". It annoys me because I would if I could. One of these days, someone's going to do more than leave a note
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #36
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ Just do what my buddies and I did in high school. Split the car spots among multiple bikes. 2 fit easily longitudinally, and 4-5 fit easily laterally if you're on an end spot and can back out of the side of the spot.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #37
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i park in those spots, all the time, never been bothered...

if it happened, i imagine their head would explode from me telling them i get 85mpg...

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #38
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

We have motorcycle parking where I work. The problem is that no one really follows a set way of which way to park your bike (parallel or perpendicular to the wall).

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #39
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
Wow, that's awful. In the summer, almost ALL our motorcycle spots get taken up.

I've gotten notes from people when I park in car spots... "park in the motorcycle spots!". It annoys me because I would if I could. One of these days, someone's going to do more than leave a note
I wouldn't risk it since its abundantly clear how stupid people can be sometimes.
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #40
NealWright
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

You all do realize ... most motorcycles have the emissions of a '60s automobile? Fuel efficiency and Low Emissions are not necessarily the same.
NealWright is offline   Reply With Quote