Old September 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Changing up my MTB

[BicycleGeek]
So I have two mountain bikes.

I have my Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29-er that is my main dirt shredding ride. The extra weight of the full suspension setup doesn't bother me. It isn't like I'm racing it (well I do race my friends out there, but that is pure fun).

I also have my older (not by much) Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29-er. I love the bike and I don't want to get rid of it (see image below). Plus it is nice to have a hardtail for when I do sign up for a race.

What to do??

Well I figured it out. Normally I'm constantly throwing my Trek 1.5 on and off the trainer when the weather is really hot, really cold, or just nasty (due to the drought we've been having in TX, it has been a while). So I am thinking that I will toss the Hardrock on it. Now the knobby tires make an insane noise on the trainer. After conducting some research, I've found that a 29-er wheel is very similar to the ISO 622, more commonly called 700c, wheels used on road bikes (just wider).

Since I'm currently running 2.2 Kenda Nevegal tires, throwing a 700c x 28 or 32 on there will be no problem (gotta figure out rim width to help select my size). So my mountain bike will be set up for road bike duties. I love the idea, because it gives me a usable upright riding position, I can toss on a more plush seat (haha, yeah right), and also I keep the front fork on there that helps soak up road vibrations. More weight, yes, but the triple would help me out on rides where lots of climbing is involved.

I'm sure if I went out on a group ride on the thing, I'd be looked at as being weird, but hey, being different isn't a bad thing. So I guess I'll look and see if a Bontrager Hard Case would fit my ride. Hope to have it up and running by the end of the month.

So it will be my trainer ride for now. If I really like it for commuting, I may pick up a cheap old MTB or road bike to use on the trainer. We shall see.

Thought I'd share for other possible ideas/comments.

[/BicycleGeek]

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #2
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Sorry, I don't know enough about bicycles to offer any worthy advice. But, sounds like if you can keep two bikes and have one exclusively for use on the trainer and the other be your "get around" bike that sounds good.

As an example of my ignorance why would you get weird looks on group rides if you choose the one bike? Is it because of the tires you were thinking of getting? Or something completely different?
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Oh, because many who do the group rides are all clad out in cycling shorts and jersey combo that costs over $250, shoes and cleats running over $300 and riding a bike that costs at least twice of what my Trek 1.5 costs. Nobody rides anything other than a road bike on those rides. Seeing a mountain bike out there would be a shock to their systems.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone killed over because they saw me on a mountain bike instead of a fast road bike.

Ok, maybe it isn't that bad. I know a few in our group who ride $5000 bikes, and I can almost keep up with them on my $1200 bike. Most are pretty cool. Some still ride bikes that were brand new back when I was in elementary school.

For the most part, the group I ride with are just happy to be out on the road and they could care less about what you ride. Still, they would turn their head twice seeing a MTB pulling road duty. hahaha

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Bicycles are like underwear for me, gotta have one for at least every day of the week.. sometime I like to change mid-day.

As an avid cyclist for more than 2 decades, I have accumulated more than a dozen bicycles that I keep for myself and SO. All of them cost more than my car.

If you have the room, get as many bikes as you please.

Personally, I like my hardtail light, still a 26er, under 21 lb.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

You could do like I did once before.. I was riding my brothers Kona with a rear road wheel. The original was Taco'd and I was not looking to buy a new wheel, so I putted around on it. No rear brake, but it's useless anyways :P

As for just the tire, run a 32!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote