Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Best boots for around $150

I'm looking for a pair of reasonably priced boots for a track day this season. I've been wearing work boots and have been looking to upgrade them anyways

So, I'm looking for the "best bang for the buck"

What are people's suggestions? I want a full size boot, that is going to be ok for normal, sporty touring, along with my track day this summer. I'm not looking to break the bank, but want to be prepared at the same time

So far, I like the looks of Tecknic Chicane Boots in white

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...size_chart_tab

I did some searching a while ago on this topic, but frankly, I forget everything that I read
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Another pair I've found are Cortech Latigo Air boots. I like the reviews on these a little better than the reviews on those Teknics

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

Another pair. A* AYC S-MX 5

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...s-Mens&Class1=

of these 3 pairs of boots, who likes which pair best, and why? which offers best protection?

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Mhm dem boots are leathery and protecty. Mhm.

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Well I have these.... http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1001654

They are a little more expensive but worth it! They are super comfortable and have good protection. I recommend! I am now a Dainese fan ever since I bought them.

These are my first boots so I can't compare them to anything other than the A* SMX 5 boots I tried on while looking for boots. I hated the A*. They felt really bulky compared to the Dainese. I guess wide would be a better term. The Dainese fit my foot perfectly. And they were more flexible in the ankle area compared to the A* which is nice for shifter feel. The Dainese were also way easier to put on because the have a zipper running down the back of the boot. I can take them off and on in seconds.

For me it was hard looking for boots online. I had to go to my local Cycle Gear and try on some boots. I can't buy any type of shoes without trying them on.

If I was you I would probably pick the Cortechs out of the few boots you are choosing from. They look cool in the white.black scheme and look like they offer good protection if you are going to do a track day. And they are pretty cheap.

But don't skimp out on boots. Ask yourself, Do you like your feet? If the answer was yes, then buy the best boots you can afford.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes I like my feet, but yes I'm also on a budget. Currently I wear work boots, so I feel like any reputable brand basic motorcycle boot will be a step up for me budget.

I've heard good things about the Cortech's.

FTR, I'm not limiting myself to these 3. If anyone has good suggestions like Jono, by all means, list them for me and add them to the choices.

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

To what extent do they have to be 'normal' boots?

I bought a pair of these last year, comfortable (I wear them for 16hr days at work, too) and they're holding up.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...uth-Shoes.aspx

Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, for a track day at Mid-Ohio, they need to be full length boots that cover your ankle and come up your calf. Even if it wasn't required, that's what I would be looking at for every day riding.

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Those cover the ankle fairly well, and have a high top style, too, that goes further, but no shin coverage.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Another pair I've found are Cortech Latigo Air boots. I like the reviews on these a little better than the reviews on those Teknics

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx
I wear the Cortech Latigo Air boots. Found them to be the best value for performance I could find. Not great for walking off the bike (they have a forward lean on them), but very comfy on the bike and a great value. I have the white, and regret not getting the black. I was seduced by the look, but practicality suffers. Dirt shows on the leather, which I have to clean regularly. My black commuting boots (Tourmaster Solutions and BiLT Trackstars) look much better after wear.

The Cortech Latigo, Sedici Laguna and Teknic Chicane (2011) boots are nearly identical - I think the soles are different. They are made at the same factory to very similar specs. (Warning: The 2010 Chicanes are garbage - very poorly constructed, avoid those. They might be the source of the bad reviews. Teknic went with the new model in 2011, which is MUCH better quality and protection. RevZilla carries both if you want to compare. While the 2010 is about 20 bucks cheaper, it is NOT worth it.) The Cortech/Teknic/Sedici boots are a great lesson in motorcycle gear -- most of it, regardless of brand, is made out of a handful of factories in Pakistan with the same materials and often the same designs. This is the argument for going with the Sedici gear in general - CycleGear is just rebranding Cortech or A* or Teknic stuff and cutting out the middle man. In this case, pick whichever one of the three has the best price. If I didn't have a friend connected to Cortech who got them for me at cost, I probably would have gone with the Sedici for the lifetime warranty, though the soles Sedici uses worry me. Okay, maybe I would stick with the Cortechs.

Another option in this price range is the TCX S-Zero, on sale right now at MotorcycleGear.com. Worth a look, offering great features for $165 on sale from the mid-200s. Similar deal to the great deal you found on the SMX-5s - that would probably be too tempting for me to pass up if they had my size at that price when I was in the market. SMX-5s are really good boots. (Also, don't wear motorcycle shoes, get something that protects your ankle and shin. Barely covering the ankle for abrasion purposes won't protect against torsion injuries, and you need something on your shin to protect from the pegs in a getoff. The Cortech/Teknic/Sedici options above are barely sufficient for a trackday.)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; March 13th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #10
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

tecknics are 180 so i'd go 195 for sidi. of course you'll find both on sale somewhere for even less. i wear sidi over ankle boots with full heel and ankle protection for 140. top shelf.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I like the TCX S-Zero's, and the S-MX 5's

This is a tough choice. Both are CE certified, have good reviews, and are similar in style. Only thing that worries me a little, is iron pony's return policy. The SMX5's are a close out item, and I would prefer to be able to return them in case they don't fit right. I normally wear a 9 (43) and they only have 8's (42). However, my bicycle cleats and soccer cleats are both 8's (42) and fit me perfectly. motorcyclegear.com has a much more friendly return policy. For this reason, I think I am currently leaning towards the TCX S-Zeros from motorcyclegear.com

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #12
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

These are a little more than $150 but def worth it for a full boot.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ort-Boots.aspx

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Only thing that worries me a little, is iron pony's return policy. The SMX5's are a close out item, and I would prefer to be able to return them in case they don't fit right.
If those are the ones you want don't worry about exchanges. They will exchange if they have the exact same item in stock in the requested size. I did that with my wife's closeout A* jacket in the same sale line as the SMX5's. Just make sure they have a size up and a size down as needed. I called to verify their policy too because my wife is hard to size in a jacket.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But they don't have the s-mx 5's in a size up at that price. Makes me less comfortable buying from them.

motorcyclegear.com has the TCX's in every size, and has a good exchange/return policy if I need a different size or just don't like the boot and want to return it.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

not sure of your size but the SMX5's run spot on sizing, if that helps.

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #16
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Apple Lime

Chris,

I got the Web Gore-Tex Alpine Stars ones from IronPony for $130 plus tax. They are super comfy and I wore them around for over 8 hours at work and my feet didnt hurt at all. They are CE rated, 100% waterproof, and full grain leather. I like the not "race boot" look they have though. I tried on the SMX-5s and they were ok, just hated the toe slider and the inablility to walk very well in them.

Reviews here
ryanG19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #17
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Im sure the local shops will have deals at the end of winter

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
delscorcho
ninjette.org member

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
not sure of your size but the SMX5's run spot on sizing, if that helps.
I had just the opposite experience. I normally wear a 11 (46) but with the SMX5 I was between a 44 and 45. 44 was a bit small and 45 was too big.
delscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #19
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by delscorcho View Post
I had just the opposite experience. I normally wear a 11 (46) but with the SMX5 I was between a 44 and 45. 44 was a bit small and 45 was too big.
I just got a set of the Alpinestars ST's, size 45 and they fit great! I normally wear 11's as well, checked the European size on the tongue and it said 45, so that's what I ordered... They fit the same (size-wise) as my Sketchers!

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #20
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
I like the TCX S-Zero's, and the S-MX 5's

I would prefer to be able to return them in case they don't fit right. I normally wear a 9 (43) and they only have 8's (42). However, my bicycle cleats and soccer cleats are both 8's (42) and fit me perfectly. motorcyclegear.com has a much more friendly return policy. For this reason, I think I am currently leaning towards the TCX S-Zeros from motorcyclegear.com
I too normally wear a US9 in everything. I bought the Cortech Latigo Air in a size 9 and they are too big. I am returning them mainly because they feel cluncky to me. There is little tactile feedback and I cannot feel whether I am on top of or below the shift lever. Partly due to the off sizing, but the soles are wide and a bit firm - More touring than sport. I got the white and I can tell they will be dirty very quickly based on the location of stitched panels.

I tried on the S-MX5's and a 42 fit perfectly. I was in the process of ordering them from Motorcycle Superstore when I saw your post. You just saved me $70 at Iron Pony over MS. Thanks! I know the 42 fit me like a glove so I have no issue with the return policy. FYI - I also tried on the Sidi Fusion and while they provide great tactile feedback, they are slightly more snug in a 42 and too large in a 43. The S-MX5's are much better quality than the Latigos and they move a lot better. Good luck
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@BlackNinja8 so the A* I linked fit you right in a 42??? Hmmmm ok that puts me back looking at the A* boots. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad I helped save you some money! Get yourself more gear on me since I saved you enough for a good pair of gloves

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #22
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
@BlackNinja8 so the A* I linked fit you right in a 42??? Hmmmm ok that puts me back looking at the A* boots. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad I helped save you some money! Get yourself more gear on me since I saved you enough for a good pair of gloves
Lol...You've given me great advice all along. Glad to help. I just ordered them from Iron Pony (hopefully not the last pair of 42s). I tried on the SMX5 -not the Yamaha one's - but I'm sure they are the same. They were definately the best fit. Even when it comes to dress shoes I find that a EU42 is the closest to a US9.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #23
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Aren't SMX 5's on sale @ ironpony? They go for 149 I think.

Edit: Ohh you guys are talking about that already heheh. For 150 I'll go with the SMX, uber protection for the price.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well everyone, thanks for all the help on boots! I really appreciate the help. I hope that others looking for reasonable foot protection also take note of this.

I fell into a great deal on a pair of boots. For shipping only, I bought these from @burningscooter and now have better protection for when I ride. (and am one step closer to being prepared for my track day) Thanks for being such a stand-up guy T!

Thanks so much for the help guys. @gfloyd2002, just you wait. That's more points going on my gearwhore score!

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:48 PM   #25
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Congrats. Awesome of seller to let them go for such a great price.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #26
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

$15 dollars for boots!!! Nice deal!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
$15 dollars for boots!!! Nice deal!
i know right.... lucky duck.

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
more like $20!! I gave a little extra just in case the shipping is more than expected.

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #29
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Alpinestars

You can't go wrong with Alpinestars...Wardie