ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #41
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpybra View Post
It's depressing when I think how long it's been. I'm going to be 32 this year, and it upsets me that I've 'missed out' on so many years.

I don't think you're going to be depressed when you get your insurance quote for full coverage. I think I'll be paying more in gas for the year. Well, maybe 5,000 miles a year might be too optimistic.
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM   #42
tony7kp
ninjette.org member

Name: Han

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

I go to Bobs BMW for my gear and usually for any work on the bike that I don't do myself. They have good top of the line gears (like REV'IT, which is my fav brand) and I believe they still offer a 10% discount your first purchase if you recently passed a MSF course. Their shop is also great and they're usually never backed up like ECMS.
tony7kp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM   #43
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesun View Post
There's currently a beater 2007 on CL out of Gaithersburg for $800 firm. There's another 2007 for $1300 in Silver Spring. I think the owner has it misdiagnosed. It's probably not the starter but a gummed up jet in the carb. But be prepared. These carbs are a major pain.
I've been checking CL regularly (app on my phone to auto-search). I saw both of those, but the $800 had me worried because it was leaking oil, and pretty beat. Could it be as simple as a bad valve cover gasket? He did say the valves were recently adjusted. I'd be scared that he over-tightened something though.

The other one w/ the "starter issue", I emailed her the other day, and she got back to me saying "I have someone coming out to look at it tonight, if he's not interested, I'll give you the info". Maybe I'll ping her again. Though, not sure if I have the time to tear down and clean carbs on a bike I Just got. Definitely like the blue.

I'm just hesitant about a 'project' bike, and idk enough about MD inspection if that would be a pain. But $800 always sounds nice and cheap

But yeah, if you see anything auction wise, that'd be awesome, as I haven't even thought about that (or would know where to look). Thanks

Quote:
Eastern Frederick County - like Mt. Airy?
yeah, pretty much - you stalking me? I'm just waiting for the day someone lists one around here!
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #44
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony7kp View Post
I go to Bobs BMW for my gear and usually for any work on the bike that I don't do myself. They have good top of the line gears (like REV'IT, which is my fav brand) and I believe they still offer a 10% discount your first purchase if you recently passed a MSF course. Their shop is also great and they're usually never backed up like ECMS.
I saw some REV'IT jackets I liked on Revzilla, hauling down to Jessup might be a hike though. I might end up trying ECMS on the way home from work sometime though.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #45
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

I picked up what I thought would be a simple project. Learning the hard way. But it'll be worth it. Learning a lot. I'll probably pick up another project but not anytime soon.

I sort of regret not waiting a week after I saw a 2006 being sold by Cycles of Silver Spring. It came inspected and ready to ride. They advertised on CL.

Two of the local auctions I've gone to have been Capital Auto Auction in Temple Hills and Premier Auto Auction in Laurel. I might go back in the winter when it's less likely that someone will bid for a quick flip.

I went to a Montgomery County Police Auction, and it's depressing the wrecked bikes that the insurance companies won't pick up. But you should probably stay away from police auctions anyway since they'll be marked with salvage titles. And it's doubtful that any bike that's impounded, towed, or "collected" from an accident scene will be in good condition.

There's a specific powersports auction in Edgewood. Their next auction is on September 11.

Old August 24th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #46
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Well, I am selling mine....

/shameless plug
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #47
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmilchling View Post
Well, I am selling mine....

/shameless plug
I'd love a newgen, especially one taken care of, but that's out of my price point, sorry.

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #48
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Love the guys at cycles of Silver Spring, Jeremy is great to work with... their shop is 5 mins up from where I work, just hold on for a good deal on a new gen, I got my 2010 with 700 miles on it for 2700
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #49
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
Love the guys at cycles of Silver Spring, Jeremy is great to work with...
I'm a new rider in DC (and going to UMD), and I was hoping to find come good recommendations for shops, so cool, thanks!

Also, I took my MSF at CCVA in Alexandria for $150. It was the cheapest I found in the area, and I was really happy with it. Only problem is that form MD drivers, it wont qualify you to waive the road test. In DC (where I'm licensed) you have to take the written over, but it waives the road.
BlueHairSar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #50
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
I'm a new rider in DC (and going to UMD), and I was hoping to find come good recommendations for shops, so cool, thanks!

Also, I took my MSF at CCVA in Alexandria for $150. It was the cheapest I found in the area, and I was really happy with it. Only problem is that form MD drivers, it wont qualify you to waive the road test. In DC (where I'm licensed) you have to take the written over, but it waives the road.
I highly DO NOT recommend ellicott city motorsports (their service department anyway) the dealership part is good though. I just went to Bob's BMW last week for the first time and they said they can do work on our bikes but their japan bikes guys were out of town and told me to call back later to figure out how much anything will be.

Another great thing about Bob's is that you can test ride anything in the shop. But for the S1000RR you need to be 25 and have a credit card with 2500$ on it as like a security deposit :/
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #51
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Most of the basic work, you should be able to do yourself. Oil and filter change, cleaning the oil screen, air filter, fuel filter mod, spark plugs, lubing cables... You should definitely learn it anyway. It'll save you hundreds in the long run. And I'm sure you can find volunteers to help out, online and locally.

The carburetor is a major pain. You have to take everything from the fuel tank to the back fender off the bike to remove the carb. And definitely replace the soft screws once you get them off. I was lucky that mine didn't have that many miles, so I didn't bother with syncing or any other adjustments. But I can't imagine a shop could have taken more care on cleaning my carb than I did myself. My pilot jets were shiny new when I was done with them!

After this weekend, I'll let you know how my efforts go taking the rear and front wheels off. I need to get new tires mounted, and I can't ride with the new tires to have them changed. While I have the rear wheel off, I plan to do some maintanence on the swingarm and chain.

Oh, if you have plans to lower you ninja, I have 2" lowering links available!

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #52
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Most of the basic work, you should be able to do yourself. Oil and filter change, cleaning the oil screen, air filter, fuel filter mod, spark plugs, lubing cables... You should definitely learn it anyway. It'll save you hundreds in the long run. And I'm sure you can find volunteers to help out, online and locally.
I have every plan to learn to do as much as I can myself. I was planning to take her to a good shop for an I-just-bought-you-so-to-prove-my-love tune-up, and I'll need to get new tires in the not so distant future.

Quote:
Oh, if you have plans to lower you ninja, I have 2" lowering links available!
Thanks, but I'm actually tall enough that no lowering is necessary!

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #53
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Welcome aboard!

Apart from doing my own work as well, I'm not looking forward to bringing the bike in for inspection whenever I finally get one. I'll worry about that then, hopefully that's not a pain.

So, my MSF course was rescheduled this past Sunday because of rain/storms, so I should finish it up (if all goes well) this Saturday. Here's hoping the weather holds out.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM   #54
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Well, took the final day and exam of the MSF BRC on Saturday, and WOO HOO, I passed!

I was soo crazy nervous for the exam, and I ended up being the FIRST person to do it. I crossed the line twice in the u-turn box, and left off the throttle in the corner exam, for a total of 8 points off. Something I can practice in a parking lot when I get a bike.

Now, I just need to keep bike shopping. This one has my interest because of cost ($1200) but I'm not sure since they say it's definitely been dropped http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/3216563702.html. I figure if I care, I can always sand/paint/etc the areas which have been 'repaired'.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #55
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Nice. If you do pull the trigger on the yellow, I have a few motorcycle superstore 10% off coupons. I'm not going to use them, and they expire at the end of September. If you're going to have a yellow bike, you should go all yellow!

Now have fun at the MVA waiting for your new drivers license! You can't go to the express so it's waiting at the full-service location.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM   #56
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Now, I just need to keep bike shopping. This one has my interest because of cost ($1200) but I'm not sure since they say it's definitely been dropped http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/3216563702.html. I figure if I care, I can always sand/paint/etc the areas which have been 'repaired'.
Not sure if this will influence your decision, but I just got a set of Bridgestone BT-45s from Motorcycle Superstore. They were the cheapest I could find and cost me about $200. I just had them mounted and balanced for $50.

Damn it. I overpaid for my bike!

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #57
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you do pull the trigger on the yellow, I have a few motorcycle superstore 10% off coupons. I'm not going to use them, and they expire at the end of September. If you're going to have a yellow bike, you should go all yellow!
Actually, the gear I've been looking at is all on mc-superstore, so that'd be awesome if you want to PM me a coupon, I'd appreciate it.

I've been holding off to buy some stuff because of color, but not much is in yellow, at least not the 2-piece I've been eyeing up. I might go w/ blue gear (blue and yellow go together, right? especially if i repaint the bike to blue) Or maybe a grey/black/white mix which goes with anything.

Quote:
Not sure if this will influence your decision, but I just got a set of Bridgestone BT-45s from Motorcycle Superstore. They were the cheapest I could find and cost me about $200. I just had them mounted and balanced for $50.
You make a great point about the tires, saving some cash there with 'new' tires on it. I'll probably contact this guy this week and go from there.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM   #58
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Congrats on passing! @pimpybra

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM   #59
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Grats bro
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:59 PM   #60
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've been holding off to buy some stuff because of color, but not much is in yellow, at least not the 2-piece I've been eyeing up. I might go w/ blue gear (blue and yellow go together, right? especially if i repaint the bike to blue) Or maybe a grey/black/white mix which goes with anything.
Here are some ideas from this photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4746168227_3cfc5b743d.jpg (112.8 KB, 4 views)

Old September 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #61
mike12
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250R SE

do the course asap youll be glas ya did.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #62
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

FINALLY got a bike

Sweeeet. An '02, and the guy selling it seemed to really know his stuff, everything was taken care of: new tires, battery, filter, plugs, carbs completely removed/dipped/cleaned, etc. Only exception was a valve check/adjustment, I'll have to take note of that, as it's just under 6k miles.

Buddy I work with rode it home 1.5 hours for me, as I don't have gear, nor did I feel comfortable riding that long (with a good chunk of it in the dark). He's been riding for 25 years or so, but isn't a fan of sport bikes. Still he had fun on some back roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja.jpg (191.3 KB, 4 views)

Old September 16th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #63
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

YAY! Congrats on the new bike, it looks great!

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #64
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sweeeet. An '02, and the guy selling it seemed to really know his stuff, everything was taken care of: new tires, battery, filter, plugs, carbs completely removed/dipped/cleaned, etc. Only exception was a valve check/adjustment, I'll have to take note of that, as it's just under 6k miles.

Buddy I work with rode it home 1.5 hours for me, as I don't have gear, nor did I feel comfortable riding that long (with a good chunk of it in the dark). He's been riding for 25 years or so, but isn't a fan of sport bikes. Still he had fun on some back roads.
Nice. If you need any help or tools, let me know. I'm not too far from you.

Hope you're on the road soon. I can't imagine that you got the title and tag sorted over the weekend, but there should be a great stretch of riding days in the next week or so.

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #65
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nice. If you need any help or tools, let me know.
Thanks man.

Quote:
I can't imagine that you got the title and tag sorted over the weekend, but there should be a great stretch of riding days in the next week or so.
Actually, I went to Terry's Tag & Title in Eldersburg on Saturday morning, and they did everything in less than 10 minutes, so I was fully legal and plated and temporary registered for 30 days. Just need to get inspected and full registration, but I am legit on the road and had a few short rides on Sunday.

One short ride included a mis-shift to 2nd (yay neutral) and rev mid-intersection so I probably looked like a goon. aaaaand I forgot to turn my petcock on before trying to leave the neighborhood... I felt like an idiot, but I don't think I'll do that again!

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #66
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Congrats! I am hopefully picking up my ninja 250 today after work.

Excited to do some fall riding, best time of year IMO.

Seems likes lots of people from Maryland and anywhere in the mid part of the state is pretty close proximity, should not be hard to get some Maryland group rides together.

I'm in Laurel BTW

Congrats again, be safe,
Joe
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #67
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Congrats! I am hopefully picking up my ninja 250 today after work.
How'd that go? I was able to squeeze in maybe 10-15 minutes of riding, nothing major at all, but a little bit of parking lot figure-8s and slow turn practice.

Old September 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #68
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Um, can someone explain what a petcock is?

Old September 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #69
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post

You don't have one of these under your tank?

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM   #70
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
It's the fuel valve under your tank. Fuel injected engines have a fuel pump to take care of that but since the ninjettes are carbed, a fuel valve/petcock is needed to get fuel to the carbs when needed. On the older ninjettes, the petcock was manual, meaning you had to switch it on before you started the bike, and off when you shut it off( you may have seen mention of it in the MSF class, if you took it). Also, if you hear someone mention switching to reserve fuel, it is done with the switch, some bikes have a reserve portion of the tank.

However, the newgens, have a vacuum operated petcock meaning, once the engine starts to pull a vacuum, it automatically opens the valve letting fuel flow through and when the engine is shut off, no vacuum, it closes so you don't flood the carbs with fuel. The only time you'll have to worry about it is if you winterize your bike and drain the fuel from your carb bowls, so it doesn't gum up in storage, when you go to pull it back out in the spring you'll have to switch yours to PRIME, it allows fuel to flow through without a vacuum source so it will prime the fuel bowls and the bike with be ready to start, then just switch it back to ON.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM   #71
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Yes @jaesun that's exactly what mine looks like! Lol

I didn't realize that was called a petcock. I always referred to it as the gas thingy you turn under where your leg is.