Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Giving up the slow bike for a slow car

I bought a 2000 miata for my birthday. It's kinda weird getting so excited about a 4 wheeled vehicle. I'm really looking forward to developing it. I already have parts on order and Im constantly researching for what I want to do next.

A friend and I took it out last night to shake it down/beat on it. The shocks are blown, its lowered waay too much. The rear tires are going to be needing replacement and the stereo deck is sorta working. O yea, the front sway bar isn't connected because the connecting rod is snapped in half. It's a bit difficult to drive hard because it has a lot of body roll and it bounces around on everything but the smoothest of pavement. It over steers like a mofo too.

It's been raining in these parts for the past week so its still wet. I was driving on 9 last night and I lifted slightly and the rear started coming around really fast. I let the steering get ahead of me and did huge slide at the top of 3rd.

I'm loving how easy this car is to drive. Just like the 250 its super slow, but the steering is very direct and it has high cornering limits even with street tires. Such a raw little car, no traction control, no abs, just a simple design.

Its going to be a daily driver that will be seeing the track soon. But I'm going to sacrifice performance for street ability.

Last futzed with by CycleCam303; February 12th, 2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Prematurely posting lol
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Booooooooooooo
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #3
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Congratulations on the new ride!

I've driven one of those in the past (an older model) for a friend that had too much to drink that night. It was fun to drive and was a manual so I had a blast with it. Peeling out a little too much and got yelled at by him. He had lightened rims, but was stock otherwise. They are nice cars.

Got any modding plans for it yet?
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #4
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post

Got any modding plans for it yet?
O yea.
Brake pads/steel braided lines
New tires and thinking about better wheels (wider wheels 15 x 8)
I already have a roll bar ordered.
New adjustable shocks
Adjustable sway bars front and rear
Can't decide if I want to put stock springs on or source stiffer springs with a 1 inch lowering max
Car doesn't have a limited slip differential it needs one badly
New shift knob and stereo
New seats eventually
That's it for now.

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #5
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

You should autox it too. Tons of corners masks the hp deficit.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #6
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
O yea.
Brake pads/steel braided lines
New tires and thinking about better wheels (wider wheels 15 x 8)
I already have a roll bar ordered.
New adjustable shocks
Adjustable sway bars front and rear
Can't decide if I want to put stock springs on or source stiffer springs with a 1 inch lowering max
Car doesn't have a limited slip differential it needs one badly
New shift knob and stereo
New seats eventually
That's it for now.
That's a lot of cool stuff! You are going to be having fun working on it for awhile.

An lsd would be a great upgrade for the car. The Quaife brand is always very nice, but wow are they $$$!
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #7
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

I'm looking at doing a couple track days with it. I'd rather race my motorcycle than do autocross. It's really hard to justify spending all day at a parking lot for 10 minutes of drive time. Is autocross a great learning tool? absolutely. I still have a dirt bike and I'm in the process of putting together a very trick supermoto set up on it. But I've always been a car guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (120.2 KB, 4 views)

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My old Honda Civic was crazy good at Auto-X. A Civic Si BARELY, and I mean barely beat me at a higher speed auto-x. The Si had suspension, tires, short shifter, CAI, exhaust, etc. I had plus zero street tires and a short throw shifter. He beat me by less than 0.4 seconds. I drove the junk out of that car. The '02 Civic EX was lame as far as power went, but it definitely would handle if you pushed it.

I guess that is why I'm looking forward to going back to a 4-banger soon. The agility is great.

Still aiming for a Fiesta or Focus. Want the Fiesta, but my wife thinks the smallest I should go is a focus. We shall see...

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #9
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

I had the king of H stock autocross class. 89 civic si. That was a good do it all car.

I hate buying stuff for cars. I have all these questions to ask the tuners about their products. There's so much misinformation about cars that its hard to make the right decision.

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #10
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I tried an older civic si hatch once (DP or EP maybe). Stripped, trailered, etc. I spun just breathing off throttle in a turn. Car pulled surprisingly hard.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
I'm looking at doing a couple track days with it. I'd rather race my motorcycle than do autocross. It's really hard to justify spending all day at a parking lot for 10 minutes of drive time. Is autocross a great learning tool? absolutely. I still have a dirt bike and I'm in the process of putting together a very trick supermoto set up on it. But I've always been a car guy.

That's exactly why I quit autocrossing, well, I haven't quit, it's more like a once or twice a year thing now.

Enjoy your Miata!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #12
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Quote:
haha My ninja 250 is also red, and I'm also seriously thinking about getting a Miata. Crazy how everyone on this forum has so much in common, besides owning ninja 250's
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I'm thinking a fiesta/focus with a 5-spd manual, short shifter, new wheels, cai, light exhaust (maybe) and beefed up swaybars. I don't want springs, I like having ground clearance. Haha

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #14
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Nice choice on the miata. Tons of aftermarket parts available and they are the number one autox car.

I too have a CRX. That damn thing is FULLY built. And I mean fully built. It's a racecar. I don't even drive it because it's hard to control and a very harsh ride.

Supercharged, water/meth injection, swapped, boosted, dropped, tucked, bagged, shaved, it's freakin BUILT.

Never liked the autox scene because it's about 400/day in tires on our "track."

Let me know if you want advice on parts. I didn't cheap out on mine and severely regret blowing all those dollars on parts I don't use/drive much.

Quaife's are solid, Mfactory is a little cheaper but decent. I like the lockup on the quaife, it bites harder than the mfactory units and is a little more raw feeling. The short wheelbase on the CRX and snap-torque-steer really rotates the chassis through turns. By rotates I mean SNAP and if you're not quick on the wheel you're going to find yourself in trouble very quickly.

We don't have a dyno so I'll never know, but similar setups to mine have made ~300whp. And the car sits at 1970lb WITH driver and a full tank of gas.

Fcking deathtrap if you ask me. I got pulled over doing 140+ and somehow talked my way out of it.. been a little scared to drive the car since then because honestly I would've lost my license for atleast a year, 100+ hours of community service, 30 days in jail minimum.... Thank god I was able to be quick in explaining.. fire extinguisher in the car, laptop on the seat datalogging, drag races that evening, solid story made up, and a pity party with the sergeant who knew of... uhhh... me.

PM me if you need advice, I'm not super familiar with the miata platform, but I was modding imports long before I bought the 250r. I'm on my seventh CRX now, and as for other hondas... I've owned them..... all. Literally. Except for the preludes. Never like those H22s, I was more partial to the F22s.

Right now I'm working on an AP1 s2k on the side, but that thing is a DOG and it accelerates like a school bus.
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Dude come race AFM with me!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #16
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Dude come race AFM with me!
Haha. I don't get Sundays off. Racing is out of the question.

Old February 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Haha. I don't get Sundays off. Racing is out of the question.
Haven't you been there 6 months yet!? Vacation!!!

Or ya know, call in sick for the weekend
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #18
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

I was dead set on a miata but went with the ninja instead. Even test drove a few, super fun cars. I still plan on getting one when I can afford both a bike and a car.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote