Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 29th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #1
f0r54ken
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja ex250 2007

Cash In Hand Stories (Bartering.)

I was hoping you guys might want to share your tactics for negotiating and bartering with the dealerships.

Did you go cash in hand?

Were you fighting for a low apr?

I am curious to know cause I want to buy a new 650 soon and am trying to get good tips on hitting the dealership where it hurts.

There aren't too many good threads online about this from what I've seen. Especially for motorcycles. Fire away!

I plan on going cash in hand personally. at least get the tax knocked off.
f0r54ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
It's the end of the season, new models are coming out.

If the dealership has it in stock and they won't come down on price walk away.

Do your homework call around to see who has what you want in stock.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I often find dealers play pretty firm with prices on bikes until they have the new models on the showroom floor and typically for a few weeks after they have them on the floor typically Selling the last year model slightly cheaper during that time span. After awhile though (2 months?) if the last year models are not moving they typically give them a big price cut on the sticker and will negotiate even further from there. JME

But anyway, every dealer is different so don't just expect a particular dealer to cut $1k off the price because you think that is a reasonable deal. For all you know that particular dealer has no problems selling bikes at the prices they are asking despite them being "high" and if that is the case they have no reason to negotiate with you, they will sell the bike sooner or later, no biggie.

Same goes for more rare, unique models, colors ect... Doesn't matter if it is a POS bike that next to no one wants, if they have the only more desirable Red and black colored one within 500 miles they will be more firm with the price.

So yeah, new models are coming out and can lessen value of older models but at the same time if the old model was a good selling bike it could also mean that they and certain colors are in short supply so again, more firm on selling price.

like most things, its about supply and demand, knowing the product and the seller are half the battle

the best advice I have is don't be afraid to walk and don't wait to long to do it. If you linger and put up with the sales persons games and show that you are upset the whole time but still don't leave.... they know they have you

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

If your going to a dealer Im not sure how much play you really have with prices. In the past few years with all the online advertising most put their lowest prices on the website. Either that or im the worst at talking people down. Im only able to get a hundred or 2 off the price.

Private sale you have a much better chance, since most people still advertise xx more than they really want expecting people to lowball them. Most dealerships are only able to offer the better deals through manufacturer rebates and specials, which they advertise as well.

Old October 30th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #5
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

For what it's worth, I never go to buy a vehicle literally cash-in-hand. Making it clear you're looking to buy for cash should be just as good. Actually having the cash with you tells them that you have already made the purchase in your mind.

And when it comes to private deals, craigslist etc. in my opinion you don't ever want the seller thinking that you might be bringing cash immediately. Make it clear you're coming to look with no money first. This is for safety rather than a negotiating tactic. If my recent experience is anything to go by, it's very much a buyer's market at the moment and any you shouldn't have any trouble getting a good deal.
divil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Never, ever, tell the salesman that you're going to pay cash. Let him/her assume that you're going to finance. You don't have to lie, just dodge any questions about monthly payments, or anything related to what you can afford.

Dealers make money when you finance with them. They are more likely to come down on the price if they can make money on the loan interest, so let them assume they'll get that interest. Granted, if you're buying a $5000 bike, they may not make that assumption, but if you're over 10,000, they'll probably assume it. If they ask, dodge, or lie if that's your thing (it's not mine).

Once you've agreed on a price, then you bust out the cash, check, card, whatever, and rain on their parade. If they back out, walk.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

In my experience, paying cash is to entice seller to sell at a lower price, of a used vehicle. Brand new vehicle purchase, better deal could be had if you finance it and pay it off before the 0% APR runs out, let your cash sit in the bank generate interest before you have to pay off the loan.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Cash in hand works with Private Sellers.
Dealers get kick backs from the banks they finance through so you can get a better deal that way. If you have the credit score and money in the bank go to the dealer and finance through their most profitable route. then turn around and pay of what ever financing you used with them.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #9
f0r54ken
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja ex250 2007

Actually that is the whole point. I'm Gonna have private financing cause my credit isn't good enough for a bike, My friend and I have worked out a nice deal on it.

But saving up about $3000 or so should take two months. Do you guys know when the new models get released? Cause if I can find a closeout that would be legit. I know some of you said Supply/demand will be an issue, but supply/demand will make a higher chance of a good deal regardless (city wide)

For walking, Yes, I think we have 4 motorcycle dealers in vegas. They all sell it for the same. So I should be able to use that tactic. I'm thinking of getting the abs version for $500 more. it's nice lookin.
f0r54ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #10
mikromo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1999 Honda VFR800, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250 (sold)

I bought a program car from a dealer in 08. The car I bought was an 08. All through the price bartering they thought I was going to finance, and we got down to a very good price (for me). After all that, I whipped out my checkbook and paid cash........should have seen the look on thier faces...priceless!
mikromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

1). Call several dealerships on the telephone. Tell them "I'm looking for X model bike, I will call you back in 2 hours (needs to be the same day) and I will purchase from the dealership with the best price. (get the information of the person you spoke to so when you call back you can speak to that person)

1a). Do not get sucked into a conversation. Do exactly that. No more, no less.
1b). Call all of the dealerships you are willing to travel to and actually buy from.

2). Make it toward the end of the month since dealers are more interested in meeting quotas at this time.

http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote