ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

Name: stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250 blue

integrated tailight killing battery

I installed an integrated taillight a few days ago and not sure what I did wrong. After a few hours my battery keeps dieing and I need to jump it. This never happened before the light so I know that the light is the problem, or at least my wiring. I got some relays from Oriellys hooked up so that the leds flash when my blinkers are on but they flash really fast. Did i buy the wrong relays and that is what is killing my battery?
the jelly man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #2
Ktam
ninjette.org member

Name: Kelvin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Do you have LEDS on all of your indicators? That means it will be necessary to use the diode method do a search it up - but if your indicators flash that shouldn't be necessary. This was the flasher I used:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...62D_0217779968

As for your battery issue...did you leave your key in during installation? Have to ask all possibilities .
Ktam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #3
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jelly man View Post
I installed an integrated taillight a few days ago and not sure what I did wrong. After a few hours my battery keeps dieing and I need to jump it. This never happened before the light so I know that the light is the problem, or at least my wiring. I got some relays from Oriellys hooked up so that the leds flash when my blinkers are on but they flash really fast. Did i buy the wrong relays and that is what is killing my battery?
How did you hookup the relays? Could they be powered all the time? Disconnect the battery and listen to the relays you installed... if they click when you hook and unhook the battery with bike off, that's why they are running battery down.

Do both sides of the LED turn signals flash at the same time? If so, temporarily remove your dashboard turnsignal lamp and see if they now blink correctly (but fast). If so, you need to install a pair of diodes where the turn signal lamp is in the dash... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=turn+signal

If the blink too fast, it is because the LEDs have less load than the stock lamps and the turn signal flasher thinks that a lamp is burned out. Replace the flasher with one designed for LEDs, or install load resistors... better to replace the flasher.

Wes

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

They flash separately just fast. Where would a get a flasher that is made for leds? The flasher is that little black box right? 7if I got a flasher would I get rid of the relay?

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Flasher and relay are the same thing here in this context. Just get the EP34. Autozone will have it. Not sure about OReilly.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

It all depends on how you wired in your relay. The OEM circuit does not connect the relay directly to the battery. There's no way the relay can be causing the drain unless you connected a wire to it on your own. See the link in my sig for a plug and play flasher relay that won't give you problems.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Do you have one long light where you're blinking half of it or separate lights for signals? If you have separate lights you wired it wrong with the wrong relay, you need a new flasher and ditch the other ones. The LEDs wire in like the old signals.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #8
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

i bought the ep34 and will try installing it tomorrow and will let you guys know how that goes.