ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Snowieflake
ninjette.org member

Name: Lauren

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Just bought used 2004 Ninja

I am a brand new rider and just bought a used 2004 Ninja with about 6800 miles on it. The guy I bought it from was the third owner. As far as I know, he changed the oil then let it sit for 6 months before I bought it because his wife wouldn't let him ride. The battery was pretty much dead because it hadn't been ridden. He did not have any service records for the bike. The gas tank is clean and has no rust. The bike idles anywhere from 1k to 2.5k rpm.

My question is, what should I do to the bike maintenance-wise? I already bought and installed a new battery and my friend helped me clean and lube the chain. My next step was going to be an oil change.

Also, side question: when I'm in neutral, and I have the clutch engaged (clutch lever all the way out), I hear a sort of soft clunking noise that seems to go away when the clutch is disengaged. I took it to a nearby dealer's service facility and the service guy said that the clutch plates were just knocking together. Is this right?

Thanks so much for all of your help! I really appreciate any help I can get!
Snowieflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM   #2
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

Change the oil right away. Brake pads good?
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Snowieflake
ninjette.org member

I took it to a nearby dealer and got a 100-point inspection done. The results seemed to be that everything was fine but the brake pads were getting a little low. I guess I'll need to replace those soon too...

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:01 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
#1 thing I would check is the age of the tires.

The manufacture date is 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall - like "2809". The first 2 are the week (28th week) the second are the year (2009).

If they are older than 4 or 5 years, no matter how much tread they have, it's a good idea to replace them. Rubber loses flexibility over time, and traction will be reduced.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Snowieflake
ninjette.org member

The front tire say 2913, so they're just about a year old, but I think it looks a little bit dry.

Uh-oh.... I think the rear tire says 3206!

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:36 PM   #6
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

About brake pads...check out my post. Save some money.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190203
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:40 PM   #7
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Bike idles up to 2.5k? Check valve clearances ...
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #8
Milsparro
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): '87 KLR650, '97 Virago

If it has the stock Dunlops on it, they may be almost done. This bike gets so much better with good tires, too.
Milsparro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #9
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Bike idles up to 2.5k? Check valve clearances ...
Or throw a full can of seafoam into a full tank of gas and do an italian tuneup. My valves are fine but my idle wanders because I've yet to clean the carbs for real

Welcome to the fray, Lauren! Good to see another lady on a two fiddy!

Old July 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Seafoam will clean the engine, but it won't do anything for valve clearance.

I would think a 100-point inspection would include checking the valves to see if they need adjustment, but perhaps not.

Old July 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #11
M42
Wrench wench

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply the seafoam would fix the valves.

Although that would be really nice

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Snowieflake
ninjette.org member

Unfortunately, the 100 point inspection did not include checking the valves.

I just bought all the stuff to change my oil and will attempt to do so either tonight or tomorrow.

Can someone explain to me how to seafoam/clean my carbs? I've been looking on youtube, but just seemed to be getting confused....

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #13
M42
Wrench wench

Well, seafoam is sort of a fuel system spot cleaner, if you will. You add it to your tank of gas, it runs through the system and opens things up a little bit. Use it when the bike's been sitting like two weeks and won't start (and it's not the battery). It's not really a replacement for a good carb cleaning, but it'll work in a pinch. Can't hurt to buy a can. Add the whole thing to a full tank and go for a ride.

For cleaning carbs, refer to the wiki article for the procedure. Actually, check out the whole wiki if you haven't yet. It's got answers to pretty much all the questions, including illustrated writeups for maintenance of all kinds. When I bought my ninja, I had barely any mechanical knowledge - thanks to the wiki, I've been able to do almost all maintenance on my own. Except tires, cause where the hell am I gonna store a balancer in my apartment
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Snowieflake
ninjette.org member

So, update: I just finished changing my oil for the first time!! Yay! I drained the oil, replaced the filter, replaced the gasket on the filter housing (although the gasket that came with the filter seemed to be a little bit too big??) and screwed everything back in. Then I put in 2 quarts of oil and started her up!

The oil seemed to be a little bit cloudy, so I took her for a little ride. I think it's mostly clear now. No leaks so far *crosses fingers*

There was a second, small gasket that came with the filter. Anyone know where this was supposed to go?

I guess my next steps will be to try a bit of seafoam, but she seemed to be idling just around 1-1.5k today.

Old July 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #15
M42
Wrench wench

Remember the cover plate for the oil filter? The one you put the big gasket on? It goes in between that and the oil filter bolt cylinder thing. If you didn't separate them, you don't have to replace it.

Old July 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #16
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowieflake View Post
(although the gasket that came with the filter seemed to be a little bit too big??)
THIS!!! Is it normal?

Old July 27th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #17
M42
Wrench wench

I've noticed the fresh ones always seem big when you squeeze them into the groove on the cover plate. But by the time you replace them, they no longer have the same looseness, so I think it's normal.

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #18
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

The oversize of the gasket is to allow for shrinkage so it doesn't crack and split open causing an oil leak, and as was said you have to pull the bolt from the plate to replace the smaller gasket.

The oil many of us seem to use is the shell rotella T6 synthetic which you can get at walmart for just over $20 for a gallon which is a bargain for synthetic oils.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowieflake View Post

Also, side question: when I'm in neutral, and I have the clutch engaged (clutch lever all the way out), I hear a sort of soft clunking noise that seems to go away when the clutch is disengaged. I took it to a nearby dealer's service facility and the service guy said that the clutch plates were just knocking together. Is this right?
Yep don't worry, this really is a case of "they all do that". Once the carbs are clean and balanced it will largely stop. It's just the clutch slopping back and forth on the slightly uneven crank speed even though it sounds like a big end.
I think I read somewhere that California models have some kind of damper in the clutch case to quieten it. Anybody know more about that?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #20
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
At 6800 miles your valves are probably fine. Mine needed adjusting at around 11,000.

Be safe and enjoy!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #21
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
At 6800 miles your valves are probably fine. Mine needed adjusting at around 11,000.

Be safe and enjoy!
Mine were rather tight around 7500 so I wouldn't wait too long. I ride the piss out of mine so that's probably why but I wouldn't take the chance on a used bike.

Last futzed with by agentbad; July 30th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #22
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
Mine were rather tight around 7500 so I wouldn't wait too long. I ride the piss out of mine so that's probably why but who take the chance on a used bike.
Mine were in dire need of adjustment at 5600, which is why I mentioned it originally up there.