ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

First highway ride?

Hey all, ive been riding the ninja about a month now and i just turned over 300 miles, and did my second oil change on it. I tried to break the bike in like the manual says, but that went out the window when i realized it meant not going over 30-35mph. Ive read a little about break ins on here, and obviously everyone is different. Since then ive hit 11-12k rpms on a few shifts, but i never hold the bike at anything higher than 6k for extended periods. Highway will obviously leaving me holding the bike around 9, just wondering if its still a little too early for that. I plan on doing another oil change at 600 and ill switch to syn at 1,000. thanks
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Ride it normal. Just don't race it right now. Take the highway for a few, then get off at an exit and take some back roads. Thats what I did when I was in my break in. I did all types of riding when I was out. Mixture of highways, city, and back roads. I didn't redline until I hit around 700 miles.

I didn't follow the rules of break in after the 1st 40 miles. I did a lot of reading on here and just did as I stated above. I haven't had any problems from my bike, and i'm comming up on 7,000 miles now.

Old May 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #3
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Hey all, ive been riding the ninja about a month now and i just turned over 300 miles, and did my second oil change on it. I tried to break the bike in like the manual says, but that went out the window when i realized it meant not going over 30-35mph. Ive read a little about break ins on here, and obviously everyone is different. Since then ive hit 11-12k rpms on a few shifts, but i never hold the bike at anything higher than 6k for extended periods. Highway will obviously leaving me holding the bike around 9, just wondering if its still a little too early for that. I plan on doing another oil change at 600 and ill switch to syn at 1,000. thanks
you can go to 11 and 12k rpm, you should. like you said just keep switching up. you want to vary the engines input as much as possible with rpm's and speed, and shifting down as well not just up,up,up. off-highway obviously for much of it. but end up with a hot engine and pull over and let her cool off. then do it again on the way home. hold off on full syntec at 1k miles. i wouldn't even go blended there. wait til 2500, check valves and go with full synth Golden Spectro (top shelf). they don't waste $$ on ads like Mobil 1. Best of luck with whatever you decide, i do have a mailbox if you have questions.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote