ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #121
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Kevin, the video you posted was a PERFECT example of what I mentioned earlier in my first post on this thread. Some riders act like the roads are their very own racetrack. It doesn't surprise me that some drivers get pissed off and road-rage like these guys. IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT AT ALL. But I at least make the correlation between assholes that ride TOO FAST and the drivers of vehicles that want to KILL them.

I teach students all day long that even when they are not guilty of something, based on past behavior, they are perceived as being guilty. This is the issue. Most drivers don't ride motorcycles. It could be argued that a large number of riders, sportriders in particular, are giving ALL riders everywhere a bad name. In other words, the riders using the street as a track cause some drivers (or even most) to perceive ALL riders are selfish, uncaring jerks who treat the road as their own personal playground. AGAIN, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT, FOR THE STUDENTS OR THE RIDERS, BUT IT DOES MAKE IT REALITY.

We as riders need to be riding defensively and take the excess speed to the track (or at the very least, desolate or deserted roads). We sportriders already get a bad enough rap from the squids who want to pull all sorts of stunting on public highways. Experienced riders adding to that because they use the road as a track is not good for the longevity of the sport. Motorcycle hate is everywhere. Look at all the anti-motorcycle laws going up in various parts of the country. Simply because the group as a whole, a minority group I might add, has failed to regulate itself in a manner that is pleasing to the majority. One day we may not have to worry about drivers running motorcyclists off the road because there won't be any motorcycles legally on the road at the rate we're going.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #122
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
You need to take another look at that video I think kkim. The second rider NEVER made any attempt at even wanting to pass the truck. The truck driver wasn't trying to block the second rider but rather trying to catch up to and run over the first rider. The second rider was only keeping up with the truck to keep a visual record of him and to eventually catch up with his riding mate hopefully in enough time to prevent this guy from doing something even more stupid.

You will notice that at no point does the second rider cross the line. You will also notice he tries to keep a safe distance while maintaining visual contact. Whenever the truck slowed down, so did the second rider, he also did not try to use these times to attempt a pass as you seem to suggest. From the looks of the video the second rider had absolutely no intention of passing that truck.

I'm surprised at how people here are shocked to find him stopped. One of the first rules in group riding is that if you get separated, find a place to stop and attempt to regroup. That's all the first rider was doing, stopping to attempt to regroup with his riding buddy.
at 1:21, he's thinking about it, but doesn't have a chance after that as he notices the truck blocking every passing opportunity. it's only then does he drop back and not even try to pass anymore, though I would have dropped back a bit further. hell, I would have stopped following him, period.

stopping to regroup may be the "rules", but when you encounter a driver like this, you need to be smart enough to alter your plans and not place yourself in harms way.

I am glad they are bringing charges against the truck driver and hope others can learn from this vid how not to respond to a aggressive driver and decide alternate ways to deal with this type.

phr3ek- the vid you posted shows exactly why the truck driver had a bias against sport bikes. riding like that belongs on the track, not on the streets. if that's "normal" where you live, I'm glad I don't live where you do. that type of riding is totally unacceptable in my book. I wouldn't ride with a group who rides like that.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #123
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
Again,you're not the authority on what the acceptable level of speeding is. If you find yourself continually having the move over to let others pass, then thats the universe telling you to park it in the right lane for your lesiurely cruise.
You're right, I'm not, but again this isn't Germany, I'm not on the autobahn, and I'm already speeding. If the guy behind me wants to go faster when I'm that far over the speed limit, and a potential $1,000 fine if I so much as slip up and hit another mile per hour over and a cop nails me, he can go around.

The problem with your logic is that you fail to see the argument from the other side. I am not the authority, but nor is he/she. If I am in front, then obviously I was there first and if the person behind me wants to go faster, then they can go around me. If I'm not speeding, then I am in the right lane.

I have just as much right to the road as the guy/girl that wants to run 90-100 instead of the 85 I'm doing.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #124
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
KKim,
Your advice is sage and worthy of serious consideration by all riders. Avoiding an incident like this is part of defensive driving skills. But, while you don't condone the truckers' actions many of us that have been threatened with death want to condem, convict, and procecute the attack just like an aggrevated assault. The video clearly shows malicious intent. The only reason he didn't die is he got around the truck with only inches of pavement remaining.
My first encounter was with a guy that passed me, he turned around and looked over his right shoulder and looked me straight in the eye, then proceeded to turn into me. Only by aggressive braking was I able to not get hit. A few miles later I came upon a Highway Patrol station (Palatka Fl) and described the assault to the trouper on duty and gave him the license plate number. He yawned and said I can't do anything 'cause the guy will deny it. When someone deliberately tries to kill you on the open road KKim it has the same emotional effect as one trying to shoot you for no reason. Your advice to avoid encounters is good for the readership but I think many of us are surprised at your lack of outrage. Cheers to you, Bill
And why was this person "trying to kill" you? Motive? As we've all been told a million times, don't take eye-contact to mean that they see you. Pretend you are invisible. You DO NOT register as another vehicle in the minds of many drivers because so few motorcycles ride on the same streets. Being in motorcycle-heaven, that may not be the case here in SoCal (I've notice FAR fewer such incidents), but the driver may be from out of town!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #125
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
You're right, I'm not, but again this isn't Germany, I'm not on the autobahn, and I'm already speeding. If the guy behind me wants to go faster when I'm that far over the speed limit, and a potential $1,000 fine if I so much as slip up and hit another mile per hour over and a cop nails me, he can go around.

The problem with your logic is that you fail to see the argument from the other side. I am not the authority, but nor is he/she. If I am in front, then obviously I was there first and if the person behind me wants to go faster, then they can go around me. If I'm not speeding, then I am in the right lane.

I have just as much right to the road as the guy/girl that wants to run 90-100 instead of the 85 I'm doing.
yep, everyone that goes slower than me is a god damn blockage and everyone that goes faster than me is just effin' crazy!

seriously, it's called "courtesy of the road". If you are in the left lane and there are others coming up from behind you, move over and let them by.

a post from long ago, but seems fitting for this thread...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26276&

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #126
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I hope you are kidding. Number one, you have to consider how it causes others to perceive and treat us as a whole and not just the temporary inconvenience. Number two, escalating it is exactly what the truck did wrong. The biker throwing a rock at the truck is absolutely NOT what anyone should have done and it's only going to cause MORE cager-relations problems for bikers in the future.
not kidding
just think about it this way, a truck tried to run you off the road, he then taunted you by tapping your bike, you honestly think most ppl would have just backed off and let it slide?
in the 1st vid, they were the only ones in that specific stretch of road, absolutely no reason to "block" anyone

there are times when ppl have cut me off and i let it go
but if i get get provoked, i will do something, i wont just let it slide a 2nd time

if the driver had problems with another biker, that is his problem, let him deal with it at his own time, not on the road
he has no right to randomly take it out on ANY rider he sees

Quote:
The trucks in both cases were most likely NOT trying to kill the bikers. They were probably trying to BLOCK them. Yes, that may have been just as deadly, but making more sinister assumptions is partly what escalated things.
ok, lets say they just wanted to block them......BUT WHY?!?!
the riders clearly went to the other side of the road to pass them
they werent even trying to get the truckers to scoot over
in the 1st vid, the group is only 2 ppl, if the bikers did do something, he can easily bump both of the road, he even came out with a crowbar at the end
in the 2nd vid, he waited for the last person of the group

Quote:
Pull over and put some distance between you if you get stuck behind someone. Come back at a different time or on a low traffic day if traffic is still a problem. If you justify acting like a jerk on the motorcycle, don't be surprised when people begin to treat all of us like this whether we passed them illegally or not.

idk what type of rider you are but the riders in the vids are avid canyon carvers/track riders, you can tell by their attire
as i said b4, NONE of those type of riders will let 1 bad driver ruin the days ride

ppl can perceive us however they want
but facts are facts, trucker deliberately went out of their way to "block" a motorcyclist
just because they think im a douchbag, reckless, gang banging biker doesnt mean i am one
stereotypes label any and every group of ppl
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #127
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail

Well my friends I have some good news. The riders in the video are working closely with the autorities to put this douche bag behind bars!! Although no details can be released yet, it looks like the driver is going to legally get his. Thank you for all of your support. To all of you who are so concerned with the riders passing on a double yellow, let it go. The authorities have stated that the pass is of NO CONCERN TO THEM! Justice for the attempted murder of our fellow riders is on its way.

Posted on Youtube comment section. The second one is posted by the vid maker.
That's great news. Lets hope the drunken redneck gets some time in jail. Actually, sentence him to 24 years, suspended provided that he only be allowed to ride a motorcycle and never a truck or car for those 24 years. Now that would be poetic justice.

I read some of the comments on youtube. Its amazing how many biker haters there are out there. Truly amazing. I didn't do anything to these people, and yet they hate me because I ride a motorcycle.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #128
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Its amazing how many biker haters there are out there. Truly amazing. I didn't do anything to these people, and yet they hate me because I ride a motorcycle.
believe it... and ride accordingly.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #129
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Kelly, I agree it is courteous. It is also potentially dangerous pulling that "nice" maneuver here in the Atlanta area. More often than not, if the driver behind you has the room in the next lane, he/she will already be in the next lane and be passing you by the time you could react, given that you should have been giving more attention to what's going on in front of you, than to what's going on behind you. So what seems like a polite gesture could be a recipe for disaster.

I'll point out the autobahn one more time. As I understand it there, it is common courtesy (and I believe a law) to move over for faster traffic. Everyone does it. Here in the states, where we as a nation are lacking in real driving skills to begin with, not everyone adheres to the rules. My mother and my mother-in-law are perfect examples. These two women are the type of driver to get into the left lane five miles early to make a left turn, even though they are driving 10 mph under the limit. These women are the type of driver, who if they needed to make a quick change to the right for faster traffic to pass, would probably have an accident; this is assuming they would get over in the first place (they wouldn't). U.S. road are littered with drivers like this all over the place. Let's see, there is also the driver who drives in the left lane at 20 over, then 20 under, because they are texting. Or the minivan mom who thinks she's a NASCAR star, and runs 100 in the left lane, but always needs two lanes to actually turn. Too many variables are in place in the American driving experience to make consistently getting over for a faster vehicle a safe task.

Like I said, if I am driving the speed limit, I do stay in the right lane, right up to the point it may be necessary for me to need to make a left turn. When I am speeding, I make sure I am going considerably over the speed limit. In light traffic, I will get over for faster vehicles. But then again, in light traffic, I am probably already in the right so I don't have to get over.

FWIW, if it weren't for speed limits, I would always be one of the fastest drivers in the left lane.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #130
phr3ek
meow?

Quote:
I DON'T think he was trying to run anyone over. He was attempting to block, realized that he nearly caused a potentially deadly accident, then tried to get away from the witness that was now tailing him. He may have wanted the bike in front to feel threatened so that they would both pull over and he could go on, but he was probably just panicing at that point. He may have thought they would jump him (hence, the crowbar) or knew that they were going to call the police.
and that is just as big as a assumption as the "trying to kill" one
lets just be real, when we are faced with a life or death situation, we naturally think the WORST that could happen
whether the trucker was just trying to block or kill the guy, he was the cause of the problem
the trucker did not need to move from where he was at as the rider clearly went to the other lane

though riders crossing the lane is unsafe/illegal, it is more dangerous for both a bike and a truck in the opposing lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
AGAIN, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT, FOR THE STUDENTS OR THE RIDERS, BUT IT DOES MAKE IT REALITY.
this
we can preach about who's right and who's wrong and how things should be
but that wont change a thing

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #131
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yep, everyone that goes slower than me is a god damn blockage and everyone that goes faster than me is just effin' crazy!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #132
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
-idk what type of rider you are but the riders in the vids are avid canyon carvers/track riders, you can tell by their attire.

-as i said b4, NONE of those type of riders will let 1 bad driver ruin the days ride

but facts are facts, trucker deliberately went out of their way to "block" a motorcyclist just because they think im a douchbag, reckless, gang banging biker doesnt mean i am one stereotypes label any and every group of ppl
Let's get this out there, WE ALL STEREOTYPE ALL THE TIME.

We see a honda, we call 'em ricers.
We see a muscle car, we call 'em gearheads.
We see a Ford pickup, we call 'em rednecks.

Canyon carving, don't get me wrong, looks like a lot of fun, but it's also illegal. You can't legally go upwards of 80mph in any back roads. Especially where they were, I live 5 minutes away.

Just ride safe and not angry/vindictive is all I can say.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #133
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
I DON'T think he was trying to run anyone over. He was attempting to block, realized that he nearly caused a potentially deadly accident, then tried to get away from the witness that was now tailing him. He may have wanted the bike in front to feel threatened so that they would both pull over and he could go on, but he was probably just panicing at that point. He may have thought they would jump him (hence, the crowbar) or knew that they were going to call the police.
I disagree, he chased that first bike down hard core. After he lost him his actions were not that of a panicked driver trying to flee from someone, but rather of a road raged driver not caring who he hurts in his blind rage. Look at how he jumps out of his truck while it is still in gear. He could have just easily took off from that point. He didn't, instead he jumped out of his truck ready to take heads. So blind in his rage against the biker in the front he neglected to notice both his truck still in gear and the second biker come from behind.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #134
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
not kidding
just think about it this way, a truck tried to run you off the road, he then taunted you by tapping your bike, you honestly think most ppl would have just backed off and let it slide?
in the 1st vid, they were the only ones in that specific stretch of road, absolutely no reason to "block" anyone
I honestly EXPECT them to, especially if the truck has now proven to be even more of a threat to their life. There are now TWO assumptions going on though... one is that the truck tried to run the bike off the road and the other is that the truck tried to tap the bike. The bike was trying to block the truck by driving slow and the truck may not have been able to slow fast enough or was trying to scare the bike into speeding up and accidentally went too far.

Quote:
there are times when ppl have cut me off and i let it go
but if i get get provoked, i will do something, i wont just let it slide a 2nd time

if the driver had problems with another biker, that is his problem, let him deal with it at his own time, not on the road
he has no right to randomly take it out on ANY rider he sees
Escalation is NOT a solution.

Quote:
ok, lets say they just wanted to block them......BUT WHY?!?!
the riders clearly went to the other side of the road to pass them
they werent even trying to get the truckers to scoot over
in the 1st vid, the group is only 2 ppl, if the bikers did do something, he can easily bump both of the road, he even came out with a crowbar at the end
in the 2nd vid, he waited for the last person of the group
The "WHY?!" doesn't matter any more than "WHY?!" they wanted to pass illegally. The fact is, blocking is far more common than murdering and if the same thing happened to a car no one would be saying "murder."

Quote:
idk what type of rider you are but the riders in the vids are avid canyon carvers/track riders, you can tell by their attire
as i said b4, NONE of those type of riders will let 1 bad driver ruin the days ride
Doesn't make it OK.

Quote:
but facts are facts, trucker deliberately went out of their way to "block" a motorcyclist
just because they think im a douchbag, reckless, gang banging biker doesnt mean i am one
stereotypes label any and every group of ppl
He didn't do it to you either. He did it to someone who fit the stereotype and helped reinforce it (the biker could easily be described as a "reckless douche"). Justifying it there will only justify his stereotyping you and me.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #135
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I disagree, he chased that first bike down hard core. After he lost him his actions were not that of a panicked driver trying to flee from someone, but rather of a road raged driver not caring who he hurts in his blind rage. Look at how he jumps out of his truck while it is still in gear. He could have just easily took off from that point. He didn't, instead he jumped out of his truck ready to take heads. So blind in his rage against the biker in the front he neglected to notice both his truck still in gear and the second biker come from behind.
If he was so willing to run them over or into a tree with his truck, then why DIDN'T he swing? He was also drunk, which explains a lot.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #136
phr3ek
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
Let's get this out there, WE ALL STEREOTYPE ALL THE TIME.

We see a honda, we call 'em ricers.
We see a muscle car, we call 'em gearheads.
We see a Ford pickup, we call 'em rednecks.

Canyon carving, don't get me wrong, looks like a lot of fun, but it's also illegal. You can't legally go upwards of 80mph in any back roads. Especially where they were, I live 5 minutes away.

Just ride safe and not angry/vindictive is all I can say.
canyon carving is not illegal, speeding is the one thats illegal

i do ride safe and conservative, for about 5 min at a time
but seriously, when i get cut off, i get mad, pass the guy, and go about my way
i dont want a clouded mind to potentially get me into an accident in traffic

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #137
phr3ek
meow?

jet, i honestly dont understand your train of thought
why would you expect a driver to suddenly cut you off on purpose?
i mean i think the same way, in traffic, but that's usually because they didnt see me
but out in an open road, i just dont see why a driver would feel the need to block me (first vid)
it's not like im forcing him to move over so i can pass, or get in front of him and brake....

as for the tapping in the 2nd vid, you could be right, maybe he just wanted to tailgate to make the rider go faster and accidentally tapped him
but why didnt he pull over and apologize?
also i noticed he almost hit an oncoming car at 1:37 trying to pass the cruiser in front of him, because he was attempting to get away from the rider chasing him

i do understand that you're trying to point out that we as riders should not add to the bad rep we already hold

ps. im done with this thread, too much assumptions flying around
we wont find who's wrong and who's wronger without facts

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #138
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Playing with fire is another term I like. Walking on a golf course in the middle of a thunderstorm is playing with fire(or asking for it). Throwing rocks at a bees nest is playing with fire(or asking for it). etc. Unlike the incident leading up to the slut walks I think you are referring to, "asking for it" is a perfectly legitimate reason to question someone's intelligence. No one intends it as an excuse for the perpetrator, but as a question of the victims intelligence. These 2 riders made a slew of dumb mistakes that lead to me wonder how smart they are.

As for no one ever asking for it, go ask any half intelligent woman how smart it is to wonder around alone at night. The vast majority will always have someone with them. Hell, I wouldn't even wonder around alone at night in certain areas of my own town, because "I would be asking for it"
What you are saying is a contradiction. Rape and sexual harassment are acts of engaging someone in sexual activities without his or her consent. A person cannot withhold consent and also give consent, "asking for it", at the same time.

A woman may walk the streets at any hour, in any neighborhood, dressed however she wants, flirt and even engage in consensual sex with a partner. At any time, she withholds consent or is incapable of giving consent due to her mental state, the right thing to do is stop. No matter a person did or said before that point, it takes a rapist to cross that line and violate another human being. You may not intend it, but you are making excuses for the perpetrator of rape by blaming the victim. A person cannot ask to be violated against and there is no shared blame.

Questioning a rape victim's intelligence for putting herself in the situation is in extremely poor taste and serves no purpose other than affirm the worldview of "people get what they deserve". It is a worldview that is tied closely with our sense of safety and control, and people naturally defend it. In its defense, people come to the conclusion that something horrific and unjust was done onto a person because he or she had something to do in causing the event. Some blame intelligence. Others blame character. People come to this conclusion because they would like to believe that if they are smarter and more careful, they may prevent these horrific and unjust things from happening to them and their loved ones. The sooner a person realizes that this is an illusion of control, the sooner he or she can truly live their lives free from the troubles of life. Life may be suffering, but one does not necessarily have to suffer through it.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #139
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Wow, just wow. Some of the opinions in this thread are as bad, if not worse, than the video.

1st video:

The bike was in the wrong for passing on a double yellow. Whether passing on a double yellow is legal or not in your state, it's a law designed to keep people from getting stuck behind farm equipment or extremely slow drivers i.e. people who are lost. It is NOT designed so you can blow past them at whatever speed you feel like because they aren't keeping up to your pace.

As far as the truck driver, I hope they nail his ass to the wall. I HATE drunk drivers. I've buried far to many friends because some drunk **** decided to get behind the wheel, only to walk away without a scratch after killing someone. Personally I think a DUI should be an automatic loss of license, permanently. There is absolutely no way to justify driving while drunk, none. If you think so, you're a freaking idiot.

The biker who passed and then stopped at the sign didn't do anything wrong when he stopped. His bike was parked in a manner where he could have quickly gotten on and taken off. Odds are he stopped to make sure his buddy was still on two wheels and was waiting for him to catch up.

The biker who held back probably stayed with the truck to keep track of him. As far as him stopping completely, no way. I would keep going to make sure my buddy didn't go down while trying to get away. Although he probably should have dropped back a bit further once he had the truck's plate.

2nd video:

Those riders should have their license pulled too. Again, absolutely no excuse for driving the way they were. As far as the truck, yea, stupid move on his part. The rider blowing past so he could get ahead, stop, and confront the driver, bullshit. Throwing something at a moving vehicle is just as bad, if not worse, than what the truck did. That is probably one of the very, very few times where I will say someone was asking for it.

The truck drivers in both videos were in the wrong. The bikers were not affecting them in any way (the second video is arguable) and they decided to take matters into their own hands. Good way to get yourself and others killed.

As far as speeding, I do it too. However, I speed to go with the flow of traffic, or when the road is completely deserted when I'm going cross country. If you can't go with the flow of traffic and feel the need to blow past them or not have a little common courtesy, you shouldn't be driving/riding. I just love how people can complain about other drivers yet admit to being part of the problem all in the same breath. Hypocrisy at its finest.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #140
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
jet, i honestly dont understand your train of thought
why would you expect a driver to suddenly cut you off on purpose?
i mean i think the same way, in traffic, but that's usually because they didnt see me
but out in an open road, i just dont see why a driver would feel the need to block me (first vid)
it's not like im forcing him to move over so i can pass, or get in front of him and brake....

as for the tapping in the 2nd vid, you could be right, maybe he just wanted to tailgate to make the rider go faster and accidentally tapped him
but why didnt he pull over and apologize?
also i noticed he almost hit an oncoming car at 1:37 trying to pass the cruiser in front of him, because he was attempting to get away from the rider chasing him

i do understand that you're trying to point out that we as riders should not add to the bad rep we already hold

ps. im done with this thread, too much assumptions flying around
we wont find who's wrong and who's wronger without facts
Why would the truck driver expect the motorcyclist to suddenly cut him off after an illegal pass? Does that make any more/less sense?

The major difference is that the motorcyclist is in a lot more danger but that is not what an enraged driver is thinking about and not some reason for a rider to expect less retaliation. Do you honestly expect a rager to consider that before acting impulsively? If he did, it wouldn't be a rage-induced compulsion.

Old May 28th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #141
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Unhappy Alternative Interpretation

Putting reckless drivers of cages in cages spoils all the fun.

Every time I get on the bike I know that all other people - including other motorcyclists - are trying to commit vehicular manslaughter as soon as they see me.

It's harder to aim a car on a wet road, so riding in the rain is an act of extreme cowardice, as is riding a black bike at night in all-black gear with the intention to be less likely singled out as a target, so real daredevils wear bright colors.
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #142
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowspeed Lowside View Post
Putting reckless drivers of cages in cages spoils all the fun.

Every time I get on the bike I know that all other people - including other motorcyclists - are trying to commit vehicular manslaughter as soon as they see me.

It's harder to aim a car on a wet road, so riding in the rain is an act of extreme cowardice, as is riding a black bike at night in all-black gear with the intention to be less likely singled out as a target, so real daredevils wear bright colors.
LOL!

Well played, Hans, well played.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #143
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

seriously, it's called "courtesy of the road". If you are in the left lane and there are others coming up from behind you, move over and let them by.
In Texas, it's the law.

It doesn't matter if you're going 5 below, the speed limit, or 20 above: If a vehicle is going faster than you, you are required to move over to let them pass if safe to do so.

Sadly, not enough people are pulled over for being that stupid.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #144
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
The bike was in the wrong for passing on a double yellow.
So? The fine for that is $10, not death. And who elected a drunken redneck to be judge, jury and executioner?

Quote:
Although he probably should have dropped back a bit further once he had the truck's plate.
Getting the plate doesn't guarantee they will catch or convict the drunk. Suppose they show up at his home 4 hours later. Any alcohol in his system would have left and if he's still drunk he would just say he had a few after he got home. That is assuming that he doesn't just say "Yeah, I loaned it to a guy for $50 to haul stuff and I don't know who he was."

To convict in the case of this video, the DA needs the two riders to testify "Yeah, that's the guy." Getting the tag is a big help, but in noways guarantees a conviction. If the bikers had just pulled off somewhere and let him go after getting the tag, neither could testify as to who was really behind the wheel. Case dismissed.

Quote:
The truck drivers in both videos were in the wrong.
Dam straight. Its also important to note that the truckers committed felonies and endangered lives by their intentional actions. The bikers only commited minor traffic infractions and had malice toward none.

In the first video the drunk got caught. In the second, he got off easy with a dinged fender. Very light considering he's guilty of a hit and run.

Old May 28th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #145
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Motorcycles passing cars in double yellow is likely the reason that most drivers hate motorcycles.

There was not a whole lot of video footage prior to the passing, maybe the motorcyclist was tailgating that truck for a good amount of time?

I pass cars during double yellow all the time, but I make sure that I pass them quickly and there will be catching up for the car to try and ram me from behind.

Poor judgment on both vehicle operators from what I could see.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #146
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Its a really simple concept, I dont know why its so hard for everyone to grasp.

Bikers - minor traffic violation, for crossing double yellow, and perhaps a speeding ticket.
Trucker - Attempted murder, DUI, brandishing a weapon during a felony, reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon...the list goes on an on.

This idiot truck driver nearly killed at least 6 motorcyclists on his drunken rampage. The idiot tryed to run the guy off the road, and then tried to speed up to run him over...just barely missing other innocent motorcyclists in possible head-on collisions.

If I was the biker in front, I would have stopped at the next stop sign too, to make sure that crazy SOB didnt kill any of my buddies with his drunk driving rampage of hate. And the first time that drunken psycho stepped out of his truck with a crowbar, I would have shot him.

I hope he never gets out of jail.

I also agree with RhinoJC....you get caught drunk driving, you should lose your license permanently. No excuses, no second chances.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #147
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post

This idiot truck driver nearly killed at least 6 motorcyclists on his drunken rampage. The idiot tryed to run the guy off the road, and then tried to speed up to run him over...just barely missing other innocent motorcyclists in possible head-on collisions.
Actually, the video played in reverse there. I didn't see any other motorcyclists after the incident.

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #148
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I didnt count them but there was at least 3 bikes going the other way. 1 of which had to change his underware for sure when he got home.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #149
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:

To convict in the case of this video, the DA needs the two riders to testify "Yeah, that's the guy." Getting the tag is a big help, but in noways guarantees a conviction. If the bikers had just pulled off somewhere and let him go after getting the tag, neither could testify as to who was really behind the wheel. Case dismissed.
Regardless, you should not further risk your life for a conviction. You may think that you're ultimately saving a life but that's a huge assumption too.

Quote:

In the first video the drunk got caught. In the second, he got off easy with a dinged fender. Very light considering he's guilty of a hit and run.
You might have missed that the rider threw a rock at the end that very well may have busted the windshield and certainly did some kind of damage.

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #150
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I didnt count them but there was at least 3 bikes going the other way. 1 of which had to change his underware for sure when he got home.
Yeah. Watched it again and there were exactly three. Good thing he got back on his side for the third!

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #151
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:

but either way, ever since ive been riding my bike, i have become a very docile and attentive driver
before i was in the fast lane going 90+, now i just lay back with the rest of the traffic and fall asleep
i hate driving now
Mr. I got pulled over going 100+ to the tech day
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #152
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I live near the area of the first vid, and have ridden that road. Scary, truly scary...... I can say first hand, the locals in this area do not like the sport bikes riding 90mph through their little out of the way towns.

Now... For this area of Kentucky passing on a double yellow is a common practice and not just for bikes either. Cars do it all the time. The farmers drive slow pulling hay, cows... ect as do alot of the locals.

I am kinda with kkim, put as much space as possible between you and "stupidity" no matter the form it takes. And don't stop to let it catch back up with you. This goes for me on a bike, in a car or on foot. And let the police or nature deal with what is out of authority.

Its kinda simple overall. If the locals are hating bikes enough to do things like this, find somewhere else to ride, or make an effort to respect their part of the world as you are the visitor.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #153
phr3ek
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Mr. I got pulled over going 100+ to the tech day
LOL, you got me there

i go fast when i feel like im going to doze off, keeps me awake, then i slow back down
i'd rather speed attentively than weave around asleep

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #154
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
LOL, you got me there

i go fast when i feel like im going to doze off, keeps me awake, then i slow back down
i'd rather speed attentively than weave around asleep
I like the way you think lol I'm glad I have a 250 cuz it wont get me in too much speeding trouble

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #155
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I live near the area of the first vid, and have ridden that road.
Did this video make the news up there?

As far as why the second rider didn't run off and hide, I think that is only proper group biking etiquette. The whole point of going in a group is so that if you get in trouble, someone has your back. If you plan to run and hide the minute there is trouble, I don't want you riding with me.

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #156
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Ok...what does the vid show;
Biker attempts to pass illegally
Trucker swerves...."well shucks yer honor...I was trying to get outta that crazy boys way"
Biker complete illegal maneuver
A second biker follows trucker
Trucker continues to drive erratically..."well shucks yer honor...I thought that boy was-a chasin' me"
Bikers confront trucker...."see yer honor, them boys wuz after me and i was in fear for my life"
...now, while everybody knows what happened all that's shown is 3 guys breaking traffic laws ( and the good ol' trucker DID slow down to avoid that lil' golf cart" and 2 guys confronting 1. That vid would get the bikers in trouble, not the trucker.
Hey, c'mon...we all cross the double line when there's some slug ahead of us but now, this vid let's you see that you better theink twice before you do it.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #157
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Ok...what does the vid show;
Biker attempts to pass illegally
Trucker swerves...."well shucks yer honor...I was trying to get outta that crazy boys way"
Biker complete illegal maneuver
A second biker follows trucker
Trucker continues to drive erratically..."well shucks yer honor...I thought that boy was-a chasin' me"
Bikers confront trucker...."see yer honor, them boys wuz after me and i was in fear for my life"
...now, while everybody knows what happened all that's shown is 3 guys breaking traffic laws ( and the good ol' trucker DID slow down to avoid that lil' golf cart" and 2 guys confronting 1. That vid would get the bikers in trouble, not the trucker.
Hey, c'mon...we all cross the double line when there's some slug ahead of us but now, this vid let's you see that you better theink twice before you do it.
Im sorry Brother, but I think Papa John's put some magic 'shroomson your pizza last night. There is no reasonable, mentally functioning human being on the planet that could view that video and decide that the bikers would get in more trouble than the truck driver.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #158
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nope, it didn't make the news that I know of. I am not a big TV watcher though. I will see what I can dig up.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #159
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
Im sorry Brother, but I think Papa John's put some magic 'shroomson your pizza last night. There is no reasonable, mentally functioning human being on the planet that could view that video and decide that the bikers would get in more trouble than the truck driver.
I completely agree with you!

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #160
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I live near the area of the first vid, and have ridden that road. Scary, truly scary...... I can say first hand, the locals in this area do not like the sport bikes riding 90mph through their little out of the way towns.

Now... For this area of Kentucky passing on a double yellow is a common practice and not just for bikes either. Cars do it all the time. The farmers drive slow pulling hay, cows... ect as do alot of the locals.

I am kinda with kkim, put as much space as possible between you and "stupidity" no matter the form it takes. And don't stop to let it catch back up with you. This goes for me on a bike, in a car or on foot. And let the police or nature deal with what is out of authority.

Its kinda simple overall. If the locals are hating bikes enough to do things like this, find somewhere else to ride, or make an effort to respect their part of the world as you are the visitor.
thank you for your perspective.