ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #81
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Yea as a new rider the Ninjette is more of an "entrance" into the bigger picture of the motorcycle world. Don't get me wrong, it's more than capable on the street and for commuting purposes, but some of us "newbies" haven't gotten all of the stupid out of our systems yet.

That being said, my dream bike is a Triumph Speed Triple. I saw one pass the train station on my way to work a few mornings ago and I almost wet my pants (it was green btw, Kelly ).
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #82
hogfan83
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
The Ninja 250 is my first bike. I've ridden dirt bikes before, but none of my own. Eventually I'd like to get a Ducati 848. I appreciate that bike for what it is, and what it is not. I guess I'm on the upward slope of motorcycling and not a plateau or down slope like some of the other riders are. I'd still like to upgrade and see what other options are like. That doesn't mean I'll like the Ducati or won't go back to a Ninja, but it's something I'd like to own. I have not and will not ride another bike (other than another 250) until I am 100% commited to purchasing another bike. I don't feel like I should tempt myself with the power of a bigger bike. Knowing me I'll become addicted with it and bored with my 250. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be ready for another bike. As for now, I love mine.
i was suprised with a white 08 848 about a week and a half ago and let me tell you its frickin awesome! it doesnt rattle my teeth out at 75 miles an hour and it sounds like a beast. that being said sometimes while city driving i do miss the shifting of teh 250 since all i need is second gear until about 80 mph!

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #83
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My ninjette is great and I don't see myself parting with it anytime soon. I hadn't ridden in seven years when I rode her home. The ninjette is a big step up from the first bike I ever rode(honda trail 90) , but is nothing like the SV 650 I road when I was 18. I like the 250 because it is light and nimble.

Over the summer I plan on letting my wife build some confidence on it and once she is comforatble enough to ride regularly I probably buy a CBR 600 and my wife will ride the ninjette.

Even though the ninjette is weak compaired to the 600 cc bikes, It is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. In the short time I've had it I already have built an emotional bond to the bike and cannot see any reason I would get rid of it.
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #84
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
Even though the ninjette is weak compared to the 600 cc bikes, It is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. In the short time I've had it I already have built an emotional bond to the bike and cannot see any reason I would get rid of it.
That's the beauty of having this be my first bike, I have no basis of comparison, and so wish for nothing more. Anything above 6,000rpm seems like crazy fun power to me (more like power to weight ratio, but you get the idea) This is especially because my only other mode of transportation is a 4dr sedan with like 120hp. So my ninjette rips compared to that!
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #85
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #86
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

My Ninja is all the bike I need for around town, for trips to the twisties, and for commuting. Period. It doesn't come up short. But... for long days in the saddle or riding two up, I need more bike. I've done some long days on the bike lately, and the seat is torturous after a few hours, and the leg position starts to suffer too. All the bikes I have owned have been sports or dual sports, but I am seriously looking at Harleys at this point. They're not as functional performance wise, but they're better for carrying passengers and making longer trips. Forward controls and foot boards are looking more and more attractive.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #87
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Jody, I just bought and sold a Dyna Super Glide (I've had many Harleys). Having a few sport bikes right now( my kids are riding them but I use whenever they are available) I miss having a Harley in the stable. My all time favorite bike was my Harley Lowrider. I'm seriously looking at getting another Dyne Super Glide Sport. I'm going to look at one next week and if I can low ball the guy into giving it away I'm going to buy it. It is in Maine so I'll have to ride it home (I'm from Daytona) but I think it will be a good ride. If you can afford to have both a cruiser and a sport bike it will make you a happy man. If you can add a dual sport and dirt bike then life will be perfect.

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #88
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

I got my 250 knowing full well I was in the market for a bigger bike eventually, hence the f4i. Not the latest and greatest, still being careful- didn't go with an RR or anything, I just wanted a bit more power to keep up with the guys. I also honestly just prefer fuel-injected, didn't like the carbs very much.

Have nothing against 250s, could definitely see myself on one again especially for track if it were a newer model. I don't think wanting to stick with a 250 is wrong, and i don't think wanting something bigger is wrong. Personal preference and nobody's smarter, more mature, or more experienced for making either decision.

And i'm with CC-everyone needs one of everything!
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #89
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I can't really afford one of everything

I still have other obligations like the mortgage, electricity, groceries, kid expenses, the occasional Martin guitar...

My interests seem to be leaning towards longer trips these days. I don't want to fit in with the herd out there, plodding along on a cruiser, but it might better suit my needs.

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #90
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

after different techniques, it doesn't seem the ninja will work for riding two up with my wife. i only have room for two cars and one bike in our tandem parking stall. she enjoys riding with me, but the pain to her knees gets unbearable at times.

we have been shopping for sports-tourers. there aren't many on the market it seems. don't want one with too big an engine. planning on taking a bmw f800st for a test ride in a few weeks. it was really comfortable for her when we sat on it in the showroom. she loves it. not a bike that gets me really excited, but if it will allow me to bring her along for rides, i will do it. would rather have the honda interceptor, but it seems that the dealers here don't bring that bike in because it is a slow seller.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #91
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Two up is getting to be an issue for me. Several women have wanted to go for a ride with me, and I tried it once, and it just wasn't a good fit.

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #92
kkim

Gary,

I see a few for sale on CL... one of them on kauai.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/searc...min&maxAsk=max

That bike would serve an excellent compromise, if it fits the wife.

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #93
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

On my first ride with my 250 i wanted a ZX6 right away. But now that i see i don't need more cc's i'll keep it for a year and then see if i want to upgrade next year. If i do i will keep my 250 also.

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #94
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

kelly, appreciate it. yeah saw those. been checking cl periodically. the one on hilo looks promising, but i don't want to have to fly there with my wife to go and look at it, then if we like it, try to work out the shipping arrangements.

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #95
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Gary, have you thought about the Connie?

Old June 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #96
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Gary, have you thought about the Connie?
lol. i had to google what connie means. wow..... the concours 14? seems like the jump from a 250cc sport to a 1352cc supersport tourer is quite drastic. first impression is that it seems like it may be too much bike for me to handle. but thanks for the suggestion. i am going to start researching it. it is a nice looking bike.

Old June 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #97
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
kelly, appreciate it. yeah saw those. been checking cl periodically. the one on hilo looks promising, but i don't want to have to fly there with my wife to go and look at it, then if we like it, try to work out the shipping arrangements.
there was a guy selling a pristine white, newer VFR800 in Mililani a few months back on CL. I was tempted myself ... they are awesome bikes.

check the weight of the bikes you're considering.

gl

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #98
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I agree it is a big jump, but with the bike weighing more and carrying the weight of a passenger, it might not be as drastic as it seems on first glance, IDK....

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #99
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I enjoy my 250 , great for the backroads i ride, and i rarely hit the highway, but my dealer has a 2008 ZZR600 with 555 miles for $5,200. good mix of power and comfort. I was away for the weekend, hopefully dealer sold the zzr while i was away!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #100
kkim

more weight is more weight when you come to a stop and are supporting the bike, passenger and yourself.

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #101
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Keeping the Kawi N-650 in mind should I decide to upgrade. The only reason being is longer distance riding and a better 2-up configuration. A little more "wind weight added" would cut a little of the meandering of the 250. That said, I love my 09 N-250. I see no need to push past 100 mph... the 250 has enough power to wrap you tightly around a tree as does any big bike. The mileage is great, cost to run minimal, and insurance easy on the pocket book. So unless I really need.. need.. that 650 I'm staying with the 250 for a long time..
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #102
mick37
ninjette.org newbie

Name: mick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250cc ninja

I sold my Suzuki Savage (650cc single) three weeks ago so I could buy my 09 Ninja 250.
I have always thought that 250cc was a great capacity, I do miss my Savage with the saddle bags for groceries and stuff,maybe next year I can pick up an old one cheap just for shopping. But the Ninja is THE bike for me ,it's way faster than the Savage,and handles like a dream,for the life of me I cannot fault the little ninja,for me it's perfect.
Nothing like my first 250, a 1937 "Rudge", if you missed a gear on that puppy ,you would looking back down the road for your push rods,very hairy.
mick37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #103
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

I was originally planning on getting an SV650, but on an impulse picked up the ex250 instead. I love it so far - we'll see how things look in a few years
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #104
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

This is my first motorcycle that I own or ridden. I bought the bike to learn to ride. I have been every impressed with it so far (look, handing and power). I think I have learned a lot more from riding the 250 vs 600 or 1000. That being said I have a friend that has a GSXR600 that bought his bike before me and I have way more miles that he does. It seems like he never want to ride. I just don't think he has found the enjoyment that I have found riding my little 250.

I would like to get a bigger bike maybe a ninja 650R, Suzuki GSX650F or Yamaha FZ6R. But that won't be anytime soon as I am still learning, maybe in a year or 3. Also if I do get a bigger bike I will be keeping the 250.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #105
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

This is my second bike, my first was the CBR125R (don't think you can buy them in the states). The CBR125 was a spectacular bike, EFI, 4 stroke, liquid cooled, all around great technology. The only major problem I had with it was the weight, it was around 260lbs, which made it really scary to have on the highway or in any reasonable wind.

The Ninja 250 has been much better in this regard, and I pretty much take it anywhere and everywhere. I'd consider moving up to a larger bike if I could get even more stability, as long as it was comfortable. I'm thinking sport touring or something... someday.

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #106
unowned
ninjette.org member

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): NINJA 250R 08

I plan on switching to a 600 next season, but not until I get my the most out of my ninja as possible.

Everyone has their own reasons for riding, be it vanity, small balls syndrome, the thrill of it, or just pure unadulterated enjoyment. I have no yet owned anything larger than the 250, though I have ridden the gixxer 600 and 09 zx6r on the track.

The thing that tears me up inside is what i'll be missing by letting go of the 250 next year, there's just so much it can teach so quickly, that a bigger bike would struggle to or not even be able to. However, as a rider with only 2 years of experience under my belt, I feel the need to explore and experiment (just like the effects that gateway drugs have on their users) with other different machines. I really wanna get into some motocross riding as well to further expand my riding skills.
unowned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #107
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I plan on keeping the 250 for commuting and local rides. I'll probably pick up something in the BMW GS family for long tours/off road riding. If the wife changes bike, I'll probably turn her 250 into a track bike.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #108
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Well this April 2009 i got my Ninja 250R (RED). Its my First motorcycle!
I picked it for a Combo of reasons...
The 61MPG *est* (im getting 63.2 - 65.7 currently after 1,537 miles)...
The LOOKS OF IT! Wow, ppl think its a 600
The Cost!

Now since ive never ridden anyother Bike b4... i cant compare the bikes performence and stuff, but so far...
I find it AGILE like a Squirrel (anywhere from 10-45MPH)
Goes around a 90 degree turn with Ease! (using the right Speed)
ITS FUN AS HELL TO JUST RIDE!!!

Hmm theres many other things i can add, but most of you others already have beat me to it.

I plan on KEEPING my 250 until im FORCED to SELL IT! Or live to be 100+ years old (then ill donate it to the smithsonian)
In afew years id Love to get a Faster Bike, Ideally a New ZX-6R! (or a 600cc bike of any make, if the ZX-6R at the time, is crap and ugly as hell)

If thats the case, ill have a 250R for Fun and great Fuel economy, and a nice FAST powerful ZX-6R, to play with when the Day calls for it!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #109
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I don't really know what I'm going to do. I sometimes think I'll get a 600 sometime soon once I feel I'm skilled enough to use it on the track.

I'm not really interested in going fast in a straight line and not too concerned with high horsepower acceleration, so I'm really in no rush to get myself a 600 track bike.

I just want some more aftermarket support for track oriented parts... Clip ons, rearsets, etc.
Well.

I got a CBR in April

still keeping the 250.

Rode it for the first time today in about 2 months. Still a great bike.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #110
kkim

congrats on the cbr. they are terrific bikes.

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #111
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Yeah I'm really digging it a lot.

It's just right. It's fast but only when I want it to be. Keep the revs down and it doesn't have much punch and I'm 100% OK with that. But let the engine run up a bit and hold on... It's very light and very nimble. Seating position isn't TOO bad. Honda put their clip ons higher than the others.

Really different riding experience.

I think it compliments the 250 well.

It's really odd riding them back to back. Mostly the throttle response on stuff like downshifting. The 250 is lazy when you pull the throttle to blip. Gotta twist it like 50% or more. The CBR needs no more than 2-5% to blip it cleanly.

But you know, even as slow as the 250 is in comparison, the thing still gets up to speed quick enough.

Don't think I'm gonna sell it any the foreseeable future.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #112
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm just curious what you all think of your bikes. Do you plan to move up to a larger bike once you "get used to" the awesome 250 power and are ready to properly ride a "real" motorcycle?? Or do you feel this bike is the cat's pajamas and it is all the bike you will ever need for the rest of your life?

For me, I've moved from previous CBR 600s to this bike and cannot be happier. I like my new toy and think it will be with me for many years to come. I love working on and modding the bike just to get a bit more edge than what it currently has, but, for me, the real kicker is when I hit the twisties and am able to carve tight lines quickly and effortlessly compared to my previous bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

So, what say you? Does this bike satisfy the itch or is your ninja 250 merely a gateway drug for bigger, better, more??

I'm very interested to hear what you all feel. I'm relatively new to the board, but can see the average user here is a bit more mature (read older) and sensible.

thanks in advance for your opinion.
not only do i think that the 250 is the cats pajamas but i think its the bee's knees as well!
as far as it being a gateway, sure i'll buy into that. eventually i'll probably wind up getting another bike. but it will be in addition to the 250, not as a replacement. A new bike for me will serve a completely different purpose. for instance realistically i'll probably wind up buying one of my father in-law's many Harleys that he has sitting in his garage so that i can do some long distance touring. i'd only get one of those because i know he'd give me a killer price. if i were to just buy a bike new i'd probably get the new kawi concourse 1400
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #113
n4t
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

http://media.motortopia.com/files/91...aytona_675.jpg This is what I will be moving to at the beginning of next year when my loans are paid off But I WILL be keeping the 250

Old June 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #114
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4t View Post
http://media.motortopia.com/files/91...aytona_675.jpg This is what I will be moving to at the beginning of next year when my loans are paid off But I WILL be keeping the 250
Wow, Sexy Bike there man!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #115
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2006 honda Ruckus

I've been riding for about 9 years. The ninja 250 is the smallest displacement bike I've owned (other than my 50cc ruckus). I ride aggressively and the ninja lets me do that without getting too far past the speed limit. I can see myself wanting a bigger bike again in the future for touring, but the gas mileage, cost to own, and fun factor make the ninja 250 a mega bargain.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #116
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Initially, I was looking to buy a SV650. My friend has one and told me that since it's a v-twin it would be a little high for me and suggested that I look at the ninja 250. I searched on line and came across the pregen 250 and told him it's not what I was looking for. He knew exactly what I was looking at and told me to look at the 08+. Now, here I am with a 250. It's a great bike to start out with. Insurance is dirt cheap. It has just enough power for a daily ride. I do alot of highway riding and I think the ninja could have used a little more hp. It's weak and slow merging from the ramp. Besides that everything else seems to be very good for a 3500 bike.
I will upgrade to a cbr in 2 or 3 yrs if everything works out financially.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #117
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Initially, I was looking to buy a SV650. My friend has one and told me that since it's a v-twin it would be a little high for me and suggested that I look at the ninja 250. I searched on line and came across the pregen 250 and told him it's not what I was looking for. He knew exactly what I was looking at and told me to look at the 08+. Now, here I am with a 250. It's a great bike to start out with. Insurance is dirt cheap. It has just enough power for a daily ride. I do alot of highway riding and I think the ninja could have used a little more hp. It's weak and slow merging from the ramp. Besides that everything else seems to be very good for a 3500 bike.
I will upgrade to a cbr in 2 or 3 yrs if everything works out financially.
Get some NOS. Just drink it and then pee into the gas tank. That stuff will make you go like the dickens.

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #118
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Get some NOS. Just drink it and then pee into the gas tank. That stuff will make you go like the dickens.

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #119
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

My first 10 hours or so on a motorcycle were on a Honda Hornet (a sporty 600 cc street bike with 102 hp). I liked its power, but I read about how nice and easy the Ninja 250R is to ride, and considering how cheap it is, I ended up buying the it.

The only thing at the moment I'd want a bigger bike for, is more of an engine roar. But the sports exhaust I'm getting next week for my 250R will hopefully fix that. I'm satisfied with the 250R's power. I've only got about 2800 km under my belt with mine, and there's still much to learn for me. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade, but before I do that I've got to buy a car for the winter seasons.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #120
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

You don't need a car... You just need spiked tires!

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchan...egory_Code=SWT
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote