ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #41
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
How many guys do you know named Rebecca?
None that I'd like to admit to. My mistake though lol
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #42
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
It's all good. I don't usually take offense to things like that.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

How goes the recovery (of yourself and any bike related insurance items)?
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #44
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I'm still as good as ever. Never noticed anything unusual with my body in the past few weeks so I think it's safe to say that I got out of that one scot-free

The police dept said the police report is available now, but the insurance company still hasn't received it. I'm not really willing to pay $17 for the report when my insurance company already ordered it though so just waiting.

Old April 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #45
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Very sorry to hear about this, but I'm you weren't hurt yoo bad. Hopefully everything will go well with the other party's insurance and you can either get your bike fixed or repaced.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #46
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Great to hear that you're doing ok and the insurance items are moving toward getting resolved
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #47
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
So the insurance company just received the police report. It's siding with the other driver and the insurance company automatically goes off of that unless I have anything to provide an argument against it. Unfortunately I don't have anything. Dammit I'm pissed. I can't even begin to figure out what's wrong with my bike to fix it or to determine if it's worth fixing.

Old April 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #48
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'd question that. Bring up the fact that you were already making a left turn and therefore had the intersection claimed, while he came late to the party, ran the light, and hit you.

If not, just be glad you're healthy and well.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #49
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'd question that. Bring up the fact that you were already making a left turn and therefore had the intersection claimed, while he came late to the party, ran the light, and hit you.

If not, just be glad you're healthy and well.
Both the police and the insurance company already took my statement on the incident though. Man I should've bought that GoPro

I'm definitely still grateful I got out of that basically unharmed. A wrecked bike is much cheaper than a hospital bill anyway.

Old April 29th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #50
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Ive seen you ride and i know for a fact that you are a responsible rider. I feel for you. why isn't the bike rideable? It would be nice to take it over to the dealership and figure out an estimate. I have a little truck and we could take it to Fremont or coco powersports. Sorry I can't think of any sf kawi dealers off the top of my head.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #51
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
It doesn't turn on and and I have trouble even turning the key in the ignition. Also, I had removed the Corbin seats just in case and I had issues with putting the stock seats back on because of bent brackets and shifted plastic. Currently, no seats are actually attached to the bike.

My bike is in Fremont so the dealership isn't too far. I might take you up on that offer if I'm available. I'm in Monterey during the week so I'm only in the Bay Area on weekends.

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #52
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Is there no way you can contest the report? You clearly said HE broke the red light... Doesn't that immediately make him at fault?

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #53
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
There are no other witnesses or cameras at that intersection though, as far as I know, so it's all my word against his. Insurance agent said the police report had some crap about the angle of the crash with the timing of the lights at the intersection makes it more likely that I had a red and he had a green or something like that. I already told the same story to the police and the insurance company. Not sure what more I can do.

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #54
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I would request a copy of the police report, just so you don't have a middle man explaining it to you.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #55
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
They're sending me a copy of it too, but by postal service. You'd think they could do better than sending things solely by postal service, especially when there was already email communication going on.

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:47 AM   #56
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

did they claim both sides not at fault or did the cops actually give you a ticket?

Old May 1st, 2013, 06:02 AM   #57
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
did they claim both sides not at fault or did the cops actually give you a ticket?
California is a no-fault state so no tickets at all for something like that. Solely decided with the insurance companies.

Old May 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM   #58
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
California is a no-fault state so no tickets at all for something like that. Solely decided with the insurance companies.
you'll have to wait for a copy of the report then...

if they were not there they cannot prove fault.
you could turn on a green light and he run red light and still get the same angle.

did you take a pic of the traffic signs in the area?

Old May 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM   #59
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Insurance company already received the report and is acting based upon that. I didn't take any pictures at the time because my phone wasn't working and I couldn't turn it on.

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:45 AM   #60
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Get a lawyer
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #61
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Get a lawyer
Can't afford that. How much would a lawyer help when the police report is favoring the other guy?

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM   #62
lgk

Quote:
Can't afford that.
let the lawyer decide that.
give them a call and see if he can help.

it could be he solves it with a phone call, and gets $700 and you get $4000.

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:56 PM   #63
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Crap, I just remembered... maybe lawtigers can help you out? It's worth a shot. I know how it is when you can't afford a lawyer, especially when they want a good chunk of change to "help" you out first and foremost.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:59 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Can't afford that. How much would a lawyer help when the police report is favoring the other guy?
You may be able to get them to work on contingency, doesn't hurt to give a call and see your options
AFM #676

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM   #65
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Ok so I got the police report and it was according to the cop that because of how far the other car was in the intersection and his belief that the green arrow couldn't have been on, that I was at fault. He seems to think that I had just an ordinary green light for straight ahead. However, I definitely saw the light turn yellow, as is also noted on the report and I just realized something important regarding that. If I had a regular green light, then so would the other guy. Then there would be no reason at all for lights on my side to be turning yellow, whether it be a turn arrow or regular arrow, correct? All the lights on my side turned yellow. Only reason for that would be because the other guy started approaching the intersection on a red light.

I think I might go plant myself at that intersection some time when it's quiet just to watch the lights and document it. Hell, I was expecting to make my u-turn and then having to wait at the light for a left turn arrow, but there it was just sitting there. I grew up in the land of left turn lanes/lights so there's no way I was mistaken.

So now I have another question for all of you: would it be worthwhile to try to go to the police department and argue my case to have the report changed, or just go straight to a lawyer?

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM   #66
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Which street were you trying to turn left from? Redwood Rd or Skyline. Skyline looks like it has a protected left on Gmaps. I see all yellows on one side and at least straight greens (left arrow light view blocked by angle) on the other with a car turning left in street view if I click in a certain spot so your story seems plausible.

Check what the sequence of lights are because the cop may have assumed the wrong sequence. Most lights are both lefts on then the straights. But some are one side left and straight and other side wait then other side left and straight (low traffic). I think I've seen a few left and straight, then both straights, then other side left and straight.

If it's both lefts, and then straight (and then cross traffic) and you said he ran a straight yellow/red into (left turning) green you, it wouldn't make sense because the cross traffic would then get the green, not the left. This is what the cop may have been thinking.

Of course, this is assuming the guy didn't completely blow a solid red...

I think the insurance is who determines liability $$ but the cop could also give the other guy a ticket.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:58 PM   #67
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I was turning left from Skyline. Left was going back to Castro Valley and right was toward the rest of Oakland. My side was green for both a left turn and straight ahead. I saw the guy coming from a little ways away and he didn't seem to make an effort to slow down even though he was most certainly coming toward a red light. Even if I was catching the end of a yellow, his light wouldn't have been green yet; he would've still been blasting right through a red.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #68
lgk

Quote:
Ok so I got the police report and it was according to the cop that because of how far the other car was in the intersection and his belief that the green arrow couldn't have been on, that I was at fault. He seems to think that I had just an ordinary green light for straight ahead. However, I definitely saw the light turn yellow, as is also noted on the report and I just realized something important regarding that. If I had a regular green light, then so would the other guy. Then there would be no reason at all for lights on my side to be turning yellow, whether it be a turn arrow or regular arrow, correct? All the lights on my side turned yellow. Only reason for that would be because the other guy started approaching the intersection on a red light.

I think I might go plant myself at that intersection some time when it's quiet just to watch the lights and document it. Hell, I was expecting to make my u-turn and then having to wait at the light for a left turn arrow, but there it was just sitting there. I grew up in the land of left turn lanes/lights so there's no way I was mistaken.

So now I have another question for all of you: would it be worthwhile to try to go to the police department and argue my case to have the report changed, or just go straight to a lawyer?
go straight to a lawyer.
you won't get very far with the cops.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #69
ninja33
ninjette.org member

Name: Trish

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

I don't know how much ins. is on the 300's but all I know is that I have the fullest ins I can get.....just for people like that!!! Glad your ok!!!
ninja33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #70
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Crap, I just remembered... maybe lawtigers can help you out? It's worth a shot. I know how it is when you can't afford a lawyer, especially when they want a good chunk of change to "help" you out first and foremost.
I second this. If i remember right, they don't charge you a cent unless they win your case. Nothing to loose, and a lawyer is the only way you'll get your voice heard. Good luck and glad you're not injured.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #71
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Ok I'll give Law Tigers a shot. I've only gotten more pissed about this.

My parents are calling racism on this incident too, due to their prior experiences. Other guy is a white guy, the cop is a white guy, and I'm an asian female. Awesome, didn't think about that.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
****ing white guys
AFM #676

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #73
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Well there is also that annoying stereotype about female asian drivers

At least I wasn't driving a minivan hahaha. /bad asian joke

Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #74
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Did you have on one of those ridiculous sun visor shade things and a surgical mask?
AFM #676

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:32 AM   #75
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:
Ok I'll give Law Tigers a shot. I've only gotten more pissed about this.

My parents are calling racism on this incident too, due to their prior experiences. Other guy is a white guy, the cop is a white guy, and I'm an asian female. Awesome, didn't think about that.
I don't know if it's so much racism as sexism. I have known a LOT of people who assume any accident involving a bike is a woman's fault. Often times, just any accident. I was stopped at a stop sign and a bicyclist plowed into the corner of my Jeep. Somehow that accident was my fault even though I wasn't moving...

You really should look into a lawyer or go down and watch the lights. Heck, even video tape the lights and take it in. Don't let the ball get dropped on this one. Glad you are ok though!

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM   #76
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper64 View Post
I don't know if it's so much racism as sexism. I have known a LOT of people who assume any accident involving a bike is a woman's fault. Often times, just any accident. I was stopped at a stop sign and a bicyclist plowed into the corner of my Jeep. Somehow that accident was my fault even though I wasn't moving...

You really should look into a lawyer or go down and watch the lights. Heck, even video tape the lights and take it in. Don't let the ball get dropped on this one. Glad you are ok though!
To be fair, a man would have sensed the danger and moved out of the way.
AFM #676

Old May 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #77
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Get a lawyer and fast. Make no statement to that insurance company till you do. With them siding with him they may come after you for his damages as well. Find out if they made a claim against your liability policy. I would call it a win if you both just fix your own stuff and call it even. If you decide not to fix it at least you have a part out option to make some money back. I do hope since you only had liability on the bike you are not making payments.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #78
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Get a lawyer and fast. Make no statement to that insurance company till you do. With them siding with him they may come after you for his damages as well. Find out if they made a claim against your liability policy. I would call it a win if you both just fix your own stuff and call it even. If you decide not to fix it at least you have a part out option to make some money back. I do hope since you only had liability on the bike you are not making payments.
I consulted a lawyer and he said I really don't have much to work off of since there weren't any proper witnesses and there's an adverse police report. Insurance company is already ready to pay for the other guy's stuff, but I don't know if the guy has made a claim with his insurance yet. I'll be talking to the lawyer again, but right now it's looking like my only way out of this is finding a way to prove my position to the police officer and having him change the report...

Went back to the intersection tonight with friends. Had a friend loop around through the intersection while my other friend and I watched and filmed until we caught the light pattern I saw before. That light does stay green a relatively long time compared to most lights, even when there's cars coming from other directions. It's also just a really weird light in general.

I bought the bike outright in cash. I did get comprehensive, but not collision because I was more worried about someone stealing my bike than getting in an accident. I figured I got the crashing all out of my system back when I got my first bike and ended up in the ICU

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #79
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Good luck on getting everything fixed!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #80
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Followed up with the lawyer. He had consulted with other attorneys and said there's nothing they can do for me. I even asked if they could possibly help me with getting the police report changed and was told that the police pretty much as a rule don't do that. I also confirmed that the other guy has already filed a claim with his insurance. Awesome. I'll still try to deal with the police myself, but I might be completely ****ed.