ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 10th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #1
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Name: N/A

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Oil and Temp Light Stay On

Got my bike back together after waiting on some parts and being a little too busy. After starting it up, the bikes Oil and Temp light didn't turn off. Checked the oil level and coolant level again just to be sure, both were fine.

I had just adjusted the valves and tore up the carbs. Oil and coolant were changed, new filter, etc. I double checked all my wires and hoses before starting up and there were no leaks before and after starting it up. For the few moments I let it run (10 seconds or so) the engine sounded fine, no knocking, slapping, etc. The high beam, turn lights, fuel gauge, tach, etc all functioned properly.

I had read that the oil and heat light form some kind of circuit and both lights being on could be due to a bad ground along that circuit.

Does anyone have some suggestions for trouble shooting?

TLDR: Started up, oil and temp light stays on.

-oil + filter and coolant were changed
-valves adjusted, had to remove rad. hoses, mounts, etc. on right side.
-replaced cylinder head cover gasket
-replaced spark plug gaskets
-replaced water pipe o-ring that going into cylinder head
-carb cleaned
-the rest of the gauge cluster works fine.
-no terrible noises while it ran.

I thought I would post this up right now and maybe get some input while I continue doing some searching.

Thanks

Edit:
In the service manual under water temp warning system

"The water temperature warning light goes on when the ignition switch is turned on and goes off soon after the en- gine starts running (oil pressure switch off) to ensure that its circuit functions properly. The warning light also goes on whenever the coolant temperature rises to 110 ∼ 120°C (230 ∼ 248°F) when the motorcycles is in operation. If it stays on, stop the engine and check the coolant level in the reserve tank after the engine cools down."

I may be reading this wrong, but It seems to say that if the oil pressure switch is off, then the water temp light will go off. So if my oil pressure switch isn't turning off then both lights will stay on.
IF this is true, then for this to be the cause there would need to be a wire from the switch grounding out somewhere?
Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

-In the mean time I am going to check the local auto parts store for a cheap oil pressure gauge and plug that in, see what I get.

Edit: Should have brought the Switch with me, none of the fittings are the correct thread size. Looks like I'll pick this back up tomorrow.

Last futzed with by The Seldom One; September 10th, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
The Seldom One is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

If you only ran it for 10 seconds after an oil change, that wasn't enough time for the system to read pressure as the oil filter was dry......especially if it was running at a low rpm.
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #3
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuckGoat View Post
If you only ran it for 10 seconds after an oil change, that wasn't enough time for the system to read pressure as the oil filter was dry......especially if it was running at a low rpm.
10 seconds may be an under estimate. It was long enough that I didn't feel comfortable letting it continue running before I double checked the levels. Then gave it one more shot and it did the same deal and shut it off since I am worried about engine damage from there potentially being low oil pressure. It was idling around 1,400 rpm during that time.

Anyways, you are suggesting that I let it run for a longer period? What is an acceptable about of time for it to build oil pressure after an oil change, in your opinion? I would think it shouldn't take more than a couple seconds.

I have never had an oil pressure light stay on after a change, so I am a little skeptical.

Old September 10th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seldom One View Post
.....After starting it up, the bikes Oil and Temp light didn't turn off. Checked the oil level and coolant level again just to be sure, both were fine.

I had just adjusted the valves and tore up the carbs. Oil and coolant were changed, new filter, etc. .......
Did you verify the oil level while having the bike in vertical position and on both wheels?

Did you purge the cooling system?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #5
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Did you verify the oil level while having the bike in vertical position and on both wheels?

Did you purge the cooling system?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F
Yes, prior to the initial start up I had checked all fluid levels. The fluid levels were fine. I burped all the coolant hoses and was going to bleed the remaining air in it after it started running.

Old September 10th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #6
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

Mine usually stays on for at least 10 seconds everyday until I give the throttle a little blip.

If you sit on it, hold the bike vertical off the kickstand, start it and give the throttle one or 2 blips, the light SHOULD go off within 30 seconds.

This is all assuming that you put the oil filter in correctly, and your wiring is correct...even though you said you double checked it.
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #7
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuckGoat View Post
Mine usually stays on for at least 10 seconds everyday until I give the throttle a little blip.

If you sit on it, hold the bike vertical off the kickstand, start it and give the throttle one or 2 blips, the light SHOULD go off within 30 seconds.

This is all assuming that you put the oil filter in correctly, and your wiring is correct...even though you said you double checked it.
Maybe I should triple check it, huh? Don't tempt me, my paranoia will get the best of me.

Thanks for the input, I'll give this a shot tomorrow after I determine I have oil pressure.

Old September 11th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #8
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Update

No shops had correct adapters to run the oil pressure gauge, getting one tomorrow at a specialty shop.

Since I couldn't do that, I drained the oil (again...), removed the filter and double checked it was installed correctly, as well as removed and cleaned the oil screen and inspected for metal shavings etc. The screen was super clean but had two very very small pieces of metal and a couple other needle point sized pieces (sand sized), which I pulled up with a magnet. I don't think that is to cause alarm unless someone else thinks other wise. Tested the oil pressure switch and it functions how it should, is on when grounded and off when pressure is applied. Reinstalled all the junk, doubled checked, decided to start it up and the light was still on. Now I didn't let it run for long, once again. If someone can tell me with close to guarantee that it MAY take longer for it to build sufficient oil pressure after an oil change (I had let it drain for a very long period while working on it) then I will be convinced to give it a shot for a slightly longer amount of time.
If not, I hope the oil pressure gauge shows its all ok tomorrow...

I guess my question to anyone willing to answer would be is there anything I could have accidentally fiddled with while doing the maintenance I stated earlier?

Also, does anyone know what the oil pump is run off of?

Old September 11th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #9
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Oil pump is gear driven off the clutch side. If you want to test it longer to see if the light goes out there is a simple solution.

Remove the spark plugs and tie the wires off to the side to prevent arcing. Thumb the starter button until the light goes out. There's enough speed in the starter motor to produce oil pressure to activate the switch and you don't have to worry about damage.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #10
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Oil pump is gear driven off the clutch side. If you want to test it longer to see if the light goes out there is a simple solution.

Remove the spark plugs and tie the wires off to the side to prevent arcing. Thumb the starter button until the light goes out. There's enough speed in the starter motor to produce oil pressure to activate the switch and you don't have to worry about damage.
Just about 10 minutes ago I resolved the problem, I found a few threads online that you can get air stuck at the oil pump and it won't build pressure and to solve it you should just barely crack the oil filter. I figured I'd give it a shot and try it very carefully. Cracked it and cranked it, after a couple seconds the light went off.
Incase anyone reads this and has a similar issue, I had let my oil drain for a long time while working on my bike, I suspect this caused the issue.

Regardless, I appreciate the response, I'll keep that in mind incase I ever run into a similar issue again.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #12
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seldom One View Post
Just about 10 minutes ago I resolved the problem, I found a few threads online that you can get air stuck at the oil pump and it won't build pressure and to solve it you should just barely crack the oil filter. I figured I'd give it a shot and try it very carefully. Cracked it and cranked it, after a couple seconds the light went off.
Incase anyone reads this and has a similar issue, I had let my oil drain for a long time while working on my bike, I suspect this caused the issue.

Regardless, I appreciate the response, I'll keep that in mind incase I ever run into a similar issue again.
good find! How long did you let it drain?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #13
The Seldom One
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
good find! How long did you let it drain?
I don't remember exactly, but I think I had left the drain bolt out for a day or so, maybe the oil filter too.