ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #81
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Wow, wow and wow You'll be telling that to your grandkids I bet.

Were you surfing on the bike for a bit then?
Yes somehow, someway... bike was laying on its left side. My right hand was holiding upright gas side of bar-left hand grabbing something on top of engine...one foot on engine- other leg flailing about. I remember clearly looking at my wifes right leg under bike-her dragging on her back on road. I saw wall coming and braced each time. Nothing I could do but ride it out. It must have been a really large sheet of ice. I picked bike up off of her, checked her out, pushed bike to other end of tunnel where a Ranger was standing there waiting on me. It was very cold and we did not have right gear at all. The snow was blowing up thru tunnel like "snow snakes"... if you have seen em then you know what they are. The Ranger was cussing the hell out of me. We were allowed to leave like I said about an hour later. We ended up back in Cherokee where it was in high 50's low 60 degree temps. The wreck was so bad that it drug my left side engine guard so bad that I just removed it. The CX500 heads stick way out on either side, its probably what saved her leg from more damage. True story here, glad you guys are enjoying it! I guess what sticks out most in my mind is how one second we were headed up thru the tunnel. The next second I was looking at just where I came from going backwards up thru the tunnel. I honestly believe I must have ridden 20 or more feet BACKWARDS before it fell over! I don't know how I did that... its gotta be against some law of physics. Was surely not my skill. I truly hope that I don't have any more wrecks to talk about here later!

Old November 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #82
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Wet leaves+under front wheel+squeezing front brake= OUCH!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #83
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@highpsiguy: Despite what ever mistakes you made, it seems a bit irresponsible for the Ranger to keep you out there in those low temperatures when your wife was injured. He could have turned one problem into two.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #84
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
@highpsiguy: Despite what ever mistakes you made, it seems a bit irresponsible for the Ranger to keep you out there in those low temperatures when your wife was injured. He could have turned one problem into two.
Na, I felt like I got off easy. There were several people who had slid off highway in their cars above tunnel. He really had his hands full. I was just a dumb kid who got a lucky break. I have been better prepared for weather ever since... also a big fan of engine crashguards and lookng at the weather before I leave for a trip.

Old November 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #85
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
I was just a kid, stupid mistake....educations can be expensive. Glad Ranger forgot me as it is one of my favorite roads
It's one of my favorite roads too. Glad he forgot about you! Wow, great lessons shared. Scary to think back on our "noob" days. Thank goodness our 250s can be so forgiving!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #86
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
It's one of my favorite roads too. Glad he forgot about you! Wow, great lessons shared. Scary to think back on our "noob" days. Thank goodness our 250s can be so forgiving!
I'm still in my "noob" days

I don't really push the bike though, so I probably don't have too much to be scared about... I think

If I had started riding when I was in my teens I'd have created way more danger.

Old November 28th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #87
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Good point. I always try to consider myself a noob so I stay in a constant state of learning, but thinking back to my cluelessness as a beginner is kind of frightening!

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #88
Pure Lunacy
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): '06 Vulcan V2K Classic LT, '03 Vulcan 800 Classic, '00/'89 Ninja 250, '73 Honda ST90

I could post some gory pics from my '94 accident that left me paralyzed from the knees down & other residual effects (I'm ambulitory with the aid of braces).
What did I learn....if your mentally prepared, don't give up your dream & passions. I didn't give up riding.
Yup, hospital bills are very expensive. 10 plus operations, over 90 units of blood, & a total of 5 months in the hospital. My total bill was 2.3 million. "OUCH", but I didn't have to pay that much, just 108K out of pocket.

Also, things happen for a reason....my accident file was used to help save someone's life 5 years later due to similar injuries. Who was this person....Stephen King of course, when he was run over in the summer of '99.

Life is good, just open your eyes to it.

This is me & my ZX-7 before the accident

This is the bike or part of the bike after the accident

My leg in the "Tin Lizzy" fixator which was severed.

Anyone curious about my accident or all of them in chronological order from '84-'97, take a look at my Picasa site.
Pure Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #89
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

wow dude...and you still ride? I gotta hand it to you man, you're the freaking MAN!
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #90
Pure Lunacy
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): '06 Vulcan V2K Classic LT, '03 Vulcan 800 Classic, '00/'89 Ninja 250, '73 Honda ST90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
wow dude...and you still ride? I gotta hand it to you man, you're the freaking MAN!
I thank you, but I don't feel that way. I could have been much worse off and consider myself lucky.
I mostly ride my Vulcan 2000 (2053cc) cruiser since it has a heel/toe shif so I can shift normally.
The Ninja in my collection was a project and a 2nd bike for the wife (I've always wanted one and this was a great excuse) to ride, but I have fun on it also. I have to upshift by hand, but it's a blast running around town on it.
Pure Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #91
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Most crashes are very avoidable using your brain.

There seem to be 3 categories of crashes. #1 I didn't watch what I was running over. #2 I was going too fast. #3 Another driver trashed me. It looks like 70-80% of "crashes" are #1 gravel/stones, a stick, an oil patch, a curb. Basically just stuff you CAN run over, but not carelessly. Very few seem to be "an SUV sideswiped me". It seems as if they are caused by a mind lapse for the most part. Just not paying attention to where their front wheel is going. I'd love to say "If you were obeying the speed limit it wouldn't have happened". But that doesn't seem to be the case in most dumps. Most are "I was dumb, and hurt my bike".

Then there are the serious ones. #2 and #3 crashes. I'd say at least half of them are going over the speed limit crashes. The other half are where "An idiot in a cage was involved" type wrecks. As for the going too fast ones.. If you are breaking the law and crash, it doesn't matter that much to me. Save it for the track. I'm not here to help you increase your skills to the point you can go way fast on public roads and not get hurt. You might not crash, but you will give me a bad reputation by breaking the law all the time. If you crash it will hurt my insurance, but maybe you'll learn. Go way fast on public roads and crash is ok with me. See Darwin's work on natural selection.

The accidents where you are tooling along and get squished by an idiot in a cage all I can say is ride scared. All the cages want to kill you. They are old and feeble, they are texting, they don't use their mirrors, they are in a hurry, or they are just dumb. Ride scared and keep some distance between you and them. Having them telling the police "I didn't see him" isn't going to help you a bit when your bike is totaled and you are dead or paralyzed. You are not Superman, your bike is small and fragile and so are your bones. Ride scared! There is a very small percentage of "a deer jumped out in front of me" but it is very small. I won't address acts of God/Karma because there is little defense from them besides gear.

If you pay attention to what your front wheel is about to run over you avoid many crashes. If you keep your speed legal you avoid many more. And if you ride scared you avoid many. This is why you run into some old guy that has been riding for 40 years and never really had a wreck. It is also why some young people have had 3 already. It isn't just luck. Use your brain.
Enough of a rant. Feel free to correct me..
- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #92
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@JoeLansing: I'm not sure that being "scared" is the best idea. "Cautious" maybe.

Being scared and in a state of fear seems to make people act irrationally. eg: "OH NO: the terrorists!! Quick take all my rights away!" or "OH NO: I'm being attacked: Quick, curl up in a quivering ball and hope the attacker magically disappears." or "OH NO: my wheels are loosing traction: I really hope I don't end up in that ditch... that ditch... that... * crash *"

I have personal experience with that last example

I think we can make good decisions without needing to be scared. Further more: I think being scared is often detrimental to making good decisions.

Old November 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #93
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
How do you run over a curb?

Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #94
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Angry

Never go on gravel! Ever!

Old December 4th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #95
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
Never go on gravel! Ever!
Better yet, learn how to ride on gravel. Don't avoid it because there will be times in your riding career where you may encounter it on the streets and be forced to ride in it. Gravel can be fun! Just weight your pegs and stay totally loose on the bars, and do NOT use the front brake. Hubby and I ride gravel roads all the time during our country rides. Our bikes can handle them if the rider knows how!

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #96
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Better yet, learn how to ride on gravel. Don't avoid it because there will be times in your riding career where you may encounter it on the streets and be forced to ride in it. Gravel can be fun! Just weight your pegs and stay totally loose on the bars, and do NOT use the front brake. Hubby and I ride gravel roads all the time during our country rides. Our bikes can handle them if the rider knows how!
What do you mean by "weight your pegs"?

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #97
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I find it easier to have most of my weight off the seat and on the pegs. It lowers the center of gravity and just seems smoother on gravel. It's quite a workout for your quads, but it really helps stabilize the bike.

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #98
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Cool, thanks for the tip. Will try it out. The car-park for my new place of work has a gravel surface, so I have plenty of time to practice.

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #99
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Cool. I hope it helps! Use your knees to absorb the shock so no tension gets transferred to the bars. Weighting the pegs helps with that too.

Old December 7th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #100
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Warm your tires before turning hard. Also, yes, that is a rear brake, and respect it because messing with it is the quickest way to be thrown off in a highside. Don't downshift *that* quick if you don't know exactly what your doing. Watch out for a soaking wet log of newspaper bag on your driveway. When pushing bike up doorstep into living room because it is going to rain make sure you don't slip and hit a flower pot and crack your fairing. Yep, thats about it!
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #101
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ lol @ your really specific lessons. That flowerpot is patiently waiting for a second go at smashing your fairings

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:20 AM   #102
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 'jette, R6

From two crashes on public roads I learned that I would probably rather be at a racetrack where it's "safe."
Kangxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:50 AM   #103
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

The Tank is a lot harder than my knee!!!!!!!

I was On my way to the bike shop to get some service parts for my Honda VF750 saber doing a U turn ( here they have U turns that go under the highway ) and the U turn had about 3 to 4 inches of water across the road which had been there long enough that the concrete beneath was green and slippy. I was taking it slow as to avoid touching the brakes and the bike stopped suddenly and i was on the floor in the water with the bike on top of me and a dent in the tank from my knee.

After investigation we found a caliper had been sticking and had locked on which i hadn't noticed on braking before the turn from around 60 mph to about 10

Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #104
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
The Tank is a lot harder than my knee!!!!!!!

I was On my way to the bike shop to get some service parts for my Honda VF750 saber doing a U turn ( here they have U turns that go under the highway ) and the U turn had about 3 to 4 inches of water across the road which had been there long enough that the concrete beneath was green and slippy. I was taking it slow as to avoid touching the brakes and the bike stopped suddenly and i was on the floor in the water with the bike on top of me and a dent in the tank from my knee.

After investigation we found a caliper had been sticking and had locked on which i hadn't noticed on braking before the turn from around 60 mph to about 10
That sounds really annoying!

Have you got a bigger picture of that bike in your avatar image? I'm curious about what it looks like. It looks kinda 80s-futuristic!

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #105
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
That sounds really annoying!

Have you got a bigger picture of that bike in your avatar image? I'm curious about what it looks like. It looks kinda 80s-futuristic!
sorry i dont i just got it from an avatar web site

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #106
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
sorry i dont i just got it from an avatar web site
Boo! That sucks.

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM   #107
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Damage to my bike is better then damage to me... dislocated my shoulder again when i 1st got the bike... it still hurts.. my bike= $45 for new blinker
mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #108
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I have learned two main lessons:

1) That water is the best lubricant for rubber / steel.

Demonstration of that physics fact: Crossing a rail track that was not perpendicular to the road while it was raining.

No braking is necessary; the front tire just happily follows the direction of the rail track (while your helmet hits the road).

Solution: Change your path direction (within the limits of your lane, if possible), so you cross over in a perfectly perpendicular manner.

2) That the best advice about the less dangerous state of mind for a street motorcycle rider that I've read came from Bruce Lee:

"Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #109
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I have learned two main lessons:
Totally love your lessons!

Quote:
1) That water is the best lubricant for rubber / steel.

Demonstration of that physics fact: Crossing a rail track that was not perpendicular to the road while it was raining.

No braking is necessary; the front tire just happily follows the direction of the rail track (while your helmet hits the road).

Solution: Change your path direction (within the limits of your lane, if possible), so you cross over in a perfectly perpendicular manner.
I watch a vlogger called ashf00t. Only time she's ever been down was when the physical properties of steel train tracks, rubber tyres and water were at play. Good lesson.

Quote:
2) That the best advice about the less dangerous state of mind for a street motorcycle rider that I've read came from Bruce Lee:

"Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come."
That's a really awesome quote! I'm saving that one.

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #110
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Bruce Lee

Old February 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #111
Liv2ride2liv
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Back to topic....
Hahahah that' picture said it all
Liv2ride2liv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #112
tazz
ninjette.org member

Name: Gaurav

Motorcycle(s): (2011)Ninja 250r,(2008)Yamaha yzf-R15

• Dont lend the bike to a pal, even for 30 mins. Thats a crash waiting to happen.
  • Fixing up a bike is an expensive affair.

Old March 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #113
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

What I've learned from crashes, slides & near misses:
1) no matter how well you react to a situation there's always something else (like a wet patch of tar 2in across) that will catch you.

2)Irish mountain roads disintigerate into gravel over winter.
3)You can supermoto slide a ninja, it's probably not the best way to corner tho

4)Keeping pace with an 08 fireblade is fun, trying to match it's braking power on the other hand...

I met up with a few lads at a staging point for a charity run, the group got split up & I ended up following a lad (Stu) on an 08 blade who knew the route better than I did. on the final run in both of us were doing indicated 100mph, Stu leading the way realised we were about to overshoot the unmarked petrol station enterance dropped anchors & hit the indicator to turn in for the charity ride out's meeting point.
I rolled off, kicked it down 6->5 & the bike accelerated, hit the limiter & backfired as I passed the blade. I got it down another 2 gears & to a just about down to reasonable pace before I tucked it in to the petrol station forecourt.

@akima the bike in that avatar is a 97/98 zx6r
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #114
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what i learned from crashing...

the correct way to take a corner:
brake.
point the bike.
pin it.

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #115
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

1 crash = don't learn to ride your ninja when it's wet and about -2 ...=icy

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #116
extremez31
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): 94 EX250, 81 GS450

I can add to this one.

Last summer I took out my 02' Monster 750 to meet up with a friend for a little road trip. On my way to meet my buddy 20 miles into the ride I was behind a large box truck keeping my distance and going approx 30 mph. Suddenly someone pulled out of a parking lot in front of him causing him to stop short.By the time I realized what was happening I was approx 30-50 feet from him and I panicked. Grabbed the front brake and then suddenly I was going down on my left side. I managed to get on my back and as the bike's sliding away from me. I remember thinking $hit, I hope the car behind me is paying attention, I completely loosened my body and prepared for a deadly impact.

Didn't let go of the bike until I was close the floor, I immediately got on my back, bent my knees and put my heels down. Wore a textile riding jacket. Wore a helmet. Kept my head off the pavement. Kept body loose in case impact.

I snowboard and am used to falling, when I fall, I dig my board broadside into the snow with my knees bent to slow down / stop. I also put my palms down, I wasn't wearing gloves and didn't feel the road eating my hands. I was also not wearing any impact protection or riding pants. This accident could have killed me. I was also wearing an open face helmet.

I walked away with road rash on my palms which took 2 weeks to heal. Minor rash on my left leg and elbow.

I should have been paying more attention to the traffic ahead, I should have not grabbed the brakes and came to a controlled stop, I did have plenty of room to stop.

I now have a full leather jacket, riding gloves, knee/shin protecters, kevlar pants, riding shorts, a full face helmet & riding boots

The damage was extensive, bars bent into tank, Tank rash and huge dent, Left rearset shattered, Shifter bent, Clutch lever and master cylinder with severe rash, rear cowl rash, Headlight rash, engine cover rash.. In total $3,300 worth of damage according to the adjuster.

Please ride safe, wear full gear.
extremez31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #117
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

1. Hitting a pot hole and then leaning on a sewer plate while just entering a corner can still make you kiss pavement.

2. You can never go too slow around a corner.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #118
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Me and wildlife don't get along very well. I have been attached by the following; wasps, owls (3 different times, wow right?!?!?!?), dogs and large turtle (whole other thread on this).

Oddly enough, I have scuba dived with sharks without incident. Go Figure
3 owls? Have you thought about a different haircut? It's obviously being mistaken for a rodent or other small animal of some sort.

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #119
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I learned that you shouldn't call the person who hit you a ****head dipshit cum bubbling **** unless you have full mobility, you may need their help.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #120
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
3 owls? Have you thought about a different haircut? It's obviously being mistaken for a rodent or other small animal of some sort.
I am thinking nest... but it don't matter much anymore, I am loosing it cause I am old.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote