ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 6th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #1
alex192
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (FI)

Indicator Problem - Turn Signals Not Working

Hi guys,

A problem I found out last time I came to ride my bike was that none of the indicators / turn signals are working, not even the light on the dashboard.

I checked the fuse just now which was absolutely fine, changed it for another one anyway and it fixed the problem (all indicators worked; everything back to normal, could hear the relay clicking on and off). Sprayed some electrical contact cleaner around the fuses, then realised that they stopped working again!

Spent ages spraying contact cleaner, switching out fuses for new ones and could not get the indicators working again.

Bought a new relay (not a direct replacement as it was 4 pin and slightly higher current rating compared to the stock 2 pin one, but the guy in the shop said it should work), and that didnt fix the problem.

Wondering if you guys could point me in a new direction as to what could be wrong? Pretty sure its not the bulbs as all 4 worked momentarily. What I thought it could be:

- Original relay is temperamental and the one the guy in the shop gave me is not the right one

- Switch at handlebars is not working

- Wiring somewhere (although I checked the connections into the fuse box and into the relay).

Must point out I am using stock turn signals.

Electrical problems extremely frustrating! Cheers for the help.
alex192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex192 View Post
......... changed it for another one anyway and it fixed the problem (all indicators worked; everything back to normal, could hear the relay clicking on and off)...............

- Original relay is temperamental and the one the guy in the shop gave me is not the right one.
The first statement suggest a loose contact around the fuse box and before the switch.

The second statement is easily verifiable by-passing the relay.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #3
alex192
ninjette.org member

Thanks for response.

So if I bridge the connector which plugs into the relay with a small piece of wire, should this show if it is the relay which is the problem (ie if all lights come on, it is the relay. If no lights come on, then it is probably a problem with the wiring, especially as the relay was working earlier)?

I'll have another check over the connectors into the fuse box and into the relay.

Old December 6th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for response.

So if I bridge the connector which plugs into the relay with a small piece of wire, should this show if it is the relay which is the problem (ie if all lights come on, it is the relay. If no lights come on, then it is probably a problem with the wiring, especially as the relay was working earlier)?

I'll have another check over the connectors into the fuse box and into the relay.
Yes, but you have to have the hand switch turned one side or the other.

Take a look at the circuit:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Wiring_...s_%26_diagrams

Old December 6th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
And get the proper turn indicator relay

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #6
alex192
ninjette.org member

Wiring diagram helped a lot, thanks.

Just went out to the bike now and traced each wire and found the fault to be at the ignition barrel. Managed to get the indicators flashing with the existing relay by simply moving the thick cable that comes out of the ignition barrel, so they are working for the time being.

In terms of cutting open the thick heatshrink that is holding together all of the cables to get access to the wire for the indicators, is there an easier way of getting to the cables through the back of the lock barrel? To be honest I don't really want to go about dismantling the lock barrel.

Also noticed that the heat shrink containing all of the wires from the ignition barrel is zip tied to one side right after the point where it exits the bottom of the ignition barrel. Is it common for Kawasaki to use zip ties in the factory or is this is a sign that someone has been in there before me?

Cheers for help guys, solving the problem slowly!

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Wiring diagram helped a lot, thanks.

.............Also noticed that the heat shrink containing all of the wires from the ignition barrel is zip tied to one side right after the point where it exits the bottom of the ignition barrel. Is it common for Kawasaki to use zip ties in the factory or is this is a sign that someone has been in there before me?

Cheers for help guys, solving the problem slowly!
You are welcome, Alex

I don't know about the zip tie.

You may find some useful information in this article:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...gnition_switch