ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 27th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

1983 GR650 Restoration - Where to start?

Hello everyone,

I have a 1983 Suzuki Tempter GR650 which I am attempting to restore. Little background on the bike. It had idling issues (would sit around 1.2k then jump to 3-4k then drop back down), and it would also shut down either mid ride, or when idling (this was before I rode this bike, so I'm unsure of the specifics). We brought it to a shop and they fixed up the carbs. Also, they said this should fix the running issues it was having. At this point, I was looking to do a mostly cosmetic restoration, fixing up the mechanics while going along. However, I took the bike out last night for a test run to a friend's house. It ran fine to his house, turned off/on without issue, but then shut down while idling at a stop light going into a gas station. Also, it gave a lot of trouble starting up after filling up at the gas station. Today, I cleaned up the chain and went to start the bike up to adjust the idle (thinking that may be the shutdown issue because it was idling right around 1k). It started up fine, but once I shut it off, it wouldn't start again. There is also an oil leak coming from (I believe) the top of the engine too, suspecting it to be a gasket that needs to be replaced. I think I would like to do as much of a rebuild as I am able to so that this bike gets up and running again. I am just unsure of how to do a restoration; where to begin, things to be aware of, parts to replace etc. I'm using this bike very much as a means of learning about motorcycles and their functioning. I am following along with a shop manual and am pretty good with technical things, so I definitely want to give this a shot.

Any insight that anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated!
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
That is an impressive project for an inexperienced person regarding motorcycles.

First, you need to find a very good mechanic, for advise more than for doing the work, if you really want to learn and to have some hands-on experience.

If the internals of the engine (crankshaft, bearings, clutch and transmission) are still in good condition, you will be able to repair and service the rest with a good manual and some tools (which you may need to buy as you advance).

I am not familiar with the bike, but this article explain that it has a couple of innovations for that time, one of which may be causing your problems: the air intake by-pass into the admission valves (I am not sure, just guessing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GR650_Tempter

Yours may be a simple electrical problem, related to weak sparks, which is more evident at low rpms'.

If the valves are adjustable, that will be a great point to start, as well as replacing the spark plugs and cleaning all the electrical contacts, the gas tank and petcock if they look suspicious.

This website is very good for general repairs:
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Thanks so much for the reply! I definitely know this has the potential to be a large project, but since this isn't my main bike, I'm absolutely going to be taking my time on it. Definitely this one is meant to be a learning experience, I'll see if I can find someone for advice as this goes along. It may be a while until I can start working on it (Winter may put this on hold), but definitely will post updates as they come along!
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maielstrom View Post
Thanks so much for the reply!................ It may be a while until I can start working on it (Winter may put this on hold), but definitely will post updates as they come along!
You are welcome, Eric

For the winter, empty the bowls of the carbs and the gas tank and release some pressure from the tires.

Please do update us !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Great find! These bikes are actually simple and easy to work on, and I agree that you should find a nearby mechanic who knows old bikes, but you'll probably be fine doing all the work yourself.

The things to start with are the obvious: tires, steering head bearings, fork oil and seals, brake lines and pads, valve and timing adjustment, plugs, chain, shocks. A lot of carb problems result from rust or dirt in the tank, or from petcock problems (petcocks aren't designed to last 30 years). Old electrical systems also have a lot of problems with corrosion in the bullet connectors, and with failed stators and regulator/rectifiers. These things can all be upgraded, and parts are still available.

The Tempter is essentially a Suzuki GS, and so largely bulletproof. A great resource for restoration and mechanical advice is the GS Resources forum (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php) and BikeCliff's Suzuki site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/). Real gold mines.

Also, check out this guy's site: http://tcmcstuff.tripod.com/gr650.htm

Good luck with the project.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote